I am new to forums, but would love some input/advise

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I have never been a member in a forum before, so please bear with me as this is all very new to me. I would just like to know if anyone else experiences what I experience, or anything similar.

I have suffered with depression for many many years, I am a 39 year old female. I have always managed to work and maintain some kind of "normal" life on and off medication. 4.5 years ago I had an accident on an ice-rink and ruptured my ACL and PCL ligaments (main ligaments that hold knee together). NHS told me the pain I felt was "in my head, and it is normal for people with depression". For over a year I was hobbling around in agony, I had to give up my Uni place ( mature student) and could no longer drive. The medical staff made me feel like I was faking it, and it did some damage to my already depressed state of mind. After a year I finally told them if they didn't put a camera in my knee to investigate it thoroughly I would go private and sue them if anything was found ( was a bluff as I was now unemployed on benefits). They investigated my knee and discovered the damge so i had total ligament replacement x2 . Due to the fact it had been left so long, my knee had "deformed" as in it won't bend fully and won't straighten fully, I walk with a heavy limp and take painkillers few times a day ( Strong ones). I stayed on disabilty for 3 years, and I became agoraphobic, and literally didn't leave my house. I sank into deep depression and trusted no one. Anyway, 1.5 years ago I started my own company from home ( by pure accident by the way) and it grew so fast, I now have staff and work from a warehouse unit. My problem is I still feel miserable... I know that sounds weird, I should be happy with what I have and what I have achieved, but everyday I still struggle, I cry non stop, and still do not go out very much unless it is to work, and even some days that is hard. People tell me I " have nothing to be depressed about" and it has lead me to "pretend I am ok".. I feel like I am being ungrateful. For years I had dreamed of owning my own business, and I worked extrtemely hard to get it, but I still feel so empty every day. I have been put back on Mirtazapine 30mg 10 days ago and I actually think my crying is slowing down, I also think my mind is working differently, but I still have an emptyness I can't get rid of. Does anyone else feel this way, no matter what you have in your life, and whom you have around you, do you still feel empty? I would really appreciate any shared experiences from you. Thank you for reading. Kind regards Michelle

4 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle & welcome, I'm very new here too so you're not alone!

I'm also taking 30mg Mirtazapine daily & have been for years, I recognise many of your experiences with health care professionals where they 'fob you off' & put genuine physical pain/injuries down to aches & pains associated with depression; I had a trapped nerve for a year & a half before I persuaded, through much insistence, I had an MRI scan & it was confirmed. I can really sympathise with you concerning your knee. I think it just reflects the dismissive nature of the mental health system and how much it's neglected & underfunded, don't get me wrong, I know we're blessed to have free health care via the NHS but mental health care is woefully lagging behind.

I think you've done so well always managing to work, I guess that reflects the 'brave face' you mentioned putting on, I guess we all do it, I know I do. For me personally having a partner would be a huge plus; you confide in each other & share every experience, ups, downs, everything, your partner would be a pillar in what a therapist would phrase your 'support network'. You don't mention if you have a partner Michelle so I wonder if you have that type of support & understanding, I know my depression & anxiety were easier to cope with before I was alone, I guess it's having someone around to talk to.

You sound like a very professional & successful business woman so you should be proud of your achievements, especially in the face of adversity ie your depression. Let's not forget Florence Nightingale, the 'lady with the lamp', she suffered debilitating depression but still shone as brightly as a star. I know the times in my life when things have been going well I've been successful at work concerning promotions etc. The only problem being when I begin feeling crushingly low & anxiety creeps back into my life I become a different person with no self confidence or self worth. I certainly relate to what you said about feeling 'empty'. I can remember a time previously when I was in successful employment having just been promoted but still asking another work colleague - "there must be more to life than this"... just feeling like something was missing, but not knowing what.

I hope the words I've written have offered you some solace Michelle, as I say to anyone new - don't ever think you're alone because you're not.

Dave.

