Making changes & need advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

First of all, I want to apologize for not being on the forum for quite awhile. I've been in a depression since the nalrexone side effects. I was praying that would work.

Anyway, I called off work yesterday.  This is the second time in 2 months. So, I know things are slowly getting worse.

I've decided that I'm going to give it one more try cold turkey and if I do not suceed I'm going inpatient.  

I seen my outpatient counselor today and we've both agreed I've been missing one important thing everytime I try to quit and that's a "speed dial" support system.  So, since I do not go to AA I do realize I need to use the phone more often and stop thinking I'm burdening people with my problems.  I've put my daughter and 2 close on that list to call WHEN I feel the cravings hit.  

I've also decided to start getting outside more often.  

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me with my support system?  

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kelly. Sorry I've not been around to help but been in hospital twice in the last 3 days, as you may have read. I love misssys soothe bag. 1. A good book 2. A good film 3. Borrow a dog to walk( preferably an old persons, there are web sites in UK available.4 Bake a malt loaf..lol !!. 5.The jigsaw think( love that idea)6.Go and have a cuppa with an old person. I love that too! Exercise. Well that's  a few to be going on with. Horse riding though I realise it's expensive ( though cheaper than the devils poison). Lots of love to you xx
    • Posted

So sorry Paper! I feel bad that I haven't been on here in awhile. I hope you're doing better! A lot of good ideas that I've tried, am already doing or should do. Like I said, I spend my day with old people and jigsaw puzzles. This morning I just wanna crawl in a hole. Feel like throwing up. Its been a long time since I felt this bad. Thinking I should get my liver checked. Something all alcoholics just enjoy sad. Trying to get energy to get off the couch and get ready for work. If I don't do something now I'll lose my job. Although I haven't been approached yet with my missing days I do feel it coming. Thanks and feel better paper! Blessings!
  • Posted

I'm reaching out with a hug.  I know the 'poinless' feeling.

I know that practical advice isn't going to resonate because you've probably thought of everything.  I know alcoholism and logic aren't friends.

But we are with you today and praying for the ray of light that will cheer you up and give you new energy xx

• Posted

Thank you alexandra!  You're right.  I probably have thought of everything.  Looking for the needle in the haystack I suppose. 

Thanks for the prayers.  Starting my new journey once again on Thursday.  06-16-16.  I've tried lucky numbers so let's go with unlucky ones, lol.  Will keep in touch!

• Posted

Hi Kelly. How are you doing now? I'm day 2 so just catching up on forum. Thinking of you and sending you blessings xxx
    • Posted

Hi Paper. I'm on day 2 also. Feeling a bit blah! Just spent time with family but it got overwhelming. Going home to watch a movie and get ready for work tomorrow. I wasn't scheduled but thought work will help keep me busy. Blessings to you too Paper! Let's do this together. smile
    • Posted

Yep. We will do this together. Not sure what's going on but we all seem to be relapsing. Must be a full moon or something!!!

Let's check in everyday and support eachother.,.lots of love XX

• Posted

Paper, I almost went off this forum until you messaged me.  I see so much relapsing that it's kind of depressing.  I know it's difficult - GOD DO I KNOW!  I've been trying for a year now.  But, I come on here and everyone is trying to be supportive but then "most" (not all) end of relapsing.  I just feel down.  

I'm all in for for checking in every day!  I do not wanna go to rehab again! But, I'm 46 years old and tired of being an active addict!  

Blessings to both of us!  

• Posted

Insomnia set in..grrr! We are here to support each other so hope you sleep well and catch tomorrow xx
    • Posted

Sleep is one thingredients I do better when I am not drinking. Hubby and I just had an argument. I walked up and down the driveway. He followed me. I asked do I need a f'ing bodyguard? I know he was trying to make up. I came in and got a hot bath. 2 days down. Night Paper!
    • Posted

I meant one thing I do better. New phone. Lol
  • Posted

Still awake 😡 Lol !!! So sorry you're still awake too and you've got work tomorrow. And very sorry you and partner have had a row. He should be encouraging you now you're trying to stay sober.

