Hemorrhoids - Rafaelo - Post procedure doubt

Posted , 25 users are following.

I had two Grade-2 Hemorrhoids and went through Rafealo procedure 3 weeks back to get them removed. My initial problem was the skin swelling during and post BM around anus (prolapsing hemorrhoids with immediate reduction) and no bleeding.

In the first week post ops there was little bleeding and no swelling. From Second week onwards skin swelling has returned back (skin protruding post BM and shrinking) and it seems like my original problem has returned. Not sure if that's Hemorrhoids or skin tag or swelling. I am seeing consultant on Sunday and will update..but if someone has faced this kindly share your experience..will give me some reassurance.. 

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi everyone

this forum has been so useful as had no real aftercare advice after the rafaelo, i had it done 14th dec fortunately not too many after effects, however still having bleeding which settled a few days after the procedure but has since started again, is this normal does anyone else experience this? i also had 3 large polyps which the consultant said he treated using the same procedure has anyone else had this?

look forward to hearing for you

many thanks

• Posted

Hi all,

I had it last year end of July. It was really painful for three weeks after treatment but it was worth doing it. I have skin tags but they are shrinking gradually. I am relieved having tiered of steroid injections of NHS treatment. It requires changes in your eating habits. Avoid cheese and milk. I think the promise has been delivered. I hope it works for you guys. The pain has to be highlighted for those of you who are planning to do it.

Thanks

• Posted

Had 3 grade 3 treated on the 11th Jan. Here is my experience to date:

Throughout I have only taken paracetamol and ibuprofen, alongside 1-4 laxatives per day and normal fibre granules supplement.

Days 1 – 3: Little to no pain, and a smooth feeling backside.

Day 4: Began to feel a pressure and a swelling sensation around 11 o’clock position.

Day 7: Pain ramps up to a 5/10 and a fleshy lump emerges at the 11 o’clock position.

Day 8-9: Pain increases to 6-8/10. Aforementioned lump increases in size and swelling beneath is evident, with area hard to touch in a similar way to internal piles.

Day 10-13: Same as above, however, the pre-existing skin tag at the 5 o’clock position also swelled, increasing in size and appearing irritated (red-ish).

Day 14-16 – Disappointingly, given my strict diet and watering regime, I was constipated. Had many unsuccessful visits to the toilet as I refused to push.

Pain as above throughout. Eventually had a bowl movement on day 16. Feel internally swollen and the two external lumps described above are at their largest (large pea sized).

Day 17 – Pain significantly decreases back to 2-3/10. Lumps at 5 and 11 o’clock remain. Internal swelling feeling underneath 11 o’clock remains but is less.

Day 18-19 – Dropped pain killers down to 2 doses per day. Windows of no pain. However, internal swelling feeling still present, but about 50% of what it was. The two lumps also appear to have shrunk to about half of their maximum. Slight aches on right hand side in roughly the same place as reported before procedure, but not as bad. Strange, random pangs of pain.

Day 20 – No pain killers. Still taking laxatives. Swelling feeling at 11 o’clock slightly increases after less that soft bowl movement. Pain back to regular 2-3/10.

Hoping this is all 'normla' and not a sign of more or the same hems.

• Posted

Did the lumps go in the end? I feel as if i have a hemorrhoid still that has thrombosed. worried as i want this procedure to work so much. I am day 11.

• Posted

Hello guys,

Just want to inform you that i went in for rafaelo the 2nd time, and Im seeing trememdious changes. great improvement on daily baisis.

first few days i had this swelling close to my anus, it wont go in, it was jus hanging there making me very uncomfortable and painful as well.

After 1st week the swelling has started reducing, bowel movement was great, feeling like a new born already. Im in day 11 presently so far so good. I will keep you posted with my experience.

Thanks

• Posted

Frank - thanks for the update, please can you keep us informed on your progress.

I ask as I am now 5 weeks out from my op and I am not entirely satisfied. Don't get me wrong, things are way better than before but not all gone. I feel / think I can see that I still have 2 internal hems. Which is depressing as hell.

The Doc said we can check again at 3 months and discuss options. So if a 2nd go is working for you I would be interested to hear.

All the best,

• Posted

Hi Frank...I am going in for second time....Did your treatment work out finally - all swelling gone now.

• Posted

Hi Frank....I got the rafaello done 2nd time aswell....swelling is still there 2nd day today...how is it going with you now.

Did you consult your doctor...whats was his advise...please reply...I am very down..

• Posted

hi tej, Im about 12 weeks after the 2nd procedure, truth is that im still having this lump close to my anus, that partialy blocks passage of stool, I dont knw what else to do, surgery is not an option for me, Im still hopeful to find something to end this. For now I would say the rafaelo was not sucessful with me. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Frank...I am 2 weeks down with 2nd procedure...I guess its not worked for me aswell. I am back to Square1 with the lump post BM...last option before surgery is trying banding... As I too don't want to surgery route.

Did you consult your Dr.. what did he suggest?

Regards..

• Posted

hi Tej, I didnt bother going back to my doc. Just looking for alternative means, meanwhile, do let me know when you go for the banding. We will all scale through. Amen..Thanks.

• Posted

Hi,

Thought I should let you know I am now 3 months on from my first rafaelo.

Overall, its fixed my issues about 60%. Everything is pretty much internal now. But, if I don't keep my diet strict (fibre and water) and/or exercise too hard, I can have bad uncomfortable days. So I'm constantly monitoring everything I do.

I suspect I will need a further procedure in the near future (6 months to 2 years) as things naturally get worse through wear and tear.

Nonetheless, a 60% fix feels like night and day compared to beforehand. There are entire afternoon where I don't think about my butt.

Would I advise others to do it? Impossible to answer!

• Posted

How are you now ? I'm due to have this procedure mid november & am very worried xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.