Implant & Weight Gain.. Help???

Posted , 55 users are following.

I'm 24 and I am on my second Contraseptive Implant the first implant i had for 3 years never really caused any trouble I was stilll energetic,I manintianed a healthy weight and my mood swings were managebale... until the last few months, i expected this though as the implant was due to be renewed.

So I thought getting the implant for a second time would be a piece of cake (mmmm cake!)....Boy was I wrong!!!!!!

I had my second implant inserted 4 1/2 months ago and since then I have gained 24lb (10.8KG) no matter how much exercise or healthy eating i do the weight will not shift! I am constantly tired, my skin in spotty and dry, My sex drive...pfffft! what sex drive?? my hair is thining, my mood swings are ridiculous and because of this i hate myself.

I find it astonishing that such a small thing can make such an impact on my life.

I have been to the doctors and had a full MOT everything else internally is fine (apart from my weight) so my GP & I have both agreed that it is best that the impant be removed as it's the only possible cause of all of this..

How long will it take to get back to normal & lose weight once the implant is removed?

Has anyone else suffered with these side effects?

Will this weight ever go away (of course i will work hard)?

Am I a crazy chick?

Thanks in advance for any advice xxx

6 likes, 105 replies

105 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was a healthy weight before I had it put in but I have lost weight and not just a small amount either (I am under weight for my age) and no matter what I do I can not gain it back sad

Does anyone think this is because of the implant or is it just me ?

This Is my last year of having the implant in btw

• Posted

sounds terrible ! actually i always worry about this kind of problem .  as a woman it is so hard sometimes ....
  • Posted

I know this reply is late but I write it for all those who searched the net asking "does the implant make you gain weight?" and "will I lose weight when the implant is removed?"

I had my first implant at 16 years old, I was I nice british size 10 (even with a crappy diet) since then ive had thre implants and a child in between and was now sitting at a size 18 (17.6 stone).

I have had my latest implant removed one week ago and can safely say its the best thing ive ever done already only 7days later... my hunger has disappeared, for the first time in years I have mansged one slice of toast for breakfast a d had leftovers at dinnertime.

I seem to have lost the bloated belly/water and my stomach appears flatter...my parter has even noticed everything flattening but needing toning... the numbers on the scales are decreasing and I have lost 3lbs in less than a week.

get it taken out if you think you have gained weight...ignore what people say that it isnt the implant...just you see...best thing you ever can do is to have it removed...im so happy I did.xx

• Posted

Thank You! You have no idea how relieved I feel after reading this. I'm on my second implant now which is due out next month. When I had my first one back in Dec 09 at 15 I was about 9st and a UK size 10, in the first few months my weight crept up to 10st but I was still a size 10 in most places and a 12 in others, over the rest of the 3 years I  stayed between 9 and 10st and a size 10/12. By the end of the first year with this one I went up the 13st and a size 16/18! Now I'm a size 18/20 I've tried everything from joing the gym, slimming world, healthy eating, shakes and pills yet I've lost 2lbs in 2 years. As for the statistics saying the implant doesn't cause weight gain, if that is the case why have I been advised of it being a side effect each time I've had it put in, even advised yesterday by a nurse when I made the appointment to get it removed. Can't wait for it to be out now.
    • Posted

I had my implant removed yesterday and I am so pleased I have come across what you've written. 

I have had the implant in for 2 and gained 2 1/2 stone, I've suffered with depression and lost all confidence and have no sex drive what so ever.

I've been searching online for confirmation that I will start feeling better in myself, preying I will lose weight. I've gained it all on my belly and face and I've been going to the gym 3 times a week. 

You've given me some hope that I will be able to shift this weight, when I told the GP I had gained weight and wanted it removed, he laughed and told me that its likely it is my lifestyle...(not that he has any idea of how I live!) and that it cant possibly be down the implant. 

Fingers crossed I am able to shift this weight! Thank you for your post!!! x

• Posted

Believe me when I say, from what you've said, you will shift the weight in no time! I lost 5lb in 1 week and from little to no exercise I've lost over a stone and gone down 2 dress sizes. My sex drive went from an all time low to an all time high within a month and my mood has improved drastically. Trust me when I say all implant related side effects you've had will go in no time!
    • Posted

Thank you so much smile This has definitely given me some light at the end of the tunnel!!! x
    • Posted

Hi Sam, how long have you now been off the implant and was it Nexplanon that you were on?  Are you feeling much better now?

Have you gone on any other contraceptive?

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Yes it was nexplanon I had and have been off it for about 5 months now and honestly, I've never felt better! I have much more energy and I'm feel so much happier.

I haven't gone onto any other contraception yet, but I will be going on the mini pill (Cerazette) soon.

Hope this helps smile

• Posted

Hey sam. Thanks for replying. Have you lost weight now that you have come off the implant? Thank you
    • Posted

Yes, within the first week I lost 5lb of water weight. Now, I'm almost back to the weight I was before I had the implant (10st 5lb now, so that's just under 3st I've lost) and I haven't done much exercise either, all I have left to do now to get back to it is start the gym to tone up in some places.

Also, while my appetite has decreased, I've been able to have the occasional greasy takeaways without worrying.

• Posted

Wow thats made a big difference then! Thats how I feel like bloated with water retention. The earliest appointment I can get for removal is end of may so I will have to wait until then and then decide to go on something else as I do need to. Let me know if you try anything else and if its any good.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

• Posted

Oh yes, I'm like a whole new person, I am considering going on the pill. I've been advised (by my mum who put a lot of weight on with the combined pill) to get the mini pill and will be going to drs to get it sometime this week.
    • Posted

Thanks Sam. I hope that you get sorted soon.

Take care,

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi,

I am glad to also read this too.  I have put on 2 stone since December 15 when I had the implant fitted and that is alot in 5 months!  I have also had greasy hair, feeling tired alot and spotty skin and at the age of 37 I have never before had problems with spots!  I am at the moment watching what I eat to try and see if I can actually lose some weight whilst being on the implant but if not I will to be coming off it soon!  I might get my bloods done too as I also suffer from feeling cold etc.  Otherwise my mood had been fine and no period which is great, its a shame because I actually like the fact that you can just have it inserted and then forget about it for 3 years!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.