I still don't feel the same after smoking weed for the first time. NEED SUPPORT PLEASE

Posted , 165 users are following.

Hello, Im posting here to get some reassurance and support. It has been over a year and a half now since I tried an illigal high (weed) for the first time and suffered a panic attack in which I thought I was going to lose my mind and die, and end up in a mental hospital. The high lasted about 4.5 hours. Nothing felt real and when the high wore off things didn't feel the same as before. I found out about derealization and depersonalization and I think that is what I have been dealing with since. I was diagnosed with GAD and I think I might of had it prior to smoking the pot but not to an extent that it bothered me.

The best way to explain it it just feels like something is off, nothings the same, i feel disconnected in a way. Like i keep trying to compare how i fet before the high (normal) to now but I cant exactly pinpoint what it is.

My vision gets weird and its hard to focus on anything. I see "noise" or static like tiny dots (visual snow) when looking at the night sky and floaters when looking at the blue sky. All things I have never experienced before the high.

At the start of this hell I thought I had died or that I was in hell. (It felt like it and my anxiety was through the roof and i felt nausous and panicky). I was obsessed with thinking i was going insane (schizophrenic) infact I still do get VERY VEEEEERY scared about it. Thinking that i could go mad. I also have light sensetivity wheb i look at something i get an afterimage if it that stays in my vision for a bit.

I feel like i had all my life ahead of me and now i cant live life like before. As if a part of me died. (Im not delusional though i dont think).

What has made it tolerable is being busy with study and work... But when im free all i do is be upset about it and feel miserable. I dont want medication because if the side effects and risks of psychosis/suicide.

I have no energy to do anything at times...

And i think the more time goes by the more i lose hope.

Please PLEASE if you can relate or have advice/support please contact me or reply to me here.

Thank you so much

19 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm not sure if what I'm going through is the same but I did weed the other day twice in two days (for roughly the 3rd time) and my head feels slow, like the speed of everything has gone slow, I cannot feel pain and when people are talking to me nothing feels right. It's like im on an all time high, i wont lie in scared because I have 15 exams in school this year and what if it affects my performance, did any of this happen to you?

• Posted

that normal, dont worry., Youve smoked some potent thc, dominant indica strain. Just dont smoke next time before school exams...

• Posted

Hi mate I'm going threw the exact same thing it happened to me when I was 13-14 years old I'm now 24 years it hasn't gone away but I have noticed when I have a anxiety attack it feels like I'm loosing my head!! Have you gone to see a professional about this ? 

• Posted

duuude, i tried it when i was 15, and it almost passed a year. This is quite horrible, but i still smoke weed, i think im getting used to it. But i still dont suggest you to try it. I may figure this my self and let to know... Psychedelics and our people brain is very powerful...

• Posted

I smoked pot for a full summer when I was 16 I loved it, it was brand new to me. One night I tripped real bad, everything was echoing I was sweaty, sick to my stomach, I couldn’t focus on anything. I was thinking about every wrong thing i’ve ever done (which isn’t much) lol but I thought I was honestly losing my mind and that I was going to die. I stopped smoking it after that, I’m 21 now I recently just smoked it again last weekend and the same thing happened to me again. I blame it on my anxiety I’ve never gotten it checked out. I smoked it Saturday morning and i’m still not 100% but I’m way better than I was lol. I can’t stress anymore possible when I say this but IT DO NOT LAST. When this happens to you just know you will feel better. I didn’t someone to tell me that it would go away within a few hours. It’s so hard to get out of that state when your mind/body won’t let you but just know it don’t last smile 
  • Posted

Its been a year for me and time for me passes very fast as well, what are some tips??????????
  • Posted

How do you feel now? I’m going through the same thing, feeling unbalanced and “different” then I did before.
  • Edited

I went through the same thing bro...its all in our minds im still getting anxiety but what i did is stopped the medication and start to do things which i was affraid of by going to shopping malls and places where huge crowds is it started to give me anxiety at first thoughts was spinning like hell what if i fell or faint or whatsoever try to work in loudness i know it will make u confused and cant concentrate but try ur best and work through the noise...overcome your fears by facing it and tell yourself you are ok and its just anxiety that wants to control you theres no easy fix only you yourself can fix it im coping now vision is becomming better and noor palpitations only numbness in my body coming out of nowhere
  • Edited

Hi everyone, just an update and last post from me so it'll be a long one! smile

It's been almost 4.5years since my bad trip and I definitely still have anxiety and all the other stuff I posted earlier (weird vision, floaters, feeling distant). I've definitely become used to it and still try to live life like normal.

