Mirtazapine withdrawal horrendous

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi!  I have been off and on Mirtazapine several times over the past 14 years.  I have also taken Gabapentin (off 2 years), Zoplicone (off 2 years), and Seroquel (off 11 months).  I have now been off the Mirtazapine for 4.5 months and the w/d symptoms have been horrific (chronic insomnia, burning, tingling, numbness, vibrations throughout body and head, adrenaline surges, depersonalization/derealisation, myoclonic jerks, burning brain, feeling like I'm either going 2 drop dead or go insane at any moment and the list goes on.  I have had a few windows the past couple of weeks, but it very soon goes back to being extremely debilitating, painful, terrifying and horrendous).  I am feeling extremely weak, exhausted and hopeless. 

Has anyone else suffered so horrendously getting off this poison and if so what did you do to manage your symptoms so they were at least tolerable?  As I am extremely paradoxical to almost all psych meds and a ton of other pharmaceuticals, going back on any drugs is out of the question.  I don't want to have to live through another w/d like this for as long as I live which may not be much longer if I soon don't start getting some regular sleep.  At best now I might get 2 hours per week.  Please answer as I am desperately in need of some advice and support as I am getting weaker by the day.  Thank you.

3 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi.  I was on Mirt for one month.  7.5 mg for a few weeks and then started tapering down to 3.5 and 1.87 mg.  I have been off the drug completely for about 1 week.  I just want to know if others have experienced these side effects:

brain zaps - like an electrical surge through your brain.

Body zaps -- sometimes effects extremities and causes a reflex action.

Fingers will involuntarily move.  Also, this will happen at many other body locations, like the muscle is involuntarily activated.

Hand tremor

I am now having some difficulty sleeping.  I am taking Ativan 0.5 mg at night.  Now waking up early, e.g., 4 am, but sometimes earlier.  I am contemplating a sleep aid such as doxepin or trazaodone.

I am worried that these side effects will be permanent..  This drug is scary.  I would never have gone on it knowing what I know now.  Need your insight.  I'm going through a really bad time in my life right now. Thx.  John

• Edited

Hi Barbara 

I am struggling with this horrendous drug also. I have felt exactly like you and still not really any better after 6 months. I dropped from 30 to 15 and am suffering terribly. Would you mind me asking you how you are now and have you managed to get it out of your system. I have just started cannabis oil as a last attempt to feel normal again. 

Much love 

Caroline 

• Posted

So sorry to hear you are suffering.  Iam six months off now and still get some effects,  for me gastrointestinal.  Time is great healer if you manage symptoms down slowly then you will be ok. I would love to hear how you get on with cbd oil as i havent tried it yet

• Edited

Hi Caroline

For what it’s worth try and hold on and keep going.  I know how very hard it is to stop this evil drug. And 6 months after stopping I was still suffering mainly with insomnia.  It does get better.  Just know that many people like you and I will experience protracted withdrawals from this drug.  Don’t be disheartened by all the rubbish that doctors say namely that there are no withdrawals or they will disappear after 12 weeks.  I battled for at least 10 months.  Some days were better than others.  Just know it will get better.  You may feel it never will but it will.  After a long and hard battle I’m drug free and intend to stay that way.

10 months later I needed help with sciatic nerve pain down my left leg.  I asked my GP for temporary pain relief as I had to make a long journey in a car and couldn’t sit down.  They offered me amitriptyline; which is mirtazapine by a different  name.  I couldn’t believe it.  I refused.  I have absolutely no faith in the medical professionals whatsoever.

• Posted

Caroline, I’m struggling badly after dropping from 30 to 15 as well. What are your symptoms? Have you noticed any improvements? 
    • Posted

Hi holly 

I seem to have so many symptoms but mainly I feel like my insides are on fire , my head is buzzing like mad. My insides seem to be shaking and I just feel totally not myself. My whole personality has gone. It has been 3 months now and all I want to do is come off it but I darnt drop it any more. My friend has got me on cannabis oil three days ago which I am taking twice a day and I probably feel slightly better. I wouldn’t wish my last 3 months on my worst enemy. 

Keep in touch holly. We will get through this. Xxx

• Posted

I hear you. I’m at the 3 month mark too. I don’t want to drop any further either, I don’t think it’s wise. I have the internal trembling as well. The anxiety is the worst and recently feeling lack of pleasure/numb, very scary. Had none of this before this drug. sad sad  xxx
    • Posted

I also get a lot of hot sweats especially at nights   , like an adrenalin rush.   drs have a lot to answer for not warning you of all this. 
    • Posted

Thank you, i look forward to hearing if its worth me trying it as i still have anxiety post mirtazapine, and can be a bit agitated.  The oil was recommended by others on the site and imhave got it from holland and barrett so await hearing.
  • Posted

Did u suffer tingling sensations over ur body with withdrawls. I feel like my chest head and arms are tingly hink its anxiety with cpming off mirtz for 2 days. Ended up takin a 15m15mg last night to try sleep

• Posted

I must be incredibly lucky . I was on it for over a decade 30-45mg . The last year I was at 30mg and didn't feel like I was getting any benefits. My doctor had me take 15mg for two weeks and then stop all together. I do have some mild symptoms including the most intense itching I've ever had.

I think that I'm doing better than most because I take Strattera and Ritalin for ADHD and those seem to be taking up any slack . .

• Posted

I must be incredibly lucky . I was on it for over a decade 30-45mg . The last year I was at 30mg and didn't feel like I was getting any benefits. My doctor had me take 15mg for two weeks and then stop all together. I do have some mild symptoms including the most intense itching I've ever had.

I think that I'm doing better than most because I take Strattera and Ritalin for ADHD and those seem to be taking up any slack . .

• Posted

Much of the discussion surrounding WD from mirtazapine tends to focus upon what the drug has done to you other than the underlying issues of depression/anxiety that has always existed. I wouldn't suggest cold turkey, but after a month the average human being should feel more like themselves (i.e. not dwelling on the fact they took it for so many months /years) Take CBD oil, exercise intensively at least five days a week, and chant nam-yo-ho-renge-kyo two hours everyday with precise consistency - I guarantee your problems will dissolve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.