I can't take it anymore!! Perimenopause horrible..HELP!

Posted , 336 users are following.

I am 48 years old, stay at home mom with two children.  They are in school, I try to keep myself very busy.  I have had OCD and anxiety, I have been fighting it for years. But, now the Perimenopause is really terrible..depressed, mood swings, tension headaches, dry and itchy skin.

I have spoken to my sisters who are all past Menopause, they tell me their stories but I just cannot believe that hormones can cause all this havock.  I do not feel myself at all, my PMS is worse and the week of my period I actually feel like I have a disease and I am dying.  Feel like I am going crazy!! Please tell me if this is normal to feel this way at this time, because I am obsessing and cannot get my mind off of it.  Need Help!!!!

32 likes, 739 replies

739 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi Jennifer,

I can completely relate to how you're feeling. At times I have worried constantly that I must have some horrible disease. Which only drives the anxiety into overload. Headaches, anxiety, depression, heart palpatations, feeling so weak I felt I could not even walk, feeling so dizzy, and off balance. Feelings of impending doom, felt like I might be dying. Too many sysmptoms to list them all. They all equal a constant feeling of being unwell. There have been many times I literally was afraid of going insane.

I finally told myself. I can either let this completely take over my life, or I can do everything in my power to learn how to live through it. I have started out by trying to control, and manage the things that do make the symptoms worse. I have started eating a cleaner diet, taking supplements (Jayneejay is a wonderful resource on supplements), cutting down and eventually cutting out caffiene, excercising, and most importantly, learning to breathe and stay in the moment. I still struggle, however, I do find myself feeling a little stronger everyday. I know I will have good days, and bad days. I remind myself that I am strong, and will NOT let this continue to define my life. I cannot be thankful enough for all the wonderful caring ladies on this site. We are all in this together, and we will all love and support each other through it.

Jennifer, I am sending you very positive thoughts, and reassurance that you do not have to fight this battle alone. Take a deep breath, and remember as a woman we can and will survive this!!

Kim

• Edited

Oh that could be me Soo me.. The worst part is no one I know seems to be like this. I am forty two. I can't believe it's so hard and I have to go online for support. Everyone around me convincing me it's my lifestyle know it's hormones as my bloods and crazy bleeding show. When vulnerable feel I'm going mad and think it's my life my marriage my job and then I'm better again until next month. Thanks for all the support. How can something natural be so hard. Thanks for sharing and dying to form a support group of some kind. You have to live it.
    • Edited

I feel same like I'm dying something horrible aniexty depression achy all over horrible back pains headaches been in out er I'm 45 n feel like I'm losing my life. Can anyone help me I feel lost n hopeless sad God bless you all
    • Posted

Oh you poor thing. Feel just like you today almost physically poisoned think I get that achy thing when I have ibs. Don't know anymore. This is he'll. Love cofee two lattes a day. Have to give that up too I suppose. Mama I've heard people say. Hang in there. 😱
    • Edited

Hello! I have just signed up so am brand new. I am a 48 year old mother of two. I have had generalised anxiety with some depression for many years. Four months ago it came back with a vengeance. I am now on a high dose of antidepressants, plus vitamins and antihistamine as pollen makes me worse.

I assume I am peri menopause, but I have a hormone coil so I don't think it can be tested. I have no real periods anyway.

But...I have nearly every symptom listed here and I am so relieved to have found this thread!!

• Posted

Sounds the same as me. I'm on anti depressants for anxiety/depression and also have the hormone coil so while I feel I could be peri menopausal as my pmt is a lot worse and lasts a lot longer I can't tell from my periods which is what people go by.  Some days I feel like an evil monster. It worry that although I have the coil and on anti depressants my hormones still seem to be messed up.  I would feel a bit better if I knew for sure if there was a test to show at least then I'd have a reason. I have suffered with my hormones and moods for most of my life and feel sorry for my children and friends. It scares me how low my mood can go and the thoughts that go through my head when I'm so down.  We're not on our own just wish there was more help out there. X
    • Posted

