I'm so scared with my anxiety and depression I just need help 😞

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I'm 28 and have been suffering with anxiety and depression for about 10 years. The first time it happened it really scared me not knowing what it was and the doctors didn help much either until they noticed it was anxiety and depression. I was put on citalopram and it helped but having to up the dose every couple of years because it kept creeping back.

About a month ago I had a massive breakdown and felt so hopeless. Went back to doctors and they gave me diazepam to calm me down and to switch to a different anti- dep. I'm a week into changing to sertilene and my anxiety has peaked again and I'm struggling. Hardly sleeping and eating. I'm just so scared. Getting side effects with these new tablets and just keep thinking they are not working.....

I can't go out because thinking people will judge me and that I'll have another bad episode and go straight back to square 1...

I just want to feel better and feel like me again. 😔

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 8 of sertilene and still no difference, terrible anxiety and depression. Only had 2 hours sleep and then woke up to a bad panic attack. Really struggling and just don't no how to cope anymore.

Did see doctor yesterday and she said it was just the side effects and they should go. I just want to feel better and hate living like this now

• Posted

Hi glad you saw doctor, side affects are horrible , doctors usually tell you to ride it out and push through these horrible feelings as these meds can take couple of weeks or so to start working properly then you see the benefits. This is reasuring but then when we're on our own with pretty scary side affects we wonder if we should just stop them, think I would give them bit longer, if still not happy discuss your concerns with doc again( I know it's torment just wanting to get correct meds, waiting to see if they start working) l always want an overnight cure or I start getting anxious. Hope u get other replies on people's opinions on what to do and how long it took for correct meds to kick in, hopefully feel better soon and you can start pushing yourself alongside meds, you'll have a more positive outlook when you don't feel as anxious, keep talking, hope start feeling better, ??

• Posted

I feel the same way when I go out so I don't do it. Well not only that I have Agoraphobia and Social Phobia, GAD. It's your Generalized Anxiety Disorder making you feel this way. Tell your Doctor to change your meds if they don't work. My doctor finally gave me benzos and I was happy. >Xanax but i started popping more since they wouldnt work probably the dose was too low. smileThey are fast acting but you can't take them everyday. You build tolerance and they're addictive. Some are on rehab because of it. So its not good for you. Stick with SSRIs. Have you tried Buspirone? I felt alright while on it and it can be used daily. It takes weeks till you notice the effects it's not like Benzos. Don't worry be happy you everything will be alright. Try to ignore the mind. smile They are over exaggerations. Nothing bad will happen. No one will judge you. They "ALL" are focused on themselves. They worry about what others think of them too. You're not alone. Everyone thinks they're being judged.smile

• Posted

I worry a lot and that's my main problem, when I'm alone I'm scared and I just want to be like I was few months ago enjoying life and work. It's really hard to try not to think about it and I'm just hoping these tablets work. Anyone else been going through this with sertilene? The side effects? The waves of anxiety/depression? And how long before I start seeing an improvement?

Sorry for all the questions

• Posted

Hi just replied to belay on here. She is exactly the same as you . On day nine of sertilene , racked with worry and nagative thoughts. Worrying how long they will take to work, hope this helps knowing people having axactly same side effects and worry, your not alone, know this feels awful, hope it passes soon❤️
    • Posted

Meant to say ( just replied to Bekah) sorry keep doing this😳??

• Posted

I want it to pass soon as hours seem like days, days seem like weeks. I just want to be me again. Just doing odd jobs round the house is hard. Just would like the reassurance that it will get better
    • Posted

Hi l know that feeling so well when you just can't settle because you are so worried this won't get better. I wouldn't believe anybody when they said it would. I thought I was worse than anyone else and I wouldn't get through it. I can look back now , it does pass, the obsessive worry and anxiety we have just makes it worse. . You need to keep busy, talk, any dvd's you can watch( know your mind tends to want to drift back to worrying . Believe me I've been there ,I'd go as far as to say I was terrified I'd never feel normal again. You will??