• Posted

Sure they will be comfort for Michelle as they are to me - it is nice to know others are in the same boat. Also, liked the Florence Nightingale fact. In a way it's comforting to hear of celebrities who come out with depression. The most recent being Robin Williams, I felt I could help explain his side to my friends in discussion that whoever and however many people are around you can still feel alone and empty. I know this is a bit of an odd example but it just proves that there other people out there going through what many of us do. Thanks Dave
    • Posted

Hi Dave

Thank you so much for your reply & compliments, they are gratefully received!

I do not have a partner, and have delibrately stayed single for almost 4 years. The reason being is I feel weaker and more vulnerable when in a relationship. Sounds odd doesn't it? The other reason is I hate the way I can act when in a relationship, I can become moody and irritable very easily, I don't want to inflict that on anyone else again.

I promised myself after my last relationship that I would stay single until I got to know me, succeeded at something, and the ability to love unconditionally. Amazingly I managed to build a successful business whilst being single, and that definately wouldn't have happened if I had a partner, ad all my time and energy goes into that. Maybe one day, but not quite ready yet :-)

I hope life is treating you a little better now Dave..

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Tara,

Thanks for your comment, I took solace from your kind words too, they always say "what goes around comes around", it's good that we can support each other here, thank you. You're certainly right about Robin Williams, it was a real shock to hear of his passing, although often those who seem outwardly positive & happy can be suffering too; it's just a guise, smoke & mirrors. In social situations I'm always 'the clown', I try to make people laugh but I guess it's just a technique of deflecting the main focus away from myself, insecurity can do that. Another celebrity who springs to mind is Stephen Fry, he suffers from crippling self-doubt which, by his own admission, often suddenly appears out of the blue. If you've never watched his 'Secret life of a manic depressive' programmes, there are two, I would recommend you do, they're both available to watch on YouTube, I think they're around 58 mins each. I caught one of the two programmes when they aired originally on TV, I have them both on my YouTube 'watch later' play list & will view them both again sometime soon.

Stay positive Tara.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I understand what you feel, you're obviously very considerate saying you wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone else again. And you're right; as Alison Moyet once sung - "It's that ole devil called love again"... it can make anyone act irrationally, couple that with anxiety, fight or flight, which can also make one act irrationally and it's a heady combination!

I like how you set yourself goals, therapist's tell you to do that; set achievable targets. I guess it's all about taking each day as it comes, depending on the severity of any associated depression/anxiety. If I'm really anxious I break it down & literally take each hour as it comes, you have to. And when anxietys kicking hard you can feel hugely different hour to hour... You just have to do whatever gets you through.

You've already ticked off one of your three milestones Michelle, and, even though we've only spoken briefly, I've every confidence you'll soon achieve the remaining two.

Stay positive Michelle.

• Posted

Hi Dave

Thank you so much! Your lovely comments have brought a smile to my face, after a busy stressful day, isn't it wonderful how perfect strangers can impact on your day! :-)

You also stated something that I can totally relate to, which is dealing with things by the hour etc, as feelings and emotions change that quickly , depending on the situation. Prior to learning a new coping technique, I would have days where I would cry non stop, and feel total dispare, perhaps due to an arguement, or something has gone wrong. My emotions would run wild and I thought the end of the world was about to happen... I would also go back to every bad situation that had accurred and make myself worse ( emotionally), then one day I told myself " OK, today is crap... I will allow myself this whole day to cry, rant , rave and eat biscuits on the sofa all day, then tomorrow is a new day!"... As soon as I did this, I recovered from the episodes so much quicker. I told myself today is bad, but these feelings wont be as strong tomorrow"... It really works for me :-)

In fact, I had my therapy today, and as I left the building I noticed my rear car tyre was completely flat, and noticed a screw stuck firmly in the tyre. Now bearing in mind I was going to drive straight to my company as the internet orders had gone crazy ( My staff were already there doing them, but we had 3 times the normal amount) so my thought process would normally be " OMG I cant get to work, the orders are going to pile up, customers will be annoyed, they will all go elsewhere, staff will feel neglected by me blah blah"... But I didn't.. I looked in the boot of my car to find the electric tyye pump ( I have a new Mini Coupe and they don't have spare tyres).. I plugged it inot my car lighter port and pumped up the tyre to enable me to get home..At this point my therapist came outside to see if I was OK and I told her what was happening.. she smiled and said " Michelle, have you noticed anything different"?.... I replied.. " Erm.. the tyre is deflating again?".. she smiled and said " No, Michelle , you are not stressing or crying... you tackled the issue head on and became immediately proactive".... WOW!! I really had done that! :-) ... I called my staff to explain the situation and requested they just do their best and get as many done as possible, and the rest will have to be done tomorrow. This is a huge step for me... and I hadn't even realised it.

