looking for help please

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just registered for this site bc I am completely overwhelmed & dont know what to do. My BF is an alcoholic when I met him a year and a half ago I had no idea ... Thru A LOT  of love time and support I got him to a three month excellent rehab out of state dualDiagnostic etc he did amazingly well only to start drinking horribly again after all the education that cost him tens of thousands of dollars the fourth month before he came home ... He finally came home through my help and was detoxed at home  he was again off alcohol for a month only to start again a month later ... It has not stopped . I am SICK worried don't know what to do his family has turned their back on him - I can't let him stay with me cuz I've tried I've have done it before  but I worry I won't know what to do when he starts shaking or gets sick ... I love him goes without saying and have and will do ANYTHING to help. But he can't stay with me. spo the last time he was detoxed about a month ago i took hinm to a hotel -  I Am worried sick cuz in the last two weeks since i have seen him -  he has said I'm selfish cuz he's spending so much money on hotels and although I know I'm the farthest thing from selfish I can understand why he feels this way but i have tried the scenario of his living with me and he just continues on the same destructive path -he needs professional help   . The last time I saw him was two weeks ago now from us being together pratically every day, nornign and night - this is heartbreaking.  I keep hearing the same thing from him that I'm selfish that I'll die alone cuz I'm selfish calling me everything you can imagine ... I never say anything mean back only lift him up with positives and every day try to suggest to him that we go to yet another detox then Rehab ...  he said he wanted to see me in the last couple of weeks  but he was drinking and I just couldn't do it for my sanity so I told him I was working which was true ... Now in the past day and a half he's gone from  text maybe 3 a day (from being together all the time )   and now nasty vile vulgar texts to me and about me two days ago  ... It is a complete switch so I don't know where he is for the first time since ive known him - he has sent me videos of himslef and he looks horrible pale white and so drunk its awful .. I am at the brink of tears every day and am so worried .. I do not like Al anon at all there's no discussion there only talking and then a "thank you for sharing" it's not for me. Please please please give me guidance I am desperate what to do why has  gone from a million texts a day to hardly anything ... Is it becuz i  have been askign him to go to detox and he doesnt want to hear it  and so he is pushing me away becuz i represnt sanity and the "right thing" - or is it beciz i havent said yes yet agin to his living with me which is what he seems to be so angry about - he wont stop bringing it up =  I HAD TO take a break cuz my mental health was at risk not to mention all the time I have missed with my Work I was at risk of losing everything .Will he regret hwo he is treating me when and if he sobers up - is my staying away smear or will he resent me for it - He always spoke of getting married and we were the perfect couple - . Please respond

3 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi Quadrillion

i agree that addiction is a disease but i dont believe that this absolves us of responsibility for our actions our that we have no choice - i'm an alcoholic and drug addict - i have done some pretty horendous things when i was using alcohol and drugs - sure i regret these things but the fact that i am an addict does not mean i am not responsible for what i have said to people or for what i have done.

i make a choice every day not to drink and not to take drugs- if i decide to relapse which happned quite alot many years ago - then i am responsible for what i do and say when using alcohol/drugs - if i make the decision to use, when i know the effect it is going to have on me, then i am responsible for the consequences- good or bad -

i have been around addiction and addicts for over thirthy years and i have met many people who have used their disease (addiction) to  excuse what they have done - i have always thought this is BS.

as for being made to feel ashamed - i am not ashamed of being an addict - it is something i have to deal with on a daily basis - if other people have a problem with that - then thats thier problem !!!!!!  i have been in three rehab centres a physic ward, hospitals and police cells so i have been around the block a few times- it took me a long while to accept i was an addict and to accept responsibility for my recovery - addiction is hard to beat, it require alot of hard work and not a small amount of pain but it can be done and the support of people around you is very important but never confuse support with enabling - addiction is a progresive disease - it gets worse with time if not tackled - it is also a potentialy fatal disease - 

the only advice i will give you is to be really sure you want to hang around - addiction is for life - there is no cure - make sure you know what you are taking on - either wayt i wish you well with whatever decision you make -

• Posted

I would agree with that pmcg. The way I say it is:

'It is not your fault you have this condition, but it IS your responsibility to find a solution if you want your life to be better.'

