I'm 65 years old and still bleeding occasionally. Anyone else in my age group still bleeding?

Posted , 38 users are following.

I have seen at least 3 different doctors. General Practice, Naturopath and OB-GYN's; but no one will say if I am in menopause. They only stress that a woman my age should not be bleeding. I've had pap smears (normal); ultrasound (normal); transvaginal ultrasound (normal) and an endometrial biopsy last year. One of the OB-GYN's looked me in my face and told me that the test results came back and I had cancer.

I looked at him and told him I did not. He was livid at my suggestion that he could be wrong. He had already scheduled an appointment for me with an Oncologoist for a consultation which angered me even more, because he did not have a right to assume I would be agreeable to this. He finally said, the definitive diagnosis would come from UCLA. I waited and when it came, I DID NOT have cancer. I respect the profession; but they will not dictate how my life will be lived nor what I will believe about my own health. I wasn't in denial. I just knew that my body had no cancer. When things are wrong, we as women really know it...and we will seek the help and hopefully, the right advice.  I really hope to hear from others if you are in my age group or older and are still bleeding. The doctors have been taught to assume that this is not normal; therefore, it must be cancer. 

3 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I saw your posts both here and in Patient. Can you let me know what you or your doctor want to achieve using the Progesterone (reading Dr. John Lee?)? And has this approach worked for you? Are you using it as an alternative approach and because you want to avoid any surgery such as hysterectomy? Where would you suggest those who share your problems go for help? Sorry I am asking so many questions because I have been crazily searching answers to no avail. I am 60, have fibroids and suffered heavy bleeding because of that for almost 10 years, and things slowed down since last year and my fibroids appear to be shrinking, needless to say I have had many TV ultrasounds and once the doctor suspected that I had sarcoma and an MRI proved not, and now the doctor suspected that I have uterine cancer and asked for another TV ultrasound only shy of 3 months after the previous one. Needless to say I am still bleeding however she would not test blood on hormone level saying it is not accurate unless I am just about to menopause

I have also heard that bleeding will not stop with fibroids unless they are removed by hysterectomy. Do you know if this is true? 

I appreciate any comments/help/guidance!

• Posted

Hi cathy24549,

Yes, I have definitely read Dr. Lee's books and believe the use of natural progesterone is the right approach to alleviate estrogen dominance. Synthetic progesterone are progestins and are not natural. I was given those when I was younger and the period would not start on it's own. The side effects I experienced were horrible. I am trying to help my body get back in balance naturally; therefore, hysterectomy is not what I choose to do...at this time. It is my prayer that I will never need to submit to this procedure, but I don't know what the future holds regarding this consistent, slow bleeding for the last 3 years. I was recently told that I am so anemic that it isn't understood how I am still functioning. I've recently begun taking 325 mg of ferrous sulfate twice daily, per doctor's instruction. I am definitely not a medical professional and am seeking answers as you are; but, regarding your question as to my suggestion where others should go for help...my honest response is that each of us must research natural treatments to educate ourselves about alternatives to western orthodox medical methodologies. Natural makes more sense to me. I am not concerned about my fibroids because my last ultrasound showed that they were shrinking. I have read that they are never cancerous but do return sometimes if you opt for surgical removal. How ironic that your doctor was also resistant to complete blood tests to determine if you were in menopause. Doctors that I had 6 months ago said the exact same thing and I quote: "Oh, your hormones do not need to be tested for menopause. Of course you're in menopause, you're 66 years old". I concluded that it wasn't important to them because they "assume" certain things about women when they reach a certain age. This is not fair to me; therefore, I found a new doctor last month.

My new doctor completed a myriad of blood tests and at 66, I am NOT in menopause. I sincerely hope that you find a path for yourself that leads to abundant health

• Posted

Well Ladies...at 62 years of age (just turned in July of 2018), I had a biopsy done yet again (6th or 7th one now) and in spite of progestins continuously, cyclically, a Mirena IUD which sent me to the ER and I had removed 3 months into it as well as Prometrium (vaginally), I am continuing to have daily bleeding with a built-up lining again after 2 D&C's as well as a polypectomy, endometrial ablation, 2 hysteroscopies and so many ultrasounds (including 2 sonohysterograms) and an outside agent's 4th opinion that it's not cancer or pre-cancer thus far, I've decided to cut my losses now while I can and get the Hysterectomy done now and at this age vs waiting to see.  (My FSH is still at 17 pmol/L and estradiol at 170 Canadian value).  The biopsy came back as "Simple Hyperplasia NO atypical cells" so, I think that it's time to get this done.  I can't continue on mentally and emotionally with daily spotting to bleeding any longer.  My ob/gyn fought with me to prevent this but agrees that it's the ONLY thing left to do now at this age that we haven't done.  

