Mirtazapine withdrawal horrendous

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi!  I have been off and on Mirtazapine several times over the past 14 years.  I have also taken Gabapentin (off 2 years), Zoplicone (off 2 years), and Seroquel (off 11 months).  I have now been off the Mirtazapine for 4.5 months and the w/d symptoms have been horrific (chronic insomnia, burning, tingling, numbness, vibrations throughout body and head, adrenaline surges, depersonalization/derealisation, myoclonic jerks, burning brain, feeling like I'm either going 2 drop dead or go insane at any moment and the list goes on.  I have had a few windows the past couple of weeks, but it very soon goes back to being extremely debilitating, painful, terrifying and horrendous).  I am feeling extremely weak, exhausted and hopeless. 

Has anyone else suffered so horrendously getting off this poison and if so what did you do to manage your symptoms so they were at least tolerable?  As I am extremely paradoxical to almost all psych meds and a ton of other pharmaceuticals, going back on any drugs is out of the question.  I don't want to have to live through another w/d like this for as long as I live which may not be much longer if I soon don't start getting some regular sleep.  At best now I might get 2 hours per week.  Please answer as I am desperately in need of some advice and support as I am getting weaker by the day.  Thank you.

3 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i am afraid i am still behind you in these stakes but i am having the suffering at early stage.  Two years on 7.5, ouldnt get higher.  Now cutting slowly down but the sleep,is already bad and i have a constant internal shakiness, along with all other symptoms of depression and anxiety.  I am usind diazepam but its not really doing much. If i go back to pdoc i know he will give another of these which i cant stand.  My life is on hold and its affecting my whole family too.  Where should i go from here, back up, stay  or drop off.  I dont think i can survive what you are going through.  Windows and waves rhey say, i only get waves.
  • Posted

WOW Barbara, what a terrible ride you have had.  It has been said that Mirt' is the devils medicine and for you I gues that is true.  I've read of many folk who have had the symptoms you have had, what I don't figure out is why some people suffer so much more than others ... DNA I suppose.  

Like you, I suffered with insomnia, but I couldn't and haven't been able to work out if it was actually WD or my old pre-Mirt symptoms returning as it started 3 months after stopping Mirt.

What dose did you quit at Barbara?  I think that is important ??

• Posted

Calmer you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. I don't know what to do! I am in agony at one month off mirt, I was pretty ok them wham at the 4 week mark anxiety through the roof, mental anguish, racing thoughts, afraid to fall asleep, etc. I am so terrified. Please tell me it gets better!

• Posted

Yes this is hell.  I wake with such anxiety every morning and then today nausea. Taken diazepam and anti nausea pill so hope it will pick up.  Been out for a walk but still anxious.mental anguish is the worst.  Is there nothing they can give for all this?

hope you are better than me still at 1.88 and not feeling any better after several weeks.

• Posted

I think all that will help is time. I can't handle any more psych drugs. I have ativan but my doctor told me to try to avoid taking it. I'm so scared.

• Posted

Hi Sunshine

Feel for you; of course it will get better, everyone is different so no one can say when the anxiety will clear.  The windows grow and the waves subside for sure, and then you get the odd wave, and then you feel well, and so it goes on.  What dose did you stop at Sunshine? 

The only thing (non drug) to try to ease the anxiety is to try and lean into it, it takes practice, did you look at the Dare response . com at all ?  There is a support group on facebook; I know its not GAD you have (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) but anxiety is anxiety, learning and reassuring ourselves that it cannot really harm us is key to relieving it.  Also meditation might help, look on You Tube for sleep meditations or look for Michael Seeley there - see what works for you.  

Best wishes, hope you get some relief soon smile  

• Posted

DANG ... my message got blown off as I mentioned another website probably.  I sent you a message.
    • Posted

I am concerned as i now have nausea and tummy upsets on days now. Makes me feel down, got through the initial lowering but wondering if this loss of appetite etc is next part of what i will get or is there something else going on.
  • Posted

Hi, i am trying to get off this and have got down to 3.75 but find myself so nauseous with rightnside pain as well as the mental torture.

have you had any physical problems like me. I wonder if i have another problem alongside this one. I feel sick so much  and have intermittent diahorrea, dont really have any appetite either.

i have tried similar meds to you but i have the same problems with them all, so like you i am not willing tomtry any others.  I just want the life affecting symptoms to go.

i am unable to go,down herbal route due to warfarin use.

• Posted

Hi... I am so sensitive neurological to thease kind of meds... I was on mirtazapine for 2 yrs and I came of them with ease but only by using lorazepam. I recently stupidly started taking them again due to chronic insomnia.  4 days I lasted. You would have thought I had ms or Parkinson's desiease the side effects were so bad.. Let me tell you even after just 4 days I'm having bizare effects.. Today is day 4 off and I've been like a brain dead zombie.. Severe adrenal surges,  uncordinated limbs, severe sponge head jolts shakes ear preasure and I feel like im dying.. Never underestimate this drug.. It's worse if you are already compramised in the adrenals. Never felt so ill from head to toe even my hair feels sick.. Shocking after just a few day's on them.. I'm a mess... Can't sleep at all now and I'm just drowsy... Good luck all I know from experience it will pass but vile just vile... 

• Posted

I couldn't agree with you more. Mirtazapine is a nasty drug.  I experienced a lot of the same WD effects you have, brain/body zaps, uncoordinated limbs, etc.  I was on 7.5 mg and reduced all the way down to 1.875 mg before discontinuing completely.  Like you, WD effects seemed to really manifest 3-4 days after discontinuation.

• Posted

Hello Barbara are you there do you have Facebook and want to talk on messenger 

I was on Ativan Remeron and seroquel I have the same symptoms as you for so long now seven months 

• Posted

i am also getting off Remeron, seroquel i binned three years ago.  I need a benzo to sleep. I am lowering mirtaz slowly now at 1.88 but feel terrible.   Surely this cannot go on for so many months.  Do you take anything for sleep?

i am on a mirtazapine withdrawals facebook site, you have to be invited and i could ask if you like?

• Posted

I sent you a PM 

Also yes sick for seven months feel brain dwsd

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.