• Posted

Hi pmcg thank you so much. I look to your advice becuz you have been there I ALWAYS try to put myself in someone else's place to feel how they might be feeling. My heart breaks for him and I want to take him away from his pain but the more I've tried to say "im here or I believe in you or we can do this together" the more annoyed he gets with me and lashes out and tells me I need help . He will NOT get off of the fact I said no to his living with me . Everything else I've done all the love & support caring and work is out the window he can only say now I'm selfish bcuz I didn't say yes to his living with me. Do I get in touch with him or let him be in touch with me. Last I did last Friday in a text he was horribly nasty. What do i do or say or should I just lay low and let him come around? Do alcoholics forget the person they love this easily?
    • Posted

Pmcg I just replied to you below by accident in Paul's spot I don't know how to copy and paste can u look at it and give me advice?
    • Posted

Pmcg I just responded to Paul by accident it's below would u please take a look and help me when u have a chance? Thank you
    • Posted

Hi pmcg I'll try to keep this short I would love ur advice I have now been hearing from my BF since Saturday thru text - he is now being nice and really not lashing out - he's been telling me he misses me he's been sending all kinds of loving texts - I've been replying letting him know I miss him too.

Then this morning at 4:30 am more loving texts from him and I replied but to make a very long story short out of the blue he tells me he found a place to live and then says that he doesn't want anyone to be with him only to then switch back to saying he missed me then back to saying he's " got my number " and that " I left him" which is NOT true ... I told him so- I said I never left you - you checked out.

He kept saying " I'm not a fool baby " as if there's something he thinks about me that ive done I have NO idea of .. I told him not to talk cryptic that I was being real then he joked around and ended again saying he missed me again . He kept saying " I'm like all the rest" when he knows that is not true .. He said he had to find a home becuz I left him which is also not true. The fact he kept saying "I'm not a fool baby" I have no idea what he means . He's puttin ME on the defensive but then turns around and is all sweet his emotions are all over the place .

Do u have any clue what's going on ? If he truly wants to be alone and wants no one at his new place than why is he even in touch? It's not like I'm reaching out - blv me I miss him so much and love him I just feel like I'm walking on eggshells - I've taken your advice and have been laying low. What is on his mind when he says I'm not a fool ? I'm completely confused ..

Thank you for any insight you can offer me

• Posted

Hi Quadrillion -

i would be worried about the fact he was texting you at 4.30 am - also the way his texta are not exactly consistant or rational, was he drinking ? - i can only tell you how it was for me - when i was drinking i used to be paranoid about my girlfriend going off with someone else- the fact that i had nothing to base this on, she was really great towards me- but it didnt stop me thinking like this - my thinking was really crazy - from what you have told me he sounds like someone that is not thinking straight- mood swings are pretty common when drinking-- again it is hard for me to interpret what is going on- not knowing him- i can only base it on what i used to be like - so i could be wide of the mark- is he still living in the hotel - as to blaming you for leving him- again that would be typical, if he convinces himself that he has been wronged it gives him a good excuse to feel sorry for himself and to continue drinking- again this is based on how i used to behave and manipulate every situation to justify my continued drinking - it makes it easy to carry on drinking when you convince yourself the whole world is against you and nobody cares- crazy i know- but as i said before, we dont think like other people- all i would say is be careful about believing anything he tells you relating to his drinking- i may be really wrong, but i get the impression he is thinking like an addict in active addiction, as i said i may be wrong, i hope this is of some use  - remember you gotta look after you - talk to someone, dont carry all this around with you and most importantly- i'll say it again - you are not responsible for his addiction or recovery AND HAVE DONE NOTHING TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT- all the best- take the best of care of you -

• Posted

pmcg, you are right in all that you say. I work with people who find different ways to justify their drinking. They will even create a row, when they are craving badly, in order to get away from everybody and go and drink. They will say 'I don't want you near me because I am a bad person and I don't want to hurt you' or 'you are making me drink by picking on me.'

This is all nonsense, of course and I don't blame the individuals, themselves, because I believe that if alcohol addiction was widely recognised as a medical problem rather than a behaviour problem, people with this disorder wouldn't need excuses and could get the most appropriate treatment. It is a scandal that people who get into trouble with alcohol are told that they should feel shame and guilt for their condition. In the same way, their families, who have also been brainwashed into blaming the drinker, are victims of this horrendous myth.

It is not a person's fault that they get into trouble with alcohol, however, it IS their responsibility to find a solution.

