I need help. Alcoholism.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here, however I can be in bit of a denial when it comes to alcohol intake.

I've drank till I've passed out since I was 18yrs old. However I've never had alcohol before my 18th birthday.

I am now 28yrs old, and I drink over 8/9 cans 440ml 6% cider (scrumpy jack) every day.

I want to quit, but trying to quit leads a few things, 1. I cannot sleep so I often go to work the next day tired with no sleep and 2. anxiety, especially feeling my heart pump (cos I can feel that very vividly, and fear that It'll stop and I'll have a heart attack), this mainly stems from the fact my dad died of one. As a result, I get even more anxiety and cant sleep further more. 3. I suffer bad heartburn that ONLY occurs when I dont drink, so I drink to avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best course for cutting down and stopping all together? Be most helpful, thanks.

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good on you for recognizing that you need to do something about your level of drinking. I'd suggest having a discussion with your GP about your heart concerns so that you can be tested and hopefully have your fears allayed and this I'll help the anxiety. Also the heartburn thing, because that doesn't make sense - you'd expect more heartburn when drinking.

It's easy to think that drink helps you sleep, but it isn't real sleep. Try doing something else to make you tired.

Then if after all this you are still drinking heavily you will need to get help with that.

I wish you all the best - it is good to get a grip on it while you are still young.

• Posted

I understand that it doesnt make sense, I've hat heartburn problems now for 7yrs, and the best way to avoidthe heartburn is to drink.

Your body will add more acid everyday to combat the alcohol drank each day, so no drinking = higher acid levles, I'm guessing this is where the heartburn comes from.

• Posted

You sound a bit like me twenty years ago.

The daily amount and the symptoms would lead me to think that you are at least slightly alcohol dependent. When i say that, I mean your body and mind requires it and send you messages, just like your stomach does when it is hungry.

What happens is, when you drink, it slows the brain down, so the brain shifts up a gear to counteract this. However, if you have become dependent, the alcohol wears off, but the brain stays in that upper gear, even though the brake that the alcohol was applying has gone. The net result is that your brain runs at 20 to the dozen. It won't stop or switch off, it is hyperactive and of course you can't go into sleep mode.

Anxiety is another mood/state of mind altered by alcohol. The heart will be a physical sign of the alcohol withdrawal. Alcohol also raises blood pressure.

The heartburn is likely to be acid reflux - Google 'alcohol acid reflux'. The alcohol is probably causing it and masking it at the same time.

Whatever you do, don't try to stop completely without medication, you are unlikely to like the results or be capable of going to work.

You can try to taper it down, say 6 cans for a week, then 4, then 2. The problem with that is, once you have had two cans and get the buzz, the nice feeling, good intentions go out of the window and you drink the usual amount. But, do try it, you may be successful.

If you are unsuccessful, you may have to have a look at taking a detox, which involves taking medication for a week, that suppresses those feelings you get as the alcohol wears off.

You are unlikely to be having a heart attack or in that territory, although alcohol does weaken the heart.

That should be enough for you to go on for today. Digest that first and then you will probably have other questions.

• Posted

i've had acid reflux for 7yrs now, I know its directly related to drinking.

However, I can no longer swallow properly, have had 2 endoscopy tests, docs still dont know why I cant swallow despite "normal" esophagus diagnosis both times.

Other than that, I know you have said try to have less cans, but I'm afraid this doesnt work, as soon as I have one, it ALL goes out the window lol

• Posted

How about you tell the whole story, instead of just parts of it.

Why do you want advice on cutting it down, when you have already tried tapering off.

I'm pretty good at diagnosing and would probably beat some doctors, but I'm not going to try to compete with doctors who have actually examined you first hand, using endoscopy. Why did you not mention this in your first post, along with your knowledge of acid reflux and the fact that you've already tried tapering off.

Have you already tried detox?

As for swallowing problems, I'm sure the doctors have already checked for this, but excessive alcohol consumption can cause dysphagia.

• Posted

Hey...you are the Good Guy...

The clue might be in the name...(O.P.)

Take care... you have had enough sh*t , so to speak.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

You are saying just cos i have "crazy" in the name that I must be mad and insane (crazy)
    • Posted

I was making a point to RHGB, who had had medical information to deal with.  You did not give the full information in your Post (crazy?).

You could think that because I have "angel" in the name, that I have wings(crazy?).

"Pots and kettles calling each other black?".

Get Well Soon,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Oh boy...you are feeling this way when you try to stop because your body is missing the alcohol...the anxiety is the WORST feeling...Actually, drinking in the long run will put more pressure on your heart to work harder and will cause you more problems in the long run.  And especially with your Dad dying so young...heart problems could be hereditary..leading to more danger for you.

​You will definetly have to cut down...first...if you can take a week out of work for vacation that would be a perfect time...If that is not possible...try cutting down over time?  Like if you drink 10 a night...drink 8...for a week...then 7, 6, (will take weeks to get to a point of little withdrawal). 

​Its good you are noticing this so young. I'm glad you found us.  its not easy to stop...I feel for you....and lastly, it s*cks you lost your Dad so young...I'm so sorry for you for that...Keep posting...even if you can't stop right now....you will get alot of support EITHER way.

