Hyper awareness to my existence

Posted , 96 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been diagnosed recently with an anxiety disorder and i'm on my first week on escitalopram after trying citalopram which didn't seem to help.

For the past two weeks I've been struggling with a thought/feeling that I'm overly aware about my own existence and consciousness, those "flashes of consciousness" makes everything feels weird and different. I know it sounds crazy but it's like I'm afraid of being alive, like I suddenly realized that I'm human and alive and stuck in my body.

It seems like I can't get this thought out of my head. I've read somewhere that it might be "hyper awareness OCD" .

Is anyone ever felt like that before??

I don't want to be scared of living...

10 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Finally someone that explains what Im feeling very well!!

The last 2 years this feeling happened more often , and just a few weeks ago it ended in my first panick attack ever. This time it felt like I was going to far in this thought process and my own brain couldnt comprehend it anymore, normally this feeling only lasted for a few minutes, but now i couldnt stop the thought process about my own existence.

Its like your hyper aware of the now, that there's nor a future nor a past. I feel like it became worse since the corona epidemic hit. Nothing feels normal anymore, and when I think about my past I think: was it ever normal?

When I got the pannick attack it felt like I was going to crack the code about existing, but my own brain couldnt understand it, it was to much for myself to make sense out of it.

I read here that most of you feel this way when they wake up, but I have it the otherway around. When I get tired the feeling gets more extreme, but when I have slept I feel fresh and I dont feel as weird anymore.

Im happy to know there are more people that feel the way I do, its hard to explain to others + when you try to explain it, it sometimes makes the feeling even worse.

• Posted

It's incredible to know that there are others that experience this too. For me, it feels like someone has flicked a switch and I'm just suddenly hyperaware of being alive. It's terrifying and shocking. I can't believe that I'm in a body. I look at my boyfriend and think 'this is the guy I supposedly call my boyfriend'. I look at the room and its walls and think 'this is the place that I supposedly call home'. I find it so hard to describe - probably because I'm mostly experiencing intense fear, rather than thinking. I can end up having a panic attack when I lean into this scary feeling.

I've had these episodes for years and I probably get one every 2 months or so. I've noticed that they've become more frequent since I met my boyfriend 3 years ago, and they only happen when I'm getting ready for bed and he's around. But I'm not quite sure what the trigger is, because I don't have them every single night. My episode probably lasts a minute or two, but it feels longer due to how much emotion I feel in a short amount of time.

Depersonalisation/derealisation/dissociation doesn't quite fit my experience because it's actually the opposite to the disconnected, spacey feeling... instead, I'm intensely aware of my existence.

• Posted

Yes I've got this too been suffering with it on and off for as far back as i can remember. Suffering in silence as when i tried to explain it i was told i was being stupid etc. Tried to find out what it was and why it was happening, over many years. Have suffered extreme panic attacks, struggled with leaving home, health anxiety and OCD especially around other hyper awarenesses, breathing and sleeping. I've recently had a diagnosis of PTSD and gone through therapy with the NHS, which have provided a lot of answers and given me a better insight on what is going on and how to manage my thoughts and feelings.. The way i deal with it is through distraction, trying to accept that these thoughts are coming from anxiety and they will go in time and being compassionate with myself, telling myself everything is going to be ok. The trigger for me is definitely stress which would then lead to these thoughts. I've recently had some physical health issues which are ongoing and with Covid too, I've started to get theses thoughts again, fingers crossed i can manage them better now. Hope this has been helpful. Knowing we are not alone in our struggles helps us feel less isolated.

• Posted

I know this ALLLLL TO WELL. It started when i had DP/DR for a couple days. Mind you i was freaking out so damn bad. Then came the existential thoughts. Those thoughts were SOOOOOOO BAD and scary (at the time because of my intense anxiety). Those thoughts are gone. Now what i am experiencing is the noticing of my existence. It gives me bouts of anxiety BUT it (anxiety) also make me FEEL as though my reality/life is waaaaaayyyyy different. Mind you im not in DP/DR no more. The whole noticing of my existence came from the DP/DR and it stuck. I think/believe its the thought that is keeping that feeling alive that is keeping me in zaps of anxiety. It is annoying. What i am doing now is exposing myself to the thought or stop dipping in the FEELINGS of it to stop it. I thought it was just me feeling this or thinking this way. Healthy distractions does help. Because it keeps your mind from going there. We all know the brain is plastic and loves the throws of loops and patterns to keep the anxiety alive. I am learning (with practice) to change of overall thought process. WE MUST TAKE OUR POWER BACK FROM OUR MIND and not allow it to run us. We must TRAIN OUR MIND...not the other way around.

• Posted

Hi there. I must say, everything you are describing is exactly how I feel. I recently went through a major transition in my life (re-location) that has caused me to experience immense stress and fear due to feelings of homesickness. I already had pre-existing anxiety before the move, but after it got a lot worse. The feeling you are describing is a result of depersonalization. It is merely a symptom of anxiety or being in an elevated fight or flight state. I notice the feeling is the most prominent during mornings and when I am alone for the day (i.e when my husband goes to work). It is really a paralysis type feeling as well. You become so aware of your exisitence it makes you become uncomfertable and then feel as though being that observer is almost close to suffering.

One thing, although this feeling makes you feel 'crazy' you are extremely normal. Your body is making you feel that way from a result of a protective mechanism due to you being under high stress. Once your anxiety levels decrease frequently or you are distracted or fully enaged in something whether that be talking to a friend, partner or activicty I notice it actually goes away temporaily.

Depersonalization is just another protective mechanism that comes along in the box with dealing with anxiety. It is there to protect you, not hurt you and it never will truly hurt you. I would like to discuss more with you regarding this. Just reply to this comment just so I know it is still active.

