I can't accept that some symptoms are caused by anxiety

Posted , 47 users are following.

Hi all,

Last month I had a testicular scare and since then l haven't felt the same mentally and physically. In the days leading up to the appointment, I was in a state of panic. Felt weak, stomach pains, irregular bowel activity, pain in lower back, amongst other things.

I had my testicle issue checked by 2 different doctors. They both said it definitely wasn't cancer and most likely caused by the tight pants I used to wear. I mentioned the other symptoms and they said I was just highly stressed.

Although I was very relieved it wasn't testicular cancer, I was still concerned about the other issues. I was waking up early, still feeling weak, especially in my legs. When I tried to get back to sleep I would experience a head rush like dizziness. In the space of a week, I went to A&E twice and also my GP twice out of sheer panic. Each and every time, I was told it's stress/anxiety. But for some reason I cannot accept this.

I now no longer feel the testicular pain I had before but my stomach pains, particularly lower down on both sides, seems to have flared up. I'm experiencing constipation and still wake up each and every morning feeling ill and lethargic. I've hardly got an appetite anymore and I've lost a bit of weight which my colleagues have noticed. I've been going in to work but I just don't feel right. I cannot focus or work how I used to. I'm having sleep issues (insomnia) and the bags under my eyes are ridiculous.

Now, thanks to all the google searches on symptoms, I seem to have diagnosed myself with bowel cancer. I've got another appointment on Thursday where I will plead for a blood test and possibly a colonoscopy/endoscopy.

I just haven't felt the same and I can't accept that anxiety is causing all of this physical pain.

Anyone else feel this way too?

0 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I too have experienced what you have described along with other weird experiences. My worst being the palpitations/ chest pains/dizzyness/tingling fingers. I have had loads of different blood tests, chest xrays, ecgs, heart tape, and a echocardiogram of the heart.. what a supprise all came back ok. Then after the all clear my symtom s vanished for a few weeks.... It wasn't long until they were back, a bit a stomach discomfort turned into weeks of cramps and weird pains. It's my anxiety that was back, convincing myself it's something serious, ...it's just a vicious cycle...
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your anxiety came back. Are you feeling better now? Have you managed to overcome the anxiety like last time?

• Posted

Do you feel sick all the time like your dying 
    • Posted

Yep. As soon as I wake up until I go to bed again. I get this weak feeling constantly, like I'm slowly withering away. I find it a struggle to get out of bed and no matter how long I sleep for, I've got these terrible bags under my eyes. This is why I'm convinced there's something more than anxiety affecting me.

How about you? Are you working? Did you manage to see your doctor?

• Posted

What's the pain like on a scale of 1/10for you I go to the dr Thursday im working but it's getting to a point where I feel so drain and ill and in pain I don't no how much longer I can 
    • Posted

To be honest, the stomach pain isn't so bad. I'd say it's a 2. Regarding your thread about your deep leg pains, I get pain around the hip/groin/pubic area and I'd say that was a 3-4. Feels deep, sometimes like a burning or biting sensation. I've been getting the weak legs from day one. They just feel shakey. Feels weird when I walk on them, I'm fully aware that it never used to be like this. I used to play football 3 times a week so I'm gutted this is happening to me. I've never been in an amount of pain where I feel I have to call an ambulance, I tend to go A&E the next day but only out of sheer panic. How would you rate your pains?
    • Posted

I would say it can be different day to day like I've always suffered with headaches so I can deal with that but pains in my ribs is what worries my I wouldn't say that there really painful they scare my more than anything do you get pains in your hands feels like in the bones
    • Posted

I get pains in my ribs too. I also have pains in my ring finger and my legt wrist. Feels like it is the bone as well.
    • Posted

For me too, the fact that there's a niggle somewhere scares me much more than the actual pain it causes. This is what makes me panic and go to A&E. I feel as is something is spreading and I want them to catch it before it's too late. But before all of this, even just a few months ago, a little niggle wouldn't bother me at all. I used to get chest pains when I smoked but thought nothing of it and carried on. If that happened now, I'd go straight to A&E. I think I'm slowly coming to terms with and accepting anxiety.

I haven't experienced any pains in my hands. The closest is a muscle type ache around the armpit area.

Have you had the rib ache checked out by a doctor in the past? Did it feel like your stomach pains were slowly moving upwards?

• Posted

I'm the same thinking something is spreading yes the Dr said that my muscle were tense or maybe a trapped nerve that's why he recommended muscle exercises but I'm not with him on that I no he's a Dr and we should believe them but I just can't think that would be the problem I wouldn't say moved upwards but moved around 
    • Posted

Yes i had a chest xray. There was 2 big black circles where i feel pain.. dr said it was gas. Tried to get him to do another xray last time i was there he told me no. The pain radiates to my back as well. I also get the pain sort of under my arm pit. Seems like its a lymph node. The pains seem to stay in the same area.
    • Posted

No really painful, just a dull constant ache. Yes apparently i do. Never did before this.
    • Posted

No.. there was "gas" right where my stomach starts (its right under the lungs)
    • Posted

Off and on. I have my days. Lol. I just got over a cold and ear infection and now ny anxiety is back. I feel like when i am actually sick it gives me somethin else to focus on
    • Posted

Ya it's not nice well I hope you can get it under control I wish I could 
    • Posted

Hey Ross, how are you doing? My stomach is playing up today more than usual. Little pains and that bloated feeling. I'm sure I even felt it spasm. It's got me really worried.
    • Posted

Hello mate been Dr today cause I been in so much pain he again put it down to anxiety so gunna try some meds and maybe some counselling see how that goes that bloated feeling I had that all day today felt a bit sick with it as well what do you mean spasm 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.