Just diagnosed with copd a week ago.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was a pack to pack and half a day smoker , started feeling tired and tightness in my chest. Went to a family Dr and told her my symptoms she listened to my chest and said actually sound clear.. Then commented it's probably copd, we will do a chest X-ray and make sure there are no masses . After reading the X-ray it was confirmed COPD. Im 55 and now worried SICK.. I quit smoking started excersising more . I don't even know the stage I'm in or the other numbers everyone talks about. I want to see a pulmonogist and be evaluated .... I'm just curious if any one else was my age when diagnosed , with same symptoms and how old are you now? Thanks for listening

3 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks to you all again! Your stories are so appreciated! I will let you all know what I find out. smile
  • Posted

What did you use to stop smoking?  I tried nicotine patches but what ended up

working best for me was the plastic thingy that looks a little like a cigarette that

you insert a nicotine cartridge into.  Doesn't taste great but works for me.  Good

for you to stop smoking after all those years.

• Posted

I'm using the patch, but truthfully the word copd scared me way more than not having another cig. It's only been a week today . Haven't told my family because they all tried to get me to quit. I want to say again like a broken record.... This forum has helped me feel better already. Thank god I found it!!!!
    • Posted

You can't beat the old fashioned way ,,,just stop .

thsts what I did ,after being rushed into hospital ( first time ) consultant asked me if I smoked ,,,,yes I said ,,,wrong answer he replied ,,,the ext one will kill you ,,,,,I wrote those words on a piece of paper and kept tem with me ,,,when ever it thought,,,,,well just one ,,,,I would look at those words ,,,,and had a polo mint instead haha ,,,,I've still got that paper thst was 33 years ago ,

my sisters law gave up about the same time as me ,,,,but used the gum ,,,,in fact ,,,she still uses 30 years on ,,,,she still chewing away ,,,,,she just swapped one habit for another ,and I don't think those  e are any better ,,,you've still got the hand to mouth habit  ,since telling people  about my paper ,,,,,I know many people have done it that way ,

either way ,I wish you luck in stopping and good wishes,

• Posted

Well the "thingy" that looks like a small plastic cigarette works for me (wish

I could remember the name of it), so once again - to each their own and

whatever works I guess....  Thanks Nanny.

• Posted

I think you mean the Ecig terri...those are ok but I prefer the vapor unit. I still use some nicotine in it but I've gone from 21mg down to now 6mg. Are you in the States? Vaping is a huge deal here. Alot of people do it with no nicotine...so not to stop smoking but bc they just like it and all the cool little tanks and units you can use. Stores went up everywhere when vaping came out. But for me, it helped me stop cigarettes on the day I was diagnosed after 36 plus years of smoking. I am very thankful bc I don't know if I could've stopped without it. I'll probably stop altogether pretty soon as I go down to 4mg of nicotine...I hope! Lol...I don't know tho bc it really feeds my hand to mouth habit too. That's such a big part of smoking...your hands!! Anyways...just thought I'd mention it bc I like vaping much better than the Ecig. Whatever works I say....!!
    • Posted

Also...my Lung Dr totally approved of vaping. Anything to get off cigarettes! Just FYI
    • Posted

No, it's not an Ecig or a vapor unit.  It's about 3 inches long, white plastic

and you insert a cartridge that has just nicotine in it and inhale it, works for

me.  I'm in Canada, off the west coast of Vancouver living on an island

called Vancouver Island.  Maybe I'll give vaping a try.  Thanks ladyjack.

• Posted

I have stopped smoking after smoking for 50 yr,I have tried lots of times and used everything you can mention ...it is 4 month now since I stopped and I find Nic assist inhalator the best for me, I think it must be the same thing as you use .....but may not suit everybody ,only downside I have put a lot of weight on, because of stopping smoking, and i can't get out just yet to walk it off because of arthritic pain in my legs ,but hopefully ill get there xx 
  • Posted

The plastic thing is a Nicorette product. In the UK you can buy a pack in the chemist or you could ask your GP to prescribe. I was diagnosed a year ago aged 65, given a blue inhaler and told to use it as and when. I haven't felt the need to use it. When I had a recent check up the nurse didn't understand why I wasn't using it so I've started having the odd puff in case it makes a difference. Can anyone advise me whether it is a good thing to use it routinely even without s.o.b. The only time I feel breathless is when I think about it and I know that is just nervousness like with a panic attack. I have only just retired. I belong to a rambling club and regularly walk up to 8 miles.
    • Posted

