irritated glans, since December last year, help? pics attached

Posted , 21 users are following.

I have some similar symptoms to jason1327 post here: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/blotchy-red-rash-irritated-skin-on-penile-head-lasted-for-over-3-moths-now--546688

like his, my symptoms also started 1 day after using a condom with a new partner.  glans would get extremely irritated from brushing up against only boxers, but rather the tip it is the top part of the glans.

the skin feels dry and irritated, it is extremely sensitive and painful if played with.

i have seen a few doctors of which none have helped, i have tried so many things, clotrimazole and betamethasone creme, topicort, tacrolimus ointment, A&D, monistat,suragel, man1oil, coconut oil, cetaphil. no significant improvement with any of the above.

I saw a dermatologist, I saw a urologist, and am now considering if I should get a biopsy since that was the only thing they suggested as they had no idea what was going on.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't suggest you using so many different products on your penis like that just wear boxers you can breathe in , try a different soap (dove), and mostuirize it before bed and in the morning 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, the way i worded it may have sounded like i have been lathering it up with 17 different products but this was over the course of many months now, with  different things perscribed from different doctors, and also reading different treatments  over time and trying them out one at a time.

boxers were actually all I ever wore until this condition started and I have since needed to switch to briefs due to chaffing, i also switched a unscented soap and unscented laundry detergent  i dont really know what else I can do at this point to isolate the source of irritation.

• Posted

anyone else have any insight? rolleyes
    • Posted

I think I have something similar, and my plan is to abstain from sexual activity and all topical creams/treatments for a month to see if it gets better. The glans is sensitive like the inside of your nose or mouth. Imagine zapping your mouth with a layer of medicated ointments and creams for several months at a time.
  • Posted

saw a  new derm, she was unsure of what it was, looked normal to her but after explaining my symptoms and past treatments ,she gave me heaps of tetrix (a barrier cream) samples to try for 2 weeks. If this doesn't work next step is biopsy.

• Posted

Thanks for the update.  I didn't post before, as I had no idea what the problem (if any) might be.  Good luck with the Tetrix cream, and please keep us updated.

• Posted

quick update. tetrix cream seems to have no effect. sad
    • Posted

Have you tested for any Std? Even if you used a condom there are some stds that get passed through just skin to skin contact, you should check for hsv 1 and 2 and also syphilis, hpv as well but currently there isn't a test for it. That way you can rule those out.

• Posted

i have had all std tests available multiple times throughout the year, i am negative for all. including the ones u listed except for hpv as there is no test.

my derm doesn't have a clue, she is diagnosing it as genital dysaesthesia. i don't really understand how that is even possible. but I have to say the symptoms do seem to fit. 

• Posted

i forgot to mention since the tetrix I was put on eletone and zonalon as well as a pill of fluzonazole for good measure (i asked for it just in case it was something bacterial.) none of these had any effect on the redness or sensitivity. 
    • Posted

I'd never even heard of that, but like you said, the symptoms do seem to fit.  Hope you can figure out a treatment that helps.  Good luck.

• Posted

thanks, i am hoping to find a second opinion tbh as there is no real solution for this diagnosis.  I was given a months supply of gabapentin, which is supposed to help with the nerve related pain. maybe it will help but this is not a long term solution. 
    • Posted

very similar to mine. Those dark greyish spots, they've come gradually right? Im seeing a dermatologist next week. My primary refused to test me for herpes because i have no lesions. Unbelievable! 

• Posted

I'm not sure when the dark spots came about tbh I can't remember them before but they have been there now for at least a year. What doesn't come through well in the pictures is redness on the top Central area if the glans running from the urethra to the corona, and that area is extremely (overly) sensitive to any contact be it clothing or otherwise. It's obvious to me idk why it isn't too every medical professional I have seen to date.

• Posted

I am glad you ate doing everything you can to get to the bottom of this. There are alot of people with this symptom and the medical professional field has literally no clue. I have scoured the net and found at least 600 ppl that have posted with symptoms like yours and mine, almost exactly. The redness and waxy dry looking skin with small bumps and skin cracks . I am trying to pull us together because this has to be studied, because alot of poor guys have symptoms like this that they cant cure and its the most mind numbing and disempowering and humiliating thing I have ever felt. And i see alot of ppl doing the footwork like you and doctors not taking this seriously. Whats stranger is that I have never heard of a doctor say they have seen this before! makes me think its sonething newly developed, as i think about it now I am curious if something has changed in womens birth control from kaiser or sonewhere specific that is causing this skin disease in us men. Its crazy how chronic this condition is. I have read it could also be from being circumcised. Perhaps this is the main reason puritans started doing this so that we would eventually lose the sensitivity, lookup the people who want foreskin restoration. Its an intresting group of ppl who say they have had these same symptoms and claim it to be attributed to lack of foreskin, and claim it can be healed by re stretching your foreskin. They say it may be keratinization. Feel free to shot me an email. I think we should start a subreddit and try to bring medical awareness to this because this is clearly something new and unseen. I find that almost impossible with 6 billion ppl on this planet and no reference to this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.