• Posted

I have a similar feeling but only when i smoke weed. some things i feel are colors, light/shadow, associating colors with emotion, breathing, things in the room in color patterns, everything connecting.

it is scary because its like "im alive" but really knowing it or "waking up" to life finally. I then start, and probably subconsciously was always, contemplating the opposite of it all. Fearing something really bad. Fearing death. You have to be alive to die. kinda feeling like if i realize anything else in life it could all just disappear or the feeling. i notice i breath shallowly when fearing or felling so live.

do you feel better?

• Posted

Hi, I searched the internet and I came across you. i have the exact same thing and i hate it. i'm glad i found you. I am not on any medication for this but I have been to a homeopath. sometimes I think how am I going to live with this and how long will this take and will it go away on its own?

• Posted

what I often hear is that people who smoke weed have the same feelings but I don't smoke. I did it when I was 14 and had a bad experience with it. I also think it's part of depersonalization and derealization. I'm 38 now and I'm trying to get off the sleeping medication. maybe it has something to do with that.

• Edited

mech,

I've wanted end my life for years now, long story short, I was and am, tired of living and scared of dying and so my life has dragged on. Now, I'm in my sixties and the fact that I could so easily fall prey to some awful age-related illness or disease worries me a lot. I have become so aware of the frailties of my vital organs, my heart, liver, kidneys, what if? What if? Thinking of each one in turn. I often find myself consumed by such thoughts. I'm getting so I don't want to live [because] I'm scared of dying.

Is it normal to think this way? I imagine that most people, if asked, would balk at such thinking and, shrugging their shoulders, would simply say with a smile that they'd never thought about it. Would probably find the suggestion quite hilarious.

And I obsess about things. All my life, even at school, any interest or hobby that I ever had became an obsession.

OCD? ASPERGERS? I [do] wonder about that but I don't feel able to discuss it with anybody. I think it would help for me to know precisely what is wrong with me.

mech, I don't know what the answer but know that you're not alone. Maybe someone else can offer an explanation.

Good luck.

• Edited

Hello! I'm a 20 year old girl and I've been diagnosted with ocd at 18, but I've had it since I was 11. In 2018 I was having hyper awarness of the time passing and it lasted for about a year. Every morning I would wake up and the thought of the time passing and me being unable to do anything about it would pop into my head, haunting every second of every day. But it stopped, gradually. My brain must've been bored of the thought. Now in 2021 I get these sudden bursts of anxiety about my body. I understand now how to control them and I understand I have them because of my anxiety, so I just treat them as any other anxiety burst I've had in the past. Sometimes I see people in their old age and I wonder how did they do it? How did they resist for so many years? Am I going to make it until such an age? It seems like it's going to be a long way to go. Seeing your comment today was really inspiring. Maybe I'll be able to make it too.

• Posted

denisa.ana26, if I've given you hope in some small way that's great, but there are no fond memories for me, no looking back . If you can find someone to talk to, confide in, about your situation, I'm sure it would help. I never did, pride, shame, embarrassment, who knows? If only I could have, but having said that, back then it just wasn't an option. "big boys don't cry" etc. I try now but it's seems as though, I don't know, it really is hopeless, ..... I feel like an alien.

Good luck.

• Edited

I just want to yell from a mountain that I feel the EXACT same way you do, I even use the exact same words to describe it. I've tried for years to find someone who gets that feeling. I hope that somehow gives you hope; it did for me.

• Posted

Some small comfort in knowing you're not the only one eh.

Like I said jared, you're not alone.

regards and good luck.

• Edited

This will be the FIRST time of me "publicly" saying ME TOO. Since I was probably three. I've gone through plenty in my life very young, trauma continued and I've never been diagnosed and I'm over 30 now. I'm silently suffering. my awareness has never been explained like this forum. example. The lady at the bus stop all alone makes me want to crawl into a dark hole and cry. Morning traffic and all those people really make me aware. Of ALL of them and myself. It's almost like I can feel their pain or energy by being near them. I feel everything. I see everything. I notice everything. And I overthink and obsess over all of it as much as possible to where I feel like I have ADHD, because i can NOT focus on anything. i shake my foot because the thoughts torture me. sometimes I wonder if I am well, the way I switch on and off around people to hide it. i tried to keep it short. was hard condensing 30 years of painful secrets. i hope someone relates or this post will haunt my sleep tonight.

• Edited

Hello,

I have been feeling a similar way for the past few months, and it's relieving and comforting to see that I'm not alone. Its difficult to explain the feeling that I get when I feel hyper aware. It tends to happen when I'm not busy, but on the rare occasion it has happened at work etc. I did get an anxiety diagnosis a few years ago, however its never been this bad and I'm unsure of what has triggered this feeling I get. The only way I can explain it, as others also have, is that I suddenly feel real and aware of my existence. I become hyper aware of myself and everything/one around me, which often causes fear and panic. Its almost as if I am aware that my mind/soul and body are separate, which in a way is comforting to know as I have recently gotten into spirituality and I would like to believe that my soul is separate to my body, and that my body is the physical thing to allow my soul to live. However, I hate when it happens, because it does trigger panic attack symptoms, and often I feel like I am going to faint which I have a horrible fear of due to past experiences. I also have a terrible fear of illness/death, and so whenever I feel the slightest bit ill, I experience hyper awareness (perhaps as a flight of fight response?). I'm not sure why this happens, as I've read about it being both anxiety/OCD related. Hopefully a doctors visit will help me 😃

• Edited

all they will do is put you on meds which isnt what you should do. youre going through a spiritual awakening where your higher concious is coming through instead of the illusion of the material world its freaky at first but in time it ends up being the best thing you will ever go through i recommend staying away frok doctors and meds because they dont understand this stuff since they have never studied it. your true self and soul is trying to come through so you can be your true self

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.