Losartin Potassium

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hi I would love to hear from any one who is on Losartin Potassium for High Blood Pressure. I am a very fit 56yr old who is working in a professional job that needs a clear head and plenty of energy. However after three years of constant anxiety I was diagnised as having high Blood Pressure following three weeks of serious nose bleeds, and was prescribed Amlodopine. This worked well on lowering my blood pressure but had such bad side effects that I finally persuaded my GP to stop them . I am now taking Losartin Potassium 25mg and where as the side effects are not as bad as with the Amlodopine ,I am still experienceing severe tiredness and feel muddled and confused at times. I have only been on them for a week now and have to go back to my GP in three weeks time, but even though I am back in work I am not functioning the way that I should be. I would appriciate it if I could hear from any one else who is on this medication because I have gone from a very active person to one who is struggling to get through the day . Thank you

9 likes, 219 replies

219 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Moonbrush, doctors always used to state that stress would not be the cause of high blood pressure, I firmly believe that chronic stress over a long period suffered by myself was to blame for my high BP - a consultant cardiologist also stated that he believed stress had probably caused my high blood pressure. Doctors just cannot prove that stress may be a cause, which is why they cannot confirm or deny it may be the cause. Having lived with the knowledge of having high BP for almost 10 years I understand a lot more about the problem now. The effects of chronic stress on our bodies is very much underestimated - although more recent studies are beginning to associate it with various health issues sufferers experience.
    • Posted

Ive been on many and have had complications from Lung Rattles almost like pneumonia on Coreg to left ear tinnitus (constant for life) from a water pill drying my ear out??  ... now on Losartan.. have gained 15 pounds (ok.. maybe holiday eats.. but.. satiety might be affected?) have an itchy left foot, and feel sort of dizzy at times.. plus the couch is very appealing.. where I usually am all over the place.  At any rate, the stress that comes from the outside is constant.. we do get a choice of how to deal with it.. A healthy sense of self preservation might seem like apathy, but, we can't all respond to every stimulus.  To be, hypertension is linked to emotions... i guess by heart rate and perhaps vasoconstriction?  At least my hands and feet are warm.. I guess i have good perfusion :^).    Now that holidays are about over, its time to get walking and so on back on track.  The human body is pretty astounding. Hope it can cope with the 100 mg Losartan that my Dr thinks is so vital.  The Dx of "essential hypertension" to me is a real cop-out.. Should there be license to stop looking into why hypertension is a problem?   there should be a check box on the insurance form that indicates further research is needed, rather than just noting.. "you are not important enough to look any further".
    • Posted

Hi John, I haven't used the email account associated with this for years (changed it to my current one now). I no longer take Losartan - stopped it last year (after about 8 years of taking it). I stopped taking it because I was getting severe aches in my joints - shoulders, hips, knees, my shins - everything. I also found that I always seemed to have quite acidic urine with it. I started getting terrible pain at night in my legs too. All blood tests came back ok (so they told me). I told the Dr I wanted to change the meds and they gave me Irbesartan. I have taken it on and off, but I was still getting lots of aches and pains and was getting very depressed on it. I have had to stop taking it and although I am not checking my BP at the moment (I know it isn't good as I was told twice I was heading for a stroke in the past due to the changes in my blood vessels in my eyes), but the quality of life was making me depressed. Anyway, since I have stopped taking any of them (2 months now), I no longer have a feeling of acidic urine and I all the joint pain has gone - when I couldn't sleep with the pain in my legs and shoulders before. I rest my case as what caused it all. No doubt about it. Dr's just try and brush it under the table and tell you it isn't the meds. Pile of c**p. Trying to do other things to control my BP. I give up with BP meds at the moment. I am only 47 and was always so super fit and healthy (going to the gym 5 times a week) - now I feel like an old woman - when your joints go it is very worrying, so I won't be taking any meds just yet. I think they would have detroyed my joints eventually. 

