Laser TURP op

Posted , 12 users are following.

Anyone had a green light laser TURP operation, I had a cystoscopy on Thursday and was told I need a operation, I got in on Tuesday and was told I have to take it easy for 3 weeks and not driving ?  So wanted to find out from anyone who has had it done that can shed some light on it all. 

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are other, less invasive options that would likely work as well as greenlight with almost no risk of permanent problems. Greenlight requires anesthesia and is reasonably safe in the right hands, but there are many people who ended up permanently incontinent, impotent or both from greenlight. Rezum, Urolift, PAE and FLA can work as well with very little risk of a permanent problem. Also, greenlight gives you a 50/50 shot at dry ejaculations (permanently) and the above options no more than a 10% chance. IMO, you should find a doc who offers the less invasive procedures and opt for one of them first.
    • Posted

They usually give you the choice  of having a spinal injection. As I keep repeating to our American friends GL is the NHS choice for patients without P.C with 13,000 a year being done.
  • Posted

You had it done all ready.  I hope you got a second opinion.  That was to fast.  A TURP is the last thing you need  Ken
    • Posted

Kenneth read it again it is GL 'Laser TURP' as many Uro's here call it.

• Posted

Thank you for pointing that out to me.  I just don't wan't him to rush into anything.  It seams like it's to fast.  Have a great day Ken 

• Posted

Please listen to these men Don't rush into anything with out looking into it.  Never take the first thing offered.  There are many procedure that will help you without having a TURP.  Not saying that it has not help very few in the past but please look into something else.  My doctor told me and he tells his other patients that a TURP is the last resort.  I don't think your there yet.  Also sometimes that is when you can have more problems start.  Please put a hold on the TURP for your own good  Ken 

• Posted

I am trying one more time to give you a chance You can still cancel.  Your doctor told you that your prostate was not the problem and small  so what is the rush to cut it out.  You don't say how old you are.  Do you still have a sex life. Well after doing this you may not.  Some men are lucky AND YOU MAY GET BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN. But some are not that lucky.  Sometime it take up to a year to get back anything  You tell your doctor he will tell you no problem  I will give you a pill. Also it may make you impotent  To you also know that a doctor does not really know if the surgery will work until it's done but by then it will be to late.  There are also men on here that have listened to there doctor's but ended up having 2 or 3 procedures because the first does not work.  I don't want that for you.  Please cancel and do some research for your own good.  Take care  Ken   

• Posted

Hi, Don't be sucked in by urologists who often do not tell you all they will do to you until its too late, so do your self a very big favor by making sure you know everything they will do and what that will mean for you also you need to pinpoint the exact particular issue in your case as turp regardless of the laser type can leave you with terrible results and realize turp for one person can be no big deal but for someone else it can be very very regretful, I did a lot of asking and research and realized in my particular case FLA was best for me and is fantastic with less pain than having a filling at the dentist.

• Posted

It is 2:30 over by you in the UK.  You still have a chance to cancel and do more research I never asked have you had any other test done or just the cystoscopy done.  If that is it something is wrong here. Is your prostate the problem or is it the bladder.  If it is the bladder your have your prostate removed for no reason. And you will be causing more problems  Your doctor has told you you will have the catheter for a week.  Did some of the men that had it tell you that sometime you may have to have it for month's because you will not be able to pee..  Plus the danger of many UTI's.  Your being push in a surgery that will change you life why????  But it is your life.  You are the one that will have to deal with the side effects not the doctor.  He will just move on to another.  God help you  Ken

• Posted

Jeez this forum is so negative, just been chatting to guys who had it done in uk and all is good, 

Glad I’m not in USA as sounds like it’s a nightmare having this done. 

• Posted

Our doctor here in the US care To me it seams you are being rush into a surgery.  You have not even looking at anything else.  do what you want.  But may god help you You are taking the doctor word.  He don't know if it will help you.  He can only suggest It.  It is your body is up to you.  You deal with it  Have a good night sleep ..  God help your doctor..  Ken   

• Posted

It can be a nightmare and when it goes wrong it can go terribly wrong. In the right hands, its just a more invasive procedure, with a much longer, messy recovery, risks associated with anesthesia, guarantee of dry ejaculations and without significantly better results. In the wrong hands, you can end up incontinent, impotent or both. It certainly makes sense to try one or more of the less invasive procedures before looking at TURP, which IMO should probably almost never be done in this day and age. Its like opening up a knee to do an ACL replacement or Meniscus repair. it still works, but why deal with a long recovery and all of the other risks when arthroscopy works just as well?
    • Posted

Kenneth, I eagerly waited ten years for something like GL PVP to come on the scene and was one of the first in line to get it done and was my Uro's eighth successful patient. AS Edith Piaf sings 'Non, je ne regrette rien'

Despite your good intentions your comments very often do a disservice to Forum posters..

• Posted

Does no one see that Tony has said he is having GL tomorrow.

Many Uro's say TURP as they regard the procedures to be similar in that they are boring  a hole through the prostate and taking away excess tissue. 

• Posted

Derek.  I know it's a GL the laser is much better but I would feel better if he was given time to get more information and not be so rushed.  It seams odd to me.  You only have a scope and they tell you that you need surgery the next day.  There have been many men that i am still in contact with that have had Plasma turps that it has worked out for them but there doctor gave them some time to get the information and use to the idea of the side effects.  Tony has not.  I do hope all goes well but I don't think he is ready for the whole ordeal.  Take care 

• Posted

I PM'd him to that effect as the Uro told him that his prostate is small so what is the cause of the retention. I know that it can happen as a friend had a small prostate and retention and was having to self cath. GL solved his problem. His was done by the top man in England who was one of the first two to do GL here and 14 years later still prefers it to other procedures. 

• Posted

So Tony has retention.  That was not in his first post. That is something else to consider.  But what is good for one it may not be good for another. I still say it is to fast.  Let's just hope he made the right choice.  It's in Gods hands.  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.