Maca Root supplements

Posted , 6 users are following.

I ordered a bottle of Maca Root supplements and am awaiting the shipment. In the interim, I read a review of the supplement from two individuals that said it raised their blood pressure. Have any of you ladies who have taken this experienced an increase in BP? I read on a website somewhere that Maca actually lowers BP so I don't know what to believe. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Shar

It never raised mine, doc always says ihave the blood pressure of an athlete.

I have taken maca capsules for 11 years, but i take a break off them like you should.

I shared an article on here about Maca and how it helps. It was the very first thing i took in early peri, and continued as it helped me alot.

I take equiv to 2500mg per day. ( one capsule) rainforest food maca 5.1

Give it time to work, a good month.

Jay xx

• Posted

Thank you Jay. I was reading reviews on Amazon and everyone gave positive responses. Only two people said that it raised theirs. Everyone is different with how they respond to herbs and medications. Hopefully that won't happen to me with the BP issue. I'll let you know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi Jay how are you doing?  Was thinking about you today.  xxoo
    • Posted

Hi Hotdot

I not great, still got shingles and lots of pain that goes with it.

And 3 bulging disks in spine.

Quite fed up, but hay ho that is life.

Hope your keeping well

Jay x

• Posted

Dear Jay hope you will be better soon.  Spring is coming here.  It's -20 Celsius here haha.  We are turning into icicles.  Kinda makes you forget about the damn perimenopause cause we are too busy complaining about the weather instead! haha xxoo
    • Posted

Hi jayneejay, I have been following this forum for a few days now and have just registered!   I am 60 years old.   Went on HRT when I was approx. 52 years old as periods stopped at 50 years.   Could not cope with all the symptoms and holding down a full time stressful job.   I was not getting any rest due to hot flushes night sweats etc.   Anyway I begged the GP at the time to put me on HRT even though I suffered with migraines.   He gave me a low dose pregnant horse urine!   Which worked!   Last June 2014 another GP took me off these due to regular migraines and was sending me to Mini stroke Dept. Of local hospital due to results of a MRI scan!   In the meantime, I had an accident and completely shattered my knee cap therefore it was a good job I came off HRT to avoid blood clots as in full leg plaster and totally immobile for 3-4 months (rotten time) and still not mended which is also hard to live with as I used to be very active.   However, back to the menopause - it wasn't long before all symptoms of menopause reappeared.   I am not getting  sleep due to hot sweats, have regular hot flushes etc.   etc.   Been to GP to beg to go back on HRT to no avail.   Therefore I have tried alternative supplements red clover and soy capsules.    Getting nowhere and decided to come off soy capsules after reading about side effects.  Also I am getting upset stomach and diarhhioa and do know what is causing this!  GP has put me on  SSRIs for hot flushes and given me sleeping tablets, I have given in and taken the antidepressants but reluctant to use the sleeping pills.   I noted all the supplements that you take and am anxious to try these - I have been checking the suppliers today and just ready to order these but would appreciate your views on this.   Many thanks for your response ASAP.   Trish
    • Posted

Hi Tricia 

oh bless you hun, well HRT may help but... It only postpones menopause, when its stopped you get the menopause again, the hormones decline like they wanted to naturally and its back.

i didnt have HRT not ideal for me, but didnt want it anyway..

i am age 50 now and 20 months post meno, had a 10 yer peri, and its been tough at times.. I had the flushes in day years ago and the night sweats and Maca 5.1 ( rainforest food Maca) helped me no end..

i take alsorts tried and tested and they have suited me personally.

however, last summer newly post meno, i had the hot flushes return .. I do live in southern spain which has never affected me before, but the heat was bringing on 20 plus flushes a day.. This lasted months but has now subsided, just hoping it stays that way ..

i took Vit E 400iu daily and still do..

B6 ( 100mg) a must ..i take 150mg daily .. 

Jay x

• Posted

Forgot to say Trisha 

the only tyoe of HRT i do use, as my Gyno suggested is Ovestin ( Estriol) vaginal Ovules, for vag dryness, and ovestin cream for outer bits ..

dryness been a nuisance for me, but this really helps, it only treats that, its doesnt enter blood stream or illiminate other symptoms 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay,   have just sent a long message which has not been allowed as I think I mentioned a Company name so it has been sent to a moderator.

i thought you used magnesium also?

i looked up the rainforest foods organic maca and there was a "gelatinise" version ?

do you think I should still take the anti depressants until I start on the supplements.  I am not depressed just exhausted with the flushes and sweats and resulting lack of sleep!  The GP gave me the anti depressants to help with the flushes.

I also take Naratriptan tablets for my migraines and read on the Migraine Forum that Magnesium can help these!

i am going on holiday on 2nd April to Malaga so am running out of time to try to control these symptoms so would really appreciate your views.

Tricia. X

• Posted

Hi Tricia

Yes i take a few other vits , i take plenty each day, which help me personally.

Yes i take Solgar Chelated Magnesium

And other ones too.

Jay.

• Posted

Hi Jay,  

I have just received my vitamins (but still awaiting delivery of the Maca Root supplements which should arrive tomorrow).

I will take the Solgar Chelated Magnesium before bedtime tonight - do I need to take 4 of these tablets?

Have already started on the Menopol Plus and decided NOT to continue with the anti-depressants!   

Do You think the Estriol ovules you taking are helping with Menopause symptoms as they are a form of HRT?

Tricia.   x

• Posted

Hi Jay

sorry ME again!

Further to my above posts - I am not sure whether I am peri or post Menopause.

I do not know what dosages of magnesium I should take and also do not know if I am deficient in B12 - although I have already bought the supplements.

I do get acid reflux and therefore have been taking Lanzoprazol for a long time as I have a sliding hiatus hernia!  As I suffer tfrom migraines it would be GREAT if the MAGNESIUM could solve these so I wouldn't have to take

Naratriptan.

hope you are well.  Your help is invaluable as I do not have anyone else I can talk to.   This forum is so great to see other people understand the symptoms

Take care.     Thanks in advance.   

Tricia.  X

• Posted

Hi Tricia 

No Ovestin Estriol vaginal Ovules only treat vaginal dryness, they do not enter blood stream or act like HRT in any other way.

i have a mild womb prolapse and dryness so these ovules are vital for me.

they do not help with any other symptoms .

Solar Chelated says 4 x 100mg per day..

thats the usual dose .. Approx 400mg.

its up to you if you want to stick to 4 per day.

try and take two an hour before you go to bed, as they aid a good nights sleep too, relaxing ..

jay x

• Posted

Hi tricia 

have you had a period lately ? 

When you have not had a period for 12 to 14 months after peri then you are post menopause 

jay x

• Posted

Ovestin vaginal estriol ovules also help with sensitive bladder issues post meno ..

everything drys out post meno as hormones are low low low..

my Gyno suggested Ovestin ( Ovestinon here ) 

also i have ovestin vaginal cream, which i use occassionly for the outer bits and around vaginal entrance to keep all elastic and hydrated etc ..

The ovules i actually cut in half while still in sealed blister wrap ( or they crumble) and i only use half an ovule twice a week at night bedtime, so it goes to work while i sleep and rest.

ovules are lovely, they are not messy and i feel the relief straight away, soothing etc 

jay x

• Posted

I'm going to bed soon and praying to God asking for a new vagina. xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.