I can't accept that some symptoms are caused by anxiety

Posted , 47 users are following.

Hi all,

Last month I had a testicular scare and since then l haven't felt the same mentally and physically. In the days leading up to the appointment, I was in a state of panic. Felt weak, stomach pains, irregular bowel activity, pain in lower back, amongst other things.

I had my testicle issue checked by 2 different doctors. They both said it definitely wasn't cancer and most likely caused by the tight pants I used to wear. I mentioned the other symptoms and they said I was just highly stressed.

Although I was very relieved it wasn't testicular cancer, I was still concerned about the other issues. I was waking up early, still feeling weak, especially in my legs. When I tried to get back to sleep I would experience a head rush like dizziness. In the space of a week, I went to A&E twice and also my GP twice out of sheer panic. Each and every time, I was told it's stress/anxiety. But for some reason I cannot accept this.

I now no longer feel the testicular pain I had before but my stomach pains, particularly lower down on both sides, seems to have flared up. I'm experiencing constipation and still wake up each and every morning feeling ill and lethargic. I've hardly got an appetite anymore and I've lost a bit of weight which my colleagues have noticed. I've been going in to work but I just don't feel right. I cannot focus or work how I used to. I'm having sleep issues (insomnia) and the bags under my eyes are ridiculous.

Now, thanks to all the google searches on symptoms, I seem to have diagnosed myself with bowel cancer. I've got another appointment on Thursday where I will plead for a blood test and possibly a colonoscopy/endoscopy.

I just haven't felt the same and I can't accept that anxiety is causing all of this physical pain.

Anyone else feel this way too?

0 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The moment you start accepting it is the moment it starts to calm dow. The oanic heightens every ache and pain. I have health issues. I have panic attacks and gad and no i dont always know the difference at all. I go to the dr. And he tells me, im not sure he even knows. But the level of anxiety we have cause so many false sensations and symptoms and thoughts it. Is hard to know. But when your body is in that heightened feeling you do know thats the anxiety. Before you go to bed you need to do some breathing and calm stuff for yourself. Listen to a book on anxiety or breathing to get some hints. I go on you tube and pick out some calming meditation and do it. This anxiety is like a built in bully and plays mind games and tricks so you need to be very strong and remind yourself during this that it is anxiety and believe in your soul you can manage this and you will come through it. Much easier said then done, but you have to believe in yourself and you must be 100% on board with that you will be okay and it will pass. There are so many theories abiut it and why it happens but some just happen and then the cycle starts. Lucky for the people who never had an anxiety attack, no way they can relate. We are the people who are aware..very aware of our bodies and most definetly bright people who over think. CBT is the most effective at helping. The right pill can be a challenge to find or not become addicted too.try and figure what anxiety rules you have made yourself aling the way, and you have made rules. One of them is that doctors miss things or even though you had it checked twice dr. Missed it. Or researching your fears over and over cause that will help to conquer it. Just examples. Fear is fear its horrible, accepting whats going on, not liking it, but accepting it is suppose to help it calm down. I must feel cursed myself and im really trying to get a manage on it myself and i cant tell kf im waiting for death, maybe wishing someyimes or scared of it. But living in massive anxiety and panic seems so counterproductive..almost funny. We are all so scared something is unhealthy that we sicken outselves worrying and panicking. Ehich feels worse and is more painful then the ailment lr situation if you think about it. Good luck. Try very hard to live in the moment and believe and know it will pass.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, thanks for your kind words and advice.

As much as I want to accept it's anxiety, I can't. I honestly believe something is physically wrong with me. I was in A&E the other evening regarding a tender area under my right rib, I honestly thought it was a tumour. How can anxiety cause that part to become tender? I dont remember hitting it on anything either. The doctor said it was nothing to be concerned about and again mentioned stress and anxiety. I felt better that night but I struggled to wake up, feeling so weak and groggy and stomach issues still ongoing. I'm scared to go to the toilet in case I discover blood in my stools now!

Like I mentioned before, I'm due some blood test results this coming week and I'm absolutely dreading it. I can't stop thinking of it no matter what I do and I'm always thinking of the worst. Guess I just have to carry on until the day comes. It's crazy how life has so suddenly just changed, I can't believe it.

• Posted

I frequently have pain under my left rib.. where the spleen and stomach start. I honestly think it is just gas but with anxiety our minds plays tricks on us and every little pain is heightened.
    • Posted

You could be right as I have had a lot of gas. And you're definitely right about every little pain being heightened! I did a few activities yesterday to keep myself occupied and now I feel a few twinges in my leg as back. But obviously, me being in this anxious state, I can't help but think that something sinister like cancer is spreading.

