I'm having tkr want some information

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am scheduled for tkr in August, I just had total hip replacemnt in April.  I found the hip replacement painful but definately bearable.  Now my question is how painful is it?  I was told by several people that it is worse than the hip surgery.  Who can tell me about their experience and what to expect?  Any help would be so appreciated!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've had both hips replaced 6 times now 4 on the left 2 on the right, and one knee. Yes the pain is much worse with a knee, but the hip is worse in the restrictions you have post op, ..unless you were lucky to have anterior hip ..

there is also a lot more physio required with a knee than a hip. That's my honest opinion,

• Posted

wow 6 times?  If you don't mind me asking why so many time?  I had the anterior hip surgery.  I healed very quickly and am walking outside with a cane.  Inside I don't use anything, but I'm more secure in home!
    • Posted

Ive had a total of 14 joint replacements the fun begins when you start doing revisions,..

I had 3 dislocations on the left and the right was a metal on metal hip which was slowly poisoning me,..all my hips were posterior, if I was just going Inxto it now, I would insist  on  an anterior...

then shoulders another kettle of fish altogether worse than a knee .

• Posted

Hi Maryann, I have had the dubious pleasure of having both a Hip and Knee replacement, the latest being the knee.The knee is a very different beast from the hip, I remember having almost instant relief of pain after the hip, discomfort yes but nothing compared to what I had before surgery. The knee was a different story, I had worked in an Orthopaedic theatre so knew that this was a brutal procedure and I suppose I focused more on getting through the surgery itself than the recovery afterwards. It's tough, I don't think anyone would disagree, pain and lack of sleep are constant companions but you do and will get through it. I am now 11 months post op and have a really good range of movement in my new knee, no it's not like a normal knee but that's hardly surprising really. I think the main things to remember are to keep on top of the pain, exercise even when it's the last thing you want to do because you're miserable and you're tired and it hurts, do it but at the same time be kind to yourself, rest when you can and be patient. It's a huge op to get over, and a real roller coaster but you'll get there, 3 steps forward 2 back a lot of the time and you can't measure your progress in days more like weeks. Good Luck, I hope it goes well for you. Time spent exercising pre op is never wasted either, build up those muscles and you'll have a more stable joint afterwards. All the best
    • Posted

Can you say more about what you mean when you say 'its not like a normal knee' - in what way? it might help me and others - I am craving for my knee to feel normal - will it though? Or is this the new normal? How different should it be compared to the other knee asuming the other knee is normal?
    • Posted

Hi deb, thank you so much for your honest words and encouragement.  I have to say after reading all the posts I'm a little more scared than when I was going for the hip.  I sure hope it will be worth it!
    • Posted

Now that I'm at 6 months I can assure you that in the end it was worth it for me.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, sorry not sure where you are on the journey of TKR but I am quite a way down the road now. When I say it's not like a normal knee it's more about sensation than function. I have been lucky, I have a good range of movement but the numbness on the top and to the side of my knee remain unchanged. I still experience a feelin of tightness around the joint too on occasion and after 11 months it still gives me a tweak now and again. I can't comment on whether this will change but I know if this is my new normal then it's nothing I can't cope with. Hope that helps
    • Posted

Thanks four and half months. Age 57. Was active before and getting more frustrated as time goes on. Wanting to see and end to it even though other knee will need doing at some point. Today funnily enough feels a million times better than yesterday! Thanks for taking time to reply.

Caroline

• Posted

it will never work exactly like a normal knee eg: kneeling is a no no .the bend is never the same eg:a new knee will never get that bend that you had before the knee got to the state its in now , complete squat not happening ,but for most less pain is enough but you have to remember its mecanical and its only as good as that but it dose the job or otherwise none of us would be able to return to some sort of normal life
  • Posted

Tkr 10 weeks ago was told by my physio knee most painful joint to have replaced. .but it no worse than pain of arthritis
  • Posted

I've had my left hip replaced and my right knee. There is NO comparison. The hip was a breeze and the knee a nightmare.

Mind you I had minimally invasive hip replacement and NO restrictions on movement right from day 1. These days I don't even remember that it's not my hip in there. The knee might not have been so bad, but it scarred in very quickly and wouldn't bend enough, so I had to go through an MUA. 

I was on pain pills for about 10 days with my hip and mild ones at that. I was on pain pills for 5 months with my knee, and the strongest they could give me, and it still didn't touch the pain.

I had no physical therapy for my hip, but many agaonizing sessions of it for my knee.

Just hoping for you that you are one of the lucky ones who flies through the tkr. There are many who do, but they don't post much on this forum.

• Posted

Hi Maryann.

I have never had a hip replacement but I am now 3 weeks post op for a tkr.

I found that this has been the worst pain that I have endured in all my 58 years. What I will say is you will get through it, here are some things that I have done to make things a bit easier to help me. I bought a bag to go over my shoulder so that when you get home you can put things in it to carry from one room to another. Get yourself a fitness stretchy sling to put under your foot to help you lift it up and down as this is difficult to do at first, that has been a godsend to me. Take all the meds, cos you will need them, drink plenty of fluids, ice, ice and more ice, rest when you can as sleep will be disturbed, exercise and that will be hard, but it does get easier, trust me, tonic water with Quine in, elevate your leg as well, these are the things that has helped me. At three weeks I am not using my crutches indoors, and can manage to get upstairs and downstairs quite fast now compared to when I first got home and two days ago I managed to have a bath which was lovely.

please do not be put off as you need a new knee and we are here to help you through the difficult times, so take care, chin up and best foot forward and good luck with the operation. Gill xx

• Posted

Hi Gill and Maryann

i am also 3 weeks post op and agree with everything Gill says, but it sounds like you're doing better than I am!  I'm not bad but am finding the 3 steps forward and 2 back is so true (and I am just having 2 days back at the moment!).

this forum is a godsend and you find answers for so many questions you will have, and lots of tips and info to help you on this difficult journey.  By the way, I am the biggest wimp in the world and if I can do it, anyone can!

one questionGill, what does tonic water with quinine do?

• Posted

Hi Susan

it helps the leg from being restless and it also reduces the amount of twitching the leg does. The muscles in my leg used to twitch bad and that's when I used to get a jolt of pain so on this forum someone suggested the tonic water with quinne in, I tried it, it did not stop it from twitching totally but it was far less than befor, so I think what  things work for one person, may not work for another, but I was willing to try anything. We all heal differently and some quicker than others, but as long as we all get there in the end that is what is most important. Just think about the race with the tortoise and the hare. So take care my friend and all will be ok in the end. Gill x😊

• Posted

Interestingly I  never had restless leg at all and  by coincidence I drink a lot of tonic water (and pretend it has gin in it!)

• Posted

Thank you for the advice.not sure I can get down the taste of tonic and quinne water!!!!
    • Posted

Hi susan, thank yyou for answering my post.  I am frightened to death about this operation, but I am thankful for the honesty!!!!
    • Posted

Gill thank you for the information and helpful tips for a full recovery.  I will admit reading these posts are a little daunting for me!!!  But I'm thankful for the honesty!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.