I need some advice - PLEASE

Posted , 15 users are following.

I drink way too much, most days a pint of Crown a day.  On a blood test my liver enzymes were up and that scared me alot.  My dad was an acholic and is deceased.  He was never a father and I never wanted anything to do with drinking.  I just kind of started and didn't stop.  I quite for over a month and my liver tested fine then.  I told myself that I could control it if I had alittle, even went to AA for awhile.  But after I had a drink I didn't stop.  NO ONE now knows what I do.  I live alone, I NEVER go to bars and if I happen to be somewhere that people are drinking I wont have a drop and not even tempted too.  I have major sleeping issues and I think it started there cuz it would help me sleep.  Then it took more and more so here I am.  I hate it and wanna stop.  I tapered off before and that was fine but I'm scared!  It seems I'll buy some to taper off again then I drink it all then feel guilty,  I just want to be done with it.  Please don't say to contact a doctor because i won't do that or go to a rehab.  I guess I am in desperate need of encourangement and stories of people that have done it on their own.  I know I can do it again and when I do, I will never start again.  Please someone tell me how you did it.  I have to be able to go to work and be smart about it but then I end up home alone with a bottle that I'm only supposed to use to wean off then I drink it.  It's a everyday battle!  :'(  I pray the Lord will take it away and I don't know now to go cold turkey or wean since the weaning isn't going very well this time.  I am on meds to help me sleep that is typically used for epilepsy although I don't have that so I'm not worried about seizers.  I just need to get through a couple days without drinking and I can do it like I did before.  Thing is when I stopped before I had a past boyfriend I finally called and told everything too.  He helped and I knew I'd have to answer to someone about what I was doing but he's gone now so I thought maybe I could find someone online to be accountable too, pathetic I know!

0 likes, 177 replies

177 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi to everyone. So sorry to read of all your struggles. I am not AUD thank God! I have witnessed my Husband going thru absolute hell over the years. We are waiting for the delivery of Naltrexone and then will ask for counselling with c3 europe. We have approached our local alcohol recovery centre but the counsellor was firmly entrenched in AA and did not want to hear about the Sinclair method. What I am trying to say is that (very ramblingly)that there is another way. I have witnessed my Husband having seizures it is very scary. Please do some research online. There are some excellent interviews about the sinclair method on cloud. It is giving us hope. Please also watch Paul Turners you tube message. Ask him for the link. sorry I am a bit of a technophobe! Thinking of you all xx
    • Posted

JulieAnne, probably just as hard for you to watch as the ones dealing with it themselves.  I have read about that method and it sounds promising!

I hope the meds come soon and he will be on his way to recovery and you both a happy home!  You are good woman to stand by him and support!  I have said a prayer for you and him.  If I didn't have the Lord in my life I don't know how I would go about dealing with this or where my hope would come from.  I've been doing well for 3 days on tapering off.  No withdrawals  smile  I should be finished tapering hopefully tomorrow.  If I can get through Monday with nothing, there is no going back for me.  It's gonna happen this time!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Good luck and God Bless!

• Posted

So glad you are managing to taper off safely. Praying for you too xx My Husband means everything to me. He is a good man xx keep talking to us on here, we are all listening xx
    • Posted

I have been reading your recnet  posts Gretchen   you are doing so so well, bet you  are beginningn now  to feel so much better . I just ... love your determination.

.I think people who can taper off are  amazing. Its something I have never been scuccessful doing inspite of trying... I get a taste of the alcohol and my body and mind is off on one even with my good intention ! But hey we are all different and I am finding my way now

