Losartin Potassium

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hi I would love to hear from any one who is on Losartin Potassium for High Blood Pressure. I am a very fit 56yr old who is working in a professional job that needs a clear head and plenty of energy. However after three years of constant anxiety I was diagnised as having high Blood Pressure following three weeks of serious nose bleeds, and was prescribed Amlodopine. This worked well on lowering my blood pressure but had such bad side effects that I finally persuaded my GP to stop them . I am now taking Losartin Potassium 25mg and where as the side effects are not as bad as with the Amlodopine ,I am still experienceing severe tiredness and feel muddled and confused at times. I have only been on them for a week now and have to go back to my GP in three weeks time, but even though I am back in work I am not functioning the way that I should be. I would appriciate it if I could hear from any one else who is on this medication because I have gone from a very active person to one who is struggling to get through the day . Thank you

9 likes, 219 replies

219 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Rosie

I've been taking Losartan Potassium 50mg for just over 3 weeks now - my renal consultant added it to another BP pill, Diltiazem, which I've taken for around 9 months. I have been tried on various other BP pills alongside the Diltiazem in the last few months, but whereas I didn't feel 100% on any of the others, I feel much better on Losartan. My systolic BP is still not down to 135 where the consultant wants it but definitely much better than the 200 or so reading I was getting before treatment! I guess when I see the consultant again next week, he will be suggesting either an increase to the higher dose or adding in yet another pill. I understand the latest thinking is to put patients on the lower doses of several different pills rather than on high doses of just one.

If you feel your anxiety and depression have only appeared since taking Losartan, and you haven't had any other stress in your life recently, then perhaps your GP will try you on another. My pharmacist told me that he doesn't hear as many complaints about side effects from customers on Losartan as on other BP pills.

• Posted

I switched from Ramipril to Losartan 50mg because of side effects. Since taking Losartan for the past eight weeks, I have been anxious, jumpy and depressed; and this is unusual for me. I am 68 years old, and apart from the high blood pressure, fit and healthy (bit of a dodgy hip but nothing serious). This anxiety is debilitating and I intend to see my GP about it; trouble is they are adamant that I should be on the medication (bp was 200/95 but is now 150/82. I agree that received information is that Losartan has fewer side effects but am tempted to try a couple of weeks without it and see what happens

• Posted

Rosie - I know how you feel. My creatinine levels have now increased on the Losartan and I still have swollen ankles from the Diltiazem. I think the view of the consultant is that I have to put up with the side effects to reduce the risks of living with high BP. I'm often tempted to give up the pills but am scared of the possible consequences of doing so! Do be careful.
  • Posted

Hi Stacy

I am a fit and healthy 54 Year old man, I have always been both mentally and physically active, until 2 years ago when I was prescribed medication for Hypertension. I have tried Bisoprolol, Ramipril,Amlodopine and currently Losartan and they all make me feel lethargic,and stunt my mental capacity. I constantly have a fuzzy head and have no drive. I can manage to undertake routine tasks but my usual drive that never lets me sit stil has gone. If I wasnt such a positive happy person I think I would be in deprersssion. My pharmacist states that he hasnt heard first hand of this type of side effect. It is ruining my quality of life and I need to find an altenative that doesnt effect me so badly. I guess its a matter iof trial and error. My GP is great he engages me in decisions and treats me as a professional adult, I couldnt ask for more.   I will keep on trying and will let you know if I am successful

Regards

Kevin  

• Posted

So glad to know others feel crappy on Losartin. I absolutely HATE this feeling. I exercise vigorously 7 days a week, never had a health issue and now, my systolic has gone up, diastolic is around 60-70. When I tell my doctor I'm feeling fuzzy and tired (oh, and I gained a couple of pounds, what's with that?), he gives me a puzzled look. Hmm, he says, you shouldn't have these reactions. Arrgh! Anyway, had to vent, thank you.
    • Posted

Hi,

i had been on Amlodepene 10 mg for a few years. I took it in the morning

and did not have many side effects except I constantly has to go pee

14 times in 24 hours and night time getting up. I sometimes had to stop the car in the middle of a journey. Doctor changed to losartan 50 mg. but I feel vey lethargic and sleepy with heavy head. I have not been to the Gym for 7 days!!! I don't get up at night except once and so am getting a good night sleep but this daytime drowsiness is not pleasant. The pharmacist from Boots has called me 3 times to monitor if I am feeling ok..unusual

i thought! I have had a blood test after taking this drug for 2 weeks and will  now try and get an appointment to see GP. The pharmacist told me maybe I should take it in the evening to avoid daytime lethargy. I just feel overall maybe amlodepene  had lesser side effects. When I had stopped amlodepe for 7 days I was feeling like a new man eyesight sharper full of energy. But was told that it is not wise to stop taking hypertension meds. 

Wish if there was a natural product to lower BP. 

• Posted

I always used to get a fuzzy head and be unable to concentrate, but Losartan 100mg actually helped stop that (I was on it for 8 years but came off it last year as my joints were in constant pain and I was kept awake at night). I asked for a different BP med and they put me on Irbesartan. Didn't like that either as my joints were still sore. Dr's refused to believe the joint pain was connected to the meds, so I gnored them and just stopped taking them.  I no longer take any meds and have stopped checking my BP - just trying to do other things to sort my BP (had high BP for 14 years). Meds wreck your body over time - I was diagnosed at age 33 and was very slim, fit and healthy - all to do with stress. No point having low BP when you are in agony have poor quality of life with your joints aching so much. All the pain in my joints has gone since I have stopped taking the meds. I have been on practically all of the meds over the last 14 years, so I don't want to take any of them again at the mo as they all caused me problems, but Losartan was the better one until my joint pain got out of control.

• Posted

Dear Stacy, Today was my first losartan tablet so I can not offer much helpful advice. It has left me dizzy but I am prepared to 'give it a go' and be patient. I have read the literature about this drug and like other hypertension drugs, some drowsiness can be expected. I have found a good doctor here in Shanghai and I will push ahead with this medication. I have learned more about this losartan from the above comments. This is my first post as a newly registered member. Thanks , best wishes to you Stacy.
  • Posted

Hi Stacy,

i suffer with high blood pressure and am currently taking 100mg losartan tabs, l totally agree the my memory has become very poor since taking this medication, and have now had to cut my hours down at work to part time as i am so tired after a few hours. thank you

• Posted

Maybe its time to slow down...the problem with HBP is finding the right fit

excerise your mind and your body... get more enjoyment... maybe cutting back on the work that you do may lower your Blood pressure.... Sukhvinder....Question.. how old are you..............:-)

• Posted

Stacy, I have been taking Losartan Potassium 50mg for almost 3 months and so far all ok.  My pharmacist said that Losartan is a drug of which he hears the least reports of side effect from patients.  Could it be that after just a week your body is just geting used to the switch from one drug to another - very often initial side effects are just transient.  Perhaps you are still experiencing leftover effects from the Amlodipine - such side effects can sometimes take a few weeks to disappear after discontinuing a drug. 
  • Posted

Hi all I'm starting Losartin Potassium tomorrow 08/08/14 I'll let you all know next week on how the medication has affected me.

Stay Healthy........

Ralph 

• Posted

Ralph, good luck - I hope we hear next week that you are having all the benefits (reducing blood pressure) and no side effects!  I'm still taking it (50mg daily).  
    • Posted

I just started Ii t last week so far no change in bp.Let me know if you get any side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.