Really worried about our friend misssy.

Anyway, you try and sleep..nite nite xx

• Posted

I'm still awake, horrible isn't it? I'm worried about misssy too
    • Posted

Going to bed now. Hoping for 5 hours of sober sleep. My husband is very encouraging. He just has a moody wife tonight lol. I am worried about Missy too! Hoping to hear better news when I wake up. Goodnight Paper!
  • Posted

Vickylou. Ffs it's a bloody nightmare. Don't think I will be getting any sleep tonight. Need some blumin sleeping tablets but the friggin paramedics took them all. Even my sominex ( non prescription). 

How are you Vickylou? I'm day 2. How's you getting on?

Its horrible when you don't hear from people, especially misssy as she's so important on this site and always gives us all a laugh. Praying for her 🙏..gosh birds are singing and it's getting light. Not eaten for 2 days either apart from soup!!! Anyway hope you get some sleep. I've given up for tonight xx

• Posted

Do any any of us sleep normally ?

I'm having one of my "no sleep at all" nights.

It would drive you mad.

• Posted

I listened to REM's Everybody Hurts, a while ago.  We certainly do !
    • Posted

Yep. One of my fav songs. Have you seen "when a man loves a woman with meg Ryan is an alcoholic as that song is the sound track? You awake too? Xx
    • Posted

Yes it is a nightmare. I must have nodded off at 4am for hour and a half. Sleeping tablets don't work for me. Took one at 11pm last night, nothing. Took another at 1am and still nothing.

only thing that knocks me out (apart from wine!) is cough mixture, and that's addictive.

Im doing ok drink wise. Had a couple of bottles of wine with hubby this week, and still do social drinking. Last binge was April.. Not drunk alone since then. Not taking any medication at moment.

take it you didn't get your things back from hospital then?

i will sleep tonight as we are going to a party, so will have had some wine. Are you back on naltrexone.

I thought of you the other day. My daughter phoned me to say she had hurt her back and couldn't get in at dr's. A colleague had given her some tablets and she said she now felt funny and weird. I asked her what they were, and she said back something or other. I said to her "please don't tell me they're baclofen, " she went to look and yes they were! She's 27 ffs, why on earth would she take someone else's tablets. Anyway two days later, she felt better, back still a problem but weirdness gone! Kids eh lol!

stay in touch, if you hear from misssy, will you let me know please. Keep on getting better, two af days is great. Your apertite will soon come back. Used to take me at least 3 days of nothing but water.

• Posted

Funny you mention that movie Paper.  When I came out of rehab in 2002 I watched that movie and then continued to watch it every year on my anniversary.  I could use a refresher on it.  Thanks for reminding me of it!  Hope you got some sleep!   My body works opposite.  When I drink anxiety kicks in and I get no sleep and when I don't drink I am able to sleep.  I got 5-1/2 straight hours of sleep before going to work soon.  Thinking of you!  I'm worried about myself after work which is why I need to come up with a plan on what to do to occupy my time.  Blessings!
    • Posted

I like that song too!  

I guess I am blessed in the sleep department.  Anxiety totally kicks in when I'm drinking.  Then when I'm not I sleep better.  Wondering why I'm different in that aspect but I've read how alcohol can be terrible for sleep and cause insomnia.  I hit that category.  Praying YOU ALL are able to sleep soon.  Have a blessed day!

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

My sleep problem is a cracker..... I can't sleep whether I drink or not.

2 hours asleep, in the morning... is par for the course.

No wonder I get bad-tempered !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Alonangel!  

Hoping you find something that helps you sleep!  

I was bad tempered last evening with my husband just because I'm trying to find things to do each day to take my mind off drinking.  He loves me but tends to forget this is about me not him.  And I have to remind myself at least he's willing to do something to help me.  Somehow I've gotta stop being a b**ch and meet him in the middle!

Off to work!  Blessings & praying for sleep for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.