Well, I'm new to this forum thing and was grateful to find this site. I was interested in your reply post because you are searching and finding ways to not let menopause take over your life.  I have been struggling with mood swings in the past few years and it has been frustrating trying to balance hormones. I had a complete hysterectomy after endometriosis. After that, I began to experience anxiety and mild panic attacks while they tried to balance my estrogen replacement. I began taking Premarin .0625 which took awhile to adjust to. It finally leveled out, and I had been symptom free for 15 years, when suddenly things changed. I am back on .0625 after trying bioidenticals. My issue is that I will feel fine for a few weeks, then suddenly moody, tearful, anxious, difficulty concentrating, depressed for a week or 2, then for some reason I suddenly feel calm again.  I am on 20 mg Lexapro for depression, eat a healthy diet, am 58 years old, and still have a couple of weeks of anxiety and mild panic, especially in the afternoon. I have been using mindfulness to calm myself down, but am getting frustrated that I have a hard time getting my focus off of myself and onto the environment during these times. I added 250 mg magnesium, have been taking B50 and a multi, D3 2000 and added 750 mg inositol.  I would like to stabilize my mood and be able to concentrate better during times of anxiety. Any ideas? Has anyone else conquered this?
    • Edited

Thank you , Kim for your reply, you sound a lot like me,,,and when we feel sick yes we feel all alone, cause ppl around us dont understand because if you never experience you wont understand, but I wish i had friends that I can talk to daily and get support that way, to let me know i am not lossing my mind, i tell my husband that is how I feel.  Drs need to get more serious and do an investigation and study this thing closer...too many ladies suffering, when my daughter had her babies I couldnt even help her ...was too sick and weark.  if you found anything i know you wrote this a year a go.  
    • Edited

Please don't think you are on your own hum,i have had this for 5 years,my muscles burn,i cant even walk up stairs without it burning,my periods are awful,i am so anxious about anything and everything,my stomach turns over constantly,the one thing i wish i could do right now is stop working as im a carer and my job is demanding and im just so tired,but i cant as i don't get paid when im off work and i have too many financial commitments,its really killing me and ruining my happiness im at my wits,end x

• Edited

Hi Debbie...i know the feeling. I really struggle with work somedays. I am a cleaner and if i don't work i don't get paid. Somedays i feel physically ill with aches and pains and fatigue.... sometimes i am anxious or down. Its so hard atm....and i can't handle stress anymore....it makes me worse.

I just keep pushing on but just want to sleep i get so tired....and i am only 49!

• Posted

I am so glad I read your post. I am 45 and feel like I a dying of something and severe back pain. I just don't feel normal and scared what's happening to me. My whole body aches. My bloods came back normal and am waiting ultrasound. I haven't had a proper period since Feb and I seem to gain weight every day and eating less if anything

• Posted

Hi, this is my first time on this thread. I am 45 and 1 month ago I began to have the horrible tightness in my throat and a pain in my stomach. I now am having very emotional days where anything can make me cry. I did have an endoscopy which was negative and will have an ultrasound of my thyroid soon. Blood work was all normal. I feel so unlike myself ! The lump or knot feeling in my throat and tightness in my throat is the worst!
    • Edited

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your story. It has helped me know I'm not crazy. My boyfriend doesn't understand and always states 'he's not a doctor', and my doctors keep bouncing me back and forth.

Did you ever have insomnia? I sleep maybe 4 days out of the week.

Also, I'm down for a diet change, I think clean eating or vegan is good for me, I crave that type of food (and I do love it). Did u crave proteins or feel like your not full enough? My caffeine is almost nil except for an occasional coffee or tea.

I've tried all natural sleep aids, and estroven. Nothing works. I've tried breathing exercises and sleepy tea before bed. If I do fall asleep, it's for 2 hours - 45 min ONLY. Then the cycle repeats, but most of the time with severe nausea and vomiting, up to 8 times a night.

If I don't have hot flashes waking me up, I just am up with insomnia. The insomnia is debilitating, the anxiety and depression that comes with it.... I cry for like 30 minutes at a time.

I've had severe migraine headaches before, if I can get through that then I can get through this, even with the sporadic migraine this disease is throwing me. And I feel like it's a disease, like I'm super sick and NO ONE KNOWS WHY.... not even the supposed experts ( the doctors). I hate going to doctors because they make me feel like I'm crazy, and they just re-route me, or deligate me to some one else so they don't have to deal.

I'm so tired, so any advise is welcomed.

• Edited

I've been the same, spent 18 months feeling I'm losing it and that doctors think I am too.

Too many symptoms to list as I just put everything down to my hormones now.

Try herbal medications as have found these really help symptoms. Cammomile tea before bed and counting back from 200 sometimes helped. If not get up and do some chores rather than lie getting frustrated.

I did try HRT but if like me your migraines seemed related to your hormone cycle you may find it makes you worse but worth a go.

It will get better and now most days although I rarely feel normal I can still function during the day, evenings and nights are worse for some reason.

Unless people are going through it they can't really understand. I just stopped being honest when people ask how I am as felt like was moaning all the time.

Stay strong and try to find herbal solutions that help you, Black cohosh, Sage leaf abd Agnus Castus are all good.

• Posted

Dawn, do you have severe anxiety? I have severe anxiety and depression. I already had it before because it runs in my family, but it's totally worse now. Everyday is horrible. I don't even like to leave the house. It just makes my mind start rolling. How are you doing now

• Posted

Hi there Iv just read your post

I get a strangling right throat and struggle with clothes away from my neck, stomach pain yesterday in Tesco sooo bad I had to crawl to the cafe to try and be normal ordering tea

Searching in my phone for bowel or stomach spasms!! But honestly it's s blessing finding this site today as all the things written Do ring a bell!! Mood swings and instant volitile feelings and tension with people around me

Preferring to stay alone with the cat rather than being wound up!

I think it's the change stretching its legs within us I have not had children things never seemed to work out, and now this stage of naturally ending the opportunity seems soo cruel, but it's nature and thank gif for all you ladies I don't feel alone xxx thank you

What gets me most my emotions seem to rest low I gave to make s special effort to climb up the pole not allowing it to drag me down

Because I am cheerful and happy all the past 45 years have been ok

Good luck lovely and all who read these posts

Thank you xxxx

• Posted

Hi Kim27003 I loved your post I'm right behind you definitely believe to clean our acts up and exercise eat healthy and think about body harmony, yes breathing.

Ohhh I'm hopping with exitemdnt at the thought Iv found new amazing dynamic women who write their minds here so we can be relieved

There is one thing I visited Glastonbury village recently where a best friend lives, I found great understanding in natural things, lots of info on our spiritual energy our natural body and peace

I walked up the tor straight up the side! I still think I'm 36 and still do exactly the same things, it was breathtaking 7.30 am to be surrounded by the mists of Avalon! Well the Somerset planes

I believe more nature heals xxx

Lovely to meet you kim xx

• Edited

I also have the same symptoms having lump in my throat following heaviness on my left leg. I had my throat checked blood counts and everything normal. I am 52 two and my period stopped almost two years now. I just started to have these symptoms like when I'm stressed something is pulling my rectum down and it's taking all my energy and really losing weight .

Tension headaches are terrible too.

Anxiety is the worst part cuz I guess that's where all these symptoms started.

I am thinking to get HRT .

When I feel worse and my sleep interrupted with this rapid heartbeat I just try to get up walk and get sunrise .

At least my body get first supplement.

Really it's good to know that I'm not alone with this battle.

• Posted

I can so relate to you it's like im telling my story I feel so helpless

• Posted

Hi Dawn

I am reaching out to this post late, and do not know if it will be read but if you read this could you respond?

I am on a journey in trying to figure out about deprression and peri/menopause, and anxiety.

It seems like most women do not suffer from the depression with menopause. I have dropped into an abyss in the last 4 months with super dark mood, and now that I havent had a period. I will be 53, and have found the mental aspect of this whole thing more than i can deal with. I have two kids 12and 15, and trying to manage tons of life stressing events now with this and chronic neck paiin.

Ive tried two different antipepressants with no effect, only worsening of symptoms making me feel super creepy.

Now im looking at HRT and bio identicals.

I hope you are feeling better now, this post is a year old!

Blessings

elizabeth

• Posted

I know how you feel. I am right dab in the middle of perimenopause.

For months all I could do is take him to school come back to bed and push through

The rest if my day. Anxiety at an all-time high. Mood swings. Migraines. My typical state of being.

I refuse to be on antidepressant cause I'm afraid of side effects. I do have my emergency medicine if the anxiety is out of control.

I've started walking more,cooking healthier meals. Rarely eat out. Take naps. Take breaks. Chamomile tea. Dark chocolate. I wear a moon rock around my neck.

Meditation music. Funny movies. What ever it takes to feel better one day at a time. Right now I feel the best I've felt in a long time. Take care and good luck.

• Posted

I know this is an old post but I just started experiencing exactly all the above symptoms 3 months after an endometrial ablation. Although I have anxiety & depression it has heightened recently and I bet peri menopause is the culprit. 

It's just awful and honestky, scary. 

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. It saved my day today being home with 2 kids. 

• Posted

Kathryn, I know this post is old, but was wondering if your anxiety has gotten any better. It is my major symptom these days and A/D don't seem to be helping much. 

• Posted

Jennifer do you still access this site ??  If so can you PLEASE MESSAGE ME PLEASE I AM STRUGGLING AND HAVE SOME QUESTIONS IF YOU COULD SO KINDLY RESPOND THANK YOU VERY BERY MYCH 
    • Posted

Hi Karen

Just joined this site and I'm too feeling really horrible in this premenopausal stage at mo I'm 7 wks without cycle vutility have mood swings, weight gain and top it all bad bloating. ... xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda (Cronelady), 

I have been communicating with Mauiblue these past weeks and she has been truly amazing for me, a lighthouse in a dark harbor...and have just now come across this post of yours! So grateful to read your message as i did a similar thing, after struggling for 7 months with intense and persistent anxiety which was accompanied by life stressors and debt etc and a partner that wanted a baby ( A BABY!@!), which we did fall pregnant had a miscarriage then had surgery on per cervical cancer i couldn't sleep and was at a all time high for anxiety. My variation is of the catastrophising kind. I went to see a psyhciatrist as i was fearful for my self.he said i was fine. Didn't feel fine so checked myself in to a hospital too. given sleeping pills which I've now been using for 6 weeks ( my Dr wants me to stabilise before we do anything else). I havent heard of anyone else going to a hospital like i did. It somehow makes me feel less odd and extreme. I'm slowly trying to regain my life... baby baby steps... financial counsellor to help with debt, starting to work just a little ( literally just an hour or so), CBT therapy twice a week, my GP twice a week and walking my dogs, staying in touch with friends...I would love to have a conversation about something other than mental health or hormones!!! I want to bake and chat and exercise and feel normal again....i think my partner is super stressed by it all as my thoughts get so dark and turbid and i share it with him. ive written notes and burnt them as i dont want to go down that road..I LOVE LIFE and want it but my thoughts get to where i feel so dark...

Im seeing an endo/gyne in 2 weeks and i just HAVE to believe that he can help me....This post has helped me soooo much Thanks you

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

As I sit here feeling horrible this morning reading old post on this forum. I hear everyone keep saying it will get better. Well, please tell me since you posted a year ago you are better now. Im desperately trying to keep Hope Alive.

• Posted

Hello vix72, I’m new at this, so don’t know where to start.    But, how r u doing.     Hope you have a approached a healthy happy part of the road.    I too am horrified of what’s happening to me.    Been reading oh soooo much to make myself think that all is normal.      Of all my family and friends.  I am the lucky one to go thru this craziness first.     I’m afraid, for how long it will last for how I’ll get thru this.    My Doc just prescribed me some Venlafaxine, I’m nervous to take them, since i really don’t do Rx.     What to do.  What to do   Hope to hear ur doing better.   ATX 
    • Edited

I am falling apart myself !!  I don’t even know where to turn done docs cardiologist test halter monitor echo etc told me I was fine in peri to have a host if other medical problems to I wished I had someone that is going through the same as me !  I hope you are feeling better I just want an end to this so I coukd have some life back I just turned 49 in November and I feel like my life is completely over !!  
    • Posted

Hi Karen how are you doing today? I hope you are better. I understand what you mean. What have you been taking for your symptons?
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn,

I know this was posted a few years ago but Ian going through what you are/ were... my gynecologist says my hormones look good but I am dien here!!!. What did you do to feel better?

My main issue is horrible high blood pressure swings.. and all the mds iv e seen just want me to get a lifestyle change!!. I saw a naturopath last week and hope she helps!

• Edited

Hi  am new to this I feel the same havnt been diagnosed yet but since Oct/Nov I have never felt so out of myself 

Symptoms 

Aching body

Dizziness as if room spinning 

Chest tightness 

Acid reflux feeling of summit wedged in throat

Palpitations at times 

Itchy scalp/ hair falling out  dull hair

Nails aren’t as shiny look dull 

Worse around my menstruation one day heavy bleeding spotting day after

then nothing third day I get two weeks of the month when I don’t feel as bad 

All blood tests fine thyroid fine had chest X-ray all fine feel like a hypochondriac 

I feel like am going crazy took myself to hospital twice thinking I was dying it’s taking over my life practically 

Am 37 could I be going thru this perimenopause as I can’t think what else it could be all this has come from nowhere never had anxiety issues till Oct /Nov 

Any herbal or vitamins that can help me I have to be careful tho due to having b12 injections would a multivitamin be any good any advice would be appreciated x

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. I am 49 and have all that you describe. I am taking those deep breaths, and it is so comforting to know that this will pass.
    • Edited

Such an inspirational reply!biggrin

I have never had a fear of going crazy until I was hit by perimenopause...intrusive, weird thoughts...I am spiritual by nature, so I even found myself wondering if I was under some sort of spiritual attack when the symptoms first hit me like a ton of bricks! Insane! I mean , how can a person even describe that feeling without sounding absolutely bonkers? The isolating feeling is terrible. I won't even get in a relationship because I assume that absolutely no man will be able to wrap his head around what is going on with me.

• Posted

Hi Kim I am so glad I found this website!!

You described exactly what I have been going through!!!!!!  It's so depressing, all these feelings!!!   Thank you so much for sharing your story!!!???? 

• Edited

Hi Female brain

I just read your post and could totally relate to what you are saying. Insane brain, no way to describe it to anyone because you will sound bonkers. I hope you are doing ok. I just posted a post tonight on depression and anxiety mixed in with this menopause. Its a joke.Just thought id answer your comment.

xoxox

• Posted

So well said... the isolating feelings are the worst!!!
    • Edited

Hi Dawn

My symptoms started when i was around your age, im 52 and still dealing with some of the symptoms..im here to tell you it will get better, im not sure if im feeling better because im so used to all this craziness or my hormones start calming down some!!

I had everything you describe, the anxciety and the constant health fear that something horrible was happening to me, the trips to ER, test after test..and after 7 years i start noticing little improvement. I can sleep again, i can drive without being scared im going to get dizzy! I start liking doing things again and want to be around people!! I can say 60% of my symptoms are gone.. i still have a hand full of them but its better then 66 or more!

Change on my diet no coffee , sugar, alcohol relaxing and walking really helped me!

I hopeyou feel better soon❤❤

• Posted

It will be ok! I experienced that as well. i had all kind of tests and in the end i was told is anxiety !!! One day stopped and never got t again.

Dont worry, you will be fine xxxxx

• Posted

Hello I was reading your post about bio hrt did you find out about them and if they are better than standard hrt 
    • Edited

Hi!! Thank you for this post. I am almost 50 and I'm having a terrible time adjusting to this change. You mention muscle twitching. I've also developed this symptom (generalized) and didn't realize it was possible due to menopause. It's definitely scary.

• Edited

in addition to many other scary symptoms I am having muscle twitches all over too. very unnerving. i am 47 and have had irregular periods, severe anxiety and hot flashes since March.

• Edited

I am a few months shy of 50 and my symptoms gradually started around age 47. Back and forth to the ER for palpitations or numbness, electrical shock sensation in my right foot, burning tongue, foggy brain, decrease concentration, feeling off balance, insomnia, inner vibrating feeling, burning skin, mood swings, heartburn,...must I go on.

They are worse after eating unhealthy or lack of exercise. I purchased magnesium, vit b6, b12, and folic yesterday. I hope that these vitamins bring me relief.

• Edited

Kim,

Thank you so much for sharing and being such an inspiration. This site is truly a blessing. I pray for all of our strength during this incredibly difficult transition.

Stay Safe,

• Edited

hi

i know this is a really old post but if you should read it, could you let me know if the twitching stopped?

i have terrible twitching mostlyvin legs but in back now too and flu like symptoms plus most of the others on the list . feel like people must think i'm a drama queen but for the 5-6 weeks i feel as though im going mad. i've never felt so ill in my life. im not usually an anxious person at all but i feel genuinely scared. until feb this year i was active and healthy with no health issues, and walked my dog 4-5 miles a day . i've been referred to a neurologist now as gp doesn't seem to think the muscle twitching, pain and pins and needles and total exhaustion are menopause related. i turned 50 earlier this year and my life has turned upside down. i cant work as im too dizzy to drive and cant concentrate. the posts on this discussion are making me feel a bit less crazy!

• Posted

Hi Dedra,

It's been 4 years since your post and I can relate so much to is. Have you felt any better since then?

• Edited

hi i have all this weakness in arms high levels of anxiety out of controll my body is so strange at the minute i still have periods but seems to be earlier .. my hands shake alot out the blue then they calm down i get weakness in one leg then they other my balance was bad at one point i suffer now with agraphobia as i am scared to go anywere .. i sit so tenced up all day my top of arms feel weak and ache .. i thought i had all horrible diseases but i have had mri and bloods my doctor thinks its to do with peri .. she wanting me to take HRT am a bit scared to .. xx

• Edited

I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this! 😦

I can relate to being agoraphobic, I'm terrified of panicking in front of others or having to sit down in public somewhere. Do you deal with breathlessness? I'm currently dealing with a rapid heart and the feeling like i have to keep breathing deeply even when I walk across the room. I'm terrified it's a heart condition and I'mdying....

• Edited

I totally get you. I'm becoming more and more afraid of going places and doing things because of how I feel and because I constantly feel as if I'm going to drop dead.

• Edited

hi there!

i am in the same boat as you, also 42, nobody else i know is going thru this and i feel totally alone! sometimes i think im turning psycho bc of all the mood swings! and every month it seems like its something new. it feels so good to hear other women my age going thru the same thing! lately ive been down in the dumps and cant understand why, i have a great life, good hubby, 3 beautiful healthy girls, nothing to complain about other than normal life stress. then wen my progesterone starts increasing after my period, im ok again. i did go thru a really rough patch wen this first started, horrible anxiety, debilitating to the point i couldnt work or take care of the kids, got on an antidepressant pulled me out of it but then i wanted to go natural so i weened off and now im on an emotional rollercoaster! just trying to take it one day at a time!

• Edited

Sasical72 I felt like that 6 yrs ago. I can laugh now because that stage is over. I was so afraid to just walk up my block by myself. I had to train myself like a baby when it came to going out by myself. Looking back at that time was one of the hardest parts of my life. Hope you are doing well now .

• Posted

Aaww thank you, I do seem to be getting better the further away I am from my last period. Glad to hear you are better!!

As you say it is damn hard!

Take care xx

• Posted

all of this !!! i am 45 and i have had these symptoms for 2 years ... i am miserable!! the pins and needles are awful... dizzy spells and headaches are horrible . It is running my life ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.