Last how long?

Posted , 8 users are following.

GP was pretty useless just gave me painkillers (codeine and naproxen). These mostly work.

I've been to see a chiropractor who disagnosed certical spondylosis. (C5-C6?)

Had a few treatments and movement seems to be much better and not so much shooting pain. BUT still get pretty bad aching pains in shoulder, upper arm and recently some "pins and needles" in hand.

Its been probably 2 months now. How much longer? :-(

Are there better painkillers? I asked GP for injection but because its neck they cant do.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paul

In June 2016 I too was diagnosed with cervical stenosis C5-6 and C6-7. My main symptom is numbness/pins-and-needles in my forearm and pinky and ring fingers. My diagnosis was confirmed by x-ray, MRI, and a nerve conduction study. Four months of PT did not help. Neither did gabapentin 800 mg three times a day. At 72 I think surgery is very risky and the surgery results posted in this blog are not encouraging. Please let me know if you find anything that works for you.

Bill M.

• Posted

Hi,

I have c/s at levels C4567, also have bone spurs at same levels. My spinal cord is being compressed seriously now because the bone spurs (osteopytes ) are growing inside the spinal canal instead of reinforcing the vertebrae outside.

All upper body strength gone along with legs now very heavy and painful.

Naproxen, gabapentin, amatriptaline and morphine patch just about sorts my pain, but I am a walking zombie some days.

Mike.

• Posted

Problem is Im in the UK. Chance of MRI with NHS at this point is very slim indeed. 

Waiting list is probably 6 months+.

Unless I pay myself.

• Posted

Hard to say Paul but I had symptoms like that and they continued to change for about 1.5 years until I was close to being back to normal. Nerves needing regrow is a slow process indeed. I would try to measure improvement in 3 month increments.
    • Posted

I guess I was thrilled it subsided ever. After the first 3 months, I was expecting it be to permanent.
  • Posted

Hi Paul I regularly have injections in my neck it gives me some short term relieve nothing to write home about though , my pain doctor administers them under X-ray in a theatre . I didn't have to wait long and I see a neurologist almost yearly and have mrl at same time to monitor differences , all on NHS

• Posted

Is that cortisteroid or nerve block(?) ?

Considering this. I guess you're not in the uk?

LONG waiting list in the UK on the NHS. Considering privately - £400-£500. 

Whats the difference between the two types?

Not had MRI or xray yet. Such is the NHS :-(

If I go for the procedure will they be able to see the issue when they do it. Don't want to pay for injection in the area based on best guess from my GP/chiropractor.

• Posted

Well, GP has finally got xray booked. But no MRI.

Been seeing chiropractor for 4-5 weeks now. Can definitely move neck a lot of more but still getting neck/shoulder pain.

Googled the otjher day and saw lung cancer - eeek!!!!! But I've got no other symptoms.

• Posted

Ya be careful when researching causes of symptoms on the internet, they are typically the worst and you can find a sneeze may suggest imenent death.

Since you definitely have neck and spine issues, that really can explain all sorts of symptoms. There's no need to go looking for more. The chances of you having two unrelated problems is very low (as I kept telling myself).

Just have patience and keep a journal. That way you will be able to track progress more empirically.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Yeh I know. Trouble is work in IT/always use google.

Not wise I know. GP asked me all the red flag questions the other day - weightloss, fever, bowel probles, night sweats. None of these - just the neck/shoulder.

• Posted

Weight loss and fever? Is that some of the symtoms? My doctors won't tell me anything, They just say i have to learn to live with it, and they never told me anything else.

• Posted

Ya of course as the doctors ask these things, people (like me) freak out and get anxiousness then I stop eating (weight loss), don't sleep, and start feeling hot (fever).

The most important lesson I learned throughout all of this is nerves can effect a whole lot and how you feel about that happening to you can create yet more symptoms.

• Posted

No I mean these are the symptoms GP asked me if I had IN ADDITION to my neck/shoulder pain. I didn't have any of these.

I guess things like unexpected weight loss, fever etc are indications that there "might" be something more serious.

• Posted

Yes I understood my my point is even if you got those I would still not jump to conclusions since they can possibly be explained by the anxiety associated with these other conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.