• Posted

Pmcg hi! It is 4 am and Saturday going into Sunday morning. I woke up and can't sleep. I don't know how but I never saw this reply from you until now ? It really helps to know I'm not crazy and that his trying to say I left him is in a way his needing to feel wronged and in essence maybe justify his drinking. This is all so sad abd even if it's true that he is trying to justify his drinking it doesn't help him get the help he needs but (and blv me this isn't about my feelings) at least I know that he probably knows and he probably deep down realizes what he is accusing me of (that is "leaving him" and "breaking his heart") is not true. You asked if he is still living in a hotel - I don't know- last I heard from him which was Tuesday morning was that he "found a home" - his method of communication is text now since a week and a half ago- before when this all started to unravel - this whole horrible last few weeks - he WAS sending videos of him self and he looked just awful !! And he would call also - now anything "real time" videos or calls have stopped its just texts abd he will send all old videos and photos from the spring and beginning of the summer ... So now I have NO IDEA what he's looking like or sounds like - I swear this is SO DIFFICULT pmcg - this is the love of my life - to think he's god knows where - I haven't heard from him since the last time I told you about (four days ago) when he was all loving then accusing me of breaking his heart then went to joking around then back to telling me he missed me ! So Tuesday was last contact from him. I haven't texted him cuz quite frankly Im lost and don't know how or what to say if I were to.

I hope this ends soon i hope also that he is thinking of me like I am of him .. I am praying for him every moment - I am praying for myself for strength I've been asking my parents to help me too ( they have both passed away) so I feel like they are watching over me.

pmcg next he's in touch with me any advice on what I should say ? I want to be exact with my message to him so he knows I love him and he knows I care but that I won't let him blame me for leaving him? Is it easy for him or for anyone whose drinking to forget about the woman they love ? Does alcohol take over that much? We had such a connection and now I feel like I'm losing him. I am so lost.

Thank you pmcg for any advice or insight you have been helping me so much I loo on this site every day to see your answers. Please also see my response to your more recent post and help. It is below on this thread somewhere.

Thank you again with all my heart .

Truly thank you !!!

• Posted

Pmcg I just sent you a long reply and somehow a smiley face got posted in my reply - It wasn't meant to be there-
    • Posted

Hi Paul! What is a "row" in your reference in ur reply to pmcg?

Also in re to your theory that the addict would not act like this if society did not make it shameful (which i wholeheartedly agree) why then in individual cases -as in mine with my BF- doesn't the theory follow ? ;

I have not shamed him -EVER

I have not made him feels anything but worthwhile

I have done nothing but support him

( w/the exception of this last go round where I think its necessary he get professional help as opposed to staying with me)

I have been all that you suggest - so why individually does this not work?

I worry cuz now if left alone as o have been doing -as I feel I have no option / what happens ? - he was in touch with me as you know this past Tuesday and more than likely will surface again. I'm a little stronger and ready to reply to him this time instead of coddling him - I will be loving but firm - but what now ? What to say to him ? I do not want to lose him but if he believes and truly believes I've "left" him as he put it how do I address that next time he's in touch?

Thank you for your help & caring.

What is the time difference for everyone in the UK? I'm writing this post at 9:00am Sunday morning here in the states on the east coast !

Thank you truly & sincerely

• Posted

'Row' means 'argument' smile Pronounced 'row' (rhyming with 'now') rather than 'ro' smile

Taking your comment about not shaming him. If a person gets bitten by a dog, they may well fear ALL dogs and EXPECT all dogs to bite them after that experience, even though only that one dog actually did.

It takes a lot of time to trust when many people close to you have blamed you, turned away from you and let you down by taking away their support. People who feel that everybody has let them down are less likely to trust anybody because they fear being let down again.

Just keep telling him that you are there, that you are not going to let him down, that you want to help but that doesn't mean doing everything he asks of you, because the things he wants are not always the best things for him to do. Ask him to talk to you about things and let you be part of his decision-making, so that you can point out things that may not be in his best interests. Make sure he knows that you believe him to be intelligent and able to make good decisions normally but that his addiction is interfering with that process at the moment and, while you won't dictate to him what he should or shouldn't do, you want to be there to help him find solutions to his drinking problem.

The UK is 5 hours ahead of the East Coast of the USA

• Posted

Paul what great advice thank you!

I agree w everything you suggested . I only wish I had found this sight and the advice I'm absorbing now - four weeks ago I can't imagine how different my BF's life would be right now! Thank you for being so generous with your time, knowledge & thoughtfulness. Xo

• Posted

HI Quadrillion. Whether your are in the US or UK the problems with drinking are the same and you are having a tough time and deserve better. All people on this forum have good ideas and will give you support and not be judging you. Keep giving us more news and we are ALL supporting you. You cannot do more and he is luck to have you!! Ohters would have walked away by now. Trust me!    smile
    • Posted

Thank you Paul same here ... It was great to talk with you too. your selflessness & desire to help others is a rare quality like I said only good things come your way ... Blessings xo
    • Posted

Hi Robin thank you for this note the struggle I'm going through with feeling guilty and "if only I did this or if only I knew this " is horrible here it is 3:30 am and I'm still up worried sick about him. Havevt heard from him in 8 days now... Not like him ..thank you for reaching out this forum right now is my sanity xox
    • Posted