Thank goodness for these forums,we are with you    N x

• Posted

Hi Gretchen, i am also Gretchen and i am glad i found your thread because there is So much amazing advice and i, too, need help. My drinking has recently escalated and i am just starting my abstinence. And..im scared. I moved up to a pint of vodka a night and then to starting earlier on days off. Recently had bad news and binge drank this week with vodka and bourbon (very atypical) for 3 to 4 days and nights. I tapered off today. To a half pint vodka. I am terriifed of what tomorrow and the next 30 days will bring in terms of dangerous withdrawal. I am scared. I don't know if the urgent care doctor will even Rx me benzos to aid my recovery. I feel ok Now as last drink was only 11 hours ago. I will look up the Paul Turner Alcohol video also. I just want you to know i am glad you reached out and i am rooting for your abstinence ?. I absolutely cannot drink anymore. I am turning 49. I can't nd don't want to. I pray my home detox goes safely. My bf knows i am doing this so he is here after work....oh,i had to ask for a leave from work which i have Never done before so...scared. We can do this. We have to. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Gretchen. Please be careful! If you are determined to stop without medical intervention, you are in danger of delerium tremens and a possible seizure. I have witnessed my husband go thru this and he had to be hospitalised. You should be taking Thiamine and a strong b1 compound. You should aim to reduce by 10% a day. I am not a doctor but this is the advice we were given at a hospital. I urge you to seek medical help as your intake is quite high. Keep talking to us as there are lots of people on this great site who will give you invaluable advice. Thinking of you x
    • Posted

Just one more point, DT's will start to kick in 72 hours after you have started to reduce if you are reducing too quickly x

• Posted

Can happen quicker than that. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can start and get severe even before the body is free of alcohol. For example, a person drinking over a bottle of vodka a day can have withdrawal symptoms when there is only half a bottle worth of alcohol in their body. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms normally start WITHIN 72 hours of the body containing the level of alcohol it is accustomed to.

The only safe way is with a medically supported alcohol detox. It is rare that a person can do it by gradual reduction in their drinking. It normally starts to creep back up after a couple of days of reducing. Alcohol detox is not only safer but much easier for people. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get, these days.

• Posted

Thank you Paul for clarifying those points. I do hope you listen to Paul and manage to get some professional help Gretchen x
    • Posted

" Alcohol withdrawal symptoms normally start WITHIN 72 hours of the body containing less than the level of alcohol it is accustomed to."

In my experience, the 72 hours is for possible DTs. Ordinary alcohol withdrawal symptoms in an alcohol dependent person is usually 6 - 8 hours. Hence the need for a livener in the morning.

• Posted

We would normally expect that, if there have been no withdrawal symptoms at all 72 hours after the last drink, then serious problems are unlikely to occur after that.
    • Posted

Yes RH. Hubby cut down so often that in the end even the smallest amounts were causing him problems. I guess this is what kindling is about? He had to have a measured amount every 4 to 6 hours or he was in danger. Am still trying to understand the physiological process of this addiction. It seems to start off pretty innocuously, tapering down, only drinking 3 days a week etc What are your thoughts on this?

Kind Regards

• Posted

It's very difficult to separate the psychological and physiological sides apart.

The physio side is very much to do with the central nervous system, which is controlled by the brain. Alcohol, by affecting the neurological side of the brain, sets off the central nervous system and also the peripheral nervous system. This is what gives you shaking hands, wobbly legs and for some, seizures.

Like all things, alcohol affects people in different ways, but for most, some form of kindling will take place over time. This is just another way alcohol gets its hooks into someone, by making it that little bit harder, each time to give up.

To give an analogy on the physio/psycho connection, I'll use my stroke as an example. When I had it, I lost the use of my legs and most of my right arm. My limbs had suffered no damage, it's not as if anything had been broken, ligaments torn or nerves damaged.

After I left hospital, I had to have months of physio on my right arm, because it would not work. The neuro physio nurse, explained to me that neuro physio and normal physio were very different. If I had broken my arm and it was normal physio, it would just be a case of exercising it to get it back up to speed.

With neuro physio, the arm is not damaged, but the brain is and the brain controls the nerves in your arm. With normal physio you can see what you're dealing with and it is only a matter of time, with neuro physio, you don't know what the damage is and only time will tell you how much better it will get. But it is the brain causing the problem not the muscles.

So basically it is the brain sending electrical signals to the body, which cause all the physiological problems through the central nervous system. This is where benzos come in, they are able to provide the same hit to the brain (not a high) that stops all the physiological problems without the addiction (based on the small amounts needed).

