Im baaaaaack!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, sorry to have been MIA for so long. TKR was last Friday, so I'm +5 days.

V quick check in tonight - came home this afternoon, sore, bruised, exhausted, emotional.......but home!

I'll be back in the next few days for a full update, but just wanted to let you know I've done it!

9 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Frustrated.....Had a few setbacks. My own fault , brain thinks I am OK, body has other ideas. Been doing too much and swelling stopping me from exercising. Also red rash appeared above my ankle and it was hot so had home visit from doctor. Prescribed antibiotics, I have to phone Monday morning to let him know results. Nothing has changed, but IMHO it maybe a reaction to the changed meds from paracetamol to co coda mol or. It could be urticaria which I sometimes have at this time of year.
    • Posted

Hope the results from the doc are good, and that it's just a localised skin thing!  You seem to be doing so well so far!!!
    • Posted

Results were possible cellulitis....only one day of antibiotics to finsh, got the doc on the phone today and he prescribned a stronger one, hubby went to collect the prescription.  Clips out tomorrow. DN will probably advise me re the cellulitis.   I know if its not stopped at this stage its hospital for intreavenious antibiotics.
    • Posted

Oh no . .really?  Oh well, hospital food is pretty awful usually but at least you don't have to get it yourself.  Seriously, hope it doesn't come to that!
  • Posted

Was going to get hubby to buy some herbal sleep remedy then he talked me into asking the doc....I only have meds for to-day and half tomorrow but couldn't get an appointment...one Doc short!   so Doc will ring me and I can explain..then get the prescription from the chemist hopefully this afternoon.

Had a rough night from 10 - 12.30 then had a cup of hot choc..naughty I know (T2 diabetic) but this I feel helped, slept/napped until 3 and again from 3.45 to 5.30,  my friend is still in lots of pain and hasn't slept properly since her op 3 months ago so I think I am doing slightly better as not in any pain, but a deep ache    and the swelling which seems to have gone down this morning but by tonight will be back again.  Grumble, grumble but will get there, just seems impossible at the moment. Cellulitis seems to be improving as well with the stronger antibiotics.

Had two accidents yesterday, dropped a box of eggs!!!!was going to have them poached on toast and then knocked over a full  glass of water on the bedside cabinet, hubby was there and quickly dealt with the spill.   Tried walking a few septs upstairs without crutches yesterday...5 steps then used the crutch and again this morning could manage 4 steps down holding on to the bannister very tightly and again crutches to the rescue.

• Posted

HI, last night was rubbish for me as well, I saw every hour after Midnight, just couldnt get comfortable -  I think Ive been trying to do too much, and only stopping when Im REALLY tired, which is too late as the damage is done! Having said that, the Scones I baked yesterday are yummy....

I constantly seem to be droppin or knocking things over, or I get myself settled comfortably (as much as possible!) then realise Ive left something I need across the room, or even better in a different room! Brain Fog! 

I "can" manage going up the stairs without crutches, but I dont feel confident so Im not abandoning them yet. Going down is a different matter, really struggling :-( My "good" knee is really starting to feel the strain of doing all the work.

And isnt it a nuisance when you cant get in at the Drs - I really hope that they can sort it out on the phone for you. 

• Posted

Managed to speak to a Doc.  He is changing the meds to a less stronger one so I can take it with the Ibruprofen and hopefully won't feel dizzy when I have to get up in the night.   Doesn't agree with herbal remedies as he doesn't know anything about them...so will manage  as I can for another week.  Just been speaking to my friend and told her its not just the two of us who are having sleeping problems its all who have this op so that made her feel better.  She copes by playing solitaire, suduko and a crossword on her kindle before trying to get to sleep and is restless afterwards.    I take my kindle up but only read from it once so might try it again.

I know what you feel about doing to much, your brain tells you you can do it...your body knows better!  Got soup in the slow cooker today.  Will freeze some  as well.

• Posted

A member of another list has done the  NHS choose and Book Scheme,  has anyone else done this, apparently it includes3  hyrdo  and exercise classes?   if I find out any info will pass it on. .....Managed to get 4 x 2 hour sleeps last night. Woke up and had tabs to take, missed one lot as overslept the time so tabs will be out today as took them after 12.... nevermind just sorted them all out for today.   I found I had an ankle when I woke this morning [smile] , so swelling has gone down and am also managing and walking far better with just one crutch. Cellulitis seems to have settled, can only just see where it was. I hope I have turned a corner.
    • Posted

Morning, you sound nice and positive this morning. I havent heard of those classes, but Id been thinking how nice Hydro would be....might be worth me having a scout round the internet....

