Mirtazapine Withdrawal Week 7 report

Posted , 7 users are following.

Today makes 7 weeks since the last dose of Mirtazapine. I am still sick. I feel a little better at times, but mostly: abdominal pain & cramps, nausea, anxiety, blood pressure and heart rate problems, headaches, weak, fatigue, vertigo, and generally sick. Some are not as bad as it has been, but I am still sick and miserable. I have been to the ER twice since this started because it has been so bad that I thought I had a serious health problem. It is hard to believe that I am still sick with this after 7 weeks of suffering. I had a complete lab workup, x-rays, and kidney function test. Anyone else suffering this long? Prayers are appreciated. David

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well I can't match your 7 weeks withdrawal, but I can relate to the withdrawal symptoms. I've been chipping about a quarter off a 15 mg tablet (I take 2), once a week, then twice a week, then every 3 days. The withdrawal effects didn't kick in for about 2 weeks but they've been getting rapidly worse. I could just about cope with the brain zaps and churning tummy, and I was feeling remarkably cheerful, but the muscle spasms have exhausted my muscles and today I'm having problems walking. Because of my chronic fatigue syndrome (ME) my muscles get weak when too tired. So I've declared a strategic retreat, not a surrender, and will be taking the full 30 mg until things settle down. Then I'll try again, even more slowly. I do hope you soon get relief, I'll be thinking of you and I can sympathise. Pixie.
    • Posted

Pixie, hang in there. Never give up. This has been one of the hardest things that I have ever dealt with.
  • Posted

Hi David,

I have been off of mirtazapine for a few months now and I have only just started to feel normal again. I mainly suffered with depression and major anxiety since coming off the stuff but I also had stomach issues etc.

It felt like it was never going to get any better but eventually it did. You will get better, I know it is extremely frustrating but you will feel better. Sounds like you are doing well and the spells of feeling better will get longer and longer till eventually you feel yourself majority of the time. Hang in there and just ride it out and everything will be fine smile

• Posted

Thank you for the encouraging reply. That is what has kept me going. Thanks to you all! David
    • Posted

Sandy, I have had awful abdominal spasms and fatigue since this morning. Like you put in your post to me, it feels like it will never go away. I go back and read replies that members have sent to me, and to others, and that is what keeps me going. My bowels are churning so loadly that you can hear it in the next room. Thanks Again, David
    • Posted

Morning David,So my prayers are not helping you.lol

You keep it up your doing great considering you went cold turkey from 7.5 braver than me.  Your in good hands with your wife. Take care 

• Posted

The churning went away for me after a few weeks. I lost my appetite for the same amount of time as well. It will go away smile just make sure you keep reading the responses. I kept thinking that maybe it wasn't the withdrawal and that something else was wrong but eventually it petered out. Some days will be better than others and even now I wouldn't say that it has completely cleared up so stay strong smile it will pass 
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I slept well last night, and woke feeling decent. But within an hour or so I started feeling awful again, gas churning in my abdomen, weak, and a little nauseated. I feel sick right now. I too worry at times that this should have resolved by now and that there might be something seriously wrong. I have been a little scared at times, particularly with the weight loss. Thank you for the support, it would have been a lot worse without it I am a couple of days into week 8 now. Regards, David
  • Posted

Hi David,as Fudgeybear says,stick with it you've come to far to go back.

your doing really well.

myself I'm sticking with 12.5mg untill the end of the week,then I'm going to begin very slowly down to 7.5mg.  Like you I've got some terrible Stomack cramps so will see how I go.

The problem Im dealing with at the moment with though,is my husband had a Prostate Biopsy Monday and he's been really ill since,I've had the paramedics out twice,and since I don't drive they've just taken him to AE.

so right now I'm worrying more about him.

Anyway David keep it up,and I'll pray for us all.

• Posted

Hi Norma,

Are you following the CITA withdrawal method to the 'T' ??  

Have you guys who are breaking the tablet tried to ask your practictioner for the liquid form - it might be easier to manage the dosage.

Best wishes all.

• Posted

Hi calmer,no I'm not rolling it to the "T" I'm doing the Cita method then halveing it again,so very slow. Then if I have a bad week or so,I stay at that 

ammount for an extra week or two,to let my Tum settle a bit.

my GP useless so he's probly never heard of the liquid.

But I'm comeing at the moment no rush.

That goes for you just take your time,and once you've dropped down,if you feel unwell just stay at that mg for awhile longer,never go back up,don't be tempted.   I think you'll be fine because your preparing .

take care and remember vit D does help. Sunshine best.

• Posted

I m so sorry to hear your husband is poorly I hope he's better soon.

you re all doing so well keep going,I forgot say watch out for an intense angry feeling,I know we re all different and a lot of people might not get it .

take care x

• Posted

Oh,I've been there Fudgeybear ,it's calmed down a little at the moment,I think because I'm stabling out a bit,but it will probley come back when I WD more.  My poor husband has really had it hard with me,temper and Tummy pain my main problem.  He's gone in Hostpital this afternoon,but I think he's in the best place. Because at the moment I'm the worse "nurse" on earth,no patience whatsoever.

keep popping up Fudgeybear even though your off the Mirt.

your a good inspiration for a lot of people with your expertise of WD

take care and look after yourself. 

• Posted

Aw thanks Norma,I m no expert I'm just an ordinary wife and mam who accidentlly fell into this hell,people like Rose,Jo,Susan and Manuel helped me,and I always vowed that if I could one person through this, I would.

you take care and hide all sharp objects😊 you re getting closer to hat finishing line !! 

I hope your husband is feeling well very soon xx

• Posted

Thank you very much forthe advice Norma, I intend to take your advice when the time is ready - I hope you stay with us and keep us posted on your journey off Mirt.

Best wishes

• Posted

Morning Calmer,I wish my Tum was the same as your name lol.

Im going to give dropping down to 7.5as from next week,so just hopeing it don't get any worse.  I'll keep in touch. Take care

• Posted

Hi Norma, good luck Norma, hope your tum settles soon smile.

Best wishes for 7.5 smile

• Posted

Thank you Calmer,My Hubby's in Hostpital so I don't know if this is the right time to WD further,but I'm going to as I've got to do it sometime,and I think it may help if your minds on other people ect.

i hope for the best for you to.  Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.