Mirtazapine withdrawl

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I've just found this link and it seems just what I'm looking for. I've been on Mirtazapine for 6 months but my anxiety problems never seemed to improve. The doctor upped me from 30 to 45 and then the nightmare began. I was scared of everything and couldn't leave the house. I saw him again and he dropped me to 15 and 10 of Citalopram. Coming down off Mirt is terrible. I've had massive withdraw for 4 days now. Scared, shaking ,hot ,cold, cant eat I've lost a stone. Today's a little bit better but I still can't raise the courage to take the dog for a walk. I'm due to up the Citolopram to 20 in a few days, I pray this work 'cos this is misery.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Chin up Chris. I thought it was only me. Thanks for the reply, I know it doesn't help you, but now I know this is a standard reaction it seems a lot less scary. I took 20 mg last night to taper off a bit more gradual. Hopefully by the weekend we should have got through the worst of it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Mirtazapine now for nearly 14 weeks. Started at 15, increased to 30 then to 45 and back down to 30. Didn't matter what dose I was on didn't make any difference other than make me feel tired all the time and like a zombie during the day! Finally decided that I'd had enough and nurse suggested that I wean off these, dropped down to 15 for a week and then 15 every other day. Can't wait to get these horrible tablets out of my system!!! 

• Posted

My second night on 15mg and I’m suffering a bit, well a lot to be honest with my mood but reluctant to take a bit more. I hope tomorrow is better at least I have some zopiclone for sleep otherwise I think I’ll be awake all night 
    • Posted

Good on ya. The bloody things ought to be banned. I've had some hard times in my life but this ranks as some of my worst.

• Posted

Never want to feel like this again and I'm hoping that I can manage without tablets.

• Posted

Hello Birdy, I was a little bit better yesterday but today's crap. I feel so anxious. I'm seriously considering whether I want to carry on with Citrolapram when this is over. I'm with you , I reckon no tablets is better than this.

• Posted

Hi, im on my 4week without mirtazapine. I tried to WD once before but felt terrible even though I was only on a small dose of 7.5 for a year. I dropped to 3.75 for 4wks then dropped a day every 2wks if that makes sense. I haven't suffered much just headaches and a bit of nausea. I really think its best to go down slowly..very slowly.

• Posted

Hi Frimley , jus wondering how your going mate ?? Are you still going thru Mirtazapine Withdrawals? ? If so what symptoms do you have ?? Do you have any leg spasms ?? Hope your ok and best wishes for the future mate. . Lloyd from Oz
    • Posted

Hello Lloyd, another bad night last night. Sweats, weird dreams, anxiety. Just got up now, used to be up and out with my dog by 7 before all this. Last night was not as bad as some previous ones. I wish I'd never seen Mirtazapine I really do. I'm supposed to be starting Citalopram but I'm having serious doubts. If it don't work out that means I've got to go through all of this again.

• Posted

Oh my goodness this sounds a lot like what I’m going through. I was on citalopram for five years for anxiety and it changed my life for the better, last year though a doctor told me to take a break from it so I very slowly come off it. Two months later I could feel the anxiety creeping back in so I asked the doctor if I could go back on it. The doctor said let’s give mirtazipine a try, so I did. I slept better but had terrible anxiety during the day for which I had to take beta blockers. I stuck with this for five months and then I admitted defeat. I begged to go back onto the citalopram so the doctor put me on 10mg. I asked if I needed to come off the mirtazipine slowly and she said no just swap them over, so I did. I hit rock bottom and even attempted to take my own life. I’ve had to take diazepam and zoplicone to ease what I’m going through but I’m really struggling. I keep telling myself that’s it’s only been eight weeks and that’s I’ll  get there in the end because I have before but I’m really struggling. From what I do know I feel that the citalopram is better for anxiety but we are all different. I haven’t had any side effects from the citalopram other than insomnia and increased anxiety but it could be the mirtazipine withdrawal that is doing that. I can’t believe the doctor has done this to me. I’m here if you need to talk though.
    • Posted

Hi Frimley, just wondering how your doing now mate? ? Are you getting any relief from Mirtazapine Withdrawals? ? Did you start taking Citalopram if so hows that going? ? Take care an best wishes for the future mate. .. Lloyd from Oz
  • Posted

Hi Frimley, I'm on both these drugs. Citalopram 40mgs and am cutting down on the Mirtazapine, currently taking 11.25mgs. Been on the Citalopram for 13 years! This works well for me but think I've got used to it! Been on the Mirtazapine for a year and hate it. Don't think it did much for my anxiety, that's why am cutting down. I understand it's best to cut down really slowly as the withdrawals are worse. Perhaps cutting down too much in one go is why your withdrawals are more severe. So trying keeping the cuts small may help.

• Posted

Hello Vikki. Yeah I've heard this a few times. The GP says cut it by 30 but it's not him that spends a week or more shaking, sweating and being anxious. I'm taking 15 Mirt and 10 Vital at the moment but it's hard.

• Posted

I'm currently cutting down on my Mirtazapine VIkki, done a week from 30 to 15 and am now doing a week of every other night. So far, so good. Can't wait to get these out of my system, they've done nothing for me. 

• Posted

Hello Birdy, I think the GP should have cut me down by half, 45 to 15 was too much too soon.
    • Posted

Am the same - can't wait to get off this drug but going to take the tapering slow to avoid as much withdrawal symptoms as possible. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello Vikki, I don't blame you, take it as slow as you can because this withdrawal is helI, took my first dose of 20 mg Citralopram this morning so I'm hoping to see some improvement today, Good luck.

• Posted

Im on both 2 same as you ive tapered down from 45mg to zero now just 2 days ago. Felt as if the mitrazapine wasnt really making any difference but put on over 2 stone ive actually been ok compared too some stories ive read xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.