Mirtazapine for agitated anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

was given two years ago. Hasnt done much for my anxiety which was the real problem. Now decided to lower dose.  Have gone from 15 to 7.5 to 3.75 using cutter. Now trying to lower.  Sleep very erratic and feel strange, as if i am not so doped.  Dr gave me valium 2 years ago, I take 5mg night and try to manage on 3mg day.

Dont think i am depressed as such but anxiety still there. Frightened of normal things like going to visit friends, relatives, shopping in large areas, cinema. Theatre, all things i would normally do before all,this.

i just feel weird, not quite all here and the anxiety is being controlled by the valium alone. How do I find myself again without all these fears?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/over-100-symptoms-associated-with-anxiety-479538

• Posted

Yes, amazing.  That happened to me.  Dr said frozen shoulder get physio. Six weeks later im in a and e with double pulmonary embolisms and couldnt breathe.  Now have to be on warfarin and anxiety and deoression wont leave, tried several ssris make me somill cant tolerate them. What he will give me next i dont know, or is the anxiety and depression part of pulmomary embolisms and warfarin?
    • Posted

Oh you poor thing, you  really have been unfortunate and again a cruddy GP service.  At least I did have an ultrasound to confirm the shoulder and have since learned and confirmed by rheumatology there is a connection with thyroid and frozen shoulders, although now physio are suggesting arthritis and I should have x-ray but not so soon after spinal x-ray.

?Anyway, getting back to you, it's no wonder you are going through all of this and obviously the drugs you are being given for anxiety are not doing any good.  I picked this off "The Clot Spot" -

"Recovery Expectations And Time

Pulmonary embolism survivors will have very different recovery experiences based on the amount of damage that was done by the clots.  Some patients have a small clot and were diagnosed immediately while others had multiple, large clots that were not diagnosed until the patient collapsed.  Survivors need to know that recovery is very individual.

The best advice for the recovery period is to have patience and to stay in communication with the medical team regarding symptoms and concerns.  Symptoms will often come and go throughout recovery.  If symptoms reappear or are bothersome, the primary care physician should be notified.  The patient may also wish to consider going to the emergency room to ensure that no new clots have appeared.

Recovery times vary greatly.  On HubPages, an informal study notes that while only 9% of patients will feel fully recovered in less than a month, 68% will feel recovered by two years.  Illness or stress during recovery can set back recovery by days to months depending on the severity of the situation.  A simple cold will hit someone in recovery much harder than a typical person.  Allergies or changes in the weather can also impact recovery.  Cold dry air or damp air seem to cause symptom flares in some individuals.

As mental health can be severely impacted by a pulmonary embolism, patients should speak with their primary care physician about any anxiety or depression problems.  Trying to participate in day to day activities can be very stressful for someone in recovery.  Also, many survivors are faced with the challenge of understanding why he or she survived a life threatening condition.  Panic attacks and post traumatic stress syndrome may also be a problem.  Counseling and or medication are reported by many survivors to be very helpful in the recovery period"

• Posted

I'll send you a support group link.  I am generally not into happy clappy type groups but sometimes comparing notes with others does help.  Thyroid group have been invaluable to me. Elaine

• Posted

Thanks so much.  I am sure the emergency admission with p.e's has done a lot of this, along with the warfarin, almost feel i want to not take it tomsee but thats dangerous. Three years since embolisms, three years of anxiety/dep!  Support group may help,thanks. meanwhile awaiting which horrendous anti dep will be given at next psych appt while i try to get through my days counting the minutes.

• Posted

I am no better, been to see dietitian who has suggested i cut out wheat and gluten and go lactose free for a bit to see if it helps the ibs.  Anxiety still high but next appt at gp will be suggesting T3 and i know she will look at me and think oh no, not another thing!   I know i have anxiety and depression but i do feel theres something at the root of it. My p.e. has settled down, taking the warfarin but my general health is just the pits.   Do you think my gp will refer me to a private endocrinologist if I ask?  Thanks for the info about finger prick test - may end up on that route!  i am an educated and normally sharp person like you but feel the system is letting me down.   Yes, my anxiety is high, but what else is at play they dont want to know. Just keep offering more anti deps.
    • Posted

Saw gp yesterday. Did full blood  ounts and basic throid (not what i asked for) and says all within normal levels!  I then asked about t3 and t4 and she just ignored me. I think i will have to go down private route for these, i think its by post.  Someone mentioned Genova.  Meanwhile she suggested i try to get off mirtazapine  and it could be done slowly over a month! I am flabbergasted atnthe ifnorance.  It seems it takes ages for others with all sorts of side effects.  I am on 7.5 but was on 15.   Hoping you are still around for advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.