With regards to staying single to achieve goals etc, that has worked so well for me, and I am very proud of myself. I usually have goals and fail haha.. The only sadness I have is I wanted children, but felt it unfair as I am not well mentally, I couldnt ever make my children feel sad or scared the way I did growing up. Coming from a violent household, I can lose my temper quite quickly, I  was scared I would do it to my children if I had any, so that is a sacrafice I had to make. Maybe in my next life :-)

Do you find you are stronger in relationships Dave?

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I'm so happy for you, reading your message about how you delt with your car conundrum really shows you've turned a corner (no car pun intended) and have begun 'restructuring' your cognitive thought processes. As your therapist recognised you were proactive with your solution, well done! Something like this can give you a huge boost mentally, I'm sure you can & will continue to build on this strong foundation.

It's uncanny how you mentioned going back over past negative situations whenever something bad happened, that's exactly what I do too. From all the similarities we, and all the other forum members have mentioned, all seem to have at least one major thing in common; we're all very hard on ourselves, I know I am. I can be so critical, evaluating my every action & thought process etc. I also tend to be very retrospective, I guess it's because the future scares me in its uncertainty. I've lost a lot in the past so maybe that's another reason I'm always 'looking back'.

Again your decision not to have children, especially when you really wanted to become a mother, is very selfless, very considerate. I always wanted to be a father, always assumed I would become one in time too; as an only child I felt a huge onus to provide a son and therefore continue my branch of the family tree. Again it's very understandable why you'd decide not to have children after your own experiences growing up in a violent household, but of course you're not your parents, you sound like such a compassionate & caring woman. I believe, the majority of times anyway, that any negative situations we experience as children (they say our real formative years are the first seven) we try to avoid repeating or inflicting on others in our adult life. I was so blessed growing up in that I can honestly say I never once heard my parents argue. Unfortunately we lost my Mum to cancer when I was 9, my Dad remarried 2 years later, then he lost his second wife to cancer too. I was 15 & taking my GCSE's at the time. At 16, and by the time I'd completed my exams & left school, I'd lost all 4 Grandparents also. It was a very intense time.

In response to your question I think I am stronger in a relationship Michelle, a positive one obviously. My last was the worst I've ever had, my ex-girlfriend had huge trust issues; if I wasn't with her 24/7 she made the assumption I must be off galavanting about with another woman, this manifested itself with her being absolutely horrible towards me. As a result I haven't had a relationship since. Conversely the relationship I had prior to that lasted 14 years & was warm, loving & fantastic. So, as I mentioned, it really depends!

Continue being positive Michelle.

• Posted

Hi Dave :-)

Thank you once again for your encouraging words, they are always lovely to hear.

It sounds like you have really been though a lot in your life, more than anyone should have to go through, but you know what? Every single one of those events made you the amazing person you are today. Each event made you stronger, and build up a shield to enable you to deal with the next. You sound like a true gentleman and are clearly a very intelligent guy. 

It makes sense that you feel stronger in relationships, I know a few people that do and that are. You mentioned your ex was very possessive, and i'm sure that can take it's toll on any relationship, something terrible must have happened in her past ( either relationships or childhood) to feel that insecure, and I guess we all show that in our own way. 

You mentioned you would loved to have been a father, do you think that is still possible? I bet you would make a wonderful father, I haven't "known" you for too long, but already you show empathy, compassion and have a good insight into what you want and need, all of those are great parenting skills ( says she that refuses to have them incase I screw them up haha!).. I have two dogs, Harvey & Marley, and they are my " furbabies" I spoil them rotten and absolutely adore them. The love I feel for them is so amazing, but it does also make me think that is what it would feel like to have children.

