I can't do this alone

Posted , 13 users are following.

Where to begin? Well, I'm an alcoholic, I guess I'll start there. I've tried quitting a million times before and always to no avail. Right now I am in hangover hell and I am looking forward to that first drink that is guaranteed to kill this hangover. And that is how I operate.

I have been drinking almost daily for about 7 years. And I have been alone for the last 7 years. This is no coincidence. I chose alcohol. But now I'm beginning to see how these two factors really perpetuate each other. I don't want to be alone anymore.

But who would want me in my current state? Alcohol has robbed me of everything of value that I once possesed. My humor, my wit, my creativity. All of it, gone. I'm am a drunken, empty shell. I want my self back. I want to be that girl who loved, and enjoyed life, who froliced in the sun, who danced in the rain. I don't want to be that girl who hides inside her house all day, too drunk to face the world. I can't live like this anymore. This is not living.

So I find myself here. Because I can't go it alone. I've managed to keep my problem a secret from my friends and family. They haven't a clue. I live alone and have no one in my life who is paying attention to what I'm doing to myself on a daily basis. No one knows that I'm slowly killing myself. And because no one knows, I know that I am not letting anyone down when I reach for that bottle at 9 o'clock in the morning. My hope is that someone here will pay attention.

Tomorrow I quit drinking. (I know, why not today but I have my reasons. Doesn't an alcoholic always have her reasons?) But I promise- tomorrow I will quit. I know I've made that promise before but it was solely to myself. But now I'm making this promise to everyone, to the universe. Maybe I'll keep it this time.

Thanks for listening.

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Let tomorrow come this time...only you know what alcohol is doing to you and how you want to be as a person...I have been a wine drinker for a long time and that couple bottles or three binge for me was a killer and I too didn't want to be like that.... so I am in the process of change as I too didn't want to be that person either .....it's a good enough reason to do something about it...I chose meds and they are making a big difference already .. Like you I was too embarrassed to see my GP

• Posted

why be embarrassed about having a recognised medical illness/disease, call it what you like AUD is a medical condition.

If you fell and broke your arm, or kept being in pain, surely you'd go to your doctor, or would you pay to see a consultant? Each to their own, we make our own decisions and it's entirely up to the individual which route you take.

• Posted

I understand where you're coming from but ultimately, I am the one that decides to put that drink to my lips. When I broke my arm, that was not my decision.

• Posted

Keep on going and keep on posting..Many of us have different ways of dealing with our issue and it's what you feel comfortable with right nowand maybe who knows you might eventually feel you need some outside help beyond the anonymity of a site such as this .Your sobriety will bring you the courage to maybe seek other support if needs be ..The future is bright 🌞

• Posted

If you have drank today and gave in.  Let's make tomorrow and new day for both of us!

I know I just replied to your post on mine cuz you helped me!  Your story helped me and reading about the person you talked about being it me too.  I have always been the person to try to help others, happy, smiling.  I've got a pageant crown in my bedroom from past years, voted best personality.  (I am in no means bragging, I just know where you are coming from!)   I know who I am inside and I've used my time drinking and sleeping my life away lately.  I'm still miss happy in public but then there is the sad alone that sits by herself on a computer at home or sleeping a day away.

I am determined this time!  I want to make this secret disappear from my life from this day forward and thank the Lord, it's been a good 2 days!  Hopefully 2 days, will become 3, 4, 5....forever!

We have to get through this!  I hope you read my reply to your post on mine.

God Bless You!

• Posted

I'm with you sister. You're 2 days ahead of me, that's awesome! 2 days doesn't sound like much but when every day is a struggle...every day you succeed is a milestone. I hope to be where you are, two days from now. Thanks for reaching out, it means a lot!

• Posted

And I look forward to tomorrow. I hope you do too!
    • Posted

It's here, sister!  Don't get me wrong I'm tapering so I've had a little in those 2 days.  Day #3, hopefully even less.  I feel good so far!  Goal is for tomorrow to be the last drop and Monday none forever!  smile  That's the plan!

You hang in there today!  One minute at a time!

• Posted

Today was easy. I've reached the point where I am just so disgusted with myself, and my body is so tired from the abuse, that I just want so badly to be done with this, once and for all. I'm looking forward to feeling good tomorrow. I'm looking forward to waking up and feeling like a normal human being! But- I do worry that tomorrow will be harder. Because when I'm feeling good, I usually want to celebrate! I'm pretty confident that I won't imbibe, but I know the temptation will be stronger. But- I will resist! And I'm glad your staying the course! Congrats on another good day.

• Posted

I failed miserable the past few days.  I'm disgusted with myself.  So here I go again.  Like you said I want to wake up and feel normal again.

I'm gonna do this.  I hope you are still doing well.

• Posted

great to stop today...gradually is best like suggested by the others. I do wish you best of luck. Robin
  • Posted

Oh my god i heard u loud and clear u made me cry because i know what u are going through i dont drink but i have 3 grown sons who do they have there own families except for the youngest who is 29yrs old hes been drinking for 7yrs non stop why i know he still lives with me..i know hes struggles and how much he spends drinking ..i hate it because ive dealt with alcohol. All my life my dad was alcoholic along with uncles.brothers sisters who passed away because of alcohol. So ive seen and heard it all it consumes me and i dont drink its a sad exsistance in everyway..i dont know u but it seems like i do because i know what u r going through. If u need any one to talk to iam here and i will listen..Your friend Gina
    • Posted

Virginia, I feel for you!  I'm on here because I have a issue too.  My family and friends don't know.  My Dad is dead due to it and she is disabled and I'd never want her to know.  I feel for you as a Mother!  I can't imagine watching my children go through this and never thought I would have taken this path.  Going on day 3 for me and I am determied to do this.  It's not a good life and like your son, I have spent more money that I would wanna know or can afford on it.

It must tear your heart out watching those around you kill themselves in the same way.  God be with you and your sons.  I just said a prayer for you all.  That is where I am putting my faith!

• Posted

Thanks so much for being here Gina. I'm sorry you have to watch your son suffer in such a manor. I know that if my mother knew what I have been doing to myself, it would break her heart. I hope your son recognizes his problem and gets the help he needs.

Happy to say I got through the day and never even considered a drink. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow, and not feel poison in my body. Thanks for having my back.

• Posted

Thank you..means alot! Good for u stick with it hun it does get better and better u will see.Ivpray that my 3 adult children see what its doing the people around them this alcohol addiction is very selfish i see it in more ways than one.I will also be praying for you.You deserve a life of happiness, your friend Gina😊

• Posted

I do not know how you cope Gina but you all the replies here can help you. We do not mis judge people. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.