Im baaaaaack!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, sorry to have been MIA for so long. TKR was last Friday, so I'm +5 days.

V quick check in tonight - came home this afternoon, sore, bruised, exhausted, emotional.......but home!

I'll be back in the next few days for a full update, but just wanted to let you know I've done it!

9 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had a little set back, leg and foot swelling but DN said it was expected after this op but  asked me to phone doc just to check but she advised elevating the legs...gosh I hate lying in that position but has to be done,only did it for 30 mins and  leg doesn't feel as tight..but the bruising is coming out to the fore...I am using Arnica cream and this seems to be easing it.

Just given myself and hubby a HA, I had a nap whilst legs elevated, woke up ( never nap during the day) , legs came down and I got up and walked across the room without my crutches!

• Posted

I went to the toilet in the night with both crutches. I woke up in the morning no crutches by bed. I had left them in the toilet and walked back automatically! Was only just after I got home. Now at six weeks last night for the first time I walked really well barefoot on crape for quite a few minutes no limp. Go with the flow sometimes it's in the brain and not the knee. Trusting it and using glutes to walk more than relying on legs helps
    • Posted

Hi Hazel.  When you elevate your legs how high do you get them please?  I put mine on a overstuffed beanbag but legs are still not higher than hips. I sometimes wonder if raising the end of the bed is the way to go but nobody has ever mentioned doing that.  
    • Posted

Hazel, regarding elevating the legs, if mine are swollen, I'm now 14 wks post, such as was the case yesterday, I lie on the couch and put my leg up onto the back. So pretty high, bu nt reall lol, since I'm short just over 5 ft. Ha ha, they say if you can get them higher than your heart.  It works really well. 

So get them as high as you can do it comfortably. 

• Posted

As I have MS wriggling around to get my legs up the back of the sofa could just be too much at this stage of my knee rehabilitation!!  Has anyone tried raising the end of their bed?
    • Posted

I just use a pillow on the arm of the sofa and that seems to work for me.  I have a recliner as well which I REALLY like.
    • Posted

We ordered some lovely - and long overdue - new furniture with recliners but won't be here for a few more weeks yet so cushion on arm of sofa it must be for now!
    • Posted

Sounds good! Hope they arrive soon.  Smemtimes I think this operation must affect the brain!  I found it very hard to stand up from our sofa, which is rather low. . and it wasn't until about the fifth week that I thought of putting a couple of pillows on it to make it higher!  Stupid or what!!!!!  After that it was so much easier to get up!
    • Posted

If it is not a rude question, what is an HA? Googled but still haven't a clue. A hard boiled egg was one of their suggestions but that doesn't sound very exciting LOL
    • Posted

I am absolutely convinced a traumatic highly invasive operation like this affects the brain Martinavelo  because the "senior moments"  happen rather frequently don't they and your experience with the low sofa and cushions is all part of it!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

I had my legs raised on cushions and the arm of the sofa which raised feet higher than my heart. Not very comfortable but it did ease the swelling a little.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.