• Posted

Yes I do agree doctors tend to be a little hesitant to put blame on stress for the onset of hypertension. In your case having had chronic stress for a long time it could so easily have triggered the onset of high blood pressure. Who can argue with your consultant cardiologist, may have seen many stress related cases in his time. Anyway nice talking to you...
    • Posted

Hi Almac, yes I have no doubt mine is stress related (always used to be super fit going to the gym and only ate extremely healthy food) - since I wrote on here stress has been accepted as a cause of high BP - hmm, took them this long. Sorry for the late reply - haven't used this email account in years.

• Posted

my previous message meant to say stress has been confirmed as causing anything from BP to cancer.
  • Posted

Hi every one I am glad to read that we are all doing well. I am now happy with my medication and plan to stay on it for life if the need be. I am also making sure that I monitor my BP once a month and go for regular check ups and blood tests. I have two beautiful granddaughters and I want to be around to see them grow up, so I am going to be sensible and do what the doctor says. One only realises how ill one was when the symptoms are no longer there. I always had a muzzy head and would become unsteady on my feet. Also there was a constant noise in my ears and I could hear my heart beat. Thankfully all these have gone now and my body feels quiet. So lets all enjoy good health and look forward to a fantastic future because we can xx
  • Posted

Hi Stacy, so glad everything is working out OK for you, and that you will be taking the appropriate measures to monitor your BP. And I fully agree what you said about taking your doctor's advice. Anyway wishing you the very best for the future.
  • Posted

I started 25mg Losartin a week ago. Obviously too little time to tell if there are any significant reactions, but a friend said he has taken 50mg for two years without issue. He said he doesn't even know he is taking it. Any fatigue must be due to other side effects? I also take 80mg Lipitor, which can definitely make some people fatugued, but after a dozen years there is no diminished performance. I work in The Pentagon, so staying alert here is also a must.
    • Posted

Hi Idiot, how are you feeling now?
  • Posted

I’ve been taking Losartin for over two years now in combination with other hypertension tablets and have really only noticed tiredness, so I can’t really say which of the three hypertension treatments I’m taking that is causing it...? I can’t comment on Lipitor because there is a difference in some medication brand names in Europe and the USA... But I can say once you start taking hypertension treatment you are on it for life, the best thing to remember, is not to worry about it after all, if you are visiting your Doctor on a regular basis there should be no problems... I would imagine working in the Pentagon you would need to have your wits about you. So from an English Man all the best with your medication..

• Posted

I am taking Losartan 50mg - and I feel anxious and depressed which is not be at all. I also find my concentration levels are poor - and I have been an author for over 20 years, used to tight deadlines as well as working in other voluntary capacities which demand attention to detail. I really find this medication difficult although my bp is coming down. Does anyone else experience unusual levels of anxiety?
    • Posted

Hi Rosie - I have experienced the same symptoms. Are you stil taking it?
    • Posted

I am taking on 25mg of Losartan and just checked in with Dr last week.  After taking it for 3 months, my BP was 124/70.  I think as long as you take a low dose the side effects are minimal.  I was told to take 25mg in the beginning until I got used to it and then start taking 50mgs.  I never bumped up the dosage because I knew I would experience the horrible side effects.  Luckily 25mg worked for me and my doctor was truly surprised that it worked so well.  I tried to tell him that I have a very low tolerance for all drugs, now he has seen it.
    • Posted

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and was put on Linsinopril but ended up with the "Linsinopril cough" so had to go off of that med. I am now taking 50mg of Losartan. I have been experiencing symptoms of a low grade sinus infection. A lot of drainage, sinus pressure and a small cough. Im not quite sure if it is coincidental that it is the med or just some seasonal allergies? Called my doc and I am going to give it a few more weeks. Anyone else experiencing any of these symptoms?

Thank you

• Posted

Read your patient information leaflet:

Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)

Cough, upper airway infection, congestion in the nose, sinusitis, sinus disorder

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.