But what most people don't seem to understand, is that just because they have been detoxed, their brain usually needs further medication to reverse the chemical changes that have been done to it over time and willpower alone does not correct that.

"Am still trying to understand the physiological process of this addiction"

Just remember, the brain controls the body, alcohol mucks up the brain, which in turn mucks up the body. That is the simple physiological process.

• Posted

Thank you for that. Yes the chemistry in the brain is the problem which is least understood and obviously because of that, more difficult to treat. Hubby is doing well on Campral so far, no side effects, compliant with doses. I am praying that it will help with his cravings because he has reached the point where he can no longer taper back, his body and mind cannot endure much more.

Over the last 9 years he has tapered back 26 times. I know this because I have faithfully diaried each event. I am still hoping that when his liver has recovered he will be able to use TSM. I know he misses being able to have I drink without it going completely out of hand. He did manage to stay sober for 2 years. He said he convinced himself he was cured and had a drink.....

Thank you for your advice as always. I hope you are ok x

Ps do you know if Campral 'repairs' the brain in some way? x

• Posted

Campral resets rather than repairs. From that point of view of addiction, there is no damage, just a change. Campral helps to reverse that change.

The boring bit:

"Acamprosate works to reduce cravings of alcohol through altering the levels of certain brain chemicals or receptors. When a person has abused alcohol for a long time, changes to the brain chemicals occur. This chemical imbalance needs to be properly restored so that overcoming the addiction to alcohol is possible. Research has shown that an imbalance in GABA and NMDA articular receptors in the brain can lead to alcohol dependency. Treating this imbalance with medication such as Acamprosate works by increasing the natural sedatives such as gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA), while reducing stimulates such as N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)."

Campral is the brand name for acamprosate. It should be taken for a minimum of six months, up to twelve months and is non addictive.

All people who have become addicted to drink, have that big fear (dread) of never ever being able to have a drink again in their whole lives. Basically forever, never to enjoy the fun times again. It is scary.

I'll make another comment later on the last point.

• Posted

Thank you Gwen. I have thought of putting my diaries in a time capsule, what would they make of them say in a 100 years time? Totally amazed at the pain and suffering that was the lot of people with AUD? Or agree that times haven't changed?.....I sincerely hope that the world will have embraced TSM by then.

Bit of a whimsy there. Hope you are ok x

• Posted

Hi Robin Thank you. Me, patience of an Angel? Ha! As I said to Nat, I wasn't always kind to him. But I have learned that understanding and kindness gets better results and makes me feel better too. Just reading a book called Beyond Addiction. It is excellent and is reinforcing for me (have yet to show it to the old man and he will need to read it) that this way of thinking is definately the way forward. I am going to start a new thread, and reccomend this book, as it would seem from what some people with AUD are saying on this forum, is that they need to be better supported at home x Thinking of everyone on this site as always x

• Posted

"Better supported at home" - well there is no chance of that for me JulieAnne, when our bar runs down, the old un refills it!!! WHAT - idiot.  But I am still here to tell the tale.  I tell him it is like he is addicted to chocolate bars (I have a friend who eats 8 bars a day) and the doctor tells him you are diabetic and I fill up the fridge with chocolate bars that he cannot have and it would be torture for him to open the door and see them.  I just would not do it and if I had a sweet tooth (which I dont) and I wanted a bar I would not ever eat it in front of him -  because that, to me, is cruel.  But it still does not sink in - looks like I could do with Beyond Addiction then sit and read extracts to him for his bedtime story when he is in his PJ's holding his Teddy (being sarky there lol!)  I will watch for your thread hun. smile x

• Posted

Hi RHGB I showed your post to my husband re blood test results and liver function. Also, his gp wants him to go for a scan but he is refusing. He says if he has fibrosis in his liver then the answer is not to drink as nothing can be done.

There isn't anything else I can do. Campral seems to be working so am standing back a bit as I am feeling quite stressed.

Thank you for your help and advice

JulieAnne

• Posted

Perhaps this post might change his mind

ive just come back from seeing my friend who has esld (end stage liver disease) and I found it very distressing.. She looked 9 months pregnant, yellow with jaundice and bleeding from her nose and ears. Her husband asked if I would go in with him when he went to see the consultant .