• Posted

HI there.All is said by others and YES you need help. I often give advice relevant for myself: have your reached rock bottom? It seems to me that you have and you must try since your quality of life is going down and down...check with more doctors about your swallowing problems and also relevant medicnes (probably..) best of luck from Robin
  • Posted

Hey, CiW. There's a medication called Selincro that many are using to cut down, it works well to help you reduce your drinking. You'll probably need to add something for the anxiety and reflux, as you're used to medicating with alchohol for that. If you were to go cold turkey your doc might prescribe some benzodiazepine, but if you went the Selincro route, you need to stay away from using benzos with it. But yes, you can "unwind" the addiction over a number of months. This article describes such a process and the medication involved:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

Selincro can help you knock it down quite a bit without a lot of willpower. You might that as a binger your drinking levels bounce around quite a bit at first, but one of the first things that bingers report about this method is the blackouts go by the wayside, which is a big win right there. 

RHGB uses something called Acamprosate, you have to be abstinent for a bit before you start it, but it kills the craving, seems to get the job done. 

There's a book written by someone on my side of the pond that goes over a number of different medications to help you quit or reduce drinking, not all of them are available in the UK though. The book is mentioned in the last post of this topic:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

It doesn't sound like you would get along with the AA/abstinence route, but if you could, there are certainly no drugs to bother with, so that's a real benefit. If you've tried it and just end up buried deeper each time, best to stop that cycle, hunt down the craving and kill it. It all depends on your circumstances. The info in the first link has a pretty high success rate and the method is designed to erase the cravings so you can choose to drink a bit on occasion or just drop it entirely. 

One of the meds mentioned in the book in the 2nd link is Baclofen, here's a link to a topic by one fellow that tells how he used it:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/alcohol-withdrawal-syndrome-symptoms-506371

Well, there's no "One Size Fits All", but at least there are very workable alternatives to "white knuckling" it, not that I'm putting that down, if you can abstain and stay quit, then that's probably what you should do. If you can't, then there is something out there to help you get to where you want to be.

I use the method in the first link, dropped from about 84 US drinks per week to about 17 in 3 months. I'll continue with it till the cravings are erased and I can have free will about drinking, like other folk. None of these meds will fix an underlying depression/anxiety problem, so once you conquer the drink you'll still have to deal with that, but at least you won't have booze muddying up your efforts. 

So yeah, you can be free of it, CiW. There's certainly something out there that's going to be a good fit for you. 

• Posted

"RHGB uses something called Acamprosate, you have to be abstinent for a bit before you start it, but it kills the craving, seems to get the job done."

i've been single and havent had sex for 8yrs. my deafness prevents me getting girlfriends but thats a different topic entirely so lets not go there.

• Posted

Jesus wept, all you have to do is go to Brean, to the pubs outside the Pontins park in the summer and there is some right old slappers who look like they would do anything for a pint of Thatchers.

Some of them look a bit butch mind, but beggars can't be choosers like.

• Posted

Brean/WsM is about 10 miles as the crow flies from the Thatchers brewery, it is what everybody drinks there.

A pint of Thatchers Gold, well more like eight.

And some salmonella from one of the takeaways, if you will like living dangerously.

• Posted

haha thatchers, yes, the local drink, no never been to brean lesiure park, i cant get a girl to reply to me online, over 800 messages past 7yrs, im not desperate, i message those in the bristol area "hi how are you" "im dave" "hows your college/work going on" - get nothing, what asm i supposed to say for replies??? "hi you want cock pics?" - im not like that. how do i get anyone to talk to me? im deaf yes, so what, im not fu&^%ing stupid. lol.
    • Posted

but like i said, lets not go there.
    • Posted

I'm 47 and married but I know a few women who are divorced ect and on the dating scene.They to are looking for people online which is fair enough and how it seems to be nowadays but how about meeting people in real life,pubs,clubs ect

I'm probably showing my age now

• Posted

due to my life in secondary school AND into college, i have great fear of being in public and talking to people in public due to the way i was treated during those years in said school/college, it has ruined me, i dont have the confidence to talk to a girl at all, none whatsoever! the damage by the bullies has done enough. all because i cant hear properly.
    • Posted

besides, who'd wanna know a shy deaf bloke like me? dont worry about me, get over it, i'll live on lol.
    • Posted

can we shy away from this now? its not "on topic" girls dont reply to me online (dunno why) and i cant talk to girls, lets leave it as that and get back on topic.
    • Posted

Everything I see and read, says to me, women in their 40s (divorced) don't have a good time of it, trying to find a normal bloke second time around.

All the normal decent blokes are off the market, and only the rejects with odd personalities are available. It would seem, that if you are a decent bloke (with good personal hygiene habits), who has become single through no fault of his own, the world is yours as far as single women go.

It's a complete turn around from late teens and twenties when women tend to hold the cards. Just got to have your bunny bloiler alerrt system working well.

• Posted

Yeah, get the drink under control or out of the picture althogether, get your health to where you want it to be, then take a look around and see what you want to do about a relationship, so you don't end up in a co-dependency. It's all going to look different when you've gotten yourself as healthy  as you reasonably can be.
    • Posted

drink has nothing to do with it, i cant get a reply or anything because of two other factors, 1. im deaf and 2. im ugly

i dont even mention drinking.

• Posted

I think you're right and I'm glad I'm not on the market,but if I was single I still think I wouldn't even go in those sites but only because of what I've heard from my friends

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.