I'm SCARED but, I also cannot see another way to deal with this issue and I don't seem to be going down Menopause Lane easily or quickly.  Most others my age were done and over with over a decade or more ago now.  

Anyone have any comments or is this now a forgotten thread?  

• Posted

I am 64 . I have had the same experience of bleeding and going to the gyn . i was told it was cancer and they had not even ran any tests or any thing. after tests it was shown to be fibroid  no cancer now they want to take out my uterus . I have not bleed in 3 months.
    • Posted

Sorry to say this and I'm not trying to be offensive but I worked in ob/gyn for some years. I'm retired now. It sounds to me as if they just want to make money off of you. I have 3 fibroids, which on occasion will cause me pain but my gyne has never made the suggestion to have them removed. I'd avoid going under the knife for something millions of women live with. I was told i'd have bleeding on occasion, which does happen but I'm not worried about it, since I know it's not cancerous but my fibroids acting up. 

• Posted

I have a question for the ladies in the group- Are any of the ladies dealing with late menstrual cycles over weight? I ask this because I understand that being over weight increases estrogen levels.  And, are any of you bleeding more than 14 days of the month?  Thank you- I appreciate any answers and help that you can offer me. 

• Posted

I have a question for the ladies in the group- Are any of the ladies dealing with late menstrual cycles over weight? I ask this because I understand that being over weight increases estrogen levels.  And, are any of you bleeding more than 14 days of the month?  Thank you- I appreciate any answers and help that you can offer me. 
    • Posted

yes i am over weight, and I have heard that my whole life as well... I do believe this to be true, plus the women in my family continue into their mid-60's ...so I was also told by my mother that it can take up to 20 years before actually going through it... so I am waiting patiently and not allowing anyone to alarm me...

• Posted

Hi Sesha777

I am 61 years old and I am still having a period. I have had multiple biopsies, sonograms internally, D&C in 2016, regular pap smears, cat scan and no sign of cancer. I was still worried. Some years ago, I use to bleed every day. Finally it lightened up to every 2 weeks then back to once a month. Now it's back to 2-3 times a month but just for a day. I have a fibroid which is kind of large but it doesn't bother me. I believe I have had every test to check for cancer. I really appreciated you sharing your experience because I was thinking, I can't be the only woman over 60 going through this. Medically, it's not normal, but just like everything else times are changing

and people are living longer so with some of us,our bodies are staying young. Your reaching out has helped me a lot as well as all of the other responses. Thanks again. Women go through so much in our bodies thats why it is good to share our experiences.

• Posted

Hi Sesha I just turned 60 years old and I still bleed of and on I have slipped months but have never made it a year yet.
    • Posted

Hello Marie43906,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been 2 years since I originally posted my question about "bleeding at the age of 65" and it is very empowering as I hear women's stories about diverse menstrual histories. I can see that we are all strong; intelligent and resilient in this struggle to understand what is actually happening in our bodies. Many women in this thread have encouraged me to accept that what I am experiencing may "just be normal for me". I ask you to do the same. I am still bleeding...but now only occasionally. No doctor has ever informed as to the SOURCE of the bleeding. I believe that it is from the fibroids and perhaps I am still in peri-menopause. Since I am not a medical professional, I will never offer suggestions as to what you or anyone else should do to address a specific problem; but I will share that I researched and used a natural product that pulled estrogen from my body within the last 6 months. The endometrial lining thinned evidenced by the fact that I bled more at that time and passed lots of clots. I lost 25 lbs during this 6 month period and now, I feel great. I previously posted that I am taking ferrous sulfate to address the anemia from all the bleeding over the last 3 years. My hope for you is abundant health now and in the future.

