Its finally going! - signs of healing

Posted , 64 users are following.

I'm so relieved - I can happily say that my PR is finally clearing up. I've had it for about 8 weeks now. About a week before it started to fade I think it 'peaked' it was intensely itchy and very dry and flaky. A week later the itch had all but gone (except when after a shower) The patches enlarged and flattened and started to fade from the inside of the patch outwards. During this time my skin was very flaky. Within a week the rash had faded down to a tan colour and once the flaking had gone the tan patches were dry looking but flat. The early patches and herald patch have almost completely faded and the patches I got later on are still there but beginning to go.

Its been a horrid 8 weeks but I'm glad that it seems to be going - I'm just praying that its gone for good and will stay away for my wedding next year.

For those of you in the middle of it and feeling miserable - IT WILL GO AWAY! I really felt that i would have it forever but I'm almost normal again now and I'm so relieved! There is hope - hang in there eveyone!

9 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone. I got a cat about 6 weeks ago which i found on the street. The cat is completely fine but within a week of getting her i developed a strange rash on my hand. It was circular (you could just about make it out) and flesh coloured bumps. Skin within the bumps was normal. About a week after that i started getting red spots (different to the flesh coloured large one on my hand) all over my body (arms, legs, stomach and back). None on my hand or feet, lower legs or face. These spots were red and crusted yellow. They were about the size of  a 5 pence piece. I went t the doctor thinking it was ringworm but she said it was pityriasis Rosea. I thought this was a good diagnosis as i thought ringworm would be a nightmare to get ride of with a cat. She gave me anti histamines and a cream to use twice a day. They spots started fading. I went to the doctor a week later and she said it must have been pityriasis rosea as ringworm wouldnt cure itself within a week. However that night i developed new spots on my legs and arms. She refused to take a skin sample. What should i do? Im really worried it is ringworm and that i am spreading it to other people but without a proper analysis i have to trust the doctor. I should mention that the spots have all been extremely itchy. Please help.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

So sorry to hear that you are suffering. I've actually had both!....I caught ringworm off a cat I rescued in Egypt (now lives in the UK with me).....it's very different when you have experienced both. Ringworm spreads very quickly!

With pityriasis rosea you get a mother patch (usually on the torso) ......have a look at some images of the two on Google.

If it's pityriasis rosea ....get on a sunbed asap.....it got rid of mine (which was bad) within a few days.

Ringworm took about 2 weeks with cream to go x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Katie. And i'm really sorry to hear that you've had both :-( I had about 10 spots in total at the beginning and three new ones appeared a few days ago. The problem is that the typical ringworm rash that i see on google is not what i have at all. They're raised red patches (with a yellow pimple in the middle). The rest of the patch is almost flat. They expand in size over the space of about 24 hours and then they dont grow beyond that. I've searched so much on google that im sure that some of the pictures look similar to each other. The dermatologist thought the initial patch i had on my hand was the herald patch but i have to admit that when i first saw it i was convinced it was ringworm. I used lamisil for a week but then saw the dermatologist who told me that if it hadnt started to clear within a week it was unlikely to be ringworm.

• Posted

Omg!!!!! I have never in my life had anything like this I think I may die !!!! It is the most horrible thing IV ever experienced it has actually made me look at things differently really it's that bad but it looks as though it is starting to get better I have suffered greatly with this cried everyday lost over ,25 pounds and I have been physically and mentally and spiritually sick idk how much longer I can take this

• Posted

Hi, how long have u had this for? My 7 year old son has it for about 2 weeks and it just seems to be getting worse, amd nothing is helping at all 😢

• Posted

Hi Angela! How was your PR? I'm 3 weeks right now, I went to 5 Dermatologist and the last just Diagnosed as PR. I can't sleep at night. I can't bear the itchy on my skin. Every night I went to take i cubes to relief the itch. But still I feel in different parts of my body. I'm going to get crazy, my flawless skin become so ugly, some have wound because I scratch. Help me guys... I used Cetaphyl body wash, corticosteroids, suu balm but still it's useless. Help me I'm pregnant right now. Please give me some advice even the Benadryl capsule I don't feel sleepy already because of too much worry. I feel so sad. Help me guys.

• Posted

Head and shoulders shampoo. use it as body wash, let it sit on your skin for about 5 minutes then rinse off. make sure you're using as cold as water in the shower as you can stand as well. It's given me huge relief and I'm starting to heal over now. 

• Posted

Grannies I already did but at night itchy will attack. Really feel itchy at night, more at early morning. I used head and shoulder. Cool water. But until now I still have itchiness on my body.
    • Posted

I know how you feel. I thought I may had some had some disease that is killing me. It is starting to fade away some now. Head and shoulder really help drying it out and making it hill quicker. It make you not even want to meet somebody if you single because of what they may think.
    • Posted

Hi! Are you using the Head&Shoulders as shampoo also? or JUST body wash? There are so many posts about it, but I haven't found any that specified. Thanks!

• Posted

I just hit week 6 and the symptoms have been mild, no real itchiness just spots along my torso that are lightly shaded and a little on my neck. However my herald patch is right on my forehead which is such an uncommon placement which sucks. I tried using special body wash, taking all my vitamins and maintaining a super clean healthy diet. I also work out a lot and drink a lot of water. It's been real difficult to walk around with it or talk to someone cause they're constantly staring at it asking what's wrong with it, so I try to wear a hat as much as possible. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to quicken the PR

• Edited

I am so glad to see your post. I've had this issue for about 5 weeks now and I feel like it's never going to end. People can't understand what it feels like to have this unless they have had it. You give me hope! Thank you

• Edited

Hello,

I was relieved to see these post as I have been suffering for 1 week now with PR. I am feeling really down and worried about the length of time it could take to heal as I am getting married in 4months!

Does the rash and patch leave marks after it heals? Also which fades first the patch or the rash? I am using hydrocortisone cream and taking antihistamines and the itching is manageable for now. The patch is on my back but the rash is all over my body especially the neck.

How long do I wait before going back to the GP I really can't have this on my wedding day!

• Edited

I was diagnosed with this horrible rash 3 weeks ago I have read nearly every single forum on the internet of people having it and have been using everything that people have said that has helped them. Head and shoulders shampoo as body wash, lysine tablets, vitamin c tablets, calamine lotion, cortisone cream. I was covered head to toe in this rash and the itch was enough to send me crazy, and every time I got the tiniest bit stressed I'd have another break out of more spots, so I went to a dermatologist Monday a week ago and I started the UV treatment I went every day for 5 days and went back again today. after just 3 days I noticed a huge improvement I was less itchy the spots started to fade, they have disappeared from my chest and face but can still slightly see them on my lower back and stomach. It might cost a bit more, but it's well worth the price !! I really hope it fades for you quickly!

• Posted

That is horrible! I couldn't imagine having it for that long! I did look into prreze but I could only find international sellers so I doubt it would have made it through customs. I am lucky the UV has helped it's pretty much gone now just has dry skin from where all the spots were. Did you get nauseous with yours too? I'm glad I found these forums as they were more help to me than what the 3 doctors that I went to were.

• Posted

Glad yours is going!!!! My dermatologist was useless. You know whan you have PR you want more than to hear" It won't kill you, it will probably go away after a while"...

• Posted

Poor baby!!! A lot of people here know exactly what you are going through. Glad yours if finally going

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.