Paul new development this morning I recvd s text from his parents - my BF hasn't responded to ANY of his moms messages for now 11 days and they asked me if he's okay - I called them to talk & told them that I haven't recvd anything in 8 days ! Told them s little of what's been going on. Difference is his moms been trying to reach him every day whereas I haven't been texting or calling thinking he would be in touch when he was in a sober moment but now I am beyond worried . And although I know my reasons for not contacting him these last 8 days ( it was becuz I was worried how he would respond to me -becuz he's been hurtful a couple of times and I can't handle any more hurt) now i feel horrible becuz what if something has happened to him ? For him not to respond to his mom is a big deal - his mom being sick and diagnosed with her illness is what sent him on this relapse in the first place - should I be worried ? What can I do to help his mom so that he is in touch with her? I want her NOT TO WORRY she' is going thru enuff with chemo and radiation and her not hearing back from him has got to be horrible ... Can you or ANYONE on this forum suggest what I should or should not do? I can't blv Im hesitating to be in touch w him! It's been my fear of something hurtful he will say like what I told you about ... And although I know it's unlikely it still is what has kept me from initiating contact ... But now I feel for his mom I need to help her cuz she needs above anything peace of mind.

Please help me with suggestions Paul , PMCG, Deidre, Paper Fairy, Robin thank you

Love & peace ❤️

• Posted

Hi. Your post really hits home the pain and suffering for those that love an alcoholic when he chooses to go on a binge and selfishly cut out those that truly care..I think you should try to contact him today for the sake of yourself and his poor mums sanity and health. If he's angry and verbally abusive to you, ignore, don't get drawn in as it's not him really( Jekyll and Hyde)..not sure what others think but that's what I'd do. Maybe he's lost his phone charger, broke his phone( I used to when on a bad binge) but you won't know until you've tried yourself to contact him. My thoughts and prayers go out to you xx
    • Posted

Even if nothing else, send him a message telling him that he needs to contact his family and you to let you all know he is ok. I'm sure he will be, as PaperFairy said, this is a common occurance with some problem drinkers.
    • Posted

Hi Paper Fairy THANK YOU !

And thank you for the thought of he may of lost his phone or charger which i didn't even think of . I have to do this you are right for his mom more than anything ... Thank you truly for replying here!!

Xox

• Posted

Paul thank you, yesterday when I spoke with his dad I could hear in his voice that he was worried for his wife (my BF 's mom) - she is fighting the biggest battle of her life she needs peace of mind- between your and paper fairy's response I believe I have the courage to contact him and like paper fairy said just ignore if he says anything that hurts me cuz right now it's not about me -it really never has been - it's about his mom and her peace of mind !

Xox

• Posted

Paul one other thing! I spoke to his parents about the Sinclair method my goal - let me rephrase - my "prayer" is that my BF is in touch that he Agrees to meet me and that I can give him the information on his options where he can live without the dreaded revolving door (and I can only speak to his experience) of detox/rehab/relapse ... I pray for everyone on this site that God guides them and that we all have happiness and light in our lives.

Thank you again Paul ! Xo

• Posted

Hi Paul

A guy who lives in my street has been an alcoholic for 25 years.

I tried to help him but he just keeps on about it is his rubbish childhood that makes him drink.

What do you think Paul?

• Posted

Louisa. The reason is not as important, right now. What matters is whether he wasn't do do anything about it. Treatment for alcohol problems cannot be imposed on those who don't want it, only those who wish to deal with the problem.

If you want to help him, the best way is ask him 'but what do you want to do NOW?'

• Posted

Hi Paper Fairy - I have posted since your suggestion to get in touch with him but cannot get past my fear of what he might say to lash out - even though he was okay in his last exchange with me - I still am worried what I might hear - this is terrible I'm a complete mess I wish I could just do it. Problem is also I have friends but they are all far away and it would make such a difference if I had someone next to me when I sent the text just for support & strength ...

Xo

• Posted

Hi there. You have to find the strength to contact him by phone or text( that's if he hasn't lost his phone or can't get a signal or lost charger). As I've said previously that's what used to happen to me when on a binge. Phone him now or you will keep getting more stressed. I'm here for you and others here. JUST CALL HIM please xx
    • Posted

If he's Mr Hyde just hang up and say you will text him. Try to find out where he is staying for his mum xx
    • Posted

What a complete sweetheart you are to say you're here for me ! Thank you . Are you Louis or Louisa ?

I am going to drive to the family home where I grew up - I think if I go there I'll gain strength to make the contact becuz I will feel my mom & dad around me - thank you again so much!!! Xox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.