I can't accept that some symptoms are caused by anxiety

Posted , 47 users are following.

Hi all,

Last month I had a testicular scare and since then l haven't felt the same mentally and physically. In the days leading up to the appointment, I was in a state of panic. Felt weak, stomach pains, irregular bowel activity, pain in lower back, amongst other things.

I had my testicle issue checked by 2 different doctors. They both said it definitely wasn't cancer and most likely caused by the tight pants I used to wear. I mentioned the other symptoms and they said I was just highly stressed.

Although I was very relieved it wasn't testicular cancer, I was still concerned about the other issues. I was waking up early, still feeling weak, especially in my legs. When I tried to get back to sleep I would experience a head rush like dizziness. In the space of a week, I went to A&E twice and also my GP twice out of sheer panic. Each and every time, I was told it's stress/anxiety. But for some reason I cannot accept this.

I now no longer feel the testicular pain I had before but my stomach pains, particularly lower down on both sides, seems to have flared up. I'm experiencing constipation and still wake up each and every morning feeling ill and lethargic. I've hardly got an appetite anymore and I've lost a bit of weight which my colleagues have noticed. I've been going in to work but I just don't feel right. I cannot focus or work how I used to. I'm having sleep issues (insomnia) and the bags under my eyes are ridiculous.

Now, thanks to all the google searches on symptoms, I seem to have diagnosed myself with bowel cancer. I've got another appointment on Thursday where I will plead for a blood test and possibly a colonoscopy/endoscopy.

I just haven't felt the same and I can't accept that anxiety is causing all of this physical pain.

Anyone else feel this way too?

0 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi....my anxiety has worsened since I had to have my first ever operation to have my gall bladder removed 4 weeks ago.Every time I feel a twinge where it was taken out I assume there's something wrong.My anxiety symptoms are the same as yours but I also get hot flushes,red hot face,tingling in both arms,diorrhea, butterflies badly and long lasting in my stomach,difficulty breathing,heart palpitations too.Im trying to be strong and have been to and from docs and even rang the samaritans for someone to talk to in the middle of the night!I feel I can't control my life anymore....I'm still seeking help.Dont give up l,I'm know it's hard and I think I have stomach cancer as my mum had it...but I overthink and that makes it worse
    • Posted

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It's hard isn't it? Regardless of what a doctor will say, we still have doubts. I was also tempted to call the Samaritans the other night but instead I went out for a walk. Over thinking definitely makes it worse but I feel I've lost interest in everything else so I can't help but just think. Are you this way too?
  • Posted

I know how you feel. The symptoms are what make me crazy and I have been checked out over and over, but still find it hard to believe that my GAD and Panik Attacks cuase these, since 2008! Fibro, skipped heart  beats, tightness in chest, back and muscle tension, IBS, sleep disorder and and and. I have been on opipramol since years and have gone through two long term psycho-therapy periods. Some times it is under control and then it flares up again. Then I start focusing on all my symptoms. I measure my blood pressure all the time...find myself with my thumb on my wrist checking for my pulse...am running constantly to the doctor...asking for ECGs to be done, blood work and so on. They always tell me I am in great condition..but it only alleviates my thoughts until the next symptoms start. It is sickening...the depression kicks in and all I want to is curl up on the sofa and disappear.....
    • Posted

I wish there were more of these testimonies out there. It helps to read up on others having similar issues, if only to keep one's sanity.

I'm thinking of going on anti-depressants to see how it would affect my symptoms.

I do take the occasional beta blocker when I know I will find myself in situations that will trigger my anxiety such as delibering presentations. It helps regulate my heart beat and I get less of the symptoms associated with a panic attack,

One night a few days ago, my fear of dying was so high and I was so convinced that I had cancer and it had soread to my lymp nodes (cold sweats, feeling of a fever even though my temperature was fine) that I was grasping at straws to calm myself down. I felt pain all over my abdomen and pelvic area, was cold due to he cold sweats (my bed was drenched) and ended up shivering uncontrollably. I couldn't tell whether my shivering was due to me being cold or me being scared.

