I'm all over the place

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I'm a new person here. Just asking for some advice really. 

I drink at least two bottles of strong wine every night, a lot of time it's more - I'm on my 3rd one now.   I'm 54, I live on my own.  For me, what else is there?  Nothing really I suppose.  Even so, I don't want this. I've tried quitting myself but I've never had any success.  I've never had any kind of medical help. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks there's anything the NHS can really do for some like me. I think that only I can do anything - I can't of course.  But what can doctors really do. What kind of practical help can they offer?  

Is it really worth going to my doctor?  

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

there are alot of great people here and with very good advice... listen to them smile

• Posted

The NHS can help you to a certain extent but you need to help yourself as well,there's no miracle cure but there are a few aids.

I was referred by my gp to local alcohol services and all that that entails.Its not nice but I just metaphorically put my head down and faced into it.

I was prescribed Nalmefene which slowly stops you wanting to drink so much but it took a lot of effort on my part to get them to prescribe it to me.

• Posted

Hi Nicole, is the nalmefene working? Has it reduced cravings so to speak? I'm not physically addicted to alcohol yet it's more psychological I guess. When you say you had to put in effort before they would prescribe, what did this involve? My alcohol services will only prescribe medication if you intend to quit altogether regardless of the fact that some drugs were designed for those who want to reduce intake not cut alcohol out completely.

Thanks loads x

• Posted

Hi Emma

Initially it was working but I think I'm over the honeymoon period and still drinking 1 to 1.5 bottles a day but it can take people a year to see results so I'm just plodding on.

I basically had to insist I be considered for this drug as it was my right to be assessed and luckily they agreed

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

For some reason I thought you was on naltrexone lol not nalmefene. Reading the posts too fast. This happened to me too on nalmefene, I didn't get same buzz but knew in my head more drink equals relaxed feeling etc. I also felt sick a lot of the time.

Would like to try naltrexone or campral but the alcohol outreach people said you must quit altogether and abstain before they will prescribe anything x

• Posted

I tried naltrexone from a private doctor before I got Nalmefene from the nhs and it seemed to work a bit better than Nalmefene but that might have just been the honeymoon period because I thought naltrexone and Nalmefene worked in the same way

Maybe Joanna or Paul could confirm this

Luckily I had no side effects on either

• Posted

Aw that is so so lucky to have no side effects. Mine on nalmefene were vile. To start they were really bad but then got better. But then pharmacy messed about getting the next batch in so I had a break and then had to go through side effects again. Initially not as bad as first time but seemed to feel nausea all the time. Worse than a hangover!

I think naltrexone is meant to have less side effects that is why I'd like to try it. How long were you on it for? Yes it is a worry if I only get honeymoon period on that drug too. Campral sounds good in reducing cravings but think you need to be abstinent.

X

• Posted

I was only in naltrexone for about 2 weeks,the first time I tried it(half a tablet) I struggled to Finnish a large glass of wine but that didn't last
    • Posted

Good to hear you didn't have any side effects from the Selincro, Nicole! 

Basically, they have different profiles when it comes to how they affect the opioid receptor subtypes. Both Nalmefene (Selincro) and Naltrexone antagonize (block) the Mu opioid receptor (MOR), but Selincro is a partial agonist (activates) the  Kappa opioid receptor (KOR) and the Delta opioid receptor (DOR). Naltrexone blocks all three, but it's action on the DOR is weak. Have a look at the Wikipedia page for Nalmefene, down in the Pharmacology section it goes into a bit more detail. Nalmefene also has a longer half-life than Naltrexone.

• Posted

Thanks Ade

Would that mean that Nalmefene SHOULD be more effective?

• Posted

Some studies have been done on the naltrexone vs nalmefene situation.  One done in 2013 concluded:

''The comparison of these two medications given the current state of knowledge and treatment evidence suggests that there are minimal if any differences in efficacy for reducing heavy drinking. In terms of adverse events, nalmefene may offer an advantage in no hepatotoxicity and the lack of need for liver function testing''.

It is important to find studies that use naltrexone in exactly the same way as nalmefene (ie as per The Sinclair Method).  In a lot of studies, nalmefene looks to come out way more efficient than naltrexone BUT they were using nalmefene as it should be used, and naltrexone as an every day with abstinence medication so it was like comparing apples with oranges!

• Posted

Thanks Joanna

I think one of the main advantages as far as I'm concerned is that's it's not toxic to the liver which is reassuring when still drinking

• Posted

Hi you,I have been drinking enough to get me to sleep,not what you want to hear,just lost my mum to lung cancer,not an excuse,as I have drunk 2 litres of vodka a week for yonks but want to live to a decent age,have 2 wee dogs that need me,a daughter of 34 and son of nearly 30  I need them,they need me,can we help each other? Nursed my mum for 10 months to lung cancer,had moved to Isle of Mull 6 months before,so not even settled there,but what a beautiful place !  
    • Posted

hi Angela. I feel for you since my father aslo died recently and it was unexpected. Too keep it into perspective and clear focus: yes, you will have to reduce your drinking if you want to your children grow old with you but 2 litres of vodka is a lot....have you had any check ups?? just wondering and do check with you GP and drop gradually and probably medication as well. Best of luck from Robin
    • Posted

Thank you for your honest comments,the doc gave me a leaflet to attend a clinic(Gateway to Recovery) but not went yet,would have went today but waiting on a phone call from vets regarding blood tests on my wee dog,so worried about her,and on Sunday I am going back to Isle of Mull where I will be very isolated,my future is very uncertain but I am very aware of the drink problem,and support from people like yourself will all help.Thank you Robin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.