Losartin Potassium

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hi I would love to hear from any one who is on Losartin Potassium for High Blood Pressure. I am a very fit 56yr old who is working in a professional job that needs a clear head and plenty of energy. However after three years of constant anxiety I was diagnised as having high Blood Pressure following three weeks of serious nose bleeds, and was prescribed Amlodopine. This worked well on lowering my blood pressure but had such bad side effects that I finally persuaded my GP to stop them . I am now taking Losartin Potassium 25mg and where as the side effects are not as bad as with the Amlodopine ,I am still experienceing severe tiredness and feel muddled and confused at times. I have only been on them for a week now and have to go back to my GP in three weeks time, but even though I am back in work I am not functioning the way that I should be. I would appriciate it if I could hear from any one else who is on this medication because I have gone from a very active person to one who is struggling to get through the day . Thank you

9 likes, 219 replies

219 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Stacy.... I have being taking Losartan Potassium 50mg for 3weeks and then my Heart Doctor increased to 100mg's, I 've being talking 100mg for about a week now, at frist I did not want to take this medication because I donot like having to take any medication.. I two was put on Amlodipine, for about 8 to 10 months and the side effects began to set in...I stop taking them.... I did not take any Blood Pressure meds for about 3 weeks.... however my bp was so high 174 and some time higher.. Stacy... I have a Left Bundle Branch Block in my Heart...which causes my ECG to be abnormal.... I'm told there is no meds to take... I'm not on any meds for this....however more.. and more my heart doctor has has insisted that I take HBP meds... in short.. I'm taking Losartan Potassium 100mg now so far.. I'm donig fine there has been no side effects that  can say now...my medical doctor has over many years put me on HBP meds of which I was not taking as I should... now my heart doctor  has made me understand that we all get older and have to make changes  that we do not want to.... I have read all the  replys written here... Stacy.. stay active... find a excerise that you like... or just walk.. as my doctor says do worry to much about the changes life being us...Take good care of your Heart. I'm now 73... going on 40.

Elsa....:-)

• Posted

I just started losartan last week and I dont feel any different yet.My bp is still high but no side effects yet.I was on benzipril but I got such a hacking cough that I took myself off.Then my bp spiked so I tried natural remedies but they did not work so my doctor said that Losartin has less side effects . I would like to know how long it takes to work.
    • Posted

jerry, I was told that it can take 3-4 weeks for a new BP medication to have full effect.

Losartan was about my 6th different BP pill to try after experiencing very unwanted side effects from all the previous ones.  My consultant wants me on three different BP pills but we've only managed to get as far as trialling two and I couldn't cope with the side effects.  So it's just Losartan Potassium 50mg at the moment - no noticeable side effects (the pharmacist said it was the one with the least side effects reported by all his customers) but it isn't completely controlling my blood pressure either.  So have just started GP referral sessions at a local gym in a last ditch effort to try to reduce my blood pressure through exercise.  Hopefully your blood pressure doesn't spike as high as mine and you will find the Losartan sufficient.

• Posted

It made me light headed to begin with and that was on 25mg before it was increased to 50mg.

• Posted

There are many potential side effects listed in the packet but most people never get any at all. When I changed to another drug for a while I noticed that a very slight itching feeling I had stopped. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said that is caused by an effect of the drug on the kidneys.

Think of the good it will do not any possble annoyance. Remember people without side effects do not post here:-)  

• Posted

I started taking losartan 5days ago and my B/P has gone up.It is now 187/103.I see my doctor in a couple of weeks but I was wondering if this happens to you
    • Posted

Jerry, my blood pressure spikes all the time - it is what is known as labile blood pressure.

What dose of Losartan are you taking?  As you've only been taking it for 5 days, it is probably a low starting dose.  Often we are started on a low dose and then at our next appointment the dose is increased.

Have you tried taking your blood pressure three times in succession with about 2 minutes between each reading and relaxing in between?  This is what my consultant has asked me to do, and then record for him the average of the last two readings - successive readings can tend to reduce, although I have been known to be the exception to the rule!

I have stopped taking my blood pressure too often as I was finding that the more I took it the more obsessive I was becoming, possibly leding to higher readings.

• Posted

he started me with 50 milligrams per day and he will see me again in a couple of weeks.you're right I have become obsessive with taking my blood pressure several times a day and the more I take it the more concerned I become.thank you for your prompt replyI really appreciate any help I can get
    • Posted

Losartan does not keep mine on an even keel. Like Mrs O mine is labile. It usaully drops gradually during the day to some really low numbers...last night 99/67 which is of concern. This morning it was 199/114. Just now it is 111/63,

I have taken 100mg in the morning or at night or split the dose between morning and night without it making much difference. That has been the case since 2001. For the the first eleven years I was taking verapamil as well and from time to tme Losartan was swirched to another drug.