Shes also got hepatic encephalopathy. She thought I was her mother (died 10 years ago). She was very confused and kept scratching and trying to pull her hair out again. She's had all sorts of tests and one of the Drs said they needed more results to confirm Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.

Shes been given thiamine intravenously, which in a lot cases the patient can improve. However in her case they don't expect to see much improvement. The consultant told us that only about 20% of cases are reversible.

She has also got varices which in the esophagus and in her stomach, she had a bleed whilst I was there with blood spewing out of her mouth. If I understood the consultant properly, these are caused by portal hypertension  (RHGB this is your cue to explain all this in laymans terms please!)

A lot of what was being said, I found very confusing and hard to follow, with language problems, but I heard about the liver not being able to get rid of a build up of ammonia.

Obviously I'd heard of cirrhosis, but not the associated complications. I knew about fatty liver, but not that there are various stages of cirrhosis, hers is the worst.

The last thing the consultant said was (my terms not his) basically her liver is knackered, she will need palliative care and the only option likely to succeed is a liver transplant. Obviously there are way way more people than there are donors. Apparently a multi-disciplinary meeting is held and each case is reviewed. Preference, if I've understood this properly, is not necessarily given to the length of time on the waiting list, but who would benefit the most. The example he gave was two men one 18, the other 65. The 18 year old would get priority. I'm not getting into a debate about alcoholics being given a new liver, whilst others won't.

sorry about this rambling post, but quite a few people have asked for updates, so this is the latest.

RHGB if you manage to trawl through this saga, I would welcome your comments

• Posted

OMG Vickylou this is just such an unbelievably sad sad story.Hepatic Enephalopathy is what they used to call 'wet brain' in laymans terms. All theses devastating distressing physical things you mention will have happened over time , poor girl has done unbelievable damage. We all probably all know the tragic damage alcohol causes but to see it written so graphically has got to be a wake up call for anyone..I am not a religious person but god I will say my prayers for your friend .Thinking of you and her poor family having to watch this xx

• Posted

Oh vickylou. The poor poor girl. I just don't know what to say. I sincerely hope that someone can ease her suffering.

I don't believe that he will relate to this, but I will show it to him. When the detox nurse was telling him that she had lost two of her former patients the previous day, he could not look at her. I asked her what had actually caused their death and she said 'seizures' and they were on 30- 40 units a day just like he had been.

He doesn't want to face it. But thank you so very much for trying and again I am so very sorry for the girl her family and yourself. It must have come as a huge shock when there did not appear to be any sign of what was to come.

Thinking of everyone on this site as always

JulieAnne

• Posted

That is just the most horrendous read vicks. I feel sick.  What we MUST all take on board.  You don't think of it like that at all, just getting poorly and feeble but what you have just seen with your friend is heart breaking. sad

Thanks for the post though - it was just what the doctor ordered so to speak.

G.x

• Posted

Hi Nat

People never fail to amaze me!

The consultant asked if either of us had any questions or anything we'd like to ask

Nat I was mortified and totally embarrassed, when her husband said

?"yes, we've got a holiday to the Caribbean booked for the end of April, do you think she'll be well enough to go"

?That was bad enough, but the consultant and I just looked at each other with raised eyebrows when he then added

?"the reaon I'm asking  is because the remaining balance needs to be paid next week! Only I don't want to fork out thousands of pounds, then find out she won't be able to go!

The consultant just stared at him and said, "Mr xx you do realise that your wife won't be here by then, even if she is all we can offer is palliative care"

?It just bought home to me the phrase 'money can't by happiness, it can help, but you can't buy it"

Thanks for asking Nat. Did you have a good weekend, and are you feeling better? I think i was a bit sarcastic on a weird discussion about alcohol tasting funny. Just seemed a bit stupid really, to me anyway.

• Posted

Good grief there really really are no words now..that's is unbelievable what her husband was asking...The guy must have been in complete denial in that unbelievably deteriorating situation.Poor girl poor man too though.