• Posted

Hello Sesha. It is interesting to read your posts on here. Am I right in thinking you have only used natural progesterone as a form of hrt? Have you never used oestrogen in any form? I have been told that the hrt I am using (Evorel Conti patches) is feeding my fibroids and causing the bleeding and spotting I have every two weeks. 

Are you able to tell me the details of the natural product you have used to pull the estrogen from your body or point me in the direction of your research please?

I am thinking I should stop the hrt and let my body have the monthly periods naturally (although they were horrendous before hrt) until my body decides I'm at menopause. I'm 59.

• Posted

I am 64 years old and I still have my periods... my doctor too tries to tell me that is not normal... well in my family it is...my grandmother had hers into her mid 60's as well... so I am not worried about it at this time...

• Posted

Hi sharlene51432,

Thanks for sharing. You are not alone. I have maintained throughout these conversations that I have a definite respect for the medical profession; but they only know what they have been taught; therefore, they treat accordingly. I look at my relationship with my doctors as a partnership. I acknowledge that they have the medical expertise and understand the anatomical and biological functions of the body better than I; but they don't know what I am truly feeling and experiencing unless I share that. Menopause is a normal event in a woman's life; but we have been made to feel that it should be medicalized. Mutual respect is crucial in my interaction with my doctors. 

• Posted

Hi Sesha...what a refreshing thread to read through and know that I'm not the only one who is and has been going through this.  Thank you for starting it.  

Background:  I am 61 years of age (will be 62 in mid-July of this year) and I've been through umpteen TV ultrasounds, 2 D&C's, polypectomy, endometrial ablation, 2 hysteroscopes, 2 sonohysterograms, 3 to 4 in office biopsies, post D&C pathologies, blood tests (FSH and TSH), Provera for nearly 6 months, Prometrium, the Mirena IUD for nearly 3 months with horrible side effects of cramping and bleeding, normal PAPs and the list is endless.  I'm on my third gynaecologist as none of them know what to do.  

ALL of them said, "oh...you should be in menopause" and have tried to force it via all of the above.  

Needless to say that the latest that they wanted to try me on was "Lupron" to "trick my body into thinking it was in Menopause" and yet...about 6 different FSH and Estradiol levels have come back as "perimenopausal" with the last one being at 17.  

I admit that I would love to be done with the horror, fear, worry, surgeries and testings and most of all, the bleeding.  I've done it all and frankly...it's either I'm ok or I'm not.  Which is it?  Even a 4th opinion netted me a "you just may not be done yet...BUT...I think with all that's been done...a hysterectomy is the treatment".  

None of the biopsies (D&C or in office) have shown cancer or even pre-cancer.  I have a small outer fibroid that they've all said would not cause the bleeding and the progestin/progesterones given to me all caused horrible side effects, including the Mirena IUD.  All that they did was cause me to bleed, cramp and feel wretched.  I quit them and refused more when the last consult and re-examination of the pathology slides from the last D&C done Sept. 2016 said it wasn't even pre-cancerous.  

I am overweight by quite a bit and I have had "simple hyperplasia, NO atypia" which they say will not go to cancer except in 1% of less of the time (normal chances without this close watching and testing etc., is 3% to 4%).  I was told not to worry about that.  

So, what exactly am I worrying about then, I've asked????  I mean...if they aren't finding anything to be concerned about...what are they doing and why???  I keep asking myself those questions.  

Yes, I'd rather be safe than sorry but, it seems that an ob/gyn's position is that if you're over 52 years of age...you "should be in menopause" and "it could be cancer" even when they've ruled it out over and over and over again.  

The last visit in August of last year (2017) to the gyn, she said, I could try Lupron but, from my tests, I may not be done (ie: in Menopause) and are likely still in perimenopause BUT....she would see me again in May of this year and do another in office biopsy (OUCH!).  For what?  I'd love her to tell me that much and not just to protect her from a mal-practise suit.  

Ok, if I'm not done, I'm not done.  I do get it that their main concern is cancer but, to look at a patient, ask their age and without knowing say, "this is likely cancer because you 'should' be in Menopause by now" just sort of angers me and blows me away.  

