Help me with my **possible** perioral dermatitis

Posted , 98 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I am at my wits end with my skin and wondered if anyone could suggest anything.

About eight months ago I went on a course of antibiotics for a wound that wouldn't heal. It did the trick, but a couple of days after I finished the course I began to get huge flakes of skin coming off each side of my nose and just under it. There was no real redness at first, just extremely flaky skin, which Ive never had before.

This then turned red on one side and was quite sore. This cleared up, but switched to the OTHER side of my nose and this is what I have had ever since.

It has come and gone in various degrees of severity, but generally, it is red and mildly flaky/dry with lots of little bumps which look like acne but never come to a head. Having said that, I have been getting cystic type acne right in the fold of the nose recently.

TREATMENT: I initially googled the problem and concluded it was perorial dermatitis. I didn't want steroids as I know that makes it worse, so I went to the doctor (who didn't know what it was and had to GOOGLE perioral derm!?)who gave me DUAC cream. That helped a bit but it just came back.

I have since been to numerous doctors who have given me everything which I have eventually tried.

I was advised to use an anti fungal cream,so used canesten (without steroid in it). This gave me some kind of allergic reaction and i got eczema all around the area where I used it. To treat this separate condition -ergh) i was prescribed a steroid cream, daktacort, which made the eczema go away but then the PD came back worse and now I'm back to square one.

I'm almost positive its a classic case of PD, and since I tried everything the only option is antibiotics. However, I am EXTREMELY reluctant to take any seeing as it would seem that anti biotics gave me it in the first place! It all started as soon as I finished a course of them, having never had it in my life before.

I have no idea what to do, and would appreciate ANY advice. Apologies for the huge post!

Note: I should also add that I have tried lots of home remedies like coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar which have helped mildly but not gotten rid of it. In the past three months I've also cut out wheat, sugar, dairy and yeast (considering it may be candida overgrowth). I even switched to fluoride free toothpaste. Nothing has gotten rid of it! (except the steroid/anti-fungal, and only temporarily!)

6 likes, 441 replies

441 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oops, Fat Fingers, Posted before I had chance to review :-)
  • Posted

The stimulation of HGH (Human Growth Hormone) is the Next Chapter but you must complete the First stage. If you are not worried about Pharmaceutical products Coconut Lover and your overgrowth is Chronic, You can start with a 6 month course of Lamasil Tablets (Terbinafine) Anti Fungal Medication.

Ultimately, You need to persevere until you get on top of Candida Albicans because any other theory is straight from the Bulls intestinal Exit. Your problem IS Intestinal Tract due to Candida Albican overgrowth, Period!

• Posted

Fiona, you can regenerate the tissue that you lost by using a Pfizer product called Genotropin (a chain of 191 amino Acids) but it's not cheap and easily available, although Footballers use it to regenerate cartilage and Skin tissue, it's a banned product in Competition Sports but not classed as an anabolic steroid.

Good thing about getting your intestinal Tract back online is that you will also loose loads of weight due to the reduction in toxicity.

• Posted

Definitely agree with coconutlover that not all PD is created equal. My trigger was steriod use around the mouth, although I do believe that my immune system may be low thanks to things like yeast etc.

Harry, I believe your advice is genuine and sincerely caring, but I also feel there is an element of hysteria in some of your posts. I think they're all very healthy suggestions which anyone would benefit from following, but I also think it's important to also remember that many people also just exercise properly, eat normally but well, and live long and healthy lives. For myself personally, I find that obsessing about each and every thing I eat and do is also very unhealthy.

• Posted

Tash, You are correct in thinking that all cases are different, but the ground up approach to resolving the issue remains the same, Suppress the Candida Albicans to regain Gut Flora and repair the intestinal wall and your ailment will disappear. Depending on the severity of Overgrowth, Overall Health and your Diet, these will all play a part in your recovery progress. I am an Ex Mine Clearance Diver (RN) and once focused have a Self Discipline most would find challenging, to say the least.

I absolutely accept your criticism and accept that maybe I'm Over the Top and possibly slightly eccentric in my approach, but I've overcome many health issues including Failing Eyesight and was on crutches at one point unable to Drive, All of my serious Health issues boiled down to the overgrowth of Candida Albicans. ALL OF THEM. Now I have No Health issues and Cycle some 150 kilometres a week with a Cycle Club, Play Tennis twice a week and my Skin has not looked so healthy since I was in my 20s, I'm 50 in July.

I'm hoping that my experience will make people aware of the Severity of this imbalance and help other people including Yourself overcome this hidden ailment and also regain their Vitality. For the LongTerm.

Kind regards

Harry

• Posted

Do me a favour, Google "Candida Skin" and select Images from the Google Search and tell me if you see anything you recognise.