Most of my employye's are under 25 years old and I also spoil them rotten, I care about them all equally, and in return they work extremely hard and are very loyal. People feel I am too soft, but I get a lot back from them so I can't be doing it too wrong! I firmly believe that paying minimum wage to staff is not good enough, how can anyone survive on that? If the company can afford a decent wage why now?.. How could I sleep at night driving to work in a new car, or go on Holiday knowing they are the ones slogging their guts out everyday whilst I reap all the benefits? I say thank you at the end of every day too, it costs nothing. My Grandma once told me " In life you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" and that is so true!

Do you work Dave? I am just curious if you manage your depression enough to cope with a working life. I have managed it until I buggered my knee and was on the sick for 3.5 years afterwards, it was soul destroying. At least now if I have a bad day I can stay at home knowing the company still runs smoothly, rather than being an employee and my boss not undertsanding depression etc.

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hey Michelle,

It's my turn to thank you for your incredibly kind words, I'll echo your opening paragraph from yesterday; they're always lovely to hear.

You're certainly correct; whatever highs, or lows, we experience shape us as individuals during our journey, no surprising really why we're all so very unique, the hundreds and thousands of different stimuli gathered throughout a lifetime guarantee that. And yes, I don't think you can beat that 'loving feeling', the incredible reassurance knowing that someone cares so deeply for you. And you were spot on about my bad relationship concerning my untrusting ex, of course I won't go into details here, as you quite rightly pointed out I'm a gentleman & must uphold my ex's anonymity... even if she was horrible to me ;-)

Harvey & Marley sound awesome, it's great that you dote on them, nothing wrong with that! I guess you're still quite critical about yourself, you know, when you wrote "says she who refuses to have them (kids) in case I screw them up... as you quite rightly mentioned we haven't spoken or known each other long but I just don't see how you'd be anything other than an exceptional Mum, you certainly exude all the right qualities, you sound truly selfless, a genuinely nice person... that's a rare thing these days!! The fact that your kindness extends beyond your immediate family, (Harvey & Marley), to your employees too just goes to show how genuinely interested you are in other people's wellbeing, that's kindness personified. I love your Grandma's saying, it's so true, I'll take that one with me.. And of course she's right; manners & politeness cost nothing.

I haven't worked since September last year Michelle, I handed my notice in because of my anxiety. I feel my depression is subdued by the Mirtazapine but.. If my anxiety gets too bad that itself makes me much more depressed, it really is all consuming, it effects every aspect of my day to day existence right now, so much so that I haven't signed on at the Jobcentre, I'm using savings, hoping my anxiety disappears before it runs out. My GP suggested I self-refer via the time for change service.

In regard to you asking if I think it's still possible that I would one day become a father I'd say absolutely, never say never. Of course it would have to be given a great deal of thought prior to making any decision, but I am & always have been very communicative in all my relationships, well, the ones where my partners have been receptive to conversations anyway! Men don't talk about feelings? It's all a MYTH ;-)

Stay positive Michelle.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the direct link as it didn't look like it went to the correct site so users can use the term time for change to search Google.

• Posted

N.B.

In case anyone else is interested in researching the information source I mentioned I actually got the link wrong, if you search 'ready to change' this should return the correct page(s)!

Good luck,

Dave.

• Posted

Good evening Dave :-)

I see you passed the "moderated" test! haha...congrats!

Sorry to hear you had to give up work in Sept, it really is a very tough decision to make, but nothing is more important than health. One of the issues I had when I was off work, was my confidence took a massive dive, the longer I was off, the more I worried about not being able to work again, I found it scary and depressing. On the flip side, all that time off enabled me to have aggressive therapy, and time to think about life, emotions and all sorts. I hope you feel better soon Dave, you are a wonderful guy with a lot to offer any employer.

I also agree that men not talking about their emotions is a myth... I have met guys that are very much capable of talking about their feelings etc, I think it just depends whether the guy feels the lady is listening without judging :-)

I shall google " time for change " now and have a good read, thank you for the info .

Hope you are having a wonderful evening.

