I’ve taken 4 Ciprofloxacin tablets within 4 hours (2 at 23:30 and 2 at 2:30). What should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need help with this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Sam,

I'm interested to know how you managed to take 4 Cipro tablets so close together. You said they were prescribed to you for epididymitis (or similar)? They're probably 500mg each and I guess you were told to take 1 twice a day so what happened? Also, are these the only 4 you've taken or had you already been taking them for a day or two?

Please let us know how you're feeling now. I'm sorry I wasn't able to write when you first posted (I was away and hadn't got access to my Patient password!). Diarrhoea is common so start to take probiotics (such as loads of live yoghurt but preferabley unsweetened or with just a little honey in it). The fluoroquinolones (Cipro is just one of 5 fluoroquinolone antibiotics - or FQs) are hampered by milk products so a good full fat live yoghurt will replace your good bacteria and also help lessen the effects of the Cipro (it says to avoid dairy on the packet!).

The comments here suggest to take supplements such as magnesium and also fruit juices and berries. This is because you need antioxidants to help combat the damage the Cipro is doing and you also need to replace the essential minerals that it's 'stealing' from your cells.

I think it's perfectly normal to feel bad after an overdose of anything and any antibiotic will play havoc with your gut as it will clear all the bugs out both good and bad. Everybody reacts differently to the fluoroquinolones - some can't tolerate even one tablet while other people can take multiple courses with no problems. Most people seem to sit somewhere in the middle and find that their third or fourth course sets off the adverse reactions that you've obviously read about. Remember- this still may not happen to you, your present symptoms might only be from taking four tablets so close together.

It might well mess with your brain and cause you to have insomnia, bad dreams and or panic attacks. If you are affected in this way it's important to try to stay calm as actually panicking will only make things worse. Keep drinking as much water as you can, and rest as much as you can.

If you can tell us exactly what happened and how you're feeling now we may be able to come up with other ideas. The advice to join a social media group was also very good. There are some useful addresses on this thread started by the moderator some time ago -

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Miriam,

I seem to have recovered very well actually.

What had happened was I had taken one Cipro tablet at 23:00 (I have now reviewed the Cipro packet and realised that I had taken 3 and not 4). And then at 2:30, I grabbed my Cipro packet instead of my Paracetamol packet since it was pretty dark in my room at that time (definitely not keeping medication together again). That day was horrible for me, I was reading all sorts of horror stories about my tendons rupturing and all sorts. Then both of my Achilles started aching but I'm not sure if i started imagining it or if it was real. I started really panicing that night and genuinely felt that I was going to die somehow, it was really horrible to be stuck in a mindset like that and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I've felt quite strange over the last couple of days but it's nothing out of the ordinary and I'm not too worried about any after effects until they happen to be honest.

Would you recommend any dietary changes just incase?

• Edited

Yes - but it look like you've had a narrow escape and have learnt a very good lesson about knowing where your meds are and which is which! I guessed you must have mistaken them for paracetamol or similar!

I suggest you take probiotics i.e. the live yoghurt I mentioned as your gut will have taken quite a bashing and you need to get the good flora re-established. Also take anti-oxidants and multi- minerals for a few weeks as a precautionary measure. (There are actually a couple of studies that show taking antioxidants along with fluoroquinolones doesn't affect how they work but does protect you from the side effects. Also taking probiotics along with an antibiotic course - but not within 2 hours either side of the antibiotic - protects you from stomach upset).

I would also suggest avoiding alcohol for a while as your liver will be busy getting rid of the Cipro for maybe 3 weeks and doesn't need any other toxins to deal with at the moment. Avoid sugary food and drinks as well (same reason) and try to concentrate on eating "healthy" stuff.

Definitely avoid Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs and steroids such as prednisolone for as long as possible (a year at least). We know of people who think the fluoroquinolone hasn't harmed them and then they take just one Ibuprofen 6 months later and all the side effects kick off (you couldn't make this up!)

Your problem now will be that the possibility that the infection is still there because you haven't completed your course of Cipro. If you still experience pain down there you might be best to just say to your doc that the Cipro didn't agree with you and you don't want any more (why risk it now you know what the side effects can be like?). There are other antibiotics available (just check you're not given another fluroquinolone with a different name - it will say on the packet leaflet). You could ask for Trimethoprim which the guidelines say should be used if a fluoroquinolone is unsuitable.

Are you - and your doctor - quite certain there is an actual infection (have they done tests and cultures?). A lot of down below pain is actually caused by stress and tension which can be treated by targeted exercises and stress-techniques. Doctors are often more willing to go down the antibiotic route than checking for underlying stress but a urology consultant recently stated that 95% of pelvic pain is NOT caused by infection. Make sure before you go happily taking any more stuff.

Final warning - if you do find you get any aches and pains anywhere, take it very easy and rest as much as possible. Be aware that sudden movements or strains can cause damage without warning so treat your body with caution for a while just in case. I can't specify a time as it will probably never happen but it just might - better to be cautious for a while than to find out the hard way!

I'm sorry you had such a bad night reading all the stuff about it but it's sobering to remember that the bad things you read did actually happen to other people who were only doing what their doctor said. I do personally know of people who had their lives destroyed over night by these antibiotics. Please beware of them in future and warn other people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.