Lump feeling and gurgling in throat when swallowing

Posted , 31 users are following.

Since I had an endoscopy four months ago I have had a lump sensation and tightness in my throat on and off and now for the past few days I experience a gurgling sensation when I swallow at first it was just when i swallowed water immediately after it would feel like air gurgling up but now it’s also when I swallow saliva. It seems to go away when I lay down. It feels like an air bubble or burp is stuck in my throat. I’ve been on nexium for six weeks due to acid reflux but it doesn’t help with these symptoms. I also get pressure in my ears when this happens. Also this all started four months ago when I woke up with extreme pressure below my breastbone that caused me a lot of panic and I was unable to eat anything because of the discomfort. The pressure isn’t as bad in chest now but the lump in throat is bad and I don’t know if they are related like the pressure moved up into my throat. I also get burning pains and tenderness in my upper back and shoulder blades and sometimes feel it while I’m eating and drinking not afterwards. Has anyone had these symptoms and was it something other then acid reflux and did it finally go away? I’m really feeling depressed and hopeless that I will have to live like this for the rest of my life. 

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

just wondering what ppi you took that helped you? i took omeprazole for 2 months and it did nothing for my throat and then made me super nauseous and belchy so i had to stop.

• Posted

Hi Chandra,

I have exactly same symptoms, did it finally go? I am depressed badly as if I have to live life long with this problem.

Thanks,

Rishi

• Posted

anyone having swallowing issue and neck pain. when i swallow a sound comes in...thats weird.

• Posted

I have a similar situation from gasses sounds lump in the throat. do you have a history of dental infection or sinus infection?

• Posted

Did it eventually go away? I am having the same thing.

• Posted

Here is my $0.02

When I felt a strange sensation in my throat after a procedure I went to an ENT to stick a camera down the throat and guess what? He found a tumor, which is being treated.

Not all such investigations result in discovering a tumor. But whatever is or is not going on in your throat can be determined or excluded by such an investigation.

It took 2 min and with the anaesthetic sprayed into my nostrils, I felt nothing. Really.

Good luck.

• Posted

i saw an ent he looked in my nose but not my throat which bothered me his response was he didnt feel the need to. so I have a referral to another one. I also had a gastric scope done a year or so ago it was fine.

• Posted

In my case when he looked at the throat, his tube went up the nose and then down the throat.

If your doctor only looks at the nose, then he is indicating he is ill-equipped to examine the throat.

So the gastroscopy was fine? Good. Then the exam of the throat is all that's left.

• Posted

Hi

Not sure if you've managed to get under control, but I've had similar issues since some extensive nose surgery 4 months ago. Turns out I have an auto immune disease called Vasculitis. My blood vessels decided to attack my own immune system. Many complications as a result have effected my swallowing, burning skin all and a feeling of bruising under the skin

Lost base hearing and got tinnitus. Eyes have become dry and blocked too. Lots of pins under soles of feet and in fingers. Bruised feeling elsewhere under skin. You can request special blood test re your Ancas, but often does not show up. Hope you are feeling better now?

• Posted

wow we have the exact same symptoms! is it better yet? If yes please let me know how you got it better! Thanks

• Posted

Hi, you might find this surprising but I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm / nerves related as well. I have had this very same symptoms often, even very acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have them and I focus on them for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having them, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. This made the chest pressure and pain behind breastbone, back, shoulders blades go away completely as it seems that your brain is inducing either muscles spasms in muscles or it triggers the nerves around that side of your body that produces the sensation of pain. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you body becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

