I need help. Alcoholism.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here, however I can be in bit of a denial when it comes to alcohol intake.

I've drank till I've passed out since I was 18yrs old. However I've never had alcohol before my 18th birthday.

I am now 28yrs old, and I drink over 8/9 cans 440ml 6% cider (scrumpy jack) every day.

I want to quit, but trying to quit leads a few things, 1. I cannot sleep so I often go to work the next day tired with no sleep and 2. anxiety, especially feeling my heart pump (cos I can feel that very vividly, and fear that It'll stop and I'll have a heart attack), this mainly stems from the fact my dad died of one. As a result, I get even more anxiety and cant sleep further more. 3. I suffer bad heartburn that ONLY occurs when I dont drink, so I drink to avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best course for cutting down and stopping all together? Be most helpful, thanks.

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good Morning, crazyinweston.   I am sorry that I did not come across as all that helpful to you. I was having a bad day.  I had been at the hospital.  I have to go there again today. I have several health problems.

I am taking the Selincro/Nalmefene treatment...Week 7, now.

I see that you have been given information links about it.

I wish you well on your road to recovery.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

hi alon, thats okat, i was pretty p*ssed when i said that, so apologies.
    • Posted

Thank you, C.inW.  I get totally over anxious if I think I have offended anyone.  

I hope you are feeling a bit better.

I have got to go for hospital treatment today, again.  I am sick of being sick !

Take care,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hope you go on ok and let us know how it went.
    • Posted

Hello Vickylou,

Thanks.  It will be ok... pretty routine stuff.  I just get down-hearted at needing treatments.... then, I don't actually get better.

Oh well,  the weather is improving!

I hope you are ok.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I quit drinking in 2002 for 11 years. I put myself in rehab, did AA for about a month and then kept sober by smoking pot.  Not the smartest thing to do!  3 years ago I fell off the wagon because I got too confindent and thought I could social drink.  Right now I'm beating myself up for even starting.  

I too had trouble with heartburn and swallowing food.  Alcohol always took that away until I wasn't drinking.  Look up Gastroparesis.  There is a test that can be done to see if you're food is digesting properly.  Since I'm not drinking it's somewhat better.

My sleeping was terrible.  I definitely know what it's like to go to work tired.  It's awful!  Since I quit I'm sleeping A LOT better.  It's a f'ing blessing!!  My anxiety has been cut in half.

Right now I have 12 days sober.  I seen my family doctor & got medication.  This time I decided to use outpatient therapy (still waiting for an open appointment), AA a few times a week, journaling and church.  Everyone has their own way of quitting.  

Today I'm a bit miserable so I'm going to try a recovery class at a church in my area.  

See your family doctor and get some advice on what would be the best way to quit.  And congrats on realizing you have a problem.  I don't think you're in denial. I think you're pretty damn smart!   Keep me posted on how you're doing & good luck.  Don't give up.  

• Posted

Hi Kelly! What kind of meds did your doc give you for this? Making any headway? 
    • Posted

Amazingly Baclofen which is a muscle relaxant but proven to help with withdrawals and I read up on it before taking it and decided to try it.  It's a lifesaver.  Also, lorazepam for anxiety and a blood pressure pill in case my BP got too high.  I did have to take one.  After day 7 I seemed to be a bit better and tapered down on the pills.  Not completely but enough that I don't get addicted to them as well!. Good luck!
    • Posted

hi Kelly, You are certainly in the area for giving advice to all of us and showing the dangers of starting to drink again when you feel confident....I am only 3 1/2 yrs into sobriety and not not 11 like you but will not be tempted since I KNOW that I will NOT stop even after just one drink....Good advice and also best of luck to you and "Weston" for coping without drinking...soon 1 month for you ...Robin
    • Posted

It's nice to know I can help someone after being sober 11  years and relapsing for 3 years.  I'm only on day 13 and have been beating myself up for starting again.  Yesterday was extremely tough for me.  Forgiving myself is the most difficult thing to do.  I had trouble sleeping last night and had to take a sleeping pill.  I was overly anxious but I got through it! Cravings are there (which I might need to see my doctor about).  But, I believe in God and believe He had a reason for this.  Maybe this time I'll be stronge & not replace one addiction with another & Maybe I was being a dry drunk.  There is a saying "You don't have to drink to be miserable" and that's so true.  Stay busy & do what works for you!  Hope everyone is doing well today!
  • Posted

Hi everyone thanks for all your replies smile

I signed up for AddAction today. Will see someone in about a week discussing the course of action.

• Posted

Quite appropriate, since I doubt your user name is referring to Weston On The Green, Oxfordshire, and more likely Weston super Mare.

WsM, the rehab and addiction centre for the UK and I am not joking.

It's calmed down of recent years, but it used to be home to 11% of the total UK rehab places (that's UK not just England). When I used to go camping at Breen, I was always happy that Breen Down separated the two.

Good luck with Addaction, I have a fair bit of experience with them (as do others) and I am seeing them now, in fact next Thursday I have my meeting with both the prescribing doctor and then my counsellor.

• Posted

Hiya, yeah it is indeed WsM, the UK's dumping ground for addicts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.