Isnt it a lovely feeling to wake up and check the time, and find that youve had a god sleep? I had a decent night last night, but I was bone tired from my first full-on Physio session. Knee is very swollen today from the exercise but not really any more painful - Im so lucky, as I was expecting the pain to be terrible.

Sounds like we are both having some successes! xx

• Posted

I'm not really sure if the hydrotherapy helps me, but I'll tell you one thing. . it is very pleasant to get into really warm water, and exercise with the water . .and there's not a great deal of pleasure around with a TKR so if you can find it near you, I would go for it!  I usually overdo it a bit, and pay for it the next day, but it's worth it for the pleasure!
    • Posted

I just enjoy the tub at home!  I keep adding hot water and don't want to get out.  After that icing the knee seems to really do the job.  How is the weather there?  Still rainy?
    • Posted

Thats exactly what I was thinking! I can almost feel the warm soothing water lapping round this ruddy knee! Im definitely going to see if I can find anything near me!
    • Posted

I live in Surrey and I enquired about hydro, it would have cost me first session £70, £50 two more one to ones snd then classes at £12 a time. Thought I would give you done idea.   No leisure centres offered snything.  If you live up north I think you might get something.
    • Posted

Expensive. . . I just go to the pool, and do my own thing. . 23 euros a month.  Of course, it isn't a proper class or anything, but at this stage I think I know more or less what to do.  Lovely hot water, easy to walk in . .One lady comes in a wheelchair.  Usually I have it all to myself at 9 in the morning!
  • Posted

Getting to be a saga.....

Boredom set in yesterday, didn't know what to do with myself...kept walking about the house causing hubby to have fits! but I need the exercise and it strengthens the knee. Managing with one crutch, and even went out last night to visit my dolls house club, my friend was also there who had her knee done 29th Dec... so made everyone laugh at the parked crutches while the project for the evening was done...I brought mine home for another day. This op doesn't help yopu concentrate, I can't even read my kindle for long, I only use the computer when I have to go ustairs but I am finding sitting at the computer a lot easier.

Slept more easy last night, maybe it was going to bed later and taking the tabs at the correct time instead of judggling them around.

BS this morning.7.8 this varies? meds?T2 diabetic

Hubby hung the washing out yesterday and it dried well.

• Posted

We all know the feeling hazel.  I couldn't concentrate either, think it's the pain and your mind is so woolly.  Lack of sleep causes it too.   It does get better, believe me!
    • Posted

I know it gets better this is my second knee op, the left one I had done 7 years ago but funnily enough I don't remember a lot.  I think I was out of it on tramadol and diclephenic?   see...don't remember LOL.

Just taken the last of the anitbiotics for my cellulitis, the mark is still there, very feignt  but no rash, redness or heat. Just hope it stays away! 

• Posted

found the spelling  ' Diclofenac '   can you edit the posts?
    • Posted

Good evening Hazel

I know what you mean about the boredom - I keep doing little jobs which I think I can manage, although I probably shouldnt....

I've tried juggling my meds round a couple of times, but always end up going back to pretty much the basic regime that Ive been following....

Im expecting a bad night tonight, as I had a real heavy session at Physio today. The good news, following on from yesterdays chats, is that I have been put forward for free hydrotherapy! Only once a week, but hey, its what I wanted! 

Still worrying myself silly about my daughter, whos stuck in Hospital with a kidney infection. It turns out she has horrific kidney stones, and they need to get the infection under control before they can operate.....so Im fitting in hospital visits into my daily routine.....bless her she insisted I had a day off today, as she says I need my rest....I cany argue, I feel pretty wiped out.....

But onward and upward, we'll get there in the end...xx

• Posted

You are having a hard time . .nothing worse than the worry about your daughter, just when you need all your energy for your own recuperation!  Hope they can control the infection soon and remove those kidney stones. . .
    • Posted

Good news about the hydro therapy...sorry to hear about your daughter, nothing is worse that you can't do anything for them to take away their pain...but you need rest as well.

Had a readsonable night, must remember to take at least one pain killer with me for the night if I need it...I needed one last night and had none.

Just had some really fantastic news about my  grand daughter, she is 22 next month, has Chrons and has just been accepted for a 3 yr PhD course at Manchester despite her health problems.  She had major surgery just before starting her Uni course 3 years ago.  I am so proud of her.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your daughter. Must be a worrying time and not easy when you're in recovery period yourself . As with most things you will come out the other side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.