I don't recall any sarcasm Vicks , anyway we can't say the right thing all the time can we .Yes feeling ok and a good weekend.I can't believe I opened a bottle of wine on Friday night and there is still nearly half a bottle left in my fridge.Whats going on lol😰 I wont speak too soon after last week but it seems I am losing the taste or the will for it. I really don't fancy it so it can go off and do one if it likes. .never did I think.i would watch a bottle of wine do that !

Thinking of you all and thanks updating us all on this horrendously chillingly sad situation x

• Posted

Me too Nat not religious but sending prayers to her.  Gx
    • Posted

Reading this JulieA - it is massively sad that hubby is out of control and he must hate it.  This beast (stronger word needed but Mod will not likey) is the devil itself.  He has resigned himself - it is awful that this liquid can do this to us.  My hubs has absolutely no idea of my being on this forum and because I look fine, thinks all is well will my "diddy" - it is - but it all could change if I get some bad news - that is how it rolls. 

Your hubs is not relating because he knows his pull with alcohol sad  and sadly don't we all. 

I cannot salute you enough young lady - you have a responsible and caring job and also are 100% comitted to your fella.  Respect respect respect.  You must feel very down yourself many times and that must not be taken for granted.  I hope you have some girly (or boy) mates you can offload to - coz it is important - if not you will always have the fam here - pretty good crowd I would say and all yours.

Bless you and your hub hunni G xx

• Posted

Thank you Gwen. I just want to keep him safe. I haven't told any of my friends, I am not sure they would understand. Its difficult when it's not my secret altho I am suffering. This site has bought me a lot of comfort.

I am quite down at the moment. I think I will tel docs in the morning, probably get an appointment in 3 weeks time 😞

Thank you again. Stay safe everyone xx

• Posted

I know you are hunni - that is why I posted - just share it all on here if you don't want to tell your mates, keeping it in aint good for the soul babe.  Spill whenever you like.

Bless you xxxx

• Posted

Jaundiced is usually a fairly serious stage of liver problems. Although I would say that I had it and I am still here.

The distended stomach will undoubtedbly be down to ascites. I had 10 litres drained from me, cause by the build up of fluid.

Hepatic encephalopathy - hepatic refers to anything liver related. Encephalopathy is a decline in brain function and in this case, it is caused by the liver not functioning correctly, due to cirrhosis. This is caused by the build up of ammonia in the system, which the liver usually removes, but when this function isn't carried out due to cirrhosis, it can rise to the brain and cause these problems. Without going into details, it is down to the body and digesting proteins and the nitrogens that come from it and then the amonia. Lactulose is often given, which helps the body remove the ammonia and this is something I take everyday.

Oesophageal varices are another sign of the liver not being in a good way and yes you are correct, they are caused by portal hypertension. Which is basically internal high blood pressure. The danger is that these varices (veins) can burst at anytime and you can internally blled to death. I had these as well, and I was test for BP every four hours (including through the night), because sometimes there are no outward signs of them bursting.

There is fatty liver, followed by fibrosis, followed by cirrhosis. Cirrhosis in split into A, B & C and has a score in each category. About halfway down it goes into Child-Pugh and I think there is a link to MELD scores as well.

https://patient.info/doctor/cirrhosis-pro

You have your understanding of liver transplants correct. It is my view that over the last decade or so, the medical profession has become more sympathetic to people needing transplants due to cirrhosis, they generally like to see someone having abstained from alcohol fro 12+ months. An option your friend seems not to have.

I'll come back to the thread later, you will probably have more questions and I might even dig out some of my medical records and put up a scan of some of the pages. Basically, they didn't expect me to survive and I had a brain haemorrhage at the same time. What I am tryiing to say is, never write anyone off.

• Posted

Well said Gwennie, hat off to you lovely Our friend JulieAnne is so so much there for her man but must not forget herself, such a stressful thing to be going through.