Like Mrs O I keep a record of my readings . 

• Posted

199/114 is pretty scary with medication but good info.I won't freak out if mine gets that high.thank you.I have noticed that early in the morning mine is high too.I think my doctor is going to increase mine to100mg when I see him again.

Thanks

• Posted

All I can say is that after years like that I'm still here at 80.

Some reports say that it is the average that counts others say that the peaks are dangerous. Recently I have had two appointments at a hyperstension referal centre and this is what I qouted from in an other conversation from his letter to my GP.

“ His blood pressure at the clinic today was 187/82. He has very labile hypertension but I wonder the reality if it is his blood pressure tends to be low but very reactive rather than predominately high certainly he seems to have had side effects on a number of antihypertensives raising the question as to whether he was in fact being over treated. To avoid complicating things we are leaving his medication as it is although if he gets symptomatic hypertension it would probably be worth reducing his losartan (from 100mg to 50mg) 

We will arrange the MR scan and I look forward to hearing the results of his 24 hour ambulatory monitor. 

Going into his past in a little more detail it sounds as if he hasn’t had a lot in the way of investigations for his hypertension and I am going to arrange an MR scan to address his aneurysm but more importantly whether his renal arteries are involved in it (which might not be apparent from the surveillance ultrasounds he gets) and also to clarify a little more about his liver cysts and in particular the extent to which his kidneys may be involved” 

MR scan was today but next appointment at the clinc is not until mid January.

• Posted

I am 70 and hope to live another 20 years without having a stroke or heart attack.about a year ago I stop taking blood pressure medication because of a hacking cough but since it has gone so high I went back to my doctor for different medication hopefully this one does not give me the hacking cough
    • Posted

A GP once said to me that we don't really treat patients for hypertension. If we did we would never see any other patients. The consultant at the hypertension centre said "Cardiologists are the wrong people to treat hypertension as they don't know enough about it. They are very good at doing clever things that I can't do but hypertension needs to be left to experts".

Problem is getting to see an expert as Hypertension Referral Centres are thin on the ground.

The problem

• Posted

Jerry here's to another 20 years, and Derek you've got years to go to catch up with my 89-year-old aunt - she still attends the gym, swims and goes sequence dancing!  I had my first gym session ever on Friday (GP referral) and I was dreading the teacher taking my BP in case it was 200 and I got thrown out.  It was 168/86 - good by my standards.  Everyone said that following their experience when she took it again at the end of the class it would be lower.  However, true to form I had to be the exception to the rule, the systolic had risen to 177 but the diastolic had reduced to 77.  Didn't overdo things though but enjoyed the class and am looking forward to my next session on Monday.

Derek, your consultant's point about your side effects from numerous BP medications raising the question as to whether you were being overtreated is interesting if a little odd.  I always thought that my side effects were purely because I was just sensitive to the drugs.  Interesting.

• Posted

I am attending a cardioclass tommorow and I will try to do cardio at the gym as often as I can.thank you for your inspiration and giver your great aunt a hug for me
    • Posted

He has raised a lot of interesting points.

He said over treated in his letter but at the consultation he also said if it is low but tends to be reactive I may be reacting to drugs because I don't really need them. 

The MR scanner was an old one and just as well I'm not claustrophobic. The newer ones are evidently a bit roomier. It only took fifteen minutes but I would not want to be in there for a full body scan.

• Posted

did you have to give up coffee and alcohol with this med. I like 1cup of coffee and 1or2 drinks.

my doctor did not mention it.

• Posted

Jerry, it might be helpful for you to take your BP monitor along to the gym and see what it records following your exercise.  Be careful not to over-exert yourself if your BP is very high at any point.  I am being protected at the gym owing to it being through GP referral so have someone watching over me.

My aunt will love the hug and I know she'd want me to return it to you, even though it's only a virtual one.

• Posted

Jerry, no you don't have to give up coffee and alcohol because of BP meds.  In fact they do say that a glass of red can be beneficial - mind you I think the jury is still out on that one as we do read some conflicting reports.  However, I gave up coffee and alcohol  some years ago due to an inflammatory illness (not that I ever drank more than an occasional glass of red wine), plus the coffee can increase my palpitations.  If I do have an occasional coffee then I ensure it's decaf, and I also drink decaf tea.
    • Posted

Derek, if I go into an MRI or CT scanner, I have to keep my eyes firmly closed throughout, then I can cope.