I took a beta blocker and over the course of the following 15 minutes some of my symptoms started to go away. I was no longer cold, no longer felt the fever, fear had somewhat dissipated (as much as it can under the circumstances).

If anything at least there is a go to until I get my results. Hoping it might help others.

Reading up on experiences like yours do help and I really appreciate you sharing them.

• Posted

Hello. Anxiety has a way of convincing our minds that we have whatever it is that we first focus on, and since we are so focused on this one sickness or issue then our brain convinces our body that there is something wrong, which refers pain to whatever area we're so worried about. I was and still am having this issue, but with my heart. For the past four months I have been believing that there is something wrong with my heart. The first two months were the hardest for me, I was having symptom on top of symptom and google was driving me nuts because everytime I typed in chest pain, left arm pain, neck pain, back pain, nausea, I would end up believing everything on the internet. I have been to the ER numerous times, and I have gotten over 10 EKGs done. Not only EKGs, but also nuclear stress tests and an echocardiogram. The last time I spoke to my cardiologist he explained that I am way too young to have a cardiac problem and that he will keep doing every test he possibly can, if it'll eventually make my anxiety symptoms calm down. I'm telling you, this anxiety stuff is no joke and most times, though we are able to admit it, we still let it take over. Like even right now as I'm typing this, I'm having chest pain, neck pain and arm pain.... sucks.
    • Posted

My anxiety started in October of 2014. And it started with my heart as well. I was convinced I was going to die. I had tests done and they said my heart was fine. I still did not believe the doctors. Finally my dr put me on lexapro. I am now able to live my life without worry or fear that I will die. I knew my symtoms were caused from anxiety but I wasnt able to accept it either. I still have random pains in the chest area sometimes but I am able to continue on my day and not let it bring me down. I pray the same happens to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Ashley. My doctor switched me from prozac(10mg a day) to propanolol (10mg 3xday) and so far the medication has calmed my palpitations down, but now my heart rate has gone down by about 20beats. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing, but if propanolol doesn't work for me, I will keep trying whatever to get back to how I use to be. Or atleast try. God bless
    • Posted

Was your heart rate high before? Mine was consistently over 100 bpm because my anxiety had me all worked up. I think that was why i was having chest pain. My medicine calmed me down so it is now in the 70s
    • Posted

I had a pretty normal heart rate it would stay around 70-80, but it would quickly elevate to about 100 within seconds at random times. It's never really been past 100 unless I was working out or running... my chest pain has calmed down a bit since the propanolol though, so that's a good sign. How did you feel when your heart rate was constantly so high? Besides the chest pain
    • Posted

I pretty much could constantly feel my heartbeat throughout my whole body. Mostly in my fingertips. It was so strange. I literally could do nothing but lay down and try to calm myself. My body felt like i was constantly working out
    • Posted

That's how I felt for the first two months of my anxiety. I was afraid to do anything, all I could do was sleep. Even when I slept I would wake up with my heart racing and constantly having panic attacks. I'm glad that you're doing better though and that your heart has calmed down.
    • Posted

Yep. Anxiety really is awful. I truly hope you can get yours under control. Best of luck to you
  • Posted

Hi I know this is an old discussion but I was wondering how you got on with all your tests? I have been suffering from anxiety/ panic attacks since 2011 which came out of the blue. My life has never been the same since. I too have. Been to the ER numerous times and have had all the tests cat scan/ ultrasound chest X-ray dozens of blood tests all negative. I now have anxiety related blood pressure problems which scare me to death!

I also get weird pains that come and go in my chest and back that always make me think the worse. I wish I never googled my symptoms this has definitely been my biggest problem and has made everything worse.

Like you I really find it hard to believe that anxiety can cause all these symptoms which can really be scary as you know. If you are still reading this forum it would be good to know how you are getting on.

It is comforting to know you are not alone. Regards Mark.

• Posted

Been having similar issues to everyone on this thread.... any updates?
    • Posted

Feel the same way as he did/does. I agree with you Jy. I wish others would keep up and participate in this thread and support one another... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.