Insomnia After 4 Weeks On Mirt 30mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

Having been on 30mg for 4 weeks now I'm starting to get insomnia. I haven't slept more than a few hopurs in the last 4 days and am beginning to get concerned about this as mirt is supposed to help you sleep. Has anyone else experienced this effect?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 3 on 22.5mg and had a bit of anxiety late afternoon which has passed. No change on the depression front so hopefully my sleep will start to improve. Last night was ok but with the aid of a couple of glasses of wine. Tonight is drycry
    • Posted

Funnily enough, the nights I have a drink or two, I don't sleep very well at all ... just goes to show, we're all different!  Think it differs women/men, my husband can sleep for England after drinking, just not fair cry

• Posted

I'm like your husband Calmer. It doesn't take that much either then I'm away with the fairies. Mrs Staz always complains that I snore when I've had a drink though.
    • Posted

I'm the same I usually can't sleep if I've had a few and my husband is dead to the world!

I was supposed to up my dose to 30mg yesterday if I didn't have any side effects. Based on what people on here are saying about the lower dose being better for insomnia I decided not to until I can see my doctor hopefully Monday. Only managed 2 hours of continuous sleep last night 😕

• Posted

2 hours ouch .... I'm really not sure that Mirt is going to help whilst you're withdrawing from the Sert though ... discuss with doc tomorrow maybe??  And I think you're right to trist youur instincts with regard to upping the dose.

Hope you sort something out with your doc, maybe have to reinstate Sedrt at a similar dose as before as do a slow taper?

x

• Posted

You could try 30mg ssk1. It made my sleep worse but then agian it made Evergreen's better so it works in different ways for different people. You can always cut down again if it has a negative effect.
    • Posted

Hopefully I can see my GP tomorrow as don't think I can continue like this. I'm knackered after a 30 minute walk and cooking a roast tonight - my body feels like I've done a full work out but my head is wide awake. Also im extremely itchy all over with no rash - I know this could be a sign of depression but was wondering if anyone else had experienced?
    • Posted

Managed to get an appointment today! Been given a weeks worth of sleeping pills to see if I can manage to get a better night - last night I managed 3 45 minute sleep sessions. He's also decided to send me for blood tests as I explained about the itching as I could be suffering from anaemia, although he did say it could be stress too. I take iron suppliments every day because of previous issues with iron levels and I recently had surgery and as a result lost a lot of blood. Also checking my thyroid? It was done a year ago but he said due to all my symptoms he'd like to run again. He didn't really seem too concerned that I might be suffering from sert withdrawal and didn't want to restart it.

He's asked me to try the sleeping tablets for 5 nights and if I'm managing to sleep up the mirt to 30mg as it hasn't really had any effect on my mood although it is still too early to tell. 

Hope everyone else is doing well x

• Posted

Day 4 at 22.5mg - No change in my depression at all and no anxiety attacks. I don't think mirt is working on my depresion as I've felt no real difference between 15 or 30mg. I'm still depressed / intrusive thoughts etc but the higher dose stopped me sleeping. My GP has suggested citalopram as the next possible alternative to mirt but I have to wait a week to see him.
    • Posted

Are you having any therapy such as CBT alongside the medication? Up till January I was having alongside taking sertraline and I felt it helped with some of my symptoms especially my darker thoughts. I felt I was in control and was so positive about the future until my whole world was turned upside-down. But I do believe it was helping a lot.
    • Posted

Yep. Just had my third session of CBT. Hopefully it will help.
  • Posted

Hi I take 7.5mg of zlopicone 45mg of mitrizapine 2mg diazipin and I still do not sleep and that's not including what I take during the day 30mg anitriptalyn 100mg lyveroxine and 30mg propranolol
  • Posted

Sunday night I reduced the mirt down from 22.5mg to 15mg and my sleep has improved as has my general mood. I'm now going to stick at this dose for a while and see how things go.
    • Posted

Glad to hear things have improved and I hope it continues on this dose.

I managed to sleep thanks to Zopiclone last night -still woke after 2 hours but managed to go back to sleep so that's a big improvement.

• Posted

That's good to hear ssk1.

I'm hoping the increased sedative effects of mirt at the lower dose allow me to get my sleep pattern back. It appears to have no impact on my depression...as yet.

• Posted

Ironic really Staz, it's not helping the depression, giving you insomnia, all in all not very helpful for you then?  Are you going to continue with it much longer or taper off?  

Unless of course you had insomnia before Mirt maybe??

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

No....not at the higher dose. It does kill the anxiety very effectively but not the depression. I'm on my 3rd night of 15mg and my sleep is improving and my depression is not worsening as yet. That in turn helps my mood as well. I'm sticking at 15mg for a few week until I see the NHS mental health bods wednesday week to see what they have to say. I'm guessing I may end up with another AD alongside the mirt

• Posted

Staz hi, yes Mirt' is very good for anxiety and insomnia at the right dose and it sounds like yo may have found it.  Several nights of good sleep and you may well feel much better, maybe even lift the depression ~ nothing worse than insomnia to bring about depression.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I had a solid 8 hours last night and I'm going to stay with 15mg for a week and hope it has an impact on the depression. Getting a good nights sleep is half the battle when you are depressed. It gives you strength to cope with the days.

• Posted

Not half, thats great news, glad you're all peaceful now smile

I think we can all learn from this, bringing more quiet time into our lives, switching off the devices, dimming the lights, cutting out the drinks/foods that stimulate alcohol (sadly) sugar, curry (for me), gluten for some (am testing this one), and just chilling in an evening all helps.

Long may your good sleep continue yayyyyy smile

• Posted

Fingers crossed biggrin
    • Posted

Thanks SSK. How are you getting on?
    • Posted

Had 2 nights of sleep - still wake up a lot but am getting back to sleep. Ran into my GP in a cafe at lunchtime and he commented that I already look better than I did monday and I certainly feel better. Don't think the mirt has made any impact on my depression or anxiety yet but like you sleeping has had an immediate effect. I'm going to take the sleeping tablets for 2 more nights and then see if I can manage without on friday 
    • Posted

SSK how are you now?  Whats your plan with the Mirt?  Are youu going to continue and hope it kicks in?

Hope youu manage to sleep, now that youve got into a pattern of sleeping with the ST's you may be ok 

x

• Posted

Hi sleep is definitely better- had 2 good nights, 2 OK nights and last night I slept for 8 hours solid and didn't even realise my husband had got up which I think is a first! Plan is to try tonight without sleeping pills as I can lie in the morning if I do end up needing one. Still on 15mg mirtazapine as I'm concerned about going up particularly in terms of weight gain. Sleeping has helped my overall mood and was going to see how I am doing after a month on the mirt before upping. I also restart therapy on Monday- doc managed to get me bumped up the list!

How are you doing? X

• Posted

Good to hear things are going a bit better for you SSK.
    • Posted

That sure sounds better, sleep is KING !!   Can conquer all after a few good nights hey!?  

See how 15mg goes for you, it was very good for me, so glad I didn't need to go up on the dose, I hear a lot of folk suffer at 30mg, few are ok.  Of course 15 mg is better for sleep, more sedating, 30 mg better for depression, but if 15 gives you the sleep maybe no need for 15.  

Hope therapy goes well for you.

I'm doing ok thank you, creeping down/tapering, on about 5.4mg liquid now, feel the need to stay at this dose a while longer, need to settle a bit I think, mood has been up and down ~ although I have read others go through this in wd but not absolutely sure.

Good luck tomorrow, time to spoil yourself, I always think therapy is such a luxury really, the signs and symptoms are an indication and therapy finds the answers.

Best wishes xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.