It's a good job we can keep our sanity by having our little space on here to escape to and with people who really do understand .It's a very emotional time at the moment on here and it's irony how we are all United in the face of adversity ..if you know what I mean x

• Posted

We are with you lovely and as Gwen says post it on here.You can only bottle up so much..ooops excuse the pun 😑 u you probably need to talk face to face with someone too

I get the sense that you are feeling very scared of pretty much the unknown ...that's not surprising considering what you have witnessed with hubs xx

• Posted

Hi Nat. Am feeling a bit low. Everyone on here is so supportive. I am leaving him alone at the moment because he is getting angry which he very rarely does. Yes he is quite stubborn you were right there.

Hope you are ok. Vickylou's story of her friend is shocking xx I do work with people who have alcohol related dementia but they are not at end stage like this poor girl xx

• Posted

The poor man. Sounds like the whole thing has hit him like a sledgehammer.

Just can't think of anything more to say, vicks xx

• Posted

You have been feeling low for a few days now haven't you JulieAnne Being completely surrounded by alcohol issues both at work and home is really tough for you .Must feel like nowhere to hide sometimes but I think you are doing the right thing by backing off with hubby especially if he is getting angry ..He may come round to the idea if a scan etc if he can work it through his head himself and maybe come to his own conclusion on it.Its hard to say not knowing his personality ..time may help .we are all always here to.listen.

Yes Vickylous story is so so shocking ..xx

• Posted

Yes I have been low for a while. I try to keep positive like most people but now the bubble has burst. Yes I think dropping the subject might help

I don't want to drink tho, my poison is chocolate 😳 xx

• Posted

RHGB 

well now I know why I call you superman!

thank you so much for your detailed and explanatory post. You've not only explained what's going on, but the reasons why all these things are happening. You certainly went through it, and have come out the other side.

I didn't realise you had a 'Brian'  haemorrhage on top of everything else. Your poor wife must have been tearing her hair out.

Yes, you're right again the huge stomach was ascites, which explains why they were going to drain the fluid away.

I thought the dr said lactulose, as I can remember thinking why are they planning on giving her that, surely Imodium would be better, she's certainly not constipated. I have the stains on my new sofa to prove that!

ch

Her legs, and especially her ankles looked like an elephants's feet, so that oedema would be water retention?

Yes, the consultant did say something about child Pugh, but I didn't really understand what he was talking about. 

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but i do think that medical staff should be able speak English. It's quite unusual, in my experience, to get 20/30 minutes with a consultant, but half of the allocated time was spent trying to understand what he was actually saying. It was also difficult to ask him questions as we had to repeat ourselves over and over again.

once again RHGB you've come up trumps, going to have a read before bed and I'm sure I will have more questions.

many thanks agai 

• Posted

The wife was knocked for six, they never really explained anything to her properly and quite frankly, I wasn't the best person at the time either, considering what I was going through and the amount of drugs being pumped into me.

Lactulose is an osmotic laxitive, completely different from the type that will have you running to the loo to pebble dash.

It draws water from the bloodstream and also ammonia from the colon. The upshot is that it makes you regular and there by constantly drawing the ammonia out of your system and smoothes the passage. It might sound a bit gross, but it just means you go regularly and it gets the ammonia out of your system, so it doesn't affect your brain.

Yes, her legs, specifically ankles will be peripheral oedema. Which is caused by liver or heart failure usually. Spironolactone (another one of my daily tablets) is given to help combat this. I forgot to mention on the previous post, carvedilol (another one in my nightly pill pot) is usually given for the oeosphegal varices. And they will of course be IV-ing Librium in copious quantities as well.

Ask the consultant, which grade Child-Pugh, A, B or C and what score.

Then probably see him be quite evasive as you try to pin him down on the details.

In my personal experience, less than half the consultants are British, with the bulk of them being Asian. These days I can ascertain quite quickly whether they are good and know what they are talking about. I have walked out on an appointment with a neuro surgeon before, when his attitude left a lot to be desired.

• Posted

Hiya

another very big thank you!

very briefly as im dashing out

Child-Pugh grade is C

12 litres of fluid drained from stomach

Concern about peritonitis 

possible need for dialysis 

asked to co tact any family who may wish to visit anytime 

will update later when back

thanks again

• Posted

Hi Julie.Anne

I don't know whether poor man is the right sentiment for him, well yes in a way it is.