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hi, I can only tell you my own experience; I have always suffered with my back but last year, I had extreme pain down my legs and could barely walk, I was also suffereing with depression.  I don't think people realise how 'real' depression feels.  On the 1st of January 2014, I started taking Mirtazapine; I was extremely wary and frightened of what I would be like. It was the best thing I could have done.  After 2 weeks, I felt like my old self, the constant negative thoughts I had were manageable all of a sudden and I was able to think rational again. I was very, very scared of putting on weight, but my hunger cravings didn't last more than a week and I didn't put on more than 3 or 4lbs.  People only put on the weight if they give in to the hunger: it's hard, but wears off.  My back pain and leg pain were virtually non existant after 4 months; I actually felt like a whole new person.  

I came off it in May because i had tinnitus and still have it now.  I wondered if it was caused by the Mirtazapine but have been reassured that it isn't . Im currently in the process of waiting for scan results because the tinnitus is so bad.   At the moment, I am sooooooo depressed and suicidal I have no option but to go onto  the tablets again.  I hope they work the same as they did last year as I am really desperate. Depression is a really hard illness for people to understand, I go to work and put on a face and just get through each day. People probably look at me and think that I'm ok, they have no idea of the turmoil I go through each day in my life. Life is hard, we just have to grab moments of happiness when we can and be kind to people, try our best; that is all we can do. Sorry to waffle; I've covered a lot of things here. Hope things work out for you.   

• Posted

Hi Poppycat :-)

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am so pleased that the tablets worked for you the first time around, and I have every confidence they will work again for you :-)

I have noticed a HUGE difference this week, and other people have noticed too which is amazing!

I find my negative thoughts ( which were literally every minute of the day) have really gone! I am no longer reacting with anger in stressful situations. Like today at work ( for instance). I had a meeting at my accountants this morning and one of my staff txt at 10am saying she felt sick and needed to go home. I had one staff off on annual leave, two in the warehouse and one running late, with a stack of orders to process. Rather than nearly exploding in anger and stress I merely ended the meeting, drove calmly to work, let the staff member go home, and I then stepped in and helped process orders. At no point did I feel stressed or angry..in fact I was laughing and joking most of the day with staff. Even they noticed the difference.

It won't be long until they kick back into your system and you will start to feel better in 2-4 weeks... just hang on in there until that time. 

Keep your chin up Poppycat :-)

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

I can relate to your pain. I'm 40 but have had back problems since I was 25. I was super-fit but several discs just gave up and I've had lots of surgery since (the last lot was private as the NHS wouldn't do what I needed). I had to change careers, stop doing all the sports I loved and it has been tough but everyone has their scars. I have been on mirtazapine for 3 years and I never had weight problems beforehand. I just want to eat carbs 24 hours a day and I have to be aware of it. I am seeing my doctor on Monday as I have been suicidal recently and I think they need to look at other options as I am on the max dosage. I feel numb/empty a lot of the time then get very sudden emotional outbursts. I can be watching TV and something will just make me cry and I am a 40 year old guy who doesn't cry generally. It's all very weird.
    • Posted

Hi Pablopicasso

So sorry to hear you are having a really tough time at the moment. It feels like it will never end doesn't it?

What is the max dose they can give? Is it 45mg? I wonder if they can give you something to run side by side of Mirt?

When you have life changing injuries I think it's easy for people not to understand the full impack it can have on lives. If you are used to doing active sports etc, then it all suddenly stops all that energy turns into negative energy.

Do you have close family/friends around to help you?

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hi,

My family are really supportive but I always feel like such an awful burden to them. My mother has had to deal with my depression since I was 18 and then my back went so she spent months visitng me in hospital and more worrying. They all tell me the same thing: it's always better to talk to them as otherwise they fear the worst. 

I've been single for 12 years by choice although this has been tough in itself (I was so devstated by a long relationship ending that I barely survived it). I take 45mg which I think is max dosage but am also on Pregabelin for anxiety, although that could be raised slightly. I think you can also have good results taking Wellbutrin (Zyban, Bupropion) with Mirtazapine but I need to talk to my doctor about these options on Monday.

• Posted

Hi pablopicasso! I take a combination of mirtazapine (30mg) and venlafaxine (225mg) so it is possible, & it's been effective for me.
    • Posted

Thank you for that, I'll write it down for my appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.