I need help. Alcoholism.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here, however I can be in bit of a denial when it comes to alcohol intake.

I've drank till I've passed out since I was 18yrs old. However I've never had alcohol before my 18th birthday.

I am now 28yrs old, and I drink over 8/9 cans 440ml 6% cider (scrumpy jack) every day.

I want to quit, but trying to quit leads a few things, 1. I cannot sleep so I often go to work the next day tired with no sleep and 2. anxiety, especially feeling my heart pump (cos I can feel that very vividly, and fear that It'll stop and I'll have a heart attack), this mainly stems from the fact my dad died of one. As a result, I get even more anxiety and cant sleep further more. 3. I suffer bad heartburn that ONLY occurs when I dont drink, so I drink to avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best course for cutting down and stopping all together? Be most helpful, thanks.

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Slightly unrelated, i'm no doctor, but if after 2 endoscopy tests, and they giving a normal diagnosis both times, what "could" be the cause to my problems swallowing. Would a damaged sphinter of the stomach from years of acid reflux show in these procedures? Or even muscles struggling to "push" the food down?

Someone once said to me, that it was physcological, as i can swallow the first 2/3 bites down with no problem, that the thought creates the food blockage, any truth? Thanks.

• Posted

I also had an endoscopy done.  It did not show gastroparesis.  Only an egg barium test confimed it.  It's a gastric emptying study that sees how your food is digesting.  If only they'd done that test first I would not have had to go through the endoscopy.   Of course I'm not diagnosing you.  Just saying what I went through.
    • Posted

I wouldnt think it is that, as what you are describing happens after the food has entered your stomach, what I'm describing, food hasnt even entered my stomach yet. smile
    • Posted

I know I feel like the food hasn't entered my stomach. It feels stuck before it gets there.  Whatever it is I wish you luck. smile
    • Posted

thanks, ive had it for years now, its really ruining a "family meal out" as it takes me over an hour to eat and they all just sit there, of course i could go early, but i'd feel guilty leaving the food if they paid for it.
    • Posted

Keep researching.  It's a shame sometimes we have to be our own doctors to figure out what the problem is.  There is someone out there who can help you.  Just keep looking!
    • Posted

in the UK we dont have the luxury of just "looking" for another doctor, we are given who we are given, as demand for doctors are too high. tis is the price of a "free" health service, i put in quotes cos it isnt really free, we all pay it in taxes.
    • Posted

I meant keep researching online.  Sometimes WE ourselves have to play doctor to find out what's going on.  smile
    • Posted

hi kelly, i have currently run out of "options" online to find whats wrong with me, hopefully i can get more tests soon that will help smile
  • Posted

I may have "Barrett's islands" if that means anything to anyone, my last endoscopy last week took some biopsies, will know the results in a few weeks time.
    • Posted

Hi

could it be Barrett's asophagus you are referring to? I went through a similar thing to you and went through all sorts of tests, all were negative. However, in the end anxiety was the cause. That explained why I always found it easier to eat whilst drinking, alcohol took away my anxiety for a while.

• Posted

Hi Vicky, it expliticity said "barrett's islands" 3mm across, hence why i have had biopsies from these to make sure. I sure bloody hope it aint barrets lol.
    • Posted

hi Weston. This is getting really technical and realy in minute details!! Learnt a lot already....Robin
    • Posted

Barrtett's Oesophagus and Barret's Island are one and the same thing.

B.E. it affects the lower lining of the oesophagus, B.I. are the lesions caused by it and are the symptoms of the disease.

• Posted

I'd never heard of the island bit until I googled it. Your explanation is much clearer, thanks. Don't know what went wrong with my spelling!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.