Housebound with Illness. Telephone Friend?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For a while now I have been ill and getting worse, housebound now and live alone with no visitors. Would be great to have an email friend and/or telephone friend to talk to to pass the time and mutual support. I live in the UK.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear how ill you are. What do you have? I would be more than glad to be your email friend.
    • Posted

Hi there. Thank you for the offer. It seems to be silent acid reflux which lead to sinus/headaches/ears and stomach aches.  Would you like to give me your email address?
    • Posted

Tried various ppis and cimetridine,  some of them work a bit and then stop working.  Now trying to manage on the cimetridine and pain killers.
    • Posted

cimetridine was the first one I was prescribed. It practically stopped my urine output and I had a kidney X-Ray that was OK. But by then I had stopped taking it.

Most of the PPI's did not help much until starting Esomeprazole.

Have you discussed the various surgical options with your doctor or consultant? Unfortunately you need to fight them to get anything done.

The lastest one taken from a Daily Mail article:

The traditional operation is a fundoplication, where the upper part of the stomach closest to the entry of the oesophagus is gathered up and sewn around the oesophagus. This 'tightens' the lower oesophagus to prevent acid leaking upwards.

The older version of this operation requires an 8in incision across the stomach, but most hospitals now offer keyhole surgery.

TIF (Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication) - was developed in the U.S. and is basically the same as the traditional fundoplication but is carried out through the mouth to avoid cutting the patient.

This procedure is quicker than the old operation and carries less risk of infection, discomfort and visible scarring. Patients can be in and out of hospital in under a day.

The operation is like bringing the neck of a purse string together. With the patient under general anaesthetic, the EsophyX device extends down through the mouth into the patient's stomach. It then pulls and fastens a tissue fold by pleating and stitching it.

This step is repeated around 16 times to reconstruct a tight valve that prevents the reflux of stomach acid.

Recent clinical studies show that two years after the procedure, 85 per cent of patients are still heartburn free.

• The operation is available on the NHS and will save tens of thousands due to the reduced amount of overnight stays. Privately it costs £5,000.

• Posted

Have read all of this stuff derek. My doctor said that quite often when people have this surgery a few years down the line it goes back to square one and they have problem again and there is a higher risk they might get cancer.  This proceedure would maybe suit some but not all, it depends on individual symptoms and circumstances and even age. They say you can have your polyps removed out of your nose same day too but when you go there for that they keep you in overnight.
    • Posted

Well quite often is not everyone and sounds like what I was told when asking for a new procedure. To quote the consultants letter at the time, " I will refer you but I think that that you are looking at this with rose tinted spectactles!

You are evidently in a desperate situation that has stopped your life and you need to do something to get it back.

Surely not having the acid controlled already puts you in line for Barrett's oesophagus leading to cancer. 

• Posted

Not if you take cimetidine. We are all different.   I dont get any pains in my throat or indigestion etc.
    • Posted

Just as well as you have enough to deal with as it is but long term pain killers are not a good idea due to their side effects and possibility of addiction from some types.
    • Posted

My email is _____. Please send me yours.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an e-mail address from this reply as it is the policy of patient.info to not publish these within the forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

Patient Moderator Reminds: You provide / exchange personal information at your own risk.

• Posted

Yes Derek I  know this but I dont take nsaids and I dont take them all day every day just when it is bad.
    • Posted

Which of your conditions are you taking the painkillers for?

Have you found this in your research?

Silent Reflux: A Hidden Epidemic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.