Mini-Monovision Range for Near and Intermediate

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I have cataract surgery scheduled for my left eye in a week, to be followed later by my right eye. I prefer having near vision over distance, so I am aiming for mini-monovision to provide near and intermediate vision. I am going with monofocals (Technis) to reduce the possibility of night vision artifacts.

I was thinking of -2.50 for my left eye and -1.50 for my right, but my eye surgeon strongly recommended targeting 2.00 for the left and -1.00 for the right. He said his patients who chose to be more myopic than that have not been happy with their range of vision. I agreed to go with his recommendation, but now I’m having second thoughts. If I have this right, targeting -2.50 to -1.50 would provide best focus at approximately 16 inches (40cm) to 26 inches (67cm), while -2.00 to -1.00 would provide best focus at 20 inches (50cm) to 39 inches (1m).

With the difference between -2.50 and -2.00 only being 4 inches (10cm), I wonder if -2.50 to -1.00 would be that much more difficult to adapt to than -2.00 to -1.00.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update: I had the surgery on my left eye 3 days ago. I was alert during the surgery. They said I would not remember the procedure later, but I remember it all. There was one painful moment, so I think maybe they didn't get the anesthesia or numbing drops right.

The doctor targeted -2.00 and I think it's pretty close to that. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm happy about that as I'm not able to read very small text with that eye, including some of the text on my phone. But other than that, I'm thrilled with the new vision. I'm amazed at the range the monofocal is providing. I thought there would be a rapid drop-off with the depth of field, but I'm able to read the small writing on my 32" television 10 feet away and even see details 50 yards away that that my right eye sees as a big blur. If the other eye were the same, I think I could drive without glasses, at least locally. Night vision is also crisp and clear.

• Posted

Update #2: I had my follow-up appointment about a week ago and found out that I ended up at -1.50. I went in asking for -2.5, but the doctor said his patients weren't happy with less than -2.0, so I agreed to that. When I saw him last week, he said he targeted -1.8 and I ended up at -1.5. I'm annoyed that he targeted -1.8 when we had agreed to -2.0.

Now I need readers for close-up vision and glasses for distance vision. I can change my planned target for my right eye to -2.0 or -2.25 instead of -1.0 to hopefully take care of the close-up vision, but I'm also now thinking about targeting -.50 to provide more distance vision instead. Since I can read all but the tiniest type at about 20 inches, I won't need readers very often. I could also consider going for plano in my right eye, but that might be pushing the comfort zone for monovision.

• Posted

That sounds like a reasonable plan. As you can see from first surgery target not easy to achieve and can be off .25 either way during healing process. Will the 2nd surgery be on your dominant eye?

• Posted

Glad your first surgery went well, BobDob. I had a similar experience with the "target," finding out in the pre-op room an hour before surgery that the surgeon's target was -1.75 after I thought we had agreed on -1.5. I found out it has to do with the fixed denominations of the IOLs, matched with your particular biometrics. Anyhow, I asked if I could switch to the next one up (-1.39) and she said no problem.Ended up overcorrected at -1.0 initially, which I actually liked (although like you, I was a little concerned I'd lost too much near vision at first). Now it's -1.25 (with some mild PCO affecting all distances - other eye holding at -1.5 with a small cataract). Do you have to rush into the next surgery? If I were you, I'd want to hold off a bit for two reasons; 1) Your vision might change after a few weeks and 2) You might want want a little more time to adjust to the new vision. For example, if you've been near-sighted for a long time, your habit might be to move things up close, but it takes a while to get in the habit of holding things further away. Good lighting is super important as well. I thought I'd need readers, but never use them (only my phone magnifier for the occasional teeny serial number or something). Reading the newspaper is fine. So hard to know in your situation whether to go with more distance, or more near vision. It kind of depends on your lifestyle, and which end of the range is most important during a typical day. Either way, you'll be seeing so much better than with those cataracts! Best of luck with your continued recovery and upcoming surgery.