Some days are harder and more uncomfortable than others, some days I make it worse by drinking coffee or getting drunk as **** lol.. but I try to live life as normal as possible. (Again I don't recommend drinking or smoking anything because it will most likely exacerbate everything.. took me 4 years to get the courage to drink again after I developed this lol).

As I mentioned in my previous post you have to trust me that you won't go crazy! (But definitely put that joint down and take a break if you can do safely because the mind is very fragile...hence why you're here in the first place)..

Just know that crazy people don't know they're crazy so if you're here looking to figure out what the hell is going on that's a pretty good sign you're okay! Haha

If you do feel like you're going crazy it's because anxiety is a motherfu*** and will make you feel like you're not in control.

It's a constant battle but overtime you'll own it, just like a few other people on here have commented- you'll overcome fears and things will slowly but surely get easier and more normal.

Having anxiety is not just feeling"nervous, or shy at times" like people post on Facebook/insta etc...

Having anxiety is a constant battle with your mind, a mix of uncomfortable body sensations, stomach crunching fear, confusion etc..

I saw a few (ok a lot) of healthcare professionals who confirm is just anxiety.. in my case I probably had it before the bad trip..made it 100x worse after smoking the devil's lettuce haha. Rip..

Some people are lucky and they just have a few days/months of this bull (and hopefully that's you!)

But for some of us like me unfortunately, it'll be a constant battle with some days being harder than others. It definitely gets better over time and who knows maybe in a few years time it'll keep getting better.

The derealization (which is the bit where you feel like everything is a dream.. detached, spaced out feeling) is a symptom of anxiety and other disorders. If you have no hallucinations (audible/visual) it's most likely just anxiety.

Cannabis can trigger (awaken) pre-existential mental illnesses like anxiety and depression and I think the best thing to do is to go see a professional.. even talking about it (like on here) makes you feel less crazy and not alone.

Last thing I wanted to do is list things that can help you right now. Like right now.

-1) STOP taking substances that affect your cognition (drugs, alcohol even cigarettes). A glass of wine probably won't kill ya but honestly... Why risk making it worse?

-2) If you can't stop smoking weed, cant quit cold turkey and/or have tried in the past but quitting made you feel worse then please see a healthcare professional. They can often provide support/medication to help you come off weed. And it's 100% confidential.

-3) Go see a general doctor (for a general check-up as they suck at mental health stuff) and get your thyroid checked, your bloods checked (check for iron deficiency anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, etc). Deficiencies, imbalances, thyroid problems can mimick the symptoms of anxiety and/or heighten them.

-4) Once you've had a general check-up then go see a mental health professional such as a councellor, a psychologist anyone who has experience and a personality that you can work with. They work for you and should suit your needs, they should listen with respect and kindness. smile if you're lucky you may find a psychologist who was once in the same boat as you but was able to overcome it and guide you in the same direction.

-5) Stick to seeing someone as talking about your symptoms/sensations helps to normalize what you're experiencing.. helping you to overcome it.

-6) Excercise and review your diet (what I'm trying now). Excercising is basically like doing drugs.. but your own body makes them for ya lol (endorphins, dopamine and serotonin) same sht that prescribed medication such as SSRIS help increase/balance. (If you're on prescribed medications don't substitute/stop them unless you've discussed it with your doc).

-7)If you have been prescribed medications to manage this take it as directed but give it time. It usually takes about 2 weeks to start seeing/feeling changes. If you're afraid to take meds like SSRIs then remember that tried you tried weed.. (which had the potential to change your brain chemistry negatively) then why should trying medications that are meant to help be scarier?

(Now this one I'm a bit biased because I'm still too scared to try anything but leaning towards trying it especially for the harder days... Definetly giving myself some advice here lol).

-8) Review your life. Cut out stressful people, environments, situations if you can.. now it's about you..

In my case my energy is very limited now so I don't have time for stressful draining people or events.. You come first now- your health is priority.

9) Write down your sensations, triggers, what makes it better what doesn't to keep ttack

• Posted

Accidentally pressed enter before finishing my post-lol sorry.

10) it'll get better. Remember that smile

Lots of hugs to you all. Good luck on your recovery!

• Posted

My son smoke weed a month ago and dont feel the same as himself

• Posted

And I'm trying to figure out what's going on with him been at the Erie like 5 times

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.