One of the Drs asked him about any relatives or close friends who may wish to see her. He just said no there wasn't. They have two sons, both at university. I thought it strange they hadn't been to see her, but not really my place to comment. However he's just told me they don't know and he doesn't want them to know either as he doesn't want them to worry them unnecessarily!!

I tried to get him to see reason, but he won't budge. I don't have access to their mobile numbers, but do know which universities they're at.

Im past caring now if people think I'm poking my nose in, her sons have a right to know how critical their mum is.

Ive no alternative, but to contact both universities and leave a message to get them to contact me.

Ive just had a blazing row with my husband, whose told me in no uncertain terms to back off. Yes, visit my friend but leave it there. He was annoyed that I saw and spoke to her consultant. His arguement being she has a husband and two grown up sons and not my place to deal with the Drs looking after her. He can't stand her husband, never has. He thinks he's a total snob, looks down at everyone and uses his money to get what he wants.

Anyway that's besides the point when her sons don't know., I was moaning to one of my sons about his dad, and he said he'd never forgive his dad if I was ill and died without my kids knowing. He said dad's only concerned that you'll get too involved and start using booze to calm down and sleep.

Well I won't, and I will make fxxxxxg sure that won't happen.

Sorry about that rant, am ok now. Any doubts I may have had about contacting them have now gone after the conversion with my son

• Posted

Hi vicks It's good to rant hon.

Reading between the lines, pride may be getting in the way of this man's judgement, especially if he is a snob. Or, maybe he is trying to protect their memories of her? If they are going to university tho, they aren't children are they? How would I feel if my Dad had kept my Mum's illness to himself? I would rage. I would argue that they need to say goodbye, even though their Mum may not recognise them. You may not know what kind of relationship they had with their Mum, but they will never see her again. We are a long time dead.

I can understand your hubby wanting to protect you. I would want to do the same with my hubby. Anything that happens that is not part of the norm. With AUD a red flag goes up, we can't help it.

Yes, I can be a bit of a meddler and have been told so at work. We are coming from a good place tho, aren't we? We have empathy.

Funnily enough, it is always me that is asked to sit with end stage patients and liase with their families xx

Keep well xx

• Posted

Thanks for listening Julie.Anne

youre right they're not children. I've contacted the universities, it's up to them if they contact me or see their mum.

It was after I'd spoken to my son when I phoned. My conscious is clear, I've done all I can do, it's up to them

• Posted

Not conscious! Should be conscience
    • Posted

Yep, grade C is the worst. 12 litres is not an unusual amount.

Peritonitis goes hand in hand with ascites fluid. They will treat her with Tazocin as they did with me, even though I didn't actually have it. It isn't so much having it that is bad, because it is fairly easy to treat, but it is an indication of how unwell the person is if they do have it and their long term prognosis.

Dialysis gets quite complicated with patients who have advanced cirrhosis.

BTW, you were completely right to have the sons informed of the situation.

• Posted

Hiya

i knew I could count on you. Thank you so much for explaining all what's going on.

i see what you mean regarding evasion, saw the consultant again this afternoon. He appeared to be quite surprised when I referred to child-Pugh, and what grade and score!! He did eventually say C, the score he said was  Immaterial. They are having a multi-disciplinery meeting tomorrow morning over dialysis, i suppose they're thinking is there any point?

Your comment regarding informing the son's is the only positive one, along with my son. Couple of friends have pointed out it's not my place, along with my husband and surprisingly my daughter.

However one of them did contact me and they are both driving up tonight. To say they were grateful is an understatement. So thanks for your support

• Posted

My sis died of Peritonitis a couple of years ago.  She was dependent on alcohol and had a bad ulcer.  It burst one morning whilst she was on her own in bed and she phoned her ex hubs to say she did not feel well - he said he would call in on his way home from work and found her gone.

Awful and haunts me she was alone - and the alcohol did it.