• Posted

Bella - I agree with you fully. It's usually best to wait for vision to stabilize before doing the second eye. Also, it can take time to retrain your brain to hold things a little further away. Most of the time I now hold my phone and other reading material around 12"-14" rather than 5" from my eyes. Also, when reading medicine bottles or really small print there are usually three options that work for me. I can either try using my LED from my phone which is usually quickest or I can pull out the credit card magnifier between my silicon phone case and my phone or I can find some reading glasses which I almost never need to do. Also, if the lighting is really good (ie: daylight with the blinds open) then I easily read much smaller print. But it is really amazing how much easier it is to read really small print with the LED light with my phone. Like you said, most should see so much better than with cataracts. Amazing science we have today compared to decades ago.

• Posted

All very good points BellaD. I have read that healing takes a full 6 weeks and adapting to new vision can take as much 6 months for some. Even though a pain to get through I am glad there was 6 weeks between my surgeries. Good lighting seems to be a need no matter what the lens type. Haven't used a magnifier but have use flashlight feature on my iPhone. Did get readers and have used them for tiny white lettering on red or green backgrounds. For whatever reason that color combo isn't best for me.

It has been just over a year since I saw my optometrist. Going in next month so I am curious about any changes that may have taken place.

Question for you - what do you notice differently with pco? Not sure what to watch out for.

• Posted

Thanks, all. The second surgery will be in my dominant (right) eye. I haven't scheduled it yet. I wanted to wait in order to further acclimate to the new vision in my left eye and give it more time to heal, plus its a busy period for me with the upcoming holidays and with family activities. However, I don't want to wait too long because the vision in my right eye is pretty poor in comparison. The new vision in my left eye has mostly taken over for now, but I do get eye strain in my right eye whenever I read for more than a couple of minutes.

Bella, maybe the surgeon targeting -1.80 in my case was for the same reason your surgeon targeted -1.75, but I think surgeons should communicate with patients when there will be a different target than discussed. The biggest complaint I have with my surgeon is his lack of communication. If I don't ask about something, it won't be discussed. And even when I ask, his answers are short. I went to him because he has a lot of experience, has impressive credentials, and is highly recommended by other doctors, but I have since read reviews by other patients who had complaints about his communication and his stubbornness. I might think about going to another surgeon for my second eye.

I'm finding the same as all of you that maybe I won't need readers if I have a magnifier with me when I need to read small type. I bought credit-card-size magnifiers online and they should work fine for occasional short stretches of small type. However, I just opened a hardback novel and it seems like it might be a little difficult to read for a long period, both because of the distance I have to hold it and because the clarity isn't ideal. That's not a huge problem as I actually prefer to read ebooks on my tablet or laptop, which provide better contrast and can increase the font size if needed.

• Posted

Hi Sue.An; regarding PCO: Right after surgery and for a few months I could read the small digital clock on the cable box, and generally could take or leave the glasses when watching TV. Gradually, I noticed I could no longer read the digital clock and started needing glasses to read the sports scores and movie credits. Reading and computer also just seem a little more of a strain. All sort of subtle changes. When I went in to see the surgeon I could read the 20/20 line with my glasses, and she only saw evidence of "mild" PCO, so the recommendation was no YAG. After reading some of the complications on other threads here, I guess I'll just "wait and see" (ha, ha, pun not intended). Other cataract might be worsening a bit, too. Good luck with your exam!

• Posted

Hi BobDob,

From what I've gathered from these forums and personal experience, it is pretty common for cataract surgeons to avoid discussing details about the exact target numbers, etc. After all, it is not an exact science, and outcome variability is inherent. I'm guessing they don't want anything they say to come back to bite them, so to speak.

Although I generally prefer docs with good bedside manner and communication skills, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss your surgeon, especially if the surgery went well and he has lots of experience and good surgical reputation. I'd try to get whatever questions you have answered for sure, and try to use your own judgment to some extent on the target (that's what I did). After that, get the person with the best surgical skills. It's not likely someone you'll have a long-term relationship with (assuming all goes well!).

• Posted

Good advice, Bella. Thanks. I'll probably follow it, but it's just that it's hard to get any discussion out of my doctor. For example, when I asked him about Lasik correction because the result was .05 diopter off the target, he simply said "no." I'll just need to ask "why" about everything and confirm the target at the time of surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.