I forgot to say my spirometer result is 60%.
    • Posted

Hi you should have been given a preventer as well like Symbicort.  This is used twice a day and opens your airways up to help you breathe.   I use my blue reliever as and when I need to eg coughing or feeling short of breath.  I don't think there is a accumulative effect from using it so if you think you don't need it then don't use it but do keep it with you at all times just in case.  x
    • Posted

Thanks, next time I'm at the doctors I shall ask about a Symbicort preventer. What does it prevent?
    • Posted

I am just surprisied that as you have been diagnosed with COPD you were only given a blue reliever.   I thought they didn't give a reliever out on it's own and always gave a preventer as well.   Maybe that is right but I would check it out with your doctor. 

A preventer is used twice a day and it opens your airways so you can breathe easier.  A reliever is used as and when you need to normally.   However if you don't feel you need the inhalers you haven't got to take either.  Just keep an eye on how you feel and if you are getting more short of breath then a preventer would help.   x

• Posted

I suppose different doctors have different views. Could other forum members with moderate (60%) copd let me know if they use a preventer.
    • Posted

Hi my lung function is 78% and I can't breathe properly without my symbicort!  I do know however that it affects different people in different ways and it's how you feel which is most important.  x
    • Posted

My Dr just gave me albuteral (spelling) and said see you in 6 weeks. She told me to use it twice a week , then when I picked up the prescription it said every 4-6 hours 2 puffs. I'm confused and not sure if she will refer me to a pulmonary dr? I want to take the spiro test to know my numbers , or at least know the stage ie mild moderate....?
    • Posted

Hi, I have moderate COPD with 64% lung capacity and I use salbutomol (blue) as a preventer and tiotropium (powder capsules) and fostair as preventative inhalers. After seeing my pulmonary consultant last week he has decided to change my fostair to symbicort. I use preventative inhaler usually first thing in the morning and then throughout the day as and when I need it. Some days I don't need it at all but other days I do.

If anyone knows what the difference is between fostair and symbicort I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Take care PGTips11 xx

• Posted

Hi teresa10735,

I was diagnosed in March this year with FEV1 of 1.23 and 55% lung capacity. With a few months on the medication my FEV1 was 1.42 and 64% lung capacity. 

• Posted

Does your Dr think those numbers are a great improvement for 6 months? It sounds good to me but I don't know a thing about it yet. It's driving me a little nuts not knowing where I stand. I don't understand why she didn't go ahead and tell me she would refer me on and to get the spirometer test done. I want to start right now doing everything I can . I exercised before mostly swimming and now added walking and light weights.
    • Posted

I won't be seeing my GP till Wednesday but the pulminologist was pleased. This is the first spirometry since I was diagnosed in March so the different readings are all down to the inhalers. I said in my message above that I use my preventative inhaler as and when I needed..... sorry that should have been I use my reliever inhaler as and when.

You are doing all the right things with looking after yourself and exercise. I think it's so important that we take responsibility for our condition and do whatever we cn to help ourselves.

Take care x

• Posted

Hey Teresa

Clearly she let you leave without being clear. Call back up there and ask your questions. And tell them you want to be referred to a Pulmonologist. But maybe your insurance doesn't require a referral...you can just go. I don't know what your insurance is but get your questions answered girl!! You pay them for a service and so you should be happy or else go to someone else. Keep me posted !!

Ladyjack51

• Posted

I have called and asked them to please tell my dr I want referred, twice now. I actually called the pulmonologist myself and they said I need a referral. So I'm waiting to see if she does the referral for me. Thanks to all for the advice and your storiessmile
    • Posted

Good Girl! Sounds like you're on the right track and are that much closer to getting your questions answered. It's a learning process Babygirl.
    • Posted

Hi Linda I am on the same as you but was told to use my preventer twice a day as it lasts for 12 hours,  then to use the reliever as and when needed.  x
    • Posted

Hi ,I to was told to use my preventor inhaler morning and night ,and mtpy reliever as needed,,,,it's worked for me for over 25 years ,
    • Posted

Yep that's exactly what I was told Nanny and I do that too.  x
    • Posted

Hi hypercat, I use one preventer (tiotropium) once a day and another preventer (fostair) twice a day and I use my reliever as and when I need it. I think I confused things in an earlier post by saing preventer instead of reliever. Sorry for the confusion xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.