Please

Rgds

• Posted

I'm really struggling to see how this is my problem when I've tried ACV, probiotics etc and my rash healed from my chin before I started any of these, and no progress was made with the acv/probiotics. After having had this for over a year I have read countless blogs on candida but I just don't have any other symptoms. No digestive issues, food intolerances, headaches, bloating etc. Healthly, well-formed bowel movements once or twice a day (sorry if TMI). Surely if candida was affecting my intestines I would have digestive issues before it shows up in the skin in the form of this rash? I do have some ACV left over and haven't been drinking it as regularly as I would like so I may try now that I have some time off from University with probiotics and see if it makes a difference. I can't afford digestive enzymes at the moment and see little point in trying them if I have no digestive issues!
  • Posted

Sorry for the double post but are there any other suggestions you have Harry? I want to find the CAUSE of mine now. I've never been on antibiotics for it but don't want to ever since i read up about candida a few months ago. However some people cure theirs with antibiotics and mine has never been affected by candida treaments - I've tried ACV, probiotics, oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, natural yoghurt etc. Surely if it was candida this would improve it! So is mine bacterial/hormonal? I just have no idea, wish I could find out what mad e it spontaneously from my chin and eyes all those months ago!
  • Posted

Hi Harry,

I have seen photos of candida related rashes, and have posted here before you joined in that I suspect some of my excema is candida related. I already take Bio-Kult probiotics every day, and drink ACV with the mother.

I don't want you to think I'm attacking you, because I'm sure you have some great advice, and I'm happy to hear you've overcome your own health problems in this way. I just wanted to suggest that making such extreme comments (eg. saying you're 100% sure of what someone's elses health problems are, just from reading one post) in a space where people are already coping with a lot of stress and information overload, can be a bit difficult to digest. No pun intended! hah.

Anyway, I will be looking into Digestive Enzymes to add to my routine. Cheers!

• Posted

Tash, I tried to send this to you privately but it would not go through for some reason:

I admire you for sticking to your guns in your earlier post. I don't think anyone's comments should be deleted or altered (as long as they are not offensive) but I was starting to waffle in my way of thinking....I couldn't live my life dissecting everything that I put in my mouth. I eat healthy and exercise. Thanks for bringing me back down.

• Posted

Thank you Harry for your detailed post and I was very glad to have the opportunity to read it

I agree partly with what you say and certainly yeast has a major role in all this.

I also have read the links between fungal infections and cancer.Fungal infections do have huge implications and there are many types,that most people have not heard of.

We have to keep a level head with all this though, and to be honest once one starts reading online about fungi,bacteria,infection etc, one can quickly become paranoid and let it rule their life.Let's face it we would never leave the house!

That is scary as most of us don't want to leave the house with PD anyway!

I do not however think all PD can be treated the same way because then we would all have success with same treatments which sadly is not true.

Fungi and germs live happily inside us as law abiding citizens all it is only when the 'balance' is corrupted problems happen.

I had success with antibiotics as well as probiotics,.Antibiotics have their place in treatment of PD but not for everyone but they do help and have an important role and should not be discounted for all.

Allergies and intolerance are interesting as I felt antihistamines helped too in my case.I was very interested to read what Harry said about Enzymes as they too are biologically 'alive' like probiotics.

(because of this enzymes and probiotics should be taken with cold water (nothing warm) to make sure the 'live' element is not damaged)

Enzymes help our bodies deal with something that is attacking our immune system An allergy is the body’s inability to “digest” (breakdown) the substance (allergen) causing the immune reaction.

I certainly will be looking onto using enzymes.

• Posted

Forgot to add that I looked at images on 'google' Candida Skin" and I would have to say every rash known to man is on there.

Many look like my PD.

I tried Ketoconazole shampoo on my face when it was at it's worse as this kills fungus/bacteria. I cannot say it made a huge difference at the time.

I think the trouble with all products/soaps/cream,vinegar etc etc mentioned here, is that we all tend (I was the worse culprit using everything all the time and all at once in my desperation to be rd of PD.) to use most products when our PD is at it's worse because that is when it upsets us most.

I don't know about anyone else, but when my PD was at it's worse my skin was so raw,weepy and scabby and dry that anything stung,anything irritated it.

I wished I had used each thing at a time and let enough time go pass, as I may well have discounted something that somebody else might find beneficial.

I wished I had before and after pictures of PD too.

I really,truly feel that if we all keep this healthy information sharing we will help everyone.Then we can all publish it and become wealthy cheesygrin

• Posted

I think Harry jumped ship. Such a knowledgeable man and a font of information. I still would like to go over his posts in more detail to draw from them.

Lisa, your posts are so easy to read, concise and to the point. I am going to try to do the same here. I keep hearing my old English teacher's voice in my head yelling "run on sentence!" when I post something.

Lisa somehow manages to encapsulate my thoughts and experiences on PD.

The mention here of enzymes stood out in particular though as I remember a friend introducing them to me about 10 years ago. The only thing that I remember is that she advised that I take them 30 minutes before I ate to help with digestion and to never drink water during the meal. Will have to look that up in more detail.

And yes....what about that book deal? We have everything for a good read:

Crime (PD).

Mystery (where the hell did this come from?)

Frustrated women (and men) pulling together for the greater good

Freedom of Speech misconduct (just kidding Alan)

Dashing Ex Royal Marine Diver residing in exotic Portugal who is willing to sweep in to save the damsels in distress

Ragged, sleep deprived woman fighting the good fight whilst battling the unseen antagonist that is the hot-flash (that's me)

No Sex, please!

The sky's the limit!

• Posted

Just off to bed but had to post- Fiona your post made me laugh so much!

Great Stuff !

• Posted

Yes, ditto Lisa. Funny! On my 41st day of no sugar, no wheat, no coffee and NO FUN - I need a laugh or two. Thanks for injecting some humor into this altered reality I'm living.

Jennifer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.