I'm glad that I'm not alone in this as I go through another tad-bit of brownish/pinkish spotting and don't know what it will do.  It's been nearly 2 months now but, I have no idea what to think anymore.  I'm not doing or taking anything at the moment.  I've done it all and I'm fed up with it.  I figure the ONLY thing that I haven't done yet is....leave it alone and see where I go with it.  

Anyone have any thoughts on this with me?  Any personal (I understand no one is a professional) opinions are greatly welcomed.  

HUGS to all of you ladies and Sesha777 for starting this discussion.  XO

• Posted

Hi Jamie. My story is very similar to yours. Scans every six months, told I shouldn't be still be bleeding. Our only difference seems to be I am using hrt. 

Do you have any symptoms of perimenopause? If so how do you deal with them?

I tried many over the counter products for years to try to stay natural but when the palpitations, nausea, mild anxiety, hot sweats, cold clamminess, breathless (I could go on) started to affect my daily life, I asked for hrt. Now I'm told the hrt is causing the fortnightly spotting. It's been suggested I use an antidepressant instead of hrt. I don't want to do that.

I have an appointment for a scan on thurs to check on the womb lining. 6 months since last one which was 6mm.

Like you I am tempted to just leave alone, take nothing and see what happens. But I don't want all the symptoms to come back. Any tips to do this naturally welcome. x

• Posted

Jamie, all human events happen on a bell curve.  Yes, of course, the majority cluster at the top of that curve.  But then there are those who fall on the far ends of that bell curve.  Our problem is, we like to stuff things in neat little boxes and expect everyone to fall in line.   You appear to be on that far right side of that curve.  

I've seen this for years with childbirth.  You darn well better have that baby in 40 weeks, or they'll induce.  You darn well better dilate 1 cm per hour in labor, or they put you on pitocin.  You better deliver your baby within 24 hours of your bag rupturing, or they'll do a c section.  All in the name of "safety".  I'd like to find the man who made up all these rules and smack him.  LOL

Good luck, I think your thoughts are spot on.  Your body will do this when it's ready.  

• Posted

Hello Jamie. Wow! While reading your comments, all I thought was, "Jamie sounds just like me when I first shared about my experiences in this discussion". The only difference is that the doctors told me that I did have cancer after biopsies......which is NOT true.None of the biopsies were definite. They were all contingent upon me having a hysterectomy so that a specimen could be obtained for a definitive answer. I STILL refuse to subject my body to this procedure.  It is now 2018 and I was given this dire diagnosis in 2015. I feel great. What is most important in all this is that I KNOW my body. My chronological age and my bleeding seem to be of concern to the GYN's I've seen, with no consideration that this may just be normal for me . If I were truly sick, I would know it and would seek appropriate help.  This discussion has been a blessing to me too; although I started it. (smile)   I appreciate you all!!!!

• Posted

Hi Maisie....

Yes, HRT is the ONLY difference between us...though, I must say that I have had Provera, Prometrium and the Mirena IUD (for only 3 months as I was getting migraines...the scary type and ended up in an ER in case it was a stroke).  I haven't taken estrogen as apparently, my estrogen levels are at 198 (Canadian value) FSH 17.  

I can say that I do get palpitations, night sweats here and there, anxiety, depression, really tired and cold hands and feet.  I also suffer from headaches a lot.  

I did try 6 different antidepressants and they didn't agree with me, personally.  3 were old tricyclics and didn't work to help one bit except give me MORE problems.  3 were the newer SSRI versions and made me feel rotten.  I stopped them all.  I do take Diazepam for the anxiety though and Advil for the headaches.  

I don't know of any "natural" remedies, I'm so sorry.  But, I have begun to remove "parabens" from my product lines.  I wear make-up and use soaps etc. without parabens, including shampoos and conditioners so as NOT to add more estrogen into my body or keep it going.  

Someone in here asked about being overweight.  Yes...I am plus sized and my BMI is 1.5 times what it should be.  However, I also have an ob/gyn who was my size (she is losing weight by cutting back on calories and, she's 12 years younger than me).  

If this makes any difference, they say that the estrogen is what causes the symptoms that you are describing and certainly fits my profile THOUGH NO ONE has tested my progesterone levels???  I'm unsure why they wouldn't though.  Apparently, during Perimenopause, our estrogen levels RAISE greatly by proportion to our Progesterone levels.  When there's a drop, it's the PROGESTERONE that drops greatest and first.  That's why my lining builds up (ie: I produce enough estrogen and more than I should for my age but, not enough progesterone so, I keep being given that alone).  

