Hit my acrylic nail resulting in lifting my real nail and I believe pushing the nail bed to skin

Posted , 66 users are following.

I accidentally hit my acrylic nail against the cabinet causing it to lift my real nail bed and I think it also pushed my nail bed passing my cuticle. As you can see from the pictures, I believe that is my nail that should be under my skin. Should I keep it covered until the nail grows--of course I will put peroxide on twice a day. What should I do? Someone please help

2 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

did your nail ever grow back what did you end up doing to it did u leave it alone, same just happened to me please help

• Posted

it grew back in about 2 months. I took biotin and prenatals to help nail growth.

• Posted

This happened to me this evening while washing up a bowl fell and caught my nail and now my acrylic nail and my natural nail has lifted off my nail bed and looks as though my nail has gone into my skin above my cuticle to the side of my little finger. Have put antiseptic and bandaged up, will I need to go to hospital?

• Posted

you can go to the doctor, but do not let them pull it off, since it will last even longer for nail to grow back.

if your nail pushed trough the cuticle try putting it back in, press the nail down and plaster it down with tape. micropore tape is the best if you ask me.

it will fall of by itself and by the time this happens you will see the new nail has grown under it.

it’s painful for the first week or two, then it doesn’t hurt, but have it taped anyway.

• Posted

if you can push the nail back under the cuticle and using medical tape, secure it. Use anti-septic wipes or spray to keep it clean. The nail will grow off without exposing the bed.

• Posted

hi so last night i just hit my nail on my vanity And im pretty that my real nail isnt connected anymore because there was so much blood buy i cant rip it off because it is attached at the cuticle because i had just gotten my nails done 2 days ago. i tried to use acetone but it burned way too much. do i need to go to the er to get the bail removed ? i dont think i can properly tend to the nail with the acrylic nail on it

• Posted

the same thing happened to my nail it hurts so much. theres clear ish yellow liquid leaking out from under it and with this whole pandemic going on i dont wanna go to the hospital

• Posted

you'll be okay. Keep it dry and clean, I kept a bandaid on it until it got to a point that it'd fall off. I clipped the nail once it healed. It 2 months.

• Edited

this just happened to my pinky nail 5 days ago! it occasionaly throbbs and had a warm sensation. did anyone feel that too? i havemt gone to the urgent care. is the discomfort normal?

• Posted

my pinky too mine feels like its burning how has it healed? i did it to mine yesterday😣

• Posted

i did this yesterday the exact same thing i knocked my acrylic on the wall and it tore my nail from under my skin just like yours has, i cut the acrylic with scissors to get it off but left the part that was ripped from under my skin until this morning i then cut that part off with nail clippers soak it twice a day in salt water to kill bacteria keep it covered until you see a doctor x

• Posted

did you cut the section that was by the cuticle, like it came from underneath it

• Posted

I did this same thing to my thumb nail this week at the gym. I went to the doctor at my student health center and she said she's never seen anything like it. It's just like the nail come out if the cuticle. After your nail grew out did you have any permanent cuticle damage?

• Posted

My nail was tore off the nail bed. It is only attached at the cuticle with the acrylic nail still attached. not sure what to do! Im in so much pain right now! Help!!!! 😢

• Posted

Same thing happen to me today, im in so much pain.

I seen in a comment above same thing happen to another girl, and she taped it and after 3 weeks when the bed was fully healed she cut it off. keep the bandage pressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.