• Posted

hi! i just read the string because I had the exact symptoms Chandra described. My symptoms have fluctuated throughout the 3 years of feeling like there's a lump in my throat. For the first year, my doctor assumed I was experiencing allergies or a cold because I told her I had a persistent sore throat, a stuffy nose, the feeling of chest congestion, abnormally bad breath, and later a feeling of a lump in my throat ( she recommended I try claritan, and was not concerned in the slightest). I assumed i just had a weak immune system, especially because i had mononucleosis a few months before, so thought I was just dealing with a persistent cold or something normal. I always felt sick, energy deprived, and truly like I didn't recognize my body anymore, until it just became my new normal. I tried my best to ignore the constant stuffy nose, waking up with a sore throat (that honestly isn't a normal sore throat because after I brush my teeth it somewhat goes away), and just the constant exhaustion and feeling of congestion. Although I tried my best to ignore the symptoms for about a year and a half, i noticed they were getting progressively worse. The feeling of a "lump" in my throat--- that I assumed was clogged nasal drip or something--- got so bad that i could only take little spurts of breaths so that I didn't get the sharp pain in my cheat that always followed (nothing helped not tea, not flonase, vicks under my nose, a humidifier, nothing to clear my sinuses or get rid of the lump; i found what did help a bit was eating or drinking to force the lump lower down my throat, but it never got rid of the lump sensation). My breath was actually unbearable, along with the sore throat, and (prob tmi but whatever) my mucus was sluggish and really thick which I never had before the throat bullsh*t. At night was actually when it got worse for me, i started feeling like i was breathing through a plastic bag with small holes punched through it, my chest felt so heavy that it was easier for me to hold my breath at times, and im definitely forgetting so many other symptoms, but it was such a nightmare that I was probably the most depressed and anxious and scared b/c it felt like doctors wouldnt listen to how abnormal this was. After dealing with the worst of the worst of symptoms for about 2 months--- not being able to sleep much either and trying anything to subside the symptoms--- i finally tried an edible just to have one peaceful night of sleep. (note: ive taken edibles before having any of my symptoms and I know how my body reacts to it--it was just a 5mg dispensary gummy, but i hadnt taken them while i was sick). I fell asleep pretty fast, but the next morning was horrible and was when some of my symptoms changed a bit. I woke up to the sharp pain in my shoulder blade, sharp pain in my chest (felt like i couldnt take a deep/ full breath) that fluctuated to a sharp feeling in my lower left lung, terrible sore throat, and practically everything that i described above, except the lump in my throat felt about halfway up my esophagus instead of being at the base of my esophugus like it always felt before. WARNING TMI AHEAD: I tried gagging up the lump (i couldnt cough it up or throw up to get it out, i had to literally gag reflexed it up my throat), i felt part of it come up but it had hit what felt like my nasal tube because at that point the small piece was stuck and felt like i had to sneeze or something; i started to also have a lot of pressure in my ear along with feeling super dizzy and light-headed and my vision started to get really focalized--- idk how to describe it but i guess when ur about to pass out your eyes starts to only focus on whats right in front as everything around is blurred out or even black. At this point, i knew i had to go to the ER just to make sure I wasnt going to die bc thats what it felt like tbh. went to the ER and told them what was going on, they told me my blood pressure was fine, O2 levels fine, and that i just needed to schedule an apt with a ENT--- which i did. went home feeling crazy, but tried to take my mind off the symptoms and pain by trying to sleep. i ended up falling asleep upright(important) on the couch and woke to the lump back to its typical place: bottom of my esophagus. After a few days of trying to figure out what happened, (my non medical brain, so idek how to prove this) figured what made my lump go up that night was 1. laying horizontally so that gravity didnt keep it in its spot 2. the edible lowers your saliva/mucus(?) production ie drymouth, which for the past year mucus drip and swallowing saliva has been whats been keeping whatever is in my throat where its at; also the mucus drip i assume is causing the sore throat, but i think my body is overproducing mucus bc it's trying go get rid of whatever is stuck(?). back to story: i was frustrated with having to wait another 2 weeks with worse symptoms, that i figured ill try to get the lump out myself again by taking another edible (fckin self medication). THIS TIME IT WORKED; partially. Next morning, ofc felt HORRIBLE but the lump was half way up my throat like predicted; and after leaning over the bed, gagged for like 15min, I finally got a small clump of idek wha it was--- part of it food, white clusters(?), my poor bf (he did witness all the horrors) and i couldnt make out what came out... but we knew it wasnt "post nasal drip," was not fckin acid reflux or anything the doctors were coining it just to get me out of their rooms. symptoms after gagging up part of lump: one side of my nostril is entirely back to normal, i can breath perfectly normal out of one( other side is same congestion story above), only one half of my throat feels "sore" waking up now, and the pressure in my chest left my right side. story: later that day Went to the ENT, told her what happened, had an endoscopy (in one nostril and found nothing abnormal) and she said "its probably post nasal drip most people cough some phlegm up its normal" (thats not how phlegm works if she listened to a millisecond of my story but ok), went to like 4 different doctors and most assumed i was "over-reacting to a cold, post nasal drip, acid reflux etc." found one that finally gave me an xray, and another doctor who ordered a swallow test xray (barium test). took both xrays, nothing abnormal; but for swallow test, no indication of acid reflux either. Went back to ENT for other endoscopy, did both nostrils and she found really thick mucus tripping to which she said, if flonase doesnt work in one month, she'll order a catscan and said "we may have to do a nasal surgery to solve my dripage" ( i think is absolutely off the mark of whats goinf on but im not the doctor i guess/ here for the catscan). Today, 3 years later, still no idea what it is even though ive done reddit readings, medical research about my symptoms, doctor visits, no ond seems to have an answer; the closest ive found is dysphiangia (look it up see if ur symptoms match). recently, my symptoms have been ofc sore throat 3years everyday now, throat gurgling (especially when laying down), ofc bad breath(not as unbearable as before), rundown feeling of sickness, one nasal tube so blocked i cant take a full breath out of just that one, but the lump is now lower in my esophagus or somewhere else because i dont have the persistent feeling of a lump in my throat anymore (but i 10000% know 1/2 is still there on my left side bc the gurgling is getting louder, and still feels so blocked up). IF YOU MADE IT TO THE END OF THIS: please let me know if you found any answers, especially if ur symptoms are similar to mine (i know they are super specific, but just one person going through this too makes this post worth it). Also, please if ur experiencing similar symptoms or feel hopeless about it right now; DONT LET DOCTORS GASLIGHT YOUR EXPERIENCE! i ignored what my body was telling me for so long that i found it normal to hold my breath just to stop the feeling of someone stomping on my chest. what you are experiencing is probably NOT normal, so don't ignore what symptoms u have--- no matter how small or "insignificant" they might be. One thing that i would suggest for anyone not sure what to do, where to start to get help or etc. is to just WRITE your symptoms down; keep track of how they change throughout the day, or when they change if at all, shat relieves some symptoms--- even if its temporary, or even how ur feeling. All of these helps a substantiate what ur going through so that if or when you have a doctor trying to tell you "its nothing, or its a cold, allergies, etc." you can actually challenge them back with inconsistencies from their diagnosis and your symptoms:) good luck and i really hope this helps a little I know its long !

• Posted

sounds like you might have had a tonsil stone.

• Posted

This a hiatal hernia 100%. They're just hard to detect.... That lump that was in the middle of your esophagus, lol that was your stomach. It's a sliding hiatal hernia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.