I didn't have an x-ray done. I wanted one but the doctor said it wasn't a concern as it wasn't swollen or anything. He suspects IBS but told me to just try to relax and wait for my blood results.

Do you experience any other stomach pains? Any trouble going to the toilet?

• Posted

Yes, started getting a niggle under my lowest right rib and also my back. I wouldn't say it's a pain where it causes me great discomfort, it's just there niggling away. What's your pain like?
    • Posted

The back pain is achy sometimes stabbing and my ribs are the same and my stomach but the reason why I can't settle is because these are symptoms of late cancer really makes me panicky 
    • Posted

I have always had toilet troubles so that never concerns me. My stomach never hurts always just makes noises and freaks me out. Most of my pain is from the ribs up because i think i have a heart problem but i have had tests and i dont. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thank you Ashley, good luck to you too. I'm also getting the stomach noises, especially after I've just eaten. The problem is, I don't know if it's normal or not because I wouldn't have noticed them before! It's only now because I'm under such stress.
    • Posted

I have to say I'm in the same boat as you Ross. I'm tired of panicking. I am really scared but if I happen to have it then I just want it identified as soon as possible. All this waiting around for appointments, results etc does not help at all. If I ever pull through this, I'm signing straight up with BUPA!
    • Posted

I'm glad your tests are all clear. I think you need to tackle the anxiety and you'll hopefully be able to live in peace. I will cross that bridge when I come to it, just need to get the all clear like you have!
    • Posted

Yeah it's not nice at all but we will be ok we can beat anxiety
    • Posted

I have the all clear on my heart but that doesn't stop me from worrying about brain cancers and things like that. We can do this!
    • Posted

Just stumbled onto this discussion. Similar issues here. Have any of you found some resolution to these? Were they stress related or have some of your tests come back all clear?

I'm having a battery of tests done in the next 3 weeks (blood, ultrasound) and sneaking up an x-ray via my chiropractor as well (easiest way as doctors don't often agree to doing them).

I'm on the fence about it all. I recently saw a psychologist who helped me identify that some of my feelings over the past 20 years have been related to mild panic attacks. They seem to hae gotten worse now that I aware of them, but I'm now at least aware of them.

Started acting in a higher level position at work about 9 months ago, started feeling lower back pain a few weeks after, chlked it all up to working in the backyard but my psychologist related it to somatization, me driving most of my feelings inwards because I couldn't express/externalize them. Something that I think is more common when you have an introvert personality.

As soon as I started truly acceptigng my feelings about anxiety the pain went down by approximately 70 percent. Makes you wonder.

i've since started feeling pain in my testis, pelvis and abdomen area, and at night (and simetimes during the day) I get this general feeling of being unwell (cold sweats included), like something is messing with my lymph nodes because I am fighting an infection.

when you look all of these up you start freaking out, testicular cancer, pain in the groin being sign of it having spread, cold sweats as sign of lymphoma, etc. Obviously not what you want to be reading, but the only advocate for yourself is yourself, so making sure everything is in order by asking your doctor for tests is important. My family doctor wouldn't get me an mri done 6 months back, she left and the doctor that replaced her refused as well. It's only about a week ago when all of this pain was freaking me out that I finally went to a walk in clinic and the doctor there prescribed a battery of tests that I'm only now starting. If you're worried, try and try again until you find someone willing to support you.

In any case I wanted to know if anybody had had resolution to their issues, and I will share my results no matter the direction once I get them in a few weeks.

• Posted

hi, i know its been 2 yrs since this thread. how are you? i believed its stress/anxiety related. im like that also. everytime i feel so down/stressed/depressed/anxious its always affect my stomach. i can relate to the gurgling, rumbling/noisy stomach everytime im anxious but theres no pain. its just noisy. im also self diagnosing myself or diagnosing myself through google😅 my mother would get mad at me telling me why would i give myself a disease by thinking i have it. i told her that i would only get better if i get all the test that i want just to assure me that im healthy and my digestive issues are just really stressed related

• Posted

Hi how right you are about anxiety. I have had pains in right side for 4 months had blood tests 2 u sound scans told fibroid then not a fibroid anxiety through the roof and I think at this stage I'm expecting pain as soon as I wake up. I am v spiritual and do a bit of reiki . I'd love to pm you I'm sure we could be great friends.

• Posted

Hi, I have terrible health anxiety and worried myself sick, I can’t get rid if tightness in ribs and unusual feeling in left side of abdomen, had all tests and nothing wrong, but as soon as I wake up my brain is fixated on it, it’s horrible, hope yours has gone xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.