• Posted

How long did it take you and what was you on? Any hints and tips?
    • Posted

I broke down at doctors after years of hiding the fact I was even struggling to get out of house, the racing thoughts never letting up was the worst at that point and the fact I would worry, my heart would race, I would shake, I felt I was the only one like this . Doc saiid it was anxiety( probably also social anxiety) started me on small amount of diazapam to calm me enough to push myself to do stuff, and calm racing thoughts. Doc is very good and watches I never get too many meds so I rely on them( that would be another nightmare). Was referred for cbt,and group therapy, I preferred talking to people who understood this feeling(people who know what it feels like) it really helps, don't feel as alone or scared. Mum pushed me to do stuff , I'd got so used to avoiding things incase I got anxious. Now i hardly take any meds, just if say going out and know I minght get bit anxious ( like on social occasions or if I have had a really bad few days of worry( head racing , minght need to calm a little.) I understand anxiety a bit more now, know it won't kill me , just awful, understand it can flair up even if I'm feeling relatively ok. Try to beat it now and if my heads telling me I'm too anxious to do something I try and do it. I will never get used to the racing thoughts and horrible panicy feeling I can get but at least now I know how bad it can be, that I'm not crazy, I'm not alone??

• Posted

P.s as for how long did it take if you mean side effects u are experiencing now along with anxiety. I tried a couple of other anxiety meds, one had horrid side effects made anxiety seem worse, like you wanted reasurance to persevere with them, took about fortnight to kick in then got better. ❤️
    • Posted

Thank you for that it has helped and put my mind at ease a bit. It's that feeling of being really scared when them thoughts come or a attack comes. And all that comes to my head is "why me".

• Posted

Great you feel a little reasured. People used to say thugs like' time is a great heeler ' and just take it one day at a time'. I used to think yes but that doesn't help me feeling this awful. Looking back it's true though. Stick in there, ??

• Posted

How did you get through like going back to work and getting back out there as I'm worried that I'll struggle at that or will I no when I'll be ready when the tablets start kicking in?

• Posted

I'm lucky I can work from home. But as mds kicked in and I began to feel better in myself it was sujested I did some voluntary work as I was still nervous around people and worried I wasn't pushing myself enough, mum helped me where she worked and gradually got more confident. Don't get me wrong I could still have really anxious days were I felt like saying I can't go in today, that is when I would take a small amount of meds( calm down a little) and go for it, it's the only way. Once I was actually out I was fine and actually took my mind of my head going round and round. It's the actual obsessive thinking ahead all the time that made my anxiety worse. I would still be anxious and maybe shake a little, but it's adrenaline and deep breaths and I would calm down. Takes a while but you will know when you are feeling a bit more positive, then please push yourself, you can do it, I thought I'd never function properly in the real world again. Now i go days without meds , I even get complimented, and told how well I come across, even when I feel like saying ' wow you wouldn't believe the effort that I have to put in. But it's nice not to live in my own head anymore hiding away anxious and depressed, this will all come but for now get through this then work on your confidence, you may still have anxiety but you can learn to live with it. All the people out here are great examples😊??

• Posted

Hi Edwina,

i have read your posting and agree with everything you say.  Unfortunately as i said i dont seem able ro tolerate these meds and i even get nervy having to fo to see cbt therapist who is very nice. I am just getting by with the diazepam which caan be some days none, some days half of one, others a whole one.  When i have dr appt or anything likemthat i need them.  I have made an achievement this week,a first for me formthree years. Gone three hourss in car to family party and coped. Have only seen them if they came to us.   One swallow doesnt make a summer so still having to work on it.

i think we are all similar on this site, trying tomhelp each other, give a bit of confidence etc.  We all know it will come in time, but its the waiting which is so hard.  I think we need to give ourselves a pat on the back when or if we achieve anything.  ITs so hard trying to get through all of this energy sapping, anxious thinking, depression.  I dont think anyone really knows what its like till they have experienced it.  Hope today proves a decent one for you all and better times are coming.

• Posted

Thanks Ann. Glad you go through family event. Like you that is when I would take small amount of med, then push on, but find over time you do take less and less and learn you can push yourself to do stuff and generally I feel good ( as if I've achieved something on my own. Still have some days when I'm more anxious than others but know will pass. Agree with you, when your in the midst of it( like your med worries at moment it feels awful), does get better, just so horrible at time so we don't believe it. We will get there, so glad people talk here too. It's such a lonely illness until we reach out. ( like the' one swallow doesn't make a summer) never heard that before. Soon you'll have more good days than bad. Talk anytime??

• Posted

Today i feel really agitated and depressed and i know we get ups and downs but i feel im not winning this battle. IS this all anxiety related do you think, or is the anxiety a depression by product.  I just need something to help me feel better.  Will try to get out and see a friend if i can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.