knee clicks walking with one stick

Posted , 11 users are following.

12 days post op walking with one stick indoors but knee clicks when I walk. No pain just clonking noise. I s this normal

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ken, not sure of anyone else, but I have had clicking more than once.  I am 12 weeks po.  My surgeon says it is normal with fluid and swelling.....I can say that I had both at the times I noticed it.  Funny story...first time my hubby noticed the clicking we were walking thru a store..he says what is that noise..is it you?  I laughed and said yes my knee has been clicking for a few days.

pam

• Posted

It's a very common thing because of less fat in knee.  Your muscles and tendons are rubbing over each other which gives that clicking noise.  Give it time and that fat will start building up and you'll lose that snapping sound.
  • Posted

It's the implant clicking, it always will do as it bends.You get used to it and do't notice it after a while.
    • Posted

Hope this is the case with me Suzy. According to the man who did it,its quite normal. If so,I can put up with it. I think some do,some dont.
  • Posted

Ken, I'm just about 8 months out and I still have clicking in my knee. Asked my Dr back at 6 weeks and he said its normal. So I'm not worried.
    • Posted

Hi Mary ann

I too are 8 months post op  and have a good bend and can walk pain free but my knee is still stiff and heavy, feels like there is a bolt through it and the outside nuts - so to speak, and very stiff and tender...do you have anything like this?

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I'm back to pretty much normalcy with my knee. But it still is stiff, numb on the outside with minor intermittent discomfort. I just live with these inconveniences because they are more tolerable than pre knee pain. I'm careful walking down stairs. But aside from that, I'm back to living a normal life. I take ibuprofen for all over arthritis and that's it. My only "therapy" is massaging my knee when it is sore. I feel like I'm the exception as I've not had any issues like many....I'm fortunate. I feel bad for all those who are having problems. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Mary ann!

Thank goodness for that, your symptoms sound just like mine....I have had no major probs just niggles and feel I am the only one still "getting there"!

My surgeon (I am in England) says it will take up to a year and more to feel okay......

I get annoyed when people ask "Is your knee still not right?"...dont think they realise it takes so long...then there are the ones who are skipping, running marathons, kneeling, etc and they are even worse!

Sorry to go on but I am happy that ther is someone out there who feels the same as me

Keep in touch and thanks

• Posted

Elaine, I am thankful every day that I came through this without any issues.  No MUA, lingering pain, etc.  The only comments I've had from others is that they think I'm  doing great.  And I feel the same way.  We've all been told that a year recovery is the norm - for some, maybe more than that.  So you just need to ignore people who question that!  Let them go through it!!

I used to run, take high energy exercise classes, etc., but I've resigned myself to no more running - walking is just fine, (no kneeling) and no class that will put undue strain on my knees - the good and bad - I don't want to go through this surgery again.  I don't have any problems adjusting my lifestyle to what works.  May never get back down on the floor to play with grandkids, but that's ok, we can sit at a table!  

Sounds like you're just where you're supposed to be in this process.  I've found, as I've read many heartbreaking stories, that we're all so different in our recovery and that's ok...whatever works! And our perspective on a healthy lifestyle (had a good friend die from lung cancer 3 months after being diagnosed), so I'm good with my aches and pains.  

Take care and don't worry...do what you can do!

Mary Ann (from the US)

• Posted

Hi Mary Ann

I used to run too, did a slow marathon at 60, now 78 and resigned to power walking when ready - will be a while yet as only 12 says since op. Hope to get some sleep tonight!

Keep on trucking!

• Posted

The numb feeling on the outside will always be there, it doesn't hurt, it's just where a nerve was affected during surgery.
    • Posted

I hope you do too! I don't think I've slept a full night since my first born 39 years ago so I can't blame my knee replacement on that!😀 Keep the faith and you'll be speed walking again.
    • Posted

I figured as much. I think my dr told me the numb area will decrease in size but will probably never go completely away. I'm fine with that. Hmm....all these minor and not so minor issues are never discussed before surgery. Dr or hospital should give the web address of this site to patients as they leave the hospital.
  • Posted

Keep working on your muscles, it will take time but once your strength and tone is back, the muscles having pulled everything back together and the cluncking will stop, like the rest of your rehab, lots of time and patience absolutely necessary
  • Posted

Hi Ken I did more or less what your doing but got told off for using one crutch and told to use them for 5 weeks, Apparently when using one crutch during the early days people tend to walk sideway's and I suspect that the clonking you are get is due to using one crutch, use the two and see if it improves. good luck and get well soon.

Federico

• Posted

The cluncking is due to the muscles being too lax. Once the quads are back to full strength and the tendon has recovered and tightened, everything back in normal position, then the joint will be thoroughly stabilised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.