• Posted

Hi vicks, I have to say that at first I would think - woah - step back girlfriend - but then in reality, although I do not like confrontation with anyone, I would have done the same and yes, it would have caused mayhem in my house with the hubs who would have said, without a doubt, to mind my own business, well yes I used to years ago, but that worm secrectly turned and, tough.  Well done you, don't get too many of your sort to the pound (as we say here).  Respect. G

• Posted

Yeah, didn't really want to mention that, but the view usually is, there is no point in dialysis when the patient is going to die of complete liver failure.

Please don't take it as 100%, but it would not be good news if they decided not to proceed with dialysis. On the flipside, if they do, then that is a good omen.

I am a great believer in not interfering in other people's business and I think that's where the others are coming from. But when there is a good chance that the mother of (adult) children, may not survivie, then there is no godly reason upon earth that they should not be informed and given the chance to see her. Maybe one last time.

Even if she is connected up to tubes, yellow in colour, not fully cognitive and maybe bloodshot eyes, seeing someone whilst they are alive is tremendously helpful to the greiving process. The decision to see her is theirs and nobody should take that right away from them.

When someone, say your daughter brings it up again, ask her how she would feel if it was you in hospital and her father did not tell her and didn't give her the chance to see you.

What I'm sure you realise is that the husband will not take too well to this, I imagine. He, as next of kin, may try to stop  the doctors telling you anything. Since the wife has probably not been cognitive enough to have been asked for next of kin and permissions, the sons will also be next of kin. If he tries that, see if you can get the sons to add you as next of kin.

• Posted

Vickylou  you have  done absolutley the right hing and whatever the outcome your friend's sons are going to thank you for it also and thats the main thing. Not sure about their father  though  but you have done whats right. .Be good to think your friend could thank you to0 one day too xx 

• Posted

The husband is an absolute control freak, and I'm sure that was one, if not the major factor in her drinking. You're right, the husband certainly didn't want his sons to know and went balistic when I told him what I'd done. I've posted so many things that am muddleing myself up, let alone forum members.

one of the sons did contact me, and they were really really pleased, couldn't thank me enough. Anyway they're driving up from London this evening.

From what's been said, I gather there's not a lot of love lost between father and sons.

the next of kin is an excellent suggestion and will see how things develop.

• Posted

Aaaaw thanks Nat. That is lovely of you to say that. I've had a lot of criticism, even from my daughter. RHGB said ask her if it was me in hospital, dying and dad never told you, that would be ok with you then? She dis have the grace to look a bit sheepish!

No, the father was not at all pleased, but the sons were coming to see their mum

• Posted

Hi Vickylou.  I was so sad to read of your friend's dilemma. You have behaved so well, on her behalf.  A true friend in need.

Her sons seem to have much more sense than their father.

Such situations bring it home to me, just how close we can be to death from alcohol. A big wake-up call.  The liver can only take so much... we don't know our own limit.

Prayers for the lady.

Blessings,

Alonangel

• Posted

Hi vicks. Good idea about the next of kin. Was hoping that the husband would not be so vindictive, as to stop you from seeing your friend at such a time.

Hope you are ok xx

• Posted

Hello Alanangel

Hope you are doing ok x

• Posted

Hi Nat.  I am well.  How are you ?

I have been Alcohol-Free for 37 Days.  Happy to be finished with the poison.  Trying to forgive myself for all the wasted years.

Blessings,

Alonangel

• Posted

Hi angel

i know it's difficult, but try not to dwell on wasted years and the past.

37'days is fantastic, put your energy into staying alcohol free and look forward to many more alcohol free days.

we all have regrets and guilt, but we can't change the past. Guilt and regrets over the past are natural, but your main goal now is to keep going as you are.

very pleased for you. As Robin has just said nearly two months, amazing. So give yourself a treat or a reward, you deserve one.

• Posted

That's wonderful to hear Angel , what a fantastic achievment and you sound so positive Don't beat yourself up for wasted years, look ahead to the wonderful alcohol free times ahead of you .I am doing fine with TSM and alcohol is not figuring much in my life anymore thank goodness !

Happy Days to you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.