Hit my acrylic nail resulting in lifting my real nail and I believe pushing the nail bed to skin

Posted , 66 users are following.

I accidentally hit my acrylic nail against the cabinet causing it to lift my real nail bed and I think it also pushed my nail bed passing my cuticle. As you can see from the pictures, I believe that is my nail that should be under my skin. Should I keep it covered until the nail grows--of course I will put peroxide on twice a day. What should I do? Someone please help

2 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

well same thing happened to me today n i just ran it under cold water n put a band-aid over it it looks sideways like that not as bad but should i just leave it alone n let the acrylic n real nail grow out

• Posted

Same thing happened to me last month, I let the skin underneath heal a bit and then cut down the nail so it wouldn't lift. I'm worried that it might have damaged that side of the nail matrix. For those that experienced this a while ago, did your nail grow back and how long did it take. I just told my boyfriend I'm freaking out because I don't wanna be missing a nail for the rest of my life. I'm hoping since only one side ripped out the nail matrix is not too badly damaged...

• Posted

hi, this just happened to me. im wondering hows the nail going and what did you do up until now. im just a bit nervous about my own!

• Posted

Has it fallen off yet? How is it healing? I had this injury on the 22nd.

• Posted

its been two weeks since this happened to my finger. as of now it is growing out and the nail that should not be showing is lifting against my skin. I'm not too worried as nails grow back and it doesnt look infected. there is not much that has happened so far. i just made sure to rinse it and cut the nail as short as possible.

• Posted

I've recently done it myself I just plastered the nail down

• Posted

will my own nail grow back ? a nurse said it might not 😦File size is too big

• Posted

This thread is really helping cos I hit my thumb against a wall today and I have a feeling that the whole nail is affected. i tried to sleep and it is so damn painful! What can I use to ease the pain? I think when the pain subsides I will have to cut the acrylic nail shorter.

• Posted

hi

I did the same thing 10 days ago, i ran the finger under warm water, pushed the exposed nail back into the cuticle. I secured the nail by putting surgical tape in thin strips around the nail bed and where the nail met the acrylic. I did not remove the nail, or the acrylic. I cleaned it daily with anti-septic wound spray and gently changed the tape if it got wet. It needs to be tight but not enough to prevent blood flow obviously.

The nail was wobbly when touched for about 7 days, but its solid again now,

good luck xxx

• Posted

Update

nail came off today painlessly. Completely healed underneath as you can see.

• Posted

Does any girl have any updates on how long did it take for nails to grown back?

• Posted

it took mine about 2 months. accident happened 9/22/19 and my nail was grown back by Thanksgiving. I took biotin to help it grow faster.

• Edited

This happened to me yesterday. Although, I am not sure if mine is similar or worse. I stubbed it against my carpet attempting to pick up laundry from the floor. Initially I had thought I had bumped it causing the too to lift but after careful examination I realized my whole nail had lifted from the nail bed. Its still attached at the cutical. I ran it under cold water, poured alcohol on it and I now have it bandaged. Plasma keep coming out from under it so I am thinking I may need to go to the doctors. I am not really sure how to handle it. image

• Edited

i left the nail and acrylic in place, put thin strips of medical tape to secure it. The nail stayed on for about 2 weeks before it grew off. I found it was painless and no opportunity for infection. Used an anti-septic spray xxx

• Edited

you hit it badly, but not worse then the rest of us girls, thank god!

i hit one of mine badly like the first picture so it went past my cuticle and it's been two months and the nail completely fell out but the new one is growing, looks quite ok, the nails is thin.. the other nail I hit looked like yours, I taped it down so the lifting doesn't go any further. The nail is growing a bit slower than usually but you see where it's holding and where it is still lifted.

I recommend taping it down until is grows out fully.

• Edited

UPDATE: I didn't need to go to the doctors. I kept it dry and clean. It was bandaged for 3 weeks because I wanted to wait until it was fully healed. I clipped the nail and it took 2 months to grow out. I now have a new set.

Side Note: I took prenatals throughout the growth period.

• Posted

I also used an antiseptic spray on it

• Posted

Thank you, same thing happen to me , I wasnt sure if to go to hospital to get it removed. i was in so much pain I have it bandage pressed down keeping it from hurting. Did u end up clipping it or did it fell on its own? was it painful through out those 3 weeks.?

• Posted

Hi there! This just happened to my nail, half of my acrylic seems to have lifted up with my real nail but the other side is still intact. This happened about a week ago, it is painless now, just uncomfortable if I hit it. What did you do in this situation?? I am stumped!!!

• Posted

hi what did end up happening to your nail? that happened to me 4 days ago... it was completely detached from the nail bed... i have acrylics too... i left it there... now is juts wobbly on the sides ans kinda attached in the middle but is very swollen and red ... i dont know what to do !!! should i go get it removed ? or leave it there ... will it fall off eventually ? what was your experience ? help please !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.