I feel a failure.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I feel such a failure. I'm a trained nurse I give other people advice all the time yet I cannot help myself...let alone others. This is so difficult. I thought I was healthy. I eat well and have a positive disposition...well I used to. Will I ever be the same again????????? I feel really really low. Are there any words of encouragement? Help!

3 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I believe LS and LP are caused through viruses as well, have you ever had a problem lizzie with smear test in the past only I think there's a link, I had an abnormal smear and some treatment then was diagnosed with lichen planus x
    • Posted

thank you so much karen ...yes i think bacteria and viruses are getting through our digestive tracts these days because they are undefended due to low stomach acid. sounds odd i know but they are getting through the bowel wall as well as the vaginal and urethral openings that you mention. i think you are spot on that there's a link. Where do you have LP? Is it intrauterine or confined to the vagina?
  • Posted

It takes a long period of time to really put a handle on this debilitating disease, I admit.  However,  cheer determination, finding out everything you can about it, and then diligently sticking to what works for you, in the end, makes it pretty liveable.  

Please don't despair.  You will get there.  

• Posted

Thank you so much and its very nice to meet you hanny. Yes I already feel cheered up and  fired with enthusiasm to look this up and to get a handle on it. Ok I'll apply some sheer determination and mental energy to the problem. Its great to see all the shared ideas. I've been buzzing around the site and already feel i have some great tips. THANK YOU SO MUCH
    • Posted

You're most welcome.  I hope you soon will find your own unique well being with LS.  
    • Posted

Thanks again...Am going to try to make this into an adventure...especially with all these hands to hold!!
    • Posted

would you be prepared to outline your personal methodology hanny?

I've got the bicab tip! have you quit gluten grains and dairy? i'm not so worried about sugar as i hardly have any  ...plus it doesn't seem to be implicated in intestinal permeability.

altho sugar is inflammatory in large amounts. i'm going to use manuka honey, coconut flour, and clarified butter (Ghee) to make shortbread - my only treat.....on basis that there's no casein or other provocateur.

the other query i have is about intermittent fasting and blood sugar stabilising as gather we are often pre-diabetic .... prob due to all the additives.

• Posted

Personal methodology is a big word Liz.  I'm just being diligent with my baking soda rinses and baths, coconut applications and glob at maintenance level.  Hormone replacement.  Plus my diet - no sugar, no alcohol, no gluten, mostly no dairy.  I'm trying to keep the stress level low. 

Next to LS there are other health issues to consider and I don't know whether items used for these affect LS in some positive way.    

• Posted

Sorry your feeling so low it is hard i know. You will find your own way of living with this condition.  I use steriod cream and sudacrem to sooth soreness.  Awful  when it flares up.  I am going to try Paladin.Stress and feeling run down are triggers for it to flare up for me.Being able to talk on this web site is very helpful. Points of view and advice.
    • Posted

thank you blackcat....love the name and i'm sure you're lucky for us on here. am very grateful...i will keep an eye out for my triggers ...and i really agree with you about the benefit of being able to come here and to have kind people such as yourself say such nice things x thank you!
  • Posted

Stress, stress and stress = major culprit involved in flare ups.  Try to clam down and remember that while LS  is not a nice condition to have it usually settles down in time as you perfect your treatment plan. You will feel better, honestly.

Diet-wise, I'd support all those who have found that sugars are implicated, I'd be less sure about the gluten -that might be more an individual reaction. I think you have to be prepared to experiment with your diet and medications  till you find what's right for you.

• Posted

thanks for so kindly replying.

yes am working on my stress levels ....which are way better now....and i will address my diet....have stated to cut out grains as these break down to higher amounts of sugar in the blood than sugar!! i do feel some improvement...so thank you x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, just because you can't make yourself feel better you haven't failed, you just haven't found the key to this condition, none of us have. Because of the indistinct nature of the condition we all find some things that trigger a flare are not necessarily the same for all of us or even our triggers may differ from flare up to flare up, and what improves the discomfort will vary from time to time as well. THAT is why we are all in dispair at times. 

Stress and distress are triggers that I think we all find, so Dear Lizzie do try and find ways to manage your stress and low mood States. I found that when going thro a very difficult time in my life reinforcing the negatives feelings perpetuated the angst in my life. Trying to find the positives in my life I I found really helpful. For example while The Itch can attack at THE most inappropriate times, at least only I know about it, unlike those with more visible complaints,scars impaired movement etc. so take heart you will have been therapeutic to many people, now as someone else, said love yourself and don't be so hard on yourself, low hormone levels are also a contributing factor so try and get the endorphins counteracting the effects. I hope you soon smile again....give a smile and most of the time you will receive one back

Good luck Sue

• Posted

thank you so much sue for your kind and encouraging response...its just what i needed ..

i think hormone imbalance can be a factor too...but i also think we can over-rule this with feed back to the brain....eg with meditation...which i've been neglecting....since the hypothalamus controls the release of thyroid hormone....and i'm out of balance with that...but am lowering my TSH without taking thyroxin...so rather proud of myself....and very grateful for this commentary and sense of community which is just what i was looking for.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT...it is just what i was hoping to find...and if its ok to ask.....please may i have some more !!!!!!!!!! x

• Posted

hi you haven't failed you can get better i agree with all those who post on here there are so many factors involved with is promblem that it takes to us to do research and try  to see what happens stress is a big factor i feel the enviroment we live in and our supporters we go up and down but thats life isn't it and that sucks sometime just know we are here for you. water is not an issue for me no fluride in my water i drink rainwater as it comes i did cut out a lot of sugar chocolate doesnt affect me either , thank god for small merciesbiggrin i do use a baby nappy cream with amolin in it helps protect but i still cant have intercoarsecry but with the help of this group and our womens health phone support in australia i am ok. keep up the great work you do as a nurse cos your awesome in other ways oxox
    • Posted

'just know we are here for you'.....i hear you christine! i am so grateful thank you!!!!!! and would like to reciprocate!

hey wow that you drink rain water...that's inspiring. think i'll look into that as i did too at one time.

i'm awesome!!!!! oh thank you!! well i feel it now. i do love nursing too.

i came across desitin when i was in the states which is full of zinc and is a great nappy rash...i'd get it if i could...tho we have sudacrem which has some zinc in it.

thank you again for your lovely message xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.