I need help.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am a teacher who got caught drinking  last night at prom. I stand to lose everything. I don't know what to do. 

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have no idea what the consequences of this are, being UK based, this is probably one for one of the American based regulars.
    • Posted

I told Leslie...that in the US...it is illegal to "fire" anyone for a problem...drugs or alcohol if they are willing to seek professional help for that problem.  I am still wondering why there was a BAR at a PROM anyway.

​Statistically for the kids that attend a prom it is a known fact that driving accidents are attributed to drinking on prom night!

• Posted

I would say that you should get an appointment as quickly as possible to see somebody about your drink problem. Then you should assure your employer that you are seeking help for this problem. It may mean an involuntary period of sick time while you do but at least confessing will help them understand that you are aware of the issue and are looking to get it resolved.

I am assuming that, although it was only one drink at the prom, you had drunk more prior to that, hence the Principal thinking you were drunk.

I am a little confused why there is a bar serving alcoholic drinks at a prom if the students are too young to drink and the teachers are not allowed to, either.

• Posted

If this prom is in U.K., as many are now... it may have been held in a hotel.  Many pupils/students will be 18.

Teacher's decisions and discretions are another minefield.

• Posted

In the UK, most schools have proms for the 16 year olds who could leave school if they choose to, or stay on into the sixth form. So alcohol is not normally a part of UK school proms (unless they sneak alcohol in, of course).

But this is in the US, where I think the kids are a little older for their prom, although the minimum age for drinking alcohol in the US is 21. That was why I asked smile

• Posted

I see.  My children had the prom at the end of Sixth Year.

I have heard of schools where proms were cancelled because of alcohol problems in previous years. 

Sadly, many under18s drink ... a lot.

Their Teachers have a great deal to contend with.

• Posted

Leslie...after reading what ADE says too...I did let out to work that I had an alcohol problem and it was never the same after that...not that they treated me differently..just that I felt guilty after that for every day I took off...legitmately and not for alcohol.

​Lots of things changed...Good luck today.....I know its soon and you must be getting ready sad

• Posted

Leslie..what happened?
    • Posted

I was asked to resign and released from duties with pay. Just trying to decide what's next. 
    • Posted

No.  I violated the contact policy. They are giving me a decent recommendation and paying out my contract. I'm trying to find someone who uses the Sinclair method here but haven't been successful. Not drinking today but I feel like sh*t. 
    • Posted

seems harsh to me and I am wondering if this is fair if this is a first incident..not trying to misjudge you in any way just very surprised since you are probably a good teacher with a good record?? Union rep?? saw that the reply is being held by the moderator...i wait to hear from you. Robin
    • Posted

That's what I thought, Robin. One drink, not in the presence of the students. The reaction seems to be quite overboard to me.
    • Posted

Welcome to the Bible Belt. Yes, first incident, yes, excellent record. Teachers contracts have a "morality clause" and  it is loosely interpreted legally. My union rep said I could contest the dismissal and then an open forum would be held to look at both sides. Unfortunately an open forum is just that, open to the public, to students, the press, etc. one drink or not, I was on contract duty. The final decision is made by a school board vote in an open forum and you can bet they are not going to be happy about the publicity.  My rep said th y could have chosen a Plan of Improvement, which most large municipal schools would have done. Mine is a small rural school. They could have even been worse and not accepted a resignation, fired me instantly without pay. It goes on o show just how stupid I was thinking no one would see me or care. Since I had already been in the actual room at prom with the kids that day and then was drinking in the bar it was considered "a breach of contract while on duty". 
    • Posted

having an open forum could also mean I lose my state certification. The union rep told me that the teacher looses 99% of the time since it is contracted. I am going with his advice. 

What at does it mean, " held by the moderator"?

• Posted

That the post has been sent for moderation before being released.

The most common reason is that a link has been posted. Secondly some have been picked up as advertising or lastly profanities, but mainly posting links cause it.

• Posted

I'm being very honest here, not trying to sugar coat my actions. Our admin is very cut and dry, straight laced, fundamental religious. I have nothing against that. I knew I had messed up right away. I drink every evening and wanted one so bad and didn't think it through. I am a member at the club where we had prom and it just felt normal to me and my messed up brain. I'm not trying to glorify myself or anything. 
    • Posted

Leslie,

If you google Options Save Lives forum, you will find a forum that is specifically for those using the Sinclair Method.

You don't need to join just to read, but it will help aid a decision based on real people currently using this method.  You will see from their posts that there is often some work to put in and it isn't just a case of taking the pill and drinking, but that people do have much success with this method - some just reduce their drinking, but some also reduce right down to abstinence too.  That is a decision that is entirely up to them, at the time that they need to make it.

Of course, no treatment exists that will help 100% of the people, 100% of the time, but done correctly this medically works for around 80-90% of those who use it.

I wish you well and hope that your current situation resolves itself quickly so that you can move on...

Joanna.

• Posted

I can't seem to find anyone near me that doesn't require inpatient treatment first
    • Posted

The medication you need if you wish to do this treatment is called Naltrexone and has been FDA approved since 1994 to help with alcohol cravings.  It should be available from your doctor, but they may not have heard of the The Sinclair Method as back in the mid 1990s it was approved to help the cravings in those that have already managed to stop drinking.

Google C Three Foundation Find A Physician and you will find some doctors listed who DO prescribe as per The Sinclair Method protocol.  Hopefully one is nearby you.

Unless you need a medical detox first, there is really no need for inpatient care with this method.

If you need to PM me biggrin

• Posted

That should only be the case if you are drinking all the time and would need an alcohol detox to counteract alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Even alcohol detox can be done at home in most cases. I would be suspicious of any clinic which insisted you spent thousands of dollars on inpatient treatment before allowing you to do The Sinclair Method.
    • Posted

Well, I'm sure glad you got a bit of a parachute and a recommendation then. Time to flip into "Lemons into Lemonade" mode.

There's a link on the CThreeFoundation (dot) org website to the "Find A Physician" page. If you don't see anything in your area, shoot me a Private Message as I have a few that haven't been published on the list yet. 

• Posted

Well said, Paul. I'm afraid that down there they think the Sinclair Method has something to do with weight training...
    • Posted

Lovely. Yet people like Mary Lou Bruner who think that our President was a gay prostitute and that no books on the Civil War were written before everyone alive during that time had passed away... they want THAT person to decide what textbooks kids will read. Great Suffering Catfish!
    • Posted

I'm sorry to be " out of the loop". Are you meaning Mr. Obama? regarding your comment.  I seem to be discovering  more and more. 

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Yes indeed. Just google Mary Lou Bruner and you'll see the articles. 
    • Posted

I hope you don't think that I am mad, ADE free.  I was just taken aback at the implications... I think I must be a bit naive for my age and stage.

I will Google M.L.B., later. 

I hope you are doing well,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Any news after the Union Rep meeting?? Still hoping that you will survive this...Robin
    • Posted

Its a done deal. I am just trying to survive right now. Mornings are the worst since I still wake up ready to go to work. Fighting depression. I made a doctors appointment but it isn't until May 5. Just trying to keep really busy and not screw up. Thanks for checked no on me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.