I am not a doctor (of course) but, if this were me, I'd find and visit (if I could afford it that is) a specialist in hormone panels to see where all of your hormones sit.  They can give you only what your body requires and will repeat blood tests to see what can be lowered or raised.  You may not need the estrogen and that may be causing your fortnightly spotting (ie: it builds up the lining but, there's not enough progesterone given to shed it or thin it???)  

I think that when a doctor cannot answer as to what is going on, it's time to move on and find another doc who can answer our questions more fully with explanations that we can accept.  

If this were me, given all that you've been through and that you don't wish the symptoms to come back, I'd have a blood test done by someone who knows what they are doing and a full panel on all of your hormones to see which ones may be higher.  There is a ratio of estrogen to progesterone of 2:1 respectively that they look for.  Your estrogen may be a bit too high.  And speaking only personally and for myself...I wouldn't touch antidepressants with a 10' pole given what I've been through with them.  I think you're wise to hang on there and try other things first (like a full blood panel and I'm looking for a doc who will do that as most traditional ob/gyns don't want to do it).  

I hope this helps and I'm so sorry for the later response.  I wanted to keep my mind off of this stuff for a bit and just be.  I've been a nervous wreck over it all and still am.  But, this place keeps me sane smile 

XO XO XO 

If I haven't answered your question fully, and you're still reading this thread, let me know, please.  I'll try whatever I can to help as I know how frightening and upsetting this can all be.  

• Posted

Thank you so much gailannie for your response.  I do believe that they plop us all on a Bell Curve and if we don't fit into the "normal" ranges, they suddenly decide that there's a problem.  Problem is, they've disproven anything dangerous (though I'm due for another in office biopsy in May this year...OUCH!...just to be "annoying" as she puts it).  

I hope to finish this soon and be a normal person LOL  

XO XO XO 

• Posted

Sesha, I'm hoping beyond all hope that ALL of us come out the other side of this ok and arrive at Menopause like normal people LOL wink  

Of course, hysterectomies are the ONLY sure way (I was told very emphatically) that there is no cancer anywhere.  Even D&C's and Hysteroscopies done in hospital they said weren't "conclusive".  If we were in our early 50's and experiencing this, they wouldn't be questioning anything beyond a PAP, an ultrasound and normal everyday testings.  Because we are older in age than the "norm", I'm sure that they "guess" and assume that we have something dreadful to be concerned about.  Hysterectomy is their only way of ensuring that there's nothing going on.  However, I find that much like people who have their gallbladders removed and still experience the pain so, they go onto other things and say "ooopppsss...didn't need to come out", to be guessing and covering rear ends as well as making money.  I know malpractice insurance is expensive but, most people know that suing a doc is a futile endeavour unless one has lots of money, time and patience LOL  

If I truly need a hysterectomy...I need it but, not with the reasoning that I've had thus far.  And, I would be choosing another doc to do it as mine is only in office 1 to 2 day's per week and is IMPOSSIBLE to even get through on the phone (only voicemail) if I do have a problem.  I know...I've had problems and tried.  I can't get through or get a call-back in under 3 weeks with any reasonable assurance one way or another and being told that she's "too busy" to have me come in.  

I appreciate you having started this thread too.  Thank you!  

HUGS and may you find answers and be finished SOON! smile  XO XO XO 

• Posted

Jamie, I know that we will all come out on the other side of menopause just fine; but we must get through this peri-menopausal period.  I'm happy that you have not been given a diagnosis of cancer. Even if you had, you can ask questions of your healthcare professionals to determine in which direction to turn. I enjoy reading your comments as well as the other women. It's so refreshing. It feels that we are all standing on the same moving conveyor belt; heading in the same direction...toward menopause. Each of us are encouraging the other to "just hold on" assuring each that we will ALL be OK. LADIES, HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!  

• Posted

No I have not I have had test done but I didn't even have fribods. But I'm so happy to know there are others dealing with this I should have talk to my mother more about this. She died a few years ago she was 93 she told me if I could handle it handle it don't take Hormone shots but I didn't ask her about going this long

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.