It will be interesting to hear more from your future visits to the hypertension centre - sounds like we need a few more of those around reading the consultant's view on cardiologists treating hypertension.

• Posted

I kept my eyes closed as there was nothing to look at and looking at the curve of scanner made my eyes lose focus. I had a couple of CT scans three years ago at different hospitals and they were much roomier.

The kidney one I had then had a doctor present in case I had a reaction to the dye they used. I had told them of a reaction to a dye used in an X-Ray thirty years ago and they said it was a now a diiferent dye. Yesterday the said that the two dyes used are different from the one used for CT scans.    

The machine is so loud that my wife could hear in the waiting room. Next step is another 24 hour BP monitor but it will be a long time before I have anything to report back on with the next appointment not until January.

• Posted

A friend who is 84 has been hypertensive for over thirty years stopped one of her meds as it said not to take alcohol. She felt that her glass of wine in the evening and the ocasional hot toddy was more beneficial. 

She has been stop start with meds all of that time. It has been sky high due to stress for the past few years due to her husbands worsening dementia.

She is even more stressed now as she is on her own since he went into a 'Care Home' last month where he is not being well looked after for her £1200 a month, is unhappy and has had a bad fall.

• Posted

I'm been on a high amount of hypertension medication for many years, four lots a day, Istin, Losartan, and Doxazosin. I've always kept fit and enjoyed a can or two of beer and don't intend giving it up! Besides going to the doctor once every year for a check up I never think of my condition, the medication is my life support without it I would be dead, so I get on with life..

So I would say to all those who've got hypertension, don't let it become an issue, follow your doctor's advice and just get on with life....

• Posted

Derek, yes the dyes can be problematic especially for those with kidney issues.  There is one dye that is considered safer than the other but I'm blowed if I can remember which one at the moment.  Interestingly, it was some months after an MRI a few years ago that I had the 'phone call telling me that I now had Chronic Kidney Disease - bit worrying when you've only got one!  I can't categorically claim the cause was the dye as there were a couple of other culprits thrown into the mix, one being Ibuprofen which I had to take for some months (only a small daily dose though), and the other was undiagnosed and therefore untreated inflammation left to course through my body at the time.

I'll be patient to hear your future news - January isn't that far away.

• Posted

Almac, Doxazosin is the next one my consultant is considering adding to my Losartan (lots of BP meds are a problem for me as I only have one kidney and chronic kidney disease - many of the BP meds are therefore contraindicated.  Are you aware of any side effects from the Doxazosin please?

Carry on enjoying your can of beer!

• Posted

That's a difficult one to answer Mrs O, because everyone is so different, when it comes to medication, personally I've had no side effects, but the only opinion worth anything is your consultant who I hope will know what is the most suitable for your situation, either way I wish you all the best for the future.
    • Posted

Thank you for your wise reply, Almac.  No-one would wish to be my consultant!  He's a lovely chap but is a bit in the dark after the last pill he prescribed made me feel quite poorly and my blood tests went to pot.  Thank Heavens for these routine blood tests - at least it showed that I wasn't imagining feeling poorly.

Thank you for your good wishes which I return threefold.

• Posted

When I was given the January appointment I joked that I hope the trains and busses are running that day.  Twice when I had winter appointments at hospitals I was the only patient to get there. At the last one the doctor got there about two hours late.

It was bad enough getting there yesterday with traffic congestion in Brighton.

• Posted

Sounds like you have more than hypertension if you are on four drugs and they are your are your life support. What was your BP when you started treatment compared to now?

If you don't think of it and have no side effects why are you reading this site? I always ask probing  questions:-)

• Posted

When a GP I had decided he had enough of the NHS and retired early he said perhaps my sucessor will suceeed  where I have failed you. His sucessor said that he had been left a lot of difficult patients like me:-)

I took that as sign of defeatism and switched to one of the other doctors in the practice:-)

• Posted

GM, I',m Elsa.. With all Meds I find their are some side effects.... I have been put on many types of HBP Meds I find thar Losartan has been the only Med that has helped I went from 50mg to now 100mg give it some time see how you do ...I find that its always hard to  take and try new Meds... give ur self some time.

• Posted

I find that Life  and how you life, out, and  see your life has a lo to do with your health.. aways remember what you put in comes out... the processing is what happen...sometime questions are asked just to find out how others are doing.. always ask your Doctor question and keep asking until are ok with the answer.

• Posted

So ture.. we put to much worry in owner condition and they become big issue... we are not here forever... take good care.. and Let God

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.