lichen sclerosis

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi I have recently been dyagnozed with Lichen Sclerosis, and have been advised to wair only cotton underwear. I'm having trouble finding briefs that don't hurt my crotch. Someone suggested I try the Sloggy brand, and have done this. Although they fit in every other way, when it comes to the crotch area, I find they are very tight, and become very painful! I've even tried a bigger size, but to no avail! Can someone please help?  Sory to be so personal, but i'm at my wits end, and hardly go out because of this.  Thank you in anticipation.  Val.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Where are you? in the UK John Lewis sells white and black cotton knickers. I wear x 2 sizes larger than I would normally - and if they still rub - I go commando! Long skirts tho - no tights or trousers for the duration. Keep the area cool and moisturised- look at the various threads goijng back several months a lot of information is on here Look at Dr Goldsteins webinar Good Luck

Sue

• Posted

Hi  Suedm! I live In Aberdeen Scotland, and will certainly go online to their shop and have a look.  Thanks for the tip about getting 2 sizes larger.  Val.
    • Posted

Hi Valerie..Marks & Spencer have them in packs of 5 for about £5. Be aware they also have white one with Lycra in them they are more expensive. The 100% are the cheap.
  • Posted

Hi Valerie - you will find lots of useful info on this site but you need to look in all the "discussions".  Re. underwear - I have found that the problem is not with the material they are composed of but where the seams are!  I have found that the cheapest, most boring pants are usually those with the least fancy seams and panels.   And avoid lacy panels like the plague. 
    • Posted

True and the threads are kind of itchy like a plastic/vinyl thread. Horrible!

Lace and some kinds of elastic make me itch too. I try to get panties that have the elastic enclosed in the material. Hard to find though. Oh the joys of being a woman!

• Posted

Hi Valerie,  Poor you.  I have had this trouble at times and when this occurs I wear what I call old ladies knickers.  They have a slight leg in them and are made of cotton with small holely pattern to the material a bit like thermal wear.  I find them wonderfully comfortable if not at all pretty.  I dread an accident and the embarrassment if I was seen in them.  Still I am sorry but I have had them for years and purchased them in Debenhams underwear department many years ago.  I am sure you could find something similar on line.  I would search ladies panties with legs.  If you find any I am sure that others on this site would be interested.  I find them so comfortable as they are not tight around the crotch at all.  I also use incontinance pads to protect me from seams when I am wearing normal panties which have the benefit that I can change them frequently to keep the area clean and protect my panties from the creams and potions.  Good luck.  I hope you can find something to help you.
    • Posted

By the way I think Sloggies have 5% elastine in them which I would think would irritate me.  Always make sure that the panties you buy have a wide crotch.  Some of the cheaper makes have thinner crotches which mean the seams catch you and rub.
    • Posted

Just read your comment and am going online to see if I can find some.  Thanks Chrisy.   I use coconut oil, which is pretty greasy so have to use pads.   It is a mystery to me how many women on this forum can go without panties altogether!  Anyway, I am now going to find some "old ladies knickers"!!.
    • Posted

Hi Wendy. I posted last week a suggestion of buying the shorts instead of traditional pants. I find they don't ride up and are far more comfortable than the others. Primark and Tesco sell them. I buy a larger size for even more comfort. Wouldn't go back to other style now.
    • Posted

Hi Chrisy,

I just want to thank you for suggesting old ladies knickers!!  I went to Debenhams this morning and searched everywhere for the pants you mentioned but without success.  I came home and went online and have ordered some German ones with short legs, which might be a little tighter than needed, but I am probably too heavy-handed with the coconut oil and it goes all over the place.  I love Emu oil and use it when I'm at home, but otherwise I take coconut oil everywhere with me.   If you ever see your "old ladies knickers" again, please let me know, as I have searched everywhere.   I believe in the old days you could buy them at markets, but they are not so popular these days!!  More's the pity!  Thank you once again, as you have really helped me.

Wendy

• Posted

What about a different cut of underwear, like boy shorts? Those can be attractive (though I know that's probably not the first concern), yet fit a bit differently and are less tight!
  • Posted

Any sewers out there? I had a bolt of nice soft cotton jersey and made a dozen copies of my most comfortable pair. I have had no irritation along my panty lines in over a year. The legs are just folded and zigzagged over clear strechy silicon tape. There's a nice waistband elastic that fits over the edge so a single straight stretch seam encloses the top in a scalloped edge band.
    • Posted

You are a marvel, Morrell!   I can just about sew a button on and that's as far as it goes!   You are on a pedestal as far as I am concerned!
    • Posted

Oh, well, each of us has her strengths. Needlework keeps me calm. Helps the LS.
  • Posted

I understand that tenner lady make full cotton disposable pants you could try those and if they work for you try getting your GP to perscribe them .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.