I need success stories please!

Posted , 24 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with blepharitis in July and feel as if my life is over. I'm so depressed that it's incurable. What makes it worse is that the opthalmologist acted as if it was no big deal - describing it as dandruff of the eyelids with a simple remedy - baby shampoo.

Here I sit, a month later with the same symptoms. Haven't worn contacts. Haven't worn makeup. And for a 50 year old woman I would love to wear both again.

I did some research on my own and all I found was misery. Chronic cases in which no one ever improved. Symptoms lasting years. I feel as if life as I know it is over. It's affecting my family life as well. My husband doesn't get it. He thinks it's just an eye irritation and I should get on with it.

If I didn't have kids to raise....

Please no more horror stories. I've seen them.

I need to hear of people who live with blepharitis who have occasional flare ups but not constant symptoms.

Please!

3 likes, 148 replies

148 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ive tried to answer you but page keeps crashing. I use grape seed filled microwave heated eye masks bought on line, Johnsons baby shampoo for massage into eyelashes and then Carmellose eye drops. I have to keep to strict routine morning and night else my eye lids get inflamed and irritable. The oil ducts block up and I get yellowish lumps on top eyelid next to lashes. It's taken two and a half years but it's now under control. Am now tackling photosenstitvity with some success. I wear makeup some times for weddings etc. Have got used to not wearing it generally as I'm happy if my eyes appear normal and are comfortable. Weather can affect them, as do lights and allergens. I carry eye wipes all the time to use if my eyes are uncomfortable. It's depressing and demoralising when my eyes kick off but at least I now have an arsenal of treatments with which to tackle it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi again, I also take 6,000 mgs of omega3 fish oil and one Fexofenadine antihistamine tablet a day which has helped a great deal both with my eyes and other things. Google the clinical trial for benefits of omega 3 for Bleph...you might want to try it. There are lots of options For treatment so be hopeful, positive and try to enjoy life as much as you can whilst you are trying to sort out your eyes. X
    • Posted

The clinical trial I found on the internet administered 6000gr per day. Google it for more details. You'll know it's too much if you have diarrhoea, sickness or burping up a fishy tast all day and generally nauseous. I'm fine with it and it's made all the difference to the inflammation of my eyes.

• Posted

Thanks,i probably will increase from 3 to 4 and try i also need to get a better grade of fish oil.
  • Posted

One tip,if your lids srart to itch alot,if possible wash them off right away. Majorly helps control swelling etc. Plain water.
  • Posted

Hi Gavinium,

I was diagnosed with blepharitis last March......I do manuka honey.....have hardly any symptoms...I might be cured....just haven't been to the eye doc.

I wear makeup all day and no flare ups at all.  My theory is if you want to manage this well, you have to think outside the box.  If you go with the doctor's remedies plan to suffer and never wear makeup.  I would be happy to help you do the honey if you are interested. You can private message me.

• Posted

Hi Gavinium......are you in UK?   The treatments people use seem to vary from country to country.   If you are in UK the treatments available and recommended will be different to US.   I am in UK and have had this for about 20 years and have tried most things but now have a regime of care that I can live with.  If you are in UK let us know. 
  • Posted

Here's a positive post. I've enjoyed a fabulous wedding, wearing makeup, poshed up to the nines with my husband, witnessing the marriage of two lovely loving people. I enjoyed good food, lots of drink and got to bed at 3.15. Yep, eye care went awry as it will on other holidays but I get it back together once I return home. I have my Bleph under control. And so will you in time but you have to experience a lot of failures before you succeed. The message is...there is no magic answer for all you just have to keep on trying. Accept that there is no cure but you have to learn about the nature of your own Bleph and just get on with life. All these people posting are trying to be positive and trying to support you at the same time as sorting themselves out.

You can enjoy life again. Those who haven't been able to drive or have lost their jobs have, in time, regained their losses. Sorry this sounds harsh but you have a family and a life to enjoy let that help you through the down times. 

• Posted

Pamela, thank you for your excellent comment. So happy for you, and yo are so right! My mine is under control and life is good. smile Dena l

• Posted

Hi Pamela

when you say you have it under control, do you mean most symptoms are gone and your eyes look normal? what exact routine did you stick with, Im tryn to be positive but I feel theres no end to it....thanks

• Posted

Hi, please see my posts above on routine and daily intake of omega3 and antihistamine. My eyes look normal and are without discomfort. As stated on other posts in this discussion, I carry wet wipes with me all the time so if my eyes feel uncomfortable I can wipe away ant allergens, dust etc. My eyes itch after cooking especially when using the oven. I guess it's irritants held in the steam. A quick wipe cools and settles them. 

Two and and a half years ago my eyes were very bad, blurred vision, stinging, swelling, itching. I looked like a frog lol. After five months of doctors and self medication I went to the drop in clinic at Moorfields and only then did I have a diagnosis. I was so relieved! It's taken a long time but I e slowly learned the nature of each symptom I get so can treat it accordingly whether by a wipe, eye drops or extra heat treatment. Yes it got me down and if I get a flare up I feel miserable but try not to be too snappy with my husband and like to be left alone with my eyes closed and curtains drawn. I'm delighted with my new specs which are helping with light sensitivity. Life is good. Private message  me if you need any help. 

• Posted

I had horrid constant flare ups until I started on my daily cetrazine backed up by daily blephagel, its the only thing that works!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.