I can't take it anymore!! Perimenopause horrible..HELP!

Posted , 336 users are following.

I am 48 years old, stay at home mom with two children.  They are in school, I try to keep myself very busy.  I have had OCD and anxiety, I have been fighting it for years. But, now the Perimenopause is really terrible..depressed, mood swings, tension headaches, dry and itchy skin.

I have spoken to my sisters who are all past Menopause, they tell me their stories but I just cannot believe that hormones can cause all this havock.  I do not feel myself at all, my PMS is worse and the week of my period I actually feel like I have a disease and I am dying.  Feel like I am going crazy!! Please tell me if this is normal to feel this way at this time, because I am obsessing and cannot get my mind off of it.  Need Help!!!!

32 likes, 739 replies

739 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Yes it is normal because I deal with anxities myself all through my life and I'm in post menopause where I have had more anxities, mood swings, crying, yelling, just want to hide away when I feel this way. I feel like a different person because of these hormone plus I take a thyroid medication so these hormones and my throid i don't feel like a whole person so I know what you are talking about. 

I see my medical doctor tomorrow I'm going to talk to her about natural progesterone to help with these symptoms. 

Hugs to you and a smilely facerazz hope you feel better and hang in there

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I too am perimenopausal and taking carbimazole for overactive thyroid.

Don't know whether it's the thyroid or perimenopause that's causing my symptoms - probably a combination of both!

How long does perimenopause tend to last - please tell me it's not many years as someone said it can last a decade or more :O

• Posted

Julie, I've done a lot of reading on peri myself and the avg time Peri lasts is 4 yes, but it can last for several. I was also put on thyroid medication although my thyroid is normal. Some of our hormones are produced by the thyroid

• Posted

Hi Susan, did you experience these issues in Peri as well? Scares me to death that I'm just Peri, and this could go on through post too! Will this ever end!!! Prayers to you💕

• Edited

Colleen,

I already have an anxiety disorder and I'm going to be 46 next month. I think my peri menopause is making it worse. I woke up one morning in July of 2015 and was in a constant anxiety attack. I didn't know what was going on. I had some problems before, but nothing like this. I can't even leave the house much because my body wakes me up at 4:30am with my heart palpitations and I had to up my clonazepam just to function. I'm also on Paxil , but I think that's what happened back in 2015 was it quit working and now it's horrendous!! I've had saliva hormone testing done and the doctor said I must have used some kind of skincare that threw it off because my estrogen was off the charts. My progesterone starts going down on my 20th day of my cycle which is only 26 days long and my menstrual cycle only lasts 3 days. I've developed gastritis from the stress and anxiety and nausea, lost weight and OCD worse.

• Edited

Tibia I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through....just try to hang in there. I too am awaken around that time with palps. I just try to lie there and breathe through it. God bless and keep you 😉

• Posted

My jitters last half the day if not longer. Do you take anything for your peri menopause? Have you been blood or saliva tested and what other symptoms do you have?
    • Posted

I'm on celexa and a mild beta blocker for the anxiety. Plus I take vitamin d3 a good multivitamin for women over 40.... My other symptoms is constant urinating at times...feels like I'm in a body not my own....sudden fatigue😞hang in there

• Edited

Hang in there girl, you're not crazy. I have the SAME symptoms you do. This is soooo new to me and this website has made me feel somewhat normal.

Again I'm so new, any advise you can provide is appreciated.

Hope your feeling much better

• Posted

Cathy, have you ever had anxiety issues before? It's rampant on my mom's side and it's also on my dad's side. I just found this out. My dad committed suicide in 1999. I've done research and found out if you already have anxiety issues that peri menopause worsens it. I can't get off the Paxil because it makes me much worse than I already am. How long do your palpitations last? I get jittery which is what drives me nuts.

• Posted

Dedra, did you have anxiety before this? What is your life like on a daily basis? I've recently found an Integrative doctor and she's doing all kinds of tests. I'm praying to God she finds something so that all this will be resolved.

• Posted

Tonia....I've had slight anxiety in the past..but not to this extent...my mom and grandmother both suffer from anxiety and depression....hang in there....God bless?

• Posted

Hi Tonia

How are you doing now with your peri symptons especially the gastritis. I too have gastritis and can be very challenging trying to eat the right foods. I lost weight with this also. Please say that it gets better.

• Edited

Hi Colleen

How are you with perimenopause? Your post interested me , you said you were put on thyroid med but thyroids are normal. Wow! In my case, first time checked a few weeks ago, blood work show hyperactive. I got them check only 2 weeks later it is now hypo. It is changing from one to the other, and i feel horrible! Losing weight, increase anxiety, increase bowels, palpitations, weakness, dizziness, just feeling awful ..,😓But my endocrinologist refuse to give me anything for it because she says it is still normal and will mess up the other one. Now my eyes have began to bulge out.

• Edited

Colleen, our stories are almost identical!!

I, too, have a history of emotional health issues and have always had a hard time getting stable. But the perimenopause caused my old meds to stop working and I couldn't function. Extreme nausea and vomiting each morning, waking up to horrid waves of crushing anxiety, fearful thoughts and intrusive thoughts, panic, heart palpitations, weight loss, the list of symptoms goes on and on.

It's so wonderful to read these comments and realize that I am not literally going crazy.

God bless you! Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Mary,

As you know from my previous posts I also have these horrible stomach issues.  Just wondering. how tourney stomach is these days ??

• Edited

Hi LCat i am laying here now in agony. My stomach feels like its dry inside with stinging type pain and the twitching is incontrollabe, legs and feet are cold, my back is hurting like muscle spasm. This is really too much! My stomach lately has been a daily issue even when other symptoms decreases...how are you coming along?
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing. I too have a lot of these symptoms. Easing some over the last 5